np: UU - Six Deadly Suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chansey does a very nice job at passing Wish too. The downside is that Chansey only has one usable offensive move.

I've noticed that Arcanine has been gaining more widespread use, especially as a lead. Scarfed sets and Life Orb Mixed Leads seem to be particularly common. I'm having trouble dealing with their massive damage output, but Slowbro seems to be a somewhat effective counter. However, some of them even pack Toxic just for him. :(

That's a hard call. If it's LRcanine, they can just Toxic on the switch and bring in their bulky water to break your substitute (or defensive poison to absorb toxic, if available). It's not hard to predict, either, once you've become accustomed to seeing them - Moltres <3 to come in on anything that can't setup Stealth Rock or break its substitute. Really annoying pain the butts.

How do you deal with SubRoost Moltres? It Pressure and Toxic stalls insanely well. I rely on Hariyama Whirlwind to phaze it out and hopefully let SR kill it, or Drapion can do the same or Taunt it. Drapion gets hurt pretty badly by Flamethrower though. Or Moltres will Roost to full health as I phaze.

RestTalk + Fire Resist Pokemon comes to mind. Milotic would be a prime example.

A slightly more offensive approach would be Azumerril. Waterfall the Sub and follow up with Aqua Jet.

The obvious best counter for LRcanine is Milotic, restalk variants dont care about Toxic, and even regular Recover Milotics dont the defense boost.

With Moltres...same thing. Milotic is probably the "best" counter for all threats in the current metagame. Thats probably why Shaymin is so popular....

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not many people run Rest Talk Milotic, do they? The ones I've faced always seem to prefer Recover/Surf/Status/Ice Beam, and a few Hazers.

Water types are only viable checks to Moltres during the early game when they haven't been worn down too badly by Toxic (or they're Rest Talkers). You're going to need to accompany them with Stealth Rock if you truly want it gone. Otherwise, the rest of your opponent's team will just stall you out until you have no fire resists and poison immunities left, and it'll Roost away whatever damage it took prior to finish you off.

It's beatable; it's just nearly auto-lose if you don't beat it as soon as possible. Unless you're stall, anyways...

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Clefable deals with Moltres pretty well, especially if it is running Encore. It can come in on both Toxic and Flamethrower with little problem, then either Encore its Substitute and force it to switch, or just set up Stealth Rock as it does meagre damage with Flamethrower.

Moltres stops a standard Arcanine lead quite well, although I've seen some using Hidden Power Rock in that final slot to get the hit on it, and Moltres needs to be wary of switching in on a Toxic. I personally prefer HP Grass to get the hits on Kabutops and Omastar, as well as doing enough damage to Slowbro switchins to force it to Slack Off as I switch or Toxic. Like Heysup mentioned, Milotic stops it pretty well too. Sleep Talk Milotic is quite underrated - when it is asleep, good luck taking it out with anything bar a Shaymin Seed Flare or Roserade Leaf Storm. Rest / Sleep Talk / Surf / Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse works pretty well.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
Speaking of counters, how do you beat a defensive Altaria? The DD version is stopped by a combination of Registeel and Slowbro, but I can't seem to break down defensive versions.

It's interesting, because in OU, having a dragon slayer is second nature, but in UU, Altaria becomes a bitch.

Jynx?

Is it just me, or are there more jynx then ever? I'm not having trouble with tem, since it can't touch my defensive core of chansey, milotic or registeel, but my offensive core, of blaziken and shaymin is outsped and ko'ed, so it can be troublesome if the opponet has good prediction on the double switch.
Although not troublesome, it seems as if hitmonlee is in everyother battle, thank god that not many of them are scarved, as it means swellow and shaymin rapes them.

Oh, just remembered, offensive milotic is doing great in this metagame I think. Switch him in on the abundence of fire types, and ice beam the shaymin switch in. It hits like a truck of bricks. It's also surprisinlgy fast, it outspeeds heysup's blaziken, which is becoming less common though...

Speaking of counters, how do you beat a defensive Altaria? The DD version is stopped by a combination of Registeel and Slowbro, but I can't seem to break down defensive versions.

It's interesting, because in OU, having a dragon slayer is second nature, but in UU, Altaria becomes a bitch.
Lapras and Regice should do it. They can deal over 51% damage with STAB Ice Beam without significant EV investment, meaning Altaria won't be able to Roost stall them, and with Rest and Sleep Talk you remove Altaria's ability to incapacitate you with Toxic or Sing. They take little damage in return from Flamethrower and Dragon Pulse, since they're running off minimum Sp. Atk. Steelix and Registeel, too, can usually survive Flamethrower and either strike it down or status it. They're completely immune to Toxic as well.

All checks need to watch out for Perish Song, though - especially the slower ones that rely on dealing near-K.O. damage to take it down.

Well, Ice attacks in general work... so bulky waters once again. Rhydon can come in on the defensive Alteria's and Stone Edge them to Hell even if they are roosting. Alteria is hardly a threat IMO.

So, at the end of the month, will a NU list be created?

I would assume that the UU list would be everything that was a UU standard in the month of March, any suspects that get voted down from BL, and any OU Pokemon that fall from grace, and then NU would be every current UU not on that list.

Of course, this makes the slight assumption that we don't lose any important UUs to OU in the coming month, but Milotic is the only notable one that seems in danger of that.

Well, Ice attacks in general work... so bulky waters once again. Rhydon can come in on the defensive Alteria's and Stone Edge them to Hell even if they are roosting. Alteria is hardly a threat IMO.
EDIT:
Slowbro needs near max Sp. Atk Evs to outdamage Altaria's Roost because it doesn't get STAB on Ice Beam (and Roost removes the flying weakness), so that doesn't work for the usual bulky sets. They'll just be Toxic or Perish Song stalled. Azumarill is an exception for being physical, having huge attack and STAB priority, but it only works slightly better since defensive Altaria pour most of their EVs into Defense. Milotic works, too, for being faster than Altaria, so it can hit it before Roost takes away its flying type. Rhydon works, but is easy to wall afterwards and can still be Toxic'd on the switch.

I personally find most Altaria are either DDancers (which are stopped by anything faster that can take their still-underwhelming attacks from DDancing once) or Specs. Specs Altaria is walled by anything with a decent SpDef: I've used Hitmontop, Hariyama, Probopass, Registeel, and basically anything not hit SE by the current attack to stop Specs. As for DDancers, I use either a phazer (most are bulky enough to take the hit) or my own DDance Feraligatr (after one Dragon Dance, it's an outspeed and OHKO with Ice Punch, and no Altaria can OHKO Feraligatr).

Speaking of which, I'm really surprised DDance Feraligatr doesn't get more notice. Only Bulky waters can really stop it, and if it gets enough DDances up then it can even break those in three hits or so. It's surprisingly effective.

I just wanted to say that the number of Fake Out Ambipom's in UU right now is astonishing. I carry a Spiritomb, and it's always my first switch into it. And it's ALWAYS Fake Out. Protect Swellow would seemingly mess it up pretty bad too, and I've seen a fair-few lead Swellows.

At least you've been able to meet requirement... All I play is UU but I've yet to pass 1450. Anyways, I've found that Hitmontop is as useful as ever (See: TechniTop).

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
So the test ends today... I wonder how many voters we will have this time. Hopefully, many more than the OU suspect tests!

Testing may extend to April 1st, depending on what the mods say. Don't give up on ladder. Just spam Shaymin, Specs Fires, and Honchkrow. SubRoost Moltres is a killer too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)