WSC Megathread III ~ Hiatus

Lookin' really good so far sir. One thing you could do to make it look more action figure-y / plastic-y is lighten some of the coloring and add additional / more noticable highlights.
Well, if the color's any lighter then wouldn't highlights be...less noticable, as opposed to more?
I did try to add highlights though, here (now with cannons/tail flame!(poorly done))

Zipo up there, that is insane. I got the same feeling when I saw Mos-Quitoxe's design for CAP2, that is, mind-blowingly creative.
You might want to make the whole thing wider though, right now the A/B buttons look squashed.
And where the L/R buttons are, it's not symmetrical.
Other than that you deserve a round of applause
*clapclapclapclap*

...we need more people here.
elcheeso Master Win Romeert

Pippy down there: Why yes, well spotted. Thanks much! That'll be fixed in my next post with Venusaur.

Those look nice Claws, but I'd try making that right cannon a little smaller. That might help.

Also, I'll be posting my entry soon. Just need to add a few finishing touches.

Version 3 is ready!

1) Changed colors for the wind-up thing, as well as making it more 8-like
2) Changed some of the outlines
3) Fiddled with the colors a bit, to make it more plastic-y.
A bit more work and it's done, I think. Any more C&C?

Ah excellent. Well done with the clouds, they look really solid now.
I think my last crit would be the eyes. They look quite eerie/creepy right now. Which is certainly what you wouldn't want to find under your Christmas tree.
You don't think making them bigger and shinier would be better?

EDIT: Here's little Venus.

Request C+C before I move on to scrunching them together and adding a present box behind.

They're perfect. Or at least, the most closest thing to perfect you can get with such small things. Charizard looks a bit less plastic-y then the others, though.

Ah excellent. Well done with the clouds, they look really solid now.
I think my last crit would be the eyes. They look quite eerie/creepy right now. Which is certainly what you wouldn't want to find under your Christmas tree.
You don't think making them bigger and shinier would be better?

EDIT: Here's little Venus.

Request C+C before I move on to scrunching them together and adding a present box behind.
This is excellent, and is easily one of the best things I've ever seen since I joined Smogon last year. The only thing I could suggest is to darken the outling of Venusaurs eye-ridge-things (the skin where the top half of his eyes are). Also, try to unify them a bit, for as of now, Venusaur looks like it's floating in mid-air. Other than that, wonderful work ICC! You've been getting better and better since you started out here.

@ Todris - It looks nice. Might wanna' lower our right ring a teeny bit lower to make it appear to be tilted in line with Swablu's body.

@ Zipo - VERY clever. As others have said, the face might need to be moved a bit, or try shading and stretching the right side to give it the appearance of being turned (like in-game sprites).

Here's pretty much my final:

I changed up the outline, and added some outlines to the buttons to make them stand out a bit more. Also widened the whole thing and added some L and R buttons.

Any CC before I transparentize it and call it done? And I don't quite understand what you mean, how to turn the face.

Your final product looks really nice Zip, good job.

A FRIENDLY REMINDER TO ALL CONTESTANTS

load your sprites to tinypic.com (or another permanent image-hosting site) to keep them permanent so that they don't die out as we move on through the weeks.

Woot, many thanks guys! In response to C&C,

Todris: That's correct. But ya see, Charizard doesn't have the size/shape for the necessary highlights (as opposed to Venus who has a huge round face). So I added little toyish things like the line around the neck (like a detachable head) and a screw above it. 'Twas the most I could do.

Toast: Thank you.
Yea, I was showing the individual pieces first so people could C&C, before
before I move on to scrunching them together and adding a present box behind.
before making it a proper picture, basically. Here's WIP:

A bit chaotic. Slightly fixed Venusaur's lid thingies, any darker would make it look dull.

Zipo: Gold seemed like it would add on to the storm of colors, but I tried silver (or gray, whatever, I'm colorblind) and the results weren't half bad!

Which base, colored or metallic? Need to decide before I add the box behind.
EDIT: 'kay, Toast says metallic. My bro says colored. I suppose I need a couple of tiebreakers.
Thanks again guys!

EDIT to Zipo: Awesome Gamebronzor. Don't ever change it, it looks perfect just like that.

Welp, pick one. One's cleaner, one's more colorful with more personality.
I'm really not satisfied with how the box turned out, seeing as I don't know how to make the plastic part look trasparent. And...the box is really small.

Here's my entry:

It's a TomPod! :D What do you think?

(also, I say metallic bases for Claws's. The colored one distract you from the main focus)

@Pippy: It should be called an iRotom. Otherwise, it looks nice.

@ICC: Metallic, they look cleaner and more uniform. Then again I suggested silver/gray whatever, so that really shouldn't be a surprise. And I would say try making the clear part box have a slightly blue tint. It makes it look transparent, for some reason. I dunno why.

@BlueJello: Nice, looks great. I personally would be very upset if I got a lamp as a present, but the sprite looks amazing.

And finally:

~Final Submission
Ziposaki

@ICC: the metallic ones look better. The colored one's kind of distract you from the rest of the sprite.

Here's what I'm working on.

I've had a little trouble with the face and with the sash. I'll make a Sawk lego to go with it. C+C please.

@ ICC - what I would do to make it seem transparent is add a little highlight to the top left side, and use some very very light colored and / or grey lines to discern the back and right walls of the inside of the box.

@ Pippy - Electric / Psychic perhaps? I like it.

@ Zip - very nice entry sir. Best of luck to you!

@ Typhlo - remember to make it 96 x 96, but other than that, it looks great so far!

We have really good submissions this week guys, I'm proud of you, and I'm happy with the results.

Now
there's something I want to ask the general public.

Should we

A) Stretch this Week to Sunday the 25th (fyi, that's Christmas), to continue the Christmas spirit and deliver the toys on the correct date.

or

B) Continue as normal, and do another Christmas related theme next week.

Either one is cool with me, but I just thought that since we had such great work already, it'd be nice to see what else we could produce.

Wow. This week just turned from lonely to decent to amazing.
To Toast, I suggest (B) we end this week and have a new theme on the next. We can't wait another week for more lurking ninjas to emerge with submissions.
Jello: Excellent, though you could have included a wire for plugging into wall sockets. But it's your final so nevermind.
Pippy: Also brilliant, but something funky's going on with the touchpad-circle-whatever. It's not really round. You didn't happen to use Paint's circle tool did you?
See this.
Typh: Ah it's the kangaskhan-hiker guy! Good idea, kinda small, but if it's got Sawk together with it, then that's cool.

And thanks for the suggestions, I'll edit the final into this post once I'm done.

..here.
~Ice-cold Claws
Soumission Finale (Final Submission)
Zipo: I swapped the Blastoise white with Altaria bluish-white. Being slightly colorblind I can't tell much of a difference, but I think it's better. Slightly.
Toast: I couldn't pull of a proper highlight, but I did add the line. It doesn't look too convincing but ah.
Big thanks to all of you, couldn't have finished this without the support.

Good work sir! Don't worry about the box, it looks good. c:

NOW, FOR THE BADAS-
I mean

I'd love to have the honor of bequeathing you all with the grace and elegance of my esteemed work of pixelation.

Looks like Santa brought a bunch of toys this year! And Go-Play was on sale for $17.95, so Santa got it CHEAP!

I'll probably work on it some more, but for now, here's my WIP!

Kill me now. Just kill me.
How can that be a WIP? It's done. There's NOTHING you need to change.
Unless you plan on adding details to the teddy, which I would find unnecessary.

Kill me now. Just kill me.
How can that be a WIP? It's done. There's NOTHING you need to change.
Unless you plan on adding details to the teddy, which I would find unnecessary.
I think I'm gonna' change the color of the text on the Go-Play box to be a little more visible, since the white on light-green is a bit blurry.

Edit: nevermind, any color besides white doesn't really work.

@Typhlotera - I love legos, and I love Nageki & Dageki, so I love your entry. I'd suggest lightening the upper-right outlinking of Nageki and Dageki so that they don't look as flat / solid. Other than that, nice work.

CONTEST CLOSES TOMORROW FOLKS, have all your entries
  • completed
  • transparent
  • saved / loaded to tinpic, imgur, or photobucket to make sure the files are permanantly saved, instead of soon-to-be-broken-iaza-links

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)