np: UU - Here It Goes Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Will nominating roserade even help against stall teams? I'm pretty sure LO roserade is a very important poke some people use when they are trying to break stall.

Nominating Roserade under what characteristic?

Offensive?
Scarf - Specs - LO

All can be stopped by almost always by Regice, Registeel, Chansey, and occasionally Roserade; defensively speaking. Offensively, anything that outruns it is pretty much a threat to it.

Support?
Spikes are easy to get up, true, but since Roserade is no longer hitting as hard, it has more counters... sort of.

Now that I think of it. Froslass needs retesting. It only got voted to BL because people were to lazy to deal with it.

Leech Seed was used 37 percent in the April statistics, 28 in May. And with Natural Cure Chansey can't do anything to Shaymin while Shaymin passes the Leech Seed to another poke or repeatedly Seed Flares it regaining a crapload of health.

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Now that I think of it. Froslass needs retesting. It only got voted to BL because people were to lazy to deal with it.
God no, please. Are you serious? You think stall is bad now? Just wait until stall has not only a WAY better option to get spikes on the field but instant double ghost to stop everyone's Foresight Hitmontop.

*cough* all you guys who complain stall is broken as hell or overcentralizing the metagame.. should just vote Roserade as a suspect. It is a standard spiker/cleric for stall teams.
If you want stall to die, nom Chansey, people. Any other special wall is much easier to deal with. Registeel lacks reliable recovery making it much easier to wear down, and Umbreon lacks T-wave meaning that tons of offensive pokes get much safer switches against it. If Chansey goes away stall will become much more vulnerable to things like NP Croak, NP Houndoom and LO Moltres.

Also, Chansey is one of the few pure stall pokes used on all these identical stall teams. Hitmontop, Milotic, Roserade, Altaria, all can be used offensively aswell, whereas Chansey is basically a pure stall Pokemon, so removing it will do little to hamper offense. If not Chansey, then Spiritomb would be a good choice aswell.

If you want stall to die, nom Chansey, people. Any other special wall is much easier to deal with. Registeel lacks reliable recovery making it much easier to wear down, and Umbreon lacks T-wave meaning that tons of offensive pokes get much safer switches against it. If Chansey goes away stall will become much more vulnerable to things like NP Croak, NP Houndoom and LO Moltres.

Also, Chansey is one of the few pure stall pokes used on all these identical stall teams. Hitmontop, Milotic, Roserade, Altaria, all can be used offensively aswell, whereas Chansey is basically a pure stall Pokemon, so removing it will do little to hamper offense. If not Chansey, then Spiritomb would be a good choice aswell.
All I can say is I strongly disapprove of just picking and choosing Pokemon to ban in order to achieve a desired metagame. It won't end well.

All I can say is I strongly disapprove of just picking and choosing Pokemon to ban in order to achieve a desired metagame.
Ironically enough, this is what Smogon is doing and has been doing from the start.

If I am not mistaken we're at least trying to be subjective here, whether or not we're succeeding is not really an excuse to stop trying to be subjective at all.

If I am not mistaken we're at least trying to be subjective here, whether or not we're succeeding is not really an excuse to stop trying to be subjective at all.
Don't you mean objective? It hurts my head when I try to think how anyone can possibly try and fail to be subjective.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ironically enough, this is what Smogon is doing and has been doing from the start.
If this is really what you think the suspect tests are then I suggest that you wake up and pay attention. If you don't think the suspects are broken, say that and not "we are randomly picking pokemon to ban", since that is blatantly false. Not everyone that disagrees with you is misguided.

Geez, read the statement I'm quoting before you jump down my throat:

All I can say is I strongly disapprove of just picking and choosing Pokemon to ban in order to achieve a desired metagame.
Pretty sure this is true. He didn't even use the word "randomly" like you did.

God no, please. Are you serious? You think stall is bad now? Just wait until stall has not only a WAY better option to get spikes on the field but instant double ghost to stop everyone's Foresight Hitmontop.
Pursuit, Hitmontop, Ambipom, Taunt, Drapion, Levitators, Fliers, SR, Spikes, and hell while not all these are 100% reliable but there are ways around Double Ghost + Spikes.

Personally, I hate stall, but this is no where near as bad as old uu's ....

Chansey - Rotom - Froslass - Blah Blah Blah

due to more options of breaking the stalling team open.

You can make perfectly good stall without Chansey. I had some rather nice Trick Room vs Stall matches against panamaxis, the current #1 on the ladder, who didn't use a Chansey.

In fact, if we were to ban any Stall pokemon, it would probably be Roserade, as it is the most difficult to replace. Milotic banned? Use Slowbro or another bulky water; there's a lot. Steelix/Registeel banned? use the other one. Spiritomb banned? there's always Rotom or Dusclops. Hitmontop banned? Claydol's a great spinner, and Blastoise can too. Chansey banned? Well, apparently it's not wholly necessary. But the only other Spikers are Omastar, Cloyster, Qwilfish, Glalie, and Cacturne. None of them have Roserade's reliable recovery, and they all have some rather nasty weaknesses.

That said, I don't think Roserade needs a ban. I just want Honchkrow and Shaymin back. That's all.

So, on that note, when do we need to meet the rating requirements by?

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You can make perfectly good stall without Chansey. I had some rather nice Trick Room vs Stall matches against panamaxis, the current #1 on the ladder, who didn't use a Chansey.

In fact, if we were to ban any Stall pokemon, it would probably be Roserade, as it is the most difficult to replace. Milotic banned? Use Slowbro or another bulky water; there's a lot. Steelix/Registeel banned? use the other one. Spiritomb banned? there's always Rotom or Dusclops. Hitmontop banned? Claydol's a great spinner, and Blastoise can too. Chansey banned? Well, apparently it's not wholly necessary. But the only other Spikers are Omastar, Cloyster, Qwilfish, Glalie, and Cacturne. None of them have Roserade's reliable recovery, and they all have some rather nasty weaknesses.

That said, I don't think Roserade needs a ban. I just want Honchkrow and Shaymin back. That's all.

So, on that note, when do we need to meet the rating requirements by?
First, I think that the test ends in a couple of days, its been nearly a month.

And I would hate seeing Shaymin back in UU. It's too damn powerful, especially with Crobat looking more BL by the second.

Honchkrow, I haven't missed much. Was an annoying bastard to deal with, but I got by. I'm pretty neutral on it tight now.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
And I would hate seeing Shaymin back in UU. It's too damn powerful, especially with Crobat looking more BL by the second.

Honchkrow, I haven't missed much. Was an annoying bastard to deal with, but I got by. I'm pretty neutral on it tight now
Yeah I am really glad to see shaymin banned more than any other poke really; I don't find the other 2 pokes nearly as overpowered.

And one question; For suspect voting do we need to have the required rating and deviation at the moment the voting takes place, or simply have reached it at some point?

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's not too surprising. Chansey, like Blissey in OU, is a great wall but very predictable. People only use stall when they want to stay at the top of the leaderboard, but any good player is usually able to take advantage of stall teams because of that. It's cool to see panamaxis is anti-metagaming the anti-metagamers. There are plenty of great special walls in UU because all of the good Special Atkers except Yanmega are OU already. Registeel, Altaria, Umbreon, Spiritomb, Drapion, etc, are all great options for special tanking that work very well in place of Chansey, who is essentially a free switchin for any Fighting-type.

In fact, if we were to ban any Stall pokemon, it would probably be Roserade, as it is the most difficult to replace.
We don't ban things just to change the metagame, we ban them because they are broken. IMO, Roserade doesn't do anything to break the metagame because of how easy it is to wall, combined with its horrible Defense. With Shaymin, Honchkrow and Crobat gone, we'll be able to see if Roserade really is that good!

Geez, read the statement I'm quoting before you jump down my throat:
Pretty sure this is true. He didn't even use the word "randomly" like you did.
Umm, he said "i disapprove of just picking and choosing (aka randomly) pokemon to ban" and you said "smogon has been doing this from the start", as if you were suggesting that we are just picking and choosing pokemon to ban for no reason. If it just came out differently than you intended, then w/e sorry lets not derail the thread.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Will nominating roserade even help against stall teams? I'm pretty sure LO roserade is a very important poke some people use when they are trying to break stall.
Nominate Roserade? Not having Roserade, Shaymin and the removal of Raikou means that those bulky waters will never die. Milotic and Slowbro in particular are checked by Roserade and if Roserade leaves, CM Slowbro is going to rule the metagame (I'm pretty sure).

Question: How are we going to get those BL people to come to UU status again? I'm not familiar with the process. I really miss Froslass because this metagame lacks some really good spikers.

We don't ban things just to change the metagame, we ban them because they are broken. IMO, Roserade doesn't do anything to break the metagame because of how easy it is to wall, combined with its horrible Defense. With Shaymin, Honchkrow and Crobat gone, we'll be able to see if Roserade really is that good!
If you'll notice, I said later in my post that we shouldn't ban Roserade, and that's exactly why. It's not really broken, and, TBH, neither is stall. It's perfectly beatable, provided you're willing to take a risk to gain the initiative.

Also, I wouldn't say Shaymin and Honchkrow's ban is a foregone conclusion quite yet, though I will admit I haven't seen a whole lot of support for their return in this topic.

Is it really that easy to wall? If you lack Registeel or Chansey there's basically zero safe switch-ins to the LO set, Sludge Bomb or Leaf Storm will do big damage on most anything else......and if it has HP Ground and Sleep Powder it can easily beat Registeel anyway.

Also, I wouldn't say Shaymin and Honchkrow's ban is a foregone conclusion quite yet, though I will admit I haven't seen a whole lot of support for their return in this topic.
I will most definitely be voting Shaymin to BL, especially since as someone already said, I doubt that Crobat will be coming back to help check it again. Honchkrow I would not mind seeing in UU again, on the basis that it is not that much better than Absol anyway, who got exactly zero BL nominations.

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
Nominate Roserade? Not having Roserade, Shaymin and the removal of Raikou means that those bulky waters will never die. Milotic and Slowbro in particular are checked by Roserade and if Roserade leaves, CM Slowbro is going to rule the metagame (I'm pretty sure).
Since when are bulky waters unbeatable? a simple toxic and they will forever be crippled. And it's not as if roserade is a guaranteed free switch in to slowbro; a well timed psychic(or ice beam in milotics case) will hurt it quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)