np: UU - Six Deadly Suspects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Prior to counting the bold nominations it was determined that after throwing out those nominations with only 1 vote that anything that received over 10% (with a slight +, - factor in % considered) of the overall nominations would be deemed a suspect for the intent of this process. Anyway, here are the suspects thus far. Due to the lack of quality in the votes, unfortunately, only 36 of all the nominations were actually counted. That's unacceptable guys, we need more quality!

UU Suspects:
1- Gallade
2- Abomasnow
3- Staraptor
4- Raikou
5- Froslass
6- Crobat

This will now serve as the "UU Discussion Thread" for testing, use it to discuss any changes you note between the suspect-less metagame and your previous experiences in the last months. This thread will be unlocked once Doug modifies the UU ladder, at his earliest convenience of course.

Read PR to see possible changes to the process!

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can refer back to the old thread for information on this process, but I'll be using this post for further elaboration to accurately explain and clarify any confusion.

The Plan
  1. Suspect will be removed from the UU ladder to experience a different metagame.
  2. After approximately a month of this metagame a process of voting with begin and using your experiences prior to the removal of the suspects and during, you will judge whether or not you believe any of the Pokemon can reasonably function in UU. It's important to remember, any decision made in voting now will not be set-in-stone and can be reexamined in the future.
  3. The intended goal, in order to earn voting rights, is to obtain a rating 1600 or greater coupled with a deviation of 55 or less by the end of March 31st.
  4. The result of the vote will determine whether a Suspect is identified as BL and if not it will be reintroduced to the UU ladder.
  5. Finally, the process will begin again to determine if there are still any remaining suspects to be had in the revised UU ladder.
After talking with Caelum and Great Sage, we have come to the following agreement:

1) The required rating is 1600/55. Their is no upper tier.
2) A paragraph will have to be sent to us in order to see that you have been testing throughout the whole period and are voting according to the expected definitions of BL.

Suspects are gone! Ratings are reset! Let's get testing!

Also, as a note we will be watching this thread closer so please stay on topic

First impressions:

A lot of Electrode leads. I bet everyone with a Crobat swapped it out for an Electrode as soon as the reset happened.

Nothing much else of note. I suppose things are a little easier for my team than before, but not to any noteable extent. Of course, it's only day 1.

No Snovers yet.

And with Electrode comes the Rain. Seriously rain is all over the place. I am running a Ludicolo to combat them, and he can also function as a stand alone sweeper.
Still think the ladder is slow, or maybe everyone else wasn't up yet :)
Don't think Snover can bring enough to warrant a hail team, so I'm not surprised he is going unused.

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First we need to determine which of the current suspects are actually going to stay banned.

Ambipom likes both Crobat AND Frosslass out of the picture. He is now a great lead, with no Inner Focus or common Steel leads. I am also going to test the Last Resort sweeper with Magneton/Probopass to KO steels, although that may just be an inferior Linoone.

Ambipom was still pretty decent even with Frosslass and Crobat there.

My team just seems right for going through UU = )

The intended goal, in order to earn voting rights, is to obtain a rating 1655 or greater coupled with a deviation of 65 or less.
I need to talk more to Caelum, but we might require a paragraph as well like with the OU suspect tests

Restraint seems to have taken a vacation. I've been playing for 4+ hours and I've encountered only one team that could be considered stall.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok. A few people were confused about this so I'm going to try to clarify the rating requirements and how you calculate them.

STEP 1: Log onto the Smogon University server on ShoddyBattle.
If you are not able to connect via the main connection screen, click the "Advanced" option. The details for the server are as follows:
Host: shoddybattle.smogon.com
Port: 50000

STEP 2: In the main chat window, type "/record yourusername". So, for me, I would type /record Stellar.

STEP 3: A window should pop up that looks like this one:

Here you see all the various ratings for the different ladders on the server.

STEP 4: For this test, you need to focus on the UnderUsed ladder. The section for the UU ladder is found third on the list and looks like this:

For this test, the Conservative Rating Estimate (CRE) does not matter. This is the score that is displayed on the leaderboard, but a high CRE is not required for voting rights. You do, however, need to achieve a rating of 1655 or above and a deviation of 65 or below. I will now explain how to calculate rating and deviation.

STEP 5: In order to find your rating, you add the two numbers found to the right of "Rating:". The, you divide the resulting sum by 2. So in this case, it would look like this.
(1150 + 1850)/2 = 3000/2 = 1500
1500 would be the rating.

STEP 6: In order to find your deviation, you take the larger number found to the right of "Rating:" and subtract the lower number found to the right of "Rating:" and divide the difference by 2. It will look like this:
(1850 - 1150)/2 = 700/2 = 350
350 would be the deviation.

Therefore, the stats would be:
1500 / 350

If your rating is above 1655 and your deviation is below 65 at the conclusion of the test, you will more than likely be able to vote. However, it is still undecided if a short paragraph will be required.

I hope no one is confused now. :)

First thing I noticed was no hail! It seems people don't want a seemingly useless snover on their team in order to simply start the hail. Will edit in more later as I play more.

Jumpluff is another usable Sunny Starter, with Sunny Day, Sleep Powder, U Turn and Memento at its disposable.
Rain seems so much more efficient than sun though. Water types get doubled speed (Swift Swim) and a STAB boost from Rain, while in sun, Grass types get double speed (Chlorophyll) and Fire types get the STAB boost.
Without Abomasnow, Hail cannot sponge BoltBeam or Water/Electric combinations, so Hail is dropping. Snover cannot withstand these attacks, so at the moment it seems Snover was not as much of a problem as everyone was saying in the nominations.

The only major change for me is the higher diversity in leads. I've seen stuff trying to replace the suspects, like Swellows doing Staraptor's job, and Roserades doing Frosslass' job. Both not doing the jobs near as well.

It's still early in the test, so we'll have to see how this all plays out.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
First Impressions: Sandstorm seems to be more dominant then hail. Roserade seems to have taken frosslass's job as the premier spiker. Mismagius is a lot more common, while I have yet to see registeel.

I would like to comment on the variety of leads I have seen...
-Roserade (spiker)
-Electrode (weather)
-Typhlosion (CS)
-Swellow (Poison Orb)
-Primape (CS)
-Manectric (CS, by me)
-Arcanine (Priority, CB)
-Ambipom (Priority)
-Hippotas (weather)

It also seems as if there is a great variety of teams, which is good. I have not seen any pokemon too commonly. However, the weather teams are beasts, especially rain.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I never said hail wasn't useful at all hhjj, i just said in my experience sandstorm is more common. Of course hail is still useable (although obviously it isn't as good as it use to be).

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Psst, I'm not supposed to be posting in Stark but this isn't a process thread so I think it's okay.

Firstly, I really only support the banning of Gallade, Staraptor, and now Abomasnow (possibly Raikou but I never had problems with it!). Crobat didn't really "break" anything other than making set up leads cry and starting up weather (but since "anything can provide weather" I'd say the weather abuser would be "broken" in this case, not Crobat), but more importantly it countered the hell out of Shaymin and Blaziken. It was really not that bad for the metagame; it didn't really have any negative effects that I noticed.

Froslass, meh.

So I'm working on a new "creative" set I thought up and was wondering: What are your guys's responses to Shaymin?

Registeel, opposing Shaymin, CM Missy, and a lot of revenge killing.

A lot of people seem to like Muk and Chansey to take it on as well but I'm not big fans of them.

I thought Swellow would do a good job but apparently not lol, Swellow has a terrible time dealing with him.

If you have good prediction, Arcanine and other Fire-types are extremely helpful.

And there is always Altaria too ^_^

But losing Crobat, Raikou, and Abomasnow hurt when it comes to stopping Shaymin, there is no denying that.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Taunt is on everything and everything's mother at the moment, and is really aiding Baton Pass teams. Though I don't see why this strategy wouldn't have worked just as well with the Suspects around (all I can think of is having to take weaker hits during set-ups).

I've been using Dual Screen Uxie as my lead, but it's not as effective against Taunters (and sometimes you completely forgot such a Pokémon can use Taunt).

Gligar is being used a fair bit, doing exactly what Gliscor does for BP teams in OU.

Shaymin is pretty damn strong, but a lot of things can scare it off and Seed Flare's PP is usually gone rather quickly.

Starting to see a lot of subpunch azum's instead of the straight up CB variant. Since he scares a lot of pokes out getting the sub up seems pretty easy.

Seen more missy's than I remember but they don't see too hard to handle

Haven't faced any Sunny Day teams but seen plenty of sand and rain. Regirock with sand is just a pain.

Anyone been using honchkrow? he doesn't have u-turn+intimidate but he can come in on sleep, possibly get a free setup, or trap with pursuit. Come think of it I haven't seen too many wallbreakers. I haven't faced any nidos, torterras, or magmortars. Seen a few blaziken but imo his STABs dont give him much wiggle room.

I've been using Dual Screen Uxie as my lead, but it's not as effective against Taunters (and sometimes you completely forgot such a Pokémon can use Taunt).
You could try TrickScarfing your Uxie. Trick/Screens/other support move lets you disable any taunters and shorten weather leads to 5 turns of weather. If you go up against a dual screen lead, you can even steal their light clay. downside is you only get 5 turns of screens, but it could still work.

208 speed EVs lets you outspeed Electrode with the scarf. 108 if you run Timid/Jolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)