Your pets are more important than your kids?

Lately, I have been hearing on the radio how there is a pet food bank that is for pet owners who lost their jobs due to the recession etc. and how these food banks are becoming more necessary for those people.

They tend lead it to the subject of how pets are so important, and how they would greet you warmly at you walk through the door, if you treat them right of course. One of the host starts saying how kids that are growing up keep their heads glued to the computer and not even saying anything, so a pet must be much better.

That led me to thinking, is it really? I have never had a pet before so I would not know- but are they serious? Are they actually suggesting that a pet will take care of you? Whose fault, if any, is it? The children treating their parents like a day job? Or just parents that don't know or at least make to effort to understand their kids?

I'm sorry if it seems stupid, but it has been bugging me ever since I heard of it.

One of the host starts saying how kids that are growing up keep their heads glued to the computer and not even saying anything, so a pet must be much better.
I'm glad everybody is the same. And honestly, that comes down to parenting. Animals don't do anything that a child can do (other than suck less money out of you, like Brawley said).

Whoever said that needs a reality check.

I really don't understand why older people have problems with this generation when they raised it. I just find it to be the biggest hypocrisy ever. It's not like this parent can't get their child off the computer if they wanted to.

I have no kids.

I literally, as in just today, payed $800 for my cat to have dental surgery so he can be pain free.

I have never had a pet before so I would not know
Sums up your post right there, but that depends on the kind of person you are.

I can honestly tell you that I went through a nasty bout with depression at one point, and my cat single handedly pulled my ass out of that fire. I just bought him and BAM. I went professional and medication help free. So pets can be just what is needed for certain people.

I think we may be the two extremes though; some people respond well to animals and have animals respond well to them. Everyone is different; I personally do consider my cat to be very, very close with me. It's pretty clear by his behaviour that he would rather spend a day with me than anyone else.

Conclusion: A small human child may be able to push a lawnmower, but it certainly won't make me as happy as animals do.

Because I find small human children to be annoying at times and an inconvenience. I accept that animals cannot do alot of things that people can, but for some reason I'm a dick and get frustrated when kids don't grasp simple ideas and just want to finger paint. Babies are especially useless, most baby animals can at least function without constant aid.

I plan on having kids, just for the experience, and see what comes of it. I think I'll just care for them in a different way than I do the animals that I've worked with.

I couldn't argue either side, but my POV is that children can cause lots of trouble and heartache and backache, but have a better "outcome" than an animal. Animals are kind of like the glazed over child, if that makes any sense.

To have a kid is like having a dog that slowly learns to talk
and then rebels, has teen sex, a teen pregnancy, a teen abortion and tells you to fuck yourself because they don't need you. Then they turn about 18 and calm the shit down. This MAY be an exaggeration of the usual, but it certainly has happened before.

and then rebels, has teen sex, a teen pregnancy, a teen abortion and tells you to fuck yourself because they don't need you. Then they turn about 18 and calm the shit down. This MAY be an exaggeration of the usual, but it certainly has happened before.
Dogs rebel?

Anyone who has a kid and a dog and loves or cares about their dog more is just a terrible parent =/

Any reasonably skilled parent will have a decent relationship with their children and would laugh at the thought that pets are becoming more important. To most parents, their children are their lives and they would do anything for them.

Dogs rebel?
No I was being sarcastic in my denouncement of your analysis that kids are basically pets that learn to talk.

Pets are still your moral obliagation, and if you don't care of them it's still abuse. I don't see how it's any more acceptable; if anything, it should be less acceptable because they have fewer places to turn.

Most pets can survive in the world on their own.

Most children would die within weeks on their own.

Infants would die in days or less.

Pets also don't require love and affection to be "normal" (not that a lack of love and affection does not mean abuse). If you have a dog (or especially a cat) and mostly avoid it, but give it food and a home it will turn out fine. If you have a child and all you did was give it food and a home, he/she would most likely have all sorts of issues.

=

Pets also don't require love and affection to be "normal" (not that a lack of love and affection does not mean abuse). If you have a dog (or especially a cat) and mostly avoid it, but give it food and a home it will turn out fine. If you have a child and all you did was give it food and a home, he/she would most likely have all sorts of issues.

Dogs actually do need affection, be it from pack members, people or just other random dogs. They are social animals, so says university level mammology.

Being more needy doesn't mean children are more of a moral obligation to you, it just means they are more needy.

I like my pet (a bird), but it would be hard to put it over a child. Perhaps ill know better when I have one my self.

On a lighter note, every time I skim the topics here, this one reads out as *Your penis is more...*. lol

in my culture pets are not that given much deal as what I've heard in other countries
(is it true that you could be imprisoned if you don't take your dog for a walk??)

This topic is actually leading to a point where most of the people ACTUALLY agree that pets are more important than kids.

Kids- live for 40 years
Dogs- live for 12 years

lol

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Some of us don't have any kids, but have pets?

Also I hate kids, and will never have any, but will probably have pets at some point. So of course I find pets > kids.

Most pets can survive in the world on their own.
This is not true. Domesticated animals cannot survive in the wild. I worked at an animal hospital for a few years, and one of the most common problems that we dealt with were wound abscesses on pets that went missing for a few days and were then found. Abscesses are not usually fatal, but that's because they are easy treatable by vets and doctors.

I laugh at people saying that dogs can survive without care better than a human child could...

Maybe in the wild, but what about in a city?

No-one told that dog to look both ways when crossing the street >:0

ARF ARF *screeching tires* KA-THUNK

(Another thing, personally, I would be much more willing to give temporary care of my pet to a stranger than my child if I had one)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)