USUM UU Viability Ranking Thread V2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that this is a strange nom but:
Heracross B+->A-
Surprisingly enough, I’m not nomming Heracross for its Guts set but rather, I’m nomming it for its Scarf Moxie set. Scarf Moxie is very underprepared for and can easily clean up the lategame. With a choice scarf, Heracross outspeeds the unboosted metagame and can plow through many mons. You easily can eliminate a weakened mon or or come in on something that your opponent thinks that their mon can beat Hera just for it to be decimated. Here’s the set:
Blue Beetle (Heracross) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
This is a simple set and spread. Megahorn and Close Combat are two very powerful STABS, Stone Edge lures and kills the birbs, and Knock Off is a filler move in case you need it. This sets biggest issue is that I wish that it was more accurate. Missing a Megahorn or a Stone Edge that you’re locked into can be a pain in the ass to deal with and will most likely end with you losing Heracross. Everything else is fine with this set though.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-767262922
Here is also a replay that showcases Heracross. Heracross doesn’t do too much (and I also misplayed by thinking that my opponent’s Infernape was banded which led to me losing Heracross) but Heracross was able to safely eliminate Mega Manectric which was my opponent’s best answer to Mega Pidgeot. I was then able to win the rest of the match because of Heracross.

I’ll post more replays if I get more good ones that show off Heracross.

Also special shoutout to Sage for helping me fix the problems that my Scarf Moxie Hera team originally had.
I just quoted this so I can echo my nom here. Since everyone else is talking about the discussion posts I might as well join them and show my own opinion as well.
Serperior A+ to A= Hard Disagree
Why is this thing getting nommed for a drop? Serperior still has so many tricks up its sleeve like for example, the AV set which has seen a lot of succession. It’s still a very centralizing threat that can beat any possible checks to it with the SubSeed set. When I see the snek on my opponent’s team it still scares me and makes me want to play more carefully with my mons so that I don’t lose something that gives Serperior a chance to win the game. I really don’t have much to add to the Serp discussion that already hasn’t been said so to put it bluntly: Serperior should not drop.

Infernape A to A-=Disagree
Alright another UU starter. Infernape should not drop either. It’s Nasty Plot set is criminally underrated and it still has a lot of versatility that people aren’t utilizing. It’s some pretty one dimensional thinking if everyone just thinks that Scarf Infernape is the only viable set when that really isn’t the case. It can screw over mons that should normally check the scarf set when it ends up being np or even sd Infernape. Infernape just really needs some more recognition because it has so many other viable options besides scarf.

Tsareena B to B+=Agree
I have just been loving this mon more and more. Breloom being gone just means that Tsareena’s Band set lost its main competition. I honestly think that Tsareena is the best rapid spinner in the tier. Queenly Majesty prevents her from being revenge killed by Scizor and it’s an amazing ability anyway that compensates for her poor speed tier. Grass types are still popular even after Breloom has left and I think that Tsareena rising should reflect that.

Alolan Muk A- to B+=Agree
I’ve always wondered why this mon has been pretty high up in the vr. It most of the time only gets one opportunity to remove a strong special attacker off of the board and if your opponent plays around this mon correctly, this mon can be deadweight. There are still things out there that can stop A-Muk like Groundium Celebi who is now less seen after the Loom ban. Without any reliable recovery A-Muk can just easily get chipped away at and we also have Hydreigon’s popularity whose specs set can break A-Muk. Specs Primarina can also break A-Muk if you fail at its deadly guessing game.
Rotom Heat B- to B=Agree
I was at one point on the fence of Rotom H rising but you guys now convinced me that Kitten Mittens here should rise. Checking Scizor is such a cool niche that very few viable mons possess. Flying spam is still really relevant which is another thing that the oven checks. It’s still prone to hazards and to easily be worn down anyway but this mon just checks quite a bit of popular threats that a rise is in place for this mon.

Decidueye B- to C+=Disagree
Adaam said almost everything that had to be said for why this mon shouldn’t drop. Breloom was a good partner for Decidueye on Hyper Offense but HO has never been that great of a playstyle anyway. Decidueye still holds its niche as a reliable stallbreaker that should not be underestimated at all. I’m trying to add more things but honestly Adaam said enough for this mon imo.

I don’t really have an opinion on Doublade though but I’m leaning a little more towards dropping it to B-.

Edit: I’m pretty ok with Florges rising though. It’s got some neat role compression but again don’t really have too much of an opinion on her.

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
NO?
Aight so I'm not gonna lie I don't understand what the fuck this is doing as a discussion point. Why would this drop? Breloom just left the tier which makes this mon the big dog on campus in terms of grass mons. It beats a Chandelure by clicking grass stab twice, it beats Malt and Moltres with zhyperbeam, it's a fuckin snek that gets a free Nasty Plot at the same time as clicking a 130 BP STAB. This mon is disgusting and it deserves some respect on it's name. Sub seed is one of the better stallbreakers in the tier, it can function as a defogger, it has a ton of cool utility options such as Defog (as I just said), Glare, Leech Seed, Sub, Taunt, etc. It can even run Taunt + Synthesis which does wonders vs. stall as well. If you give it a grass plate, it almost makes up for it's pathetic base SpA stat as well. Not to mention it's decent bulk and the fact that it's only real competition for grass types in the tier, was just fuckin banned. Please someone explain how this mon deserves to even be remotely close to being mentioned for a downgrade rn. If anything it should be considered rising to S, I don't understand this at all u_u.

Last edited:
Serperior from A+ to A: STRONGLY Disagree

This nom comes off as incredibly out-of-touch at a glance, and I apologize for saying this so bluntly. Serperior was already absurdly good in a Loom-infested metagame, and now that one of UU's best revenge killers and Grass-type wallbreakers has been banned, this thing is now your go-to offensive Grass in most cases. It has a half-dozen great sets in Defog, SubSeed, AV, Normalium, Glare, hell, even Scarf is good now. This thing is incredibly versatile and the rise of tons of stuff this thing freely boosts on and kills has only solidified its place as a toppest-tier threat in this metagame.

This thing shouldn't drop. This thing shouldn't have been considered for a drop. This thing can only go up unless Amoonguss comes back.

Infernape from A to A-: Disagree

Ape benefits from Breloom's ban quite a bit, as now it faces less competition as a powerful Priority user. This thing is versatility incarnate and it feels like everyone has forgotten just how crazy Ape's movepool is in favor of using it as a Scarfer. This thing has many sets, including both SD and NP sets, it packs great Priority on both ends of the spectrum, and it can beat literally anything with the right coverage options, barring maybe Latias. I don't feel like the metagame has shifted enough that Ape can't adapt well enough to keep up, and I'd argue the arguments for it dropping are simply arguments for it to not rise. One set has gotten worse but it has other sets to remedy that nicely.

Alolan Muk from A- to B+: Reluctantly Agree

This thing ain't what it used to be. Many of the things Alolan Muk is supposed to trap can usually put up one hell of a fight, irreparably damaging if not outright beating it 1v1. It's still good at trapping stuff when it works, but it often finds itself more or less confined to trapping several sets of the threats it is supposed to eliminate, as opposed to just being a blanket answer to everything it runs. And if it doesn't drop down to B+ with this update, some potential metagame trends coming up could prove rather problematic for Alolan Muk and would probably solidify its place among the B-ranks anyway. But even in the present metagame it just isn't doing what it's built to do quite as well anymore, and that sucks. I really like this mon.

Tsareena from B to B+: Agree

The more I use Tsareena, the more I like it. I'd even argue that Tsareena also benefits a bit from Breloom's ban since now its role as a strong Physical Grass-type with crazy wallbreaking capabilities is largely uncontested. Choice Band, albeit a little prediction-reliant, does crazy high damage. Power Whip erases many of the bulky, Grass-weak mons that are seeing a bit more use in the meta and it boasts enough immediate power to nuke stuff with its coverage options as well. Meadow Plate sets offer Rapid spin support, although the drop in power can hurt. And this thing serves as a decent emergency soft-check to Scizor, which is as good as ever. I love this thing.

Before I get into a nom of my own, I just want to echo some other noms:

Decidueye from B- to C+: Disagree
Rotom-H from B- to B: Agree
Heracross from B+ to A-: Agree

And now for a nomination of my own, which actually isn't a very unique one since it was just brought up but was rejected relatively early on:

I nominate Stakataka from B+ to A-

Though Swampert's rise in viability is a bit bothersome for it, Stakataka was already looking quite decent in a Breloom metagame. With the annoying shroom gone, this behemoth just lost one of its best offensive checks and one of the very few threats in the metagame that could revenge kill it under Trick Room, which gives it a whole lot more freedom to run rampant. While it has since become pretty strong on Stall teams with a defensive set, its offensive sets are still nothing to scoff at. Choice Band gives Stakataka a lot of immediate power. Offensive Trick Room sets are an enormous pain in the backside for offensive teams as well since so few threats can revenge kill it and its great natural bulk gives it so many opportunities to set up Trick Room despite its awful defensive typing, and its pick of the litter for Z-moves and resist berries lets it break past crucial threats and use its precious Trick Room turns to steamroll through teams once its few checks and counters are dealt with. Stakataka is the gift that just keeps on giving as I use it, and I feel that Breloom getting banned was the final push this thing needed to solidify its place among the A-ranks.

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
B+ -> A-: Agree
The majority of offense teams still mostly rely on one bulky Ground-type (Swampert, Hippowdon, etc.) to check Stakataka, all of which get worn down easily with the right support. Furthermore, with Breloom's departure, offense has one less great check to it. Stakataka's typing also allows it to set up Trick Room on offense staples, including Latias, Hydreigon, Serperior, and non-Superpower Scizor.

Infernape A -> A-: Disagree
Infernape is still really good; its versatility allows new sets to rise from the ashes once in a while, with the Nasty Plot set seeing increased usage because of how effective it is in the metagame. Choice Scarf is also something I still really like to use because of the great speed tier that allows it to check many offense staples, including Serperior, Hydreigon, and Scizor. It also allows it to serve as an emergency check to Mega Altaria and Chandelure with great coverage like Gunk Shot and Stone Edge, something that offense really appreciates.

I will sometime make another post.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
two fun lil sunday nominations for y'all --

Mareanie Unranked --> C
Articuno Unranked --> C/C+

I've been running Mareanie Stall for the last day or so and climbed from 1500 to 1800 with 3 or so losses in total. It started as a meme, but the more I used it I realized it's actually a very viable and solid option for stall teams. For those of you unfamiliar, Mareanie has regenerator and the godly defensive Water-Poison typing that, combined with Eviolite, makes it akin to a Gen 5/6 Qwilfish with regenerate (read: Very Good). It solidly checks scizor, physical ape, mienshao, and a host of other offensive threats, but more importantly it has significant utility, with Toxic Spikes, Recover, and Knock Off. I personally ran Infestation in the last slot, which lets you trap things and heavily improves your Stall v Stall matchup, but you could easily run something else as well.

To showcase a vague idea of what Mareanie does and how it functions, here's a ~650 turn game against pokeisfun that I won primarily by switching between Alomomola and Mareanie over and over and until he ran out of PP.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-770205681

In all seriousness though, I think it fits the qualifications of a C-rank mon -- it definitely requires support, but fills an important defensive role for stall and relevantly checks many threats in the tier.

On the same team, I've also been running Articuno, which has far exceeded my expectations (shoutout again to pif for the 5-man core of this team, which included cuno. I take 0 responsibility for this one). Articuno excels as a defogger in the same way Moltres does -- it switches in on SR against bulky / stall teams and pressure stalls out stealth rocks while offensively pressuring the vast majority of SR users in the tier (ground types and water types both offensively threatened by freeze-dry). While it lacks the fire-flying defensive typing that makes Moltres good, it has serious special bulk and can deal with bulky waters and switch in on them much more easily. It also serves as a super useful check/counter to Serperior (an A+/S rank threat, apparently!) and can even switch in to non Hyper-Z versions when rocks are up and live a Leaf Storm and a +2 HP Fire (you then roost / haze until it switches out or loses all leaf storm PP), and also counters most cune variants.

Spr_7s_082.pngMagneton-> C+->B-/B
In my eyes, Magneton provides important niches in the metagame. It can trap prominent steel types like empoleon, scizor, Stak, klefki and M-Aggron. Although it cant ohko aggron and stak with one hit (and can ohko it back), it do weaken that mon a lot by volt switching/ tbolting. Trapping these mons make sweeping with stuff like serp, cm lati, and hydriegon, and M altaria easier. Its steel typing also makes it easier to deal with fairies as well making it a good partner with dragon types. Outside of bulky Ground mons in UU, it is tough to switch into to. latias is 2hkoed (after rocks) by flash cannon and Muk is 3hkoed by specs. While Mega Manectric can do a similar job, Magneton has some tricks that make it a better option than M Manectric in some teams. For one, it doesn't take up a mega slot. This allows people to use a different megas outside of manectric if they want a solid check scizor and ways to take care of other steel types as well. Oh yeah, and then there is the fact it has magnet pull. It also has 11 resistances and 1 immunity which can occasionally function as an offensive pivot. Although its main job is to trap and weaken/kill steel types, it can still be effective against teams that its job isn't necessary.

Infernape A -> A-: Disagree
I know that this discussion point received some backlash in the thread already, though I really want to voice and stress my support for keeping Infernape where it is because there are several things that imo, justify keeping it from dropping into A. I'd just like to cover some of the things that I think should keep it where it is. Here's what I've got in mind:

Its Choice Band set is really potent right now, and is possibly even its best set - Choice Scarf is honestly a set that I find to be pretty underwhelming compared to the strength of Infernape's other sets. Choice Band is a set that I think is particularly strong right now, however. It really punishes a lot of Pokemon that often try switching into the Scarf set, like Primarina, Latias, Chandelure, and Gliscor, since all are 2HKOed by Flare Blitz (Latias will require rocks down to be KOed). It also takes advantage of Infernape's great typing to punish a lot of traditional Fire-type resists, like Suicune, Swampert (which is running less defensive investment recently in favor of some Attack), Alomomola, and the rising Mega Blastoise. Its relevant switch-ins with recovery are limited to pretty much just Moltres and Mega Altaria, while the likes of Tentacruel and Swampert can really only switch in once before no longer reliably standing up to it. Its STAB Mach Punch is also a massive current boon, given that Stakataka is increasing in relevance after Breloom's ban and ape's priority is an efficient method of revenge killing it after it's taken relatively minimal chip damage. Overall I just find that Choice Band is easily one of the best current sets due to the fact that it takes advantage of the majority of traditional Fire-resists with its typing and pivoting (another massive boon of the set).

Nasty Plot is another fantastic set, also in contention for the best - Nasty Plot is another set that I think Infernape can utilize to take advantage of the vast majority of the tier's bulky offensive builds, while also having a fairly easy time taking stall on (meaning it covers arguably the two most dominant play styles in the meta quite well). Vacuum Wave is an extremely useful tool in a metagame where Stakataka and Terrakion are rising, Hydreigon and Sharpedo are becoming better with Breloom gone, and Choice Scarf Krookodile has returned to its former glory. Z-Focus Blast is also capable of blowing past a lot of paper checks that I'd imagine are contributing to why people think Infernape should drop - it reliably OHKOes offensive Moltres after minimal chip damage, OHKOes offensive Mega Altaria after Stealth Rock, and with some chip damage, can even muscle past Mega Slowbro without Grass Knot. Overall, Nasty Plot's matchup against the two best play styles in the metagame in addition to the great current utility of Vacuum Wave is enough for me to believe that it competes with Choice Band for the title of Infernape's current best and is plenty capable of keeping Infernape in A.

Infernape is better than the rest of A- - A big reason why Infernape dropping would get to me is just because I think in general, it's a stronger pick than every other Pokemon in A-. Because of its offensive versatility, it can perform to a higher degree of consistency in its roles than really anything else in the rank. As a fast breaker, I find that it has much less trouble muscling past the metagame than Pokemon like Starmie and Gengar, while in particular I find it to be better as a wallbreaker, sweeper, and revenge killer than Terrakion (mostly due to typing), and a better pick for a Choice Scarf user most of the time than Chandelure (which is rocks weak, slower, weak to Pursuit, and is generally not as strong a Fire-type pick). Due to its better responses to metagame trends and general viability over most of A-, I think that dropping would be a disservice to Infernape as it, to me, would feel very out of place in falling down a rank.

So all in all, the reasons I'd prefer seeing Infernape stay in A include the current strength of its Choice Band and Nasty Plot sets, its versatility, and the fact that I personally believe it to be better than anything in the rank that it'd drop down to. Thanks for reading if you made it all the way through, hope you guys agreed and enjoyed!

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Honestly I disagree w CB being superior to scarf, and even more disagreement w it being it's best set. I've always seen Infernape as the best scarfer in the tier throughout SM/USUM (excluding UU alpha) for a plethora of reasons. Outspeeding every relevant scarfer bar Latias, outspeeding +1 Shark, keeping momentum w U-turn as well as being a nice form of speed control for HO (from my teambuilding experience Scarf Ape is extremely splashable on HO as it's a very reliable revenge killer and cleaner + patches up speed control issues). I'm not saying CB Ape is a bad set, I just feel the amount of utility and benefits Scarf provides overall surpasses that of CB.

View attachment 126094Magneton-> C+->B-/B
In my eyes, Magneton provides important niches in the metagame. It can trap prominent steel types like empoleon, scizor, Stak, klefki and M-Aggron. Although it cant ohko aggron and stak with one hit (and can ohko it back), it do weaken that mon a lot by volt switching/ tbolting. Trapping these mons make sweeping with stuff like serp, cm lati, and hydriegon, and M altaria easier. Its steel typing also makes it easier to deal with fairies as well making it a good partner with dragon types. Outside of bulky Ground mons in UU, it is tough to switch into to. latias is 2hkoed (after rocks) by flash cannon and Muk is 3hkoed by specs. While Mega Manectric can do a similar job, Magneton has some tricks that make it a better option than M Manectric in some teams. For one, it doesn't take up a mega slot. This allows people to use a different megas outside of manectric if they want a solid check scizor and ways to take care of other steel types as well. Oh yeah, and then there is the fact it has magnet pull. It also has 11 resistances and 1 immunity which can occasionally function as an offensive pivot. Although its main job is to trap and weaken/kill steel types, it can still be effective against teams that its job isn't necessary.
I disagree with this nom. Yes we all know Magneton’s niche is trapping steels but you’re overlooking the fact that almost every relevant steel type has a way of beating Magneton. Scizor U-Turns out or Superpowers if it has it, Mega Aggron clicks Earthquake, don’t even attempt to trap Coballion, Staka clicks Superpower, and then we have more minor steel types like Bronzong who does not give a shit about Magneton and clicks Earthquake right back at it. Magneton’s best matchups against steel types are Empoleon and Klefki but the odds of you OHKOing Empoleon are very slim.

252 SpA Choice Specs Magneton Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 318-374 (85.4 - 100.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Oh yeah and speaking of specs, you’re forced to run them so that you don’t miss out on some KOs. Magneton has a very hard time switching in on steels (it has a load of resistances yes, but all of that doesn’t matter when it’s frail as hell) and sometimes that forces you to run an Eject Button into another mon’s item slot so that Magneton can safely switch in. Magneton requires too much support to function and because of those reasons it should stay in C+. In my eyes, C+ is a ranking for mons that do have a justifiable niche, but can end up being deadweight in many situations.

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gliscor and Gastrodon have been removed from their respective S and C rankings, as both have risen to OU and are no longer usable in the metagame. Amoonguss, Mega Diancie, and Mamoswine are all now in the 'New Pokemon' rank, and will likely be ranked in the next update, which should be this coming Sunday. Please make sure that you've taken some time to familiarize yourself with the metagame before discussing any of the new drops or changes happening because of what changed. This also means you should definitely wait until these Pokemon are legal on ladder to post about them. Keep up the good discussion, stay kind, and happy posting.

Edit: Gliscor and Gastrodon have been added back, and will stay ranked until the current situation regarding usage stats has been figured out.

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Making these noms regardless of the tier shift situation

A- --> B+: Stall has lost enough ground (albeit a small dip) as of late to warrant a drop of its two biggest lynchpins.
B+ --> B: Akin to Doublade, metagame trends have largely hurt Nidoking, mainly with the surge in (bulkier) Ground-types that all check/counter Electrics a lot more reliably than king has ever done. That being said, it's still a dangerous wallbreaker in this meta since you still need to fully scout out the plethora of potential options it has, but it's struggled more than the other B+ mons here.
B --> B-: Quite literally mediocre as a Defogger option right now, even though it still beats a lot of the hazard setters here and holds a good matchup vs Scizor.
B- --> C+: Quite literally out of place as a Fighting-type in this meta right now.
C+ --> C: Quite literally more out of place than Lucario is.
C --> UR: Quite literally does not do shit here.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

A- --> B+: Stall has lost enough ground (albeit a small dip) as of late to warrant a drop of its two biggest lynchpins.
B+ --> B: Akin to Doublade, metagame trends have largely hurt Nidoking, mainly with the surge in (bulkier) Ground-types that all check/counter Electrics a lot more reliably than king has ever done. That being said, it's still a dangerous wallbreaker in this meta since you still need to fully scout out the plethora of potential options it has, but it's struggled more than the other B+ mons here.
B --> B-: Quite literally mediocre as a Defogger option right now, even though it still beats a lot of the hazard setters here and holds a good matchup vs Scizor.
B- --> C+: Quite literally out of place as a Fighting-type in this meta right now.
A- --> B+: disagee; the staple stall core is a staple for a reason, and stop what they're supposed to stop. Even if stall as a playstyle has been pressured a lot lately, the necessity of these two to be on stall in the first place, and even some semi/balance teams as well, is strong enough of a point to keep them in A-.
B+ --> B: disagree; your main argument is that Ground-types, that all check/counter Electrics, do their jobs more reliably than Nidoking is capable of doing. I think this is false - because of the centralization of running one of Gliscor (which will be gone soon), Krook, Hippo, or Swampert, Nidoking is a breath of fresh air. Its not just its wallbreaking that's unique, it's the role. The movepool variability, both offensive and utility-based, and ability to run stuff like Choice Scarf - turning it into a hail-mary revenge killer - gives Nidoking the chance to do amazing things for your team with moderate support. It's dangerous enough that I think B undersells it. If it wasn't for the fact that the Scarf set relied on minor rolls, I would even argue it could be A-. In fact, this is probably the reason I think Nidoqueen should be higher too, it can do amazing things for your team if you know how to give it the edge in support that's expected out of using a mon in the Bs

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.

A- ---> A

I was actually super surprised to see rak at A-, it's arguably the best wallbreaker in the tier, as CB rak has next to no real switch-ins. SD rak is also incredibly good, with both z-rock and z-fight destroying fat/stall builds. Offensive SR terrak is great as well, since you're next to guaranteed to be able to get up rocks and possibly claim a kill. In conjunction with it's wall and fat breaking prowess, rak's bulk and resistances give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, further adding to the viability of SD and CB sets. I don't think it should be in the same class as Starmie or Tentacruel, it's too good and too versatile of a mon to stay at just A-.

A- ---> A

I was actually super surprised to see rak at A-, it's arguably the best wallbreaker in the tier, as CB rak has next to no real switch-ins. SD rak is also incredibly good, with both z-rock and z-fight destroying fat/stall builds. Offensive SR terrak is great as well, since you're next to guaranteed to be able to get up rocks and possibly claim a kill. In conjunction with it's wall and fat breaking prowess, rak's bulk and resistances give it plenty of opportunities to switch in, further adding to the viability of SD and CB sets. I don't think it should be in the same class as Starmie or Tentacruel, it's too good and too versatile of a mon to stay at just A-.
I've said it once and i've said it again...
S C I Z O R
I've delved into why Scizor keeps it in A- twice now, so I'm not going to bother. Instead I'll go into some of the other reasons why it's still A-. For one, Terrakion cannot switch into anything. At all. 91/90/90 defenses isn't that bad for a Pokemon meant to be this offensive, however its typing is one of the worst defensively in the game. Being weak to 7 different types (all relatively common) basically nullifies whatever defensive utility it could have. In addition it has some serious competition as a physical wallbreaker. In addition to Scizor, we also have the recently dropped Mamoswine. While Mamoswine cannot boost its stats in any way aside from choice items, it has an even better offensive typing and has reliable priority in ice shard, and can also run focus sash. There's also Haxorus and Kommo-o, 2 dragon type wallbreakers with dragon dance and swords dance. Haxorus has the highest non-mega attack stat in the tier and can hit basically everything in the tier for insane damage with just 3 moves. In addition, its CB set might just be one of the most immediately threatening things in the game. Kommo-o offers a bit more defensive utility with 75/125/105 defenses and not being weak to just about everything in the tier. Kommo-o is also decently unpredictable as it can run an autotomize set and a specs set to trip up some of its usual counters.

I could go on and on about why Terrakion should not rise to A, but I think that should summarize it decently well. Fuck, I could even argue for this thing dropping to B+ due to the new drops not being too kind to it and overall the meta just working against it at the moment.

S C I Z O R
I've delved into why Scizor keeps it in A- twice now, so I'm not going to bother. Instead I'll go into some of the other reasons why it's still A-. For one, Terrakion cannot switch into anything. At all. 91/90/90 defenses isn't that bad for a Pokemon meant to be this offensive, however its typing is one of the worst defensively in the game. Being weak to 7 different types (all relatively common) basically nullifies whatever defensive utility it could have. In addition it has some serious competition as a physical wallbreaker. In addition to Scizor, we also have the recently dropped Mamoswine. While Mamoswine cannot boost its stats in any way aside from choice items, it has an even better offensive typing and has reliable priority in ice shard, and can also run focus sash. There's also Haxorus and Kommo-o, 2 dragon type wallbreakers with dragon dance and swords dance. Haxorus has the highest non-mega attack stat in the tier and can hit basically everything in the tier for insane damage with just 3 moves. In addition, its CB set might just be one of the most immediately threatening things in the game. Kommo-o offers a bit more defensive utility with 75/125/105 defenses and not being weak to just about everything in the tier. Kommo-o is also decently unpredictable as it can run an autotomize set and a specs set to trip up some of its usual counters.

I could go on and on about why Terrakion should not rise to A, but I think that should summarize it decently well. Fuck, I could even argue for this thing dropping to B+ due to the new drops not being too kind to it and overall the meta just working against it at the moment.
I just wanted to stop by and disclose that I 100% disagree with even considering dropping Terrakion, and that honestly, the tier shifts favor its best set, Choice Band, probably more than they punish it. Mega Diancie can really only revenge kill it given that under no circumstance should it ever switch in, while Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss both can't come in it reliably, getting 2HKOed by Stone Edge. It doesn't like switching in on Mamoswine but it's going to force it out once it's in pretty handily. The reason that Terrakion is legitimately capable of being in A even with Scizor in the tier, which I agree is a big thing working against it, is because its Choice Band set only needs to find a way to get into play and it's putting in serious work. No archetype in the metagame has a safe switch-in because Terrakion's STABs arguably offer the best dual coverage of any Pokemon's typing in the tier, especially considering their only safe switch-in in Doublade isn't enjoying taking an Earthquake. The two best switch-ins available are arguably Mega Slowbro and its base forme, though both receive such low usage that while good, I wouldn't consider either relevant enough to have an effect on Terrakion's decided placement. As soon as you give Terrakion an opportunity to fire off an attack with Choice Band equipped, it's forcing serious 50/50s and is potentially punishing a failed attempt to switch into one of its STAB attacks with taking a giant chunk of one of your Pokemon's HP away. It is probably the most immediately threatening offensive Pokemon the metagame has to offer, and even Scizor has to resort to merely revenge killing it since it otherwise is going to cripple itself in switching in. Basically, Terrakion deserves at least A- and quite possibly A because the pressure it puts on every team archetype in UU is insane due to the strength of its STAB combo. Haxorus and Kommo-o have much more established means of defensive counterplay and often require setup to wallbreak, so I think it's fairly unreasonable saying that they outperform it or are even close to doing so as wallbreakers. Overall, Terrakion is easily one of the most potent Pokemon in A-, and due to its utter lack of defensive counterplay with significant usage, rising further is definitely worth considering while dropping should really be out of the question.

Do you mind if we hold off on any noms? We need to explore this new meta in order to gain a general consensus on this. I have a big post planned with a ton of noms so I can’t wait to share it eventually. For now, teambuild and experiment on what works and what doesn’t. I’ll have a profile post that has these noms but I’ll have my reasons in due time.
Edit: Nvm, I don’t want to spoil anything.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
S C I Z O R

You mention Terrakions defensive stats and how it can't switch in on much, but why does that matter. Terrakion is 100% an offensive Pokemon, its goal isn't to switch in on attacks. CB Terrakion comes in on a free switch and punches holes in the opposing team. When facing stall, however, Terrakion can switch in on Blissey to pressure the opposing team. With Gliscor gone Terrakion looks so much more appealing because it doesn't have to play edge or cc guessing games versus stall as much. The drop of Mamoswine also doesn't affect Terrakion. Mamo can ice shard but that is all, and arguing sash mamo beats terrak is like saying sash nihilego beats terrak, its unimportant. Viability is based on a Pokemons ability to fit on teams, how they force the meta to adapt to them, and if when you're building a team and you think, wow I need a check or switch in to this Pokemon. Terrakion fits right onto most offense builds, it forces the meta to adapt to a perfectly typed offensive breaker, and it definately requires teams to have something to combat it. Terrakion is a monster and I completely agree with yeezyknows, it should be in A tier.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In what planet does Terrakion not survive hits? Like shit can you bother to do a calc before posting with such gusto?

252 SpA Latias Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 288-338 (88.8 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Iron Plate Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 284-336 (87.6 - 103.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Never-Ending Nightmare (160 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 286-337 (88.2 - 104%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Gengar Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 286-338 (88.2 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
0 Atk Aggron-Mega Heavy Slam (40 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 128-152 (39.5 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Aggron-Mega Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 210-248 (64.8 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Why are we making up stuff? Stick to facts.

0 SpA Pixilate Altaria-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 276-326 (85.1 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 270-320 (83.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (scarf)
252 SpA Celebi Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 270-318 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Crobat Supersonic Skystrike (190 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 264-312 (81.4 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 241-285 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?

252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hurricane vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 202-238 (62.3 - 73.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Chandelure Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 232-274 (71.6 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerodactyl-Mega Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 246-290 (75.9 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Empoleon Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 206-246 (63.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 258-306 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Does Terrakion have a hard time taking multiple hits from these guys? Yes.
Are there str8 up other sets some of these mons can run in order to beat Terrakion? Yes.
Are there mons I didn't mention that Terrakion can't survive? Yes, for example, Z-Flying Moltres.
Does Terrakion require minor support in order to reach its full potential? Yes.
Does Kink think you're a little silly for speaking using false conjectures? Yes.
Will I ever stop setting myself up for easy leading questions? No, you made me mad with your wrong points.

Terrakion is not a glass cannon, stop talking about it as if it is and get with the program.

Bronzong B- -> B
Bronzong is so good in this metagame. Standing up to the now omnipresent Mega Diancie more easily than nearly anything else in the tier is a really valuable trait it has going for it, but its unique movepool, typing, bulk, and ability also allow to provide teams with a check to several other currently defining threats. Mamoswine, another fairly centralizing recent drop, barely runs Knock Off in favor of options such as Stealth Rock or Freeze-Dry in its fourth move slot, which allows Bronzong to really easily come in on it and threaten it with Gyro Ball. Bronzong also takes on huge presences like Mega Aerodactyl, which recently got a bit better, Mega Altaria, Togekiss, and Kyurem, which continues to gain traction and is notorious for having extremely limited counterplay. Being possibly the best answer to both Kyurem and Mega Diancie, which are some of the harder mons in the tier to defensively combat, alongside pressuring some bulkier stuff that may try abusing it for free turns like Alo and Suicune makes it valuable enough to in my opinion warrant rising from B-. It's seen an uptick in usage on the ladder since these recent drops, which is testament to its increase in use for teambuilders. I definitely think it's as good as the other main defensive Pokemon in B in regular slowbro, considering both Mantine and Doublade are being brought up for drops. Rise it plz, it's finding a lot more of a place for itself in UU lately.

Rotom-C B+ -> B
I like mowtom and was actually in agreement with it rising a few weeks back, but this metagame is a lot less kind to it and it struggles to do its job significantly more than before. The main thing working against it is Mega Venusaur's presence. Mega Venu is already one of the most overtly threatening Pokemon in the metagame and its ability to full on counter most Rotom-C sets complicates things for mowtom. Amoonguss and the increase in viability of balance are also two things it doesn't quite appreciate, while Mamoswine also forces some rather undesirable 50/50s with it. While its still good, its typing just seems a lot more mediocre than before and its average stats and 4mss are complicating its job even further. I just wouldn't put it on par in terms of consistency with really anything else in B+ right now and I think it's kind of an awkward Pokemon. Despite recently rising to B+, dropping down seems perfectly fair at this point in time.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I’m not in charge here at all so take this with a whole shaker of salt but I feel like it’s best to avoid nominating rank changes for Pokemon on the basis of their interactions with Pokemon that very might well be quickbanned for now. If mega fiancée and mega venusaur remain in the tier, they’ll probably affect the viability of 40+ mons, and while in an ideal world we’d reflect that immediately, I think it makes more sense for now to discuss how they impact viability without overfocusing on things like dropping mowtom to b because of mvenu

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
First off, I agree with Kitten Milk. I don't think its smart to discuss how the viability of Pokemon is changed by Pokemon who's viability hasn't even been decided yet. Although Mega Diance is looking like a candidate for quick ban, it is after all a UU Pokemon and it should be discussed in VR.

I can safely say that Mamoswine will not be banned so I'd like to discuss one of its more solid checks. Rotom-heat, like Rotom-mow, is excellent at pressuring Stealth Rock setters. It uses a powerful Z move to nuke the recently free Mamoswine, Hippowdon, Mega Steelix, Mega Aggron, Nidoking, Celebi, and Cobalion. Very few defoggers easily 1v1 most Mamoswine sets which makes Rotom-Heat very good. Unless Mamoswine its running Stone Edge, Stealth Rocks are off the field. Volt Switch can be used in conjuction with its Z move to make Ground-types fear switching into it. Hidden Power Grass gives it opportunity to KO Swampert and Seismitoad on the switch. Pain Split gives it more longevity which makes it perfect for bulky offense and balance builds.

Even after all its pros Rotom-Heat does one thing better than most Pokemon, it checks Scizor. Being able to 4x resist Scizors primary priority move is an insanely useful characteristic. This above all things makes Rotom-Heat a very useful Pokemon, and very reliable Volt-Turn candidate. I think Rotom-Heat is very deserving of B tier.

As always, thanks for reading!

dingbat

snek

mfw mega venu drop invalidates like all of my noms :( (assuming it doesn't get banned)

except for porygon2

that mon is still garbo

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
Sorry for double post. Anyways, big list of noms because of the big massive elephant in this room

--> S: Fits on every relevant team archetype (except maybe HO?) very well and is an annoying fat fuck that altered the viability of a lot of the mons in this tier. What else needs to be said here?
--> A/A+: Basically where it left off from, still the same fearsome wallbreaker it was before.
--> A: Slightly worse now than it was months ago before it went up since Mega Venusaur is now here, but it's still very splashable and squishy and annoying and I quite literally want to set it on fire

edit: amoonguss is actually a lot worse than A rank rn, I quite literally did not take into account that both Loom and Azu were in the previous meta when I typed this lol

A --> A+: Really likes both the departure of Gliscor and Mamo drop. I expect to see a lot more Steelium-Z variants
A+ --> A: Got hurt pretty significantly with these shifts. Mega Venu fucks it over completely, Amoonguss fucks its DD set over, Mamo gives it a bit of issues, and it can't punish them nearly as effectively as Togekiss can.
A- --> A: Totally agree with this. Gliscor's departure benefitted Terrakion a lot, especially its Choice Band set.
A- --> B+: Megabro is still a very potent threat here, but it's biggest issue is how difficult it is to build with in this meta right now, something that cannot be said with all the other A- or even most of the B+ threats.
B+ --> A-: Birds 'n' bats bouta take over da skies here
B+ --> A-: Big flamey bird deliver big flamey whirlwind
B --> C+: Went from hero to zero so fucking fast man, rest in piece tsareena
B --> C+: My favorite thiccmon was gaining a lot of traction in this tier with its 4 attacks set, BUT NOOOOOOO MEGA VENUSAUR HAD TO COMPLETELY FUCK IT OVER D::::: Feelsbadman
B- --> B: Was pretty B rank worthy before, but now it's even more B rank worthy now.
B- -->C+: Literally got fucked by all three of the drops as well

Last edited:
Sorry for double post. Anyways, big list of noms because of the big massive elephant in this room

-->S: Fits on every relevant team archetype (except maybe HO?) very well and is an annoying fat fuck that altered the viability of a lot of the mons in this tier. What else needs to be said here?
-->A/A+: Basically where it left off from, still the same fearsome wallbreaker it was before.
-->A: Slightly worse now than it was months ago before it went up since Mega Venusaur is now here, but it's still very splashable and squishy and annoying and I quite literally want to set it on fire

A --> A+: Really likes both the departure of Gliscor and Mamo drop. I expect to see a lot more Steelium-Z variants
A+ -->A: Got hurt pretty significantly with these shifts. Mega Venu fucks it over completely, Amoonguss fucks its DD set over, Mamo gives it a bit of issues, and it can't punish them nearly as effectively as Togekiss can.
A- --> A: Totally agree with this. Gliscor's departure benefitted Terrakion a lot, especially its Choice Band set.
A- --: B+: Megabro is still a very potent threat here, but it's biggest issue is how difficult it is to build with in this meta right now, something that cannot be said with all the other A- or even most of the B+ threats.
B+ --> A-: Birds 'n' bats bouta take over da skies here
B+ --> A-: Big flamey bird deliver big flamey whirlwind
B --> C+: Went from hero to zero so fucking fast man, rest in piece tsareena
B --> C+: My favorite thiccmon was gaining a lot of traction in this tier with its 4 attacks set, BUT NOOOOOOO MEGA VENUSAUR HAD TO COMPLETELY FUCK IT OVER D::::: Feelsbadman
B- --> B: Was pretty B rank worthy before, but now it's even more B rank worthy now.
B- -->C+: Literally got fucked by all three of the drops as well
I agree with all these noms EXCEPT for Mega Sceptile. Mega Sceptile may be bothered by the drops but it also got some massive boons with the shift.
-No competition as a fast as hell grass cleaner with Serp (A competition Scept would lose 9 times out of 10 in building)
-Manectric-Mega is no longer obligated to run hp ice (I can't stress how Massive this is for Scept, since it completely bodies HP grass and Toxic Mega Manes, and makes it a much more consistent volt blocker in a format where many of our grounds are going to be fumbling at Mane's new viable coverage options.)
I would argue this grounds for a RISE even, but I suppose with how badly the drops beat it, they're more just grounds to stay where it is.

Mega Venusaur to S: Strongly Agree

I don't think a nomination of this nature needs too much elaboration. This thing is an absolute headache to deal with (and this thing could be banworthy, although that's a discussion for another thread). Defensively it singlehandedly neuters a considerable portion of the tier by virtue of its typing and ability alone. Offensively it has extremely limited switchins because its movepool gives it access to boosting options in Growth, Curse, and Swords Dance. The boosting options aren't just limited to those, either: it gets Amnesia to further improve its matchups against many of the tier's special attackers. Its access to reliable recovery, a non-negligible Speed tier, a fantastic movepool that gives it a massive unpredictability factor, its fantastic bulk and ability, and its considerable offensive presence on top of all this give Mega Venusaur all the things it needs to be comfortably in S. I'd argue it's about as splashable as Latias is and Gliscor was, and it's definitely good at enough things to be ranked alongside Scizor as the best Mega in the tier and arguably the best thing in the tier in general.

Mamoswine to A+: Agree

Life Orb Mamoswine has no switchins and its ungodly powerful Ice Shard lets it revenge kill a shocking percentage of the tier. This tier has been pretty strapped for a rocker that threatens almost every Rapid Spinner and Defogger in the tier. This tier has been pretty strapped for a strong Ice-type wallbreaker that can muscle past even incredibly fat threats (although Kyurem obviously has many niches Mamoswine doesn't). Mamoswine offers a considerable amount of role compression and is an asset to offensive teams. In addition, its ability to threaten many forms of hazard control makes it as much an asset for Spike-stacking teams now as it was back then. It was a fantastic partner for Mega Diancie for this reason before it got quickbanned, and it was a fantastic partner for Mega Sharpedo for this reason before Mamoswine To The Top happened. And it losing Serperior as an offensive check simply solidifies its place in A+, in my opinion.

Terrakion to A: Strongly Agree

This thing has incredibly limited counterplay now that Serperior no longer exists as a revenge killer and Gliscor no longer exists as a defensive answer. Hell, this thing was nommed for a rise to A the instant Breloom got banned. While Scizor being good definitely holds it back a little bit, Terrakion's non-negligible bulk only makes Scizor an emergency check at best and lets it live hits from a huge portion of the tier. It has a ton of sets it can run and it can be a headache for fat and fast teams alike. I think it more than deserves a place in A given how many metagame trends have been in its favor with these shifts.

Tsareena to C+: Disagree

Tsareena isn't in a very good spot right now. Mega Venusaur quite literally shits on it, and the rise in Birds (and one bat that thinks it wants to be a bird) to deal with that gigantic threat have caught Tsareena in a very unfortunate crossfire. But I'd argue that it shouldn't quite drop to C+ yet, although a drop to B- is more than reasonable and warranted. It still hits many of the tier's old threats for an extreme amount of damage, it still emergency checks Scizor, and it's still a decent offensive Rapid Spinner, and I'd argue that it should only drop to B- thus far.

Mega Sceptile to C+: Disagree

While the recent drops are extremely bad for it, Mega Sceptile definitely benefits from a very non-negligible metagame trend. As mentioned previously, Mega Manectric now has a greater reason to run Hidden Power Grass (or Toxic) over Hidden Power Ice, since it hits Mamoswine quite hard, hits Swampert and Rhyperior for an enormous amount of damage, still hits Hippowdon for large damage, etc. This lets it serve as a pretty decent answer to most Mega Manectric variants now, and I'd argue that this evens out somewhat. If it should drop - which I still don't think is fully out of the question - I'd argue that the opportunity cost of running it as your Mega is the biggest reason. But being a newfound check to Mega Manectric is quite nice.

Mega Altaria to A: Agree

This thing does not appreciate Mega Venusaur being in this tier. At all. And its ability to be threatened by Mamoswine also hurts it considerably. I still think it's good, but the drops are a massive nuisance for it and I'd argue they hinder its ability to remain in A+.

Crobat and Moltres to A-: Strongly Agree

This doesn't need too much explanation. They check Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss and Moltres can tear gaping holes in teams with Supersonic Skystrike or Specs Hurricane more easily than before. They should rise by virtue of this alone.

This segues nicely into a couple of my own nominations:

I Nominate Mega Manectric from A to A+:

Gliscor leaving the tier is an enormous boon for Mega Manectric, as it now has less of a reason to run Hidden Power Ice and more of a reason to run Hidden Power Grass, which hits a good portion of the tier for a large amount of damage. This move can safely 2HKO Mamoswine without being a momentum sap like Overheat (need I mention Overheat having a small chance of missing?), it utterly demolishes Swampert and Rhyperior, 2HKOing both when they'd otherwise expect to pivot in on a Volt Switch and force Manectric out effortlessly with their lethal Earthquakes and thus get a free turn to set up Stealth Rock, it still does the same amount of damage as the old Hidden Power Ice did to Hippowdon, and, most importantly, while it still cannot muscle past the likes of Mega Venusaur, the threat of Hidden Power Grass 2HKOing almost every Volt Switch pivot heavily deters Ground-type switchins, giving it more room to just Volt Switch around.

252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mamoswine: 204-240 (56.5 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Grass vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Swampert: 292-344 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery 252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Grass vs. 248 HP / 244 SpD Solid Rock Rhyperior: 231-273 (53.3 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hippowdon also risks getting hit by Toxic variants if it thinks it wants to come in. Swampert and Rhyperior also don't particularly appreciate being put on a timer with Toxic, so I feel that Toxic deserves an honorable mention. Overall, I feel like Mega Manectric not being forced to run Hidden Power Ice to cover Gliscor is an enormous boon for it and A+ would accurately represent how much better it got.

In a potentially-divisive nomination, I Also Nominate Mega Sharpedo to A+

Mega Sharpedo was ranked in A+ when Mamoswine was originally in this tier, and this is largely due to how much it appreciated Mamoswine's ability to consistently set up Stealth Rock and pressure entry hazard removal that would get rid of Klefki's precious Spikes. This is further amplified by the fact that the tier has since lost one (maybe two, if you count the occasional Defog Serperior) extremely prominent Defogger in Gliscor, making it that much easier to keep your hazards up. I'm not nominating Klefki for a rise, however: this is largely because of how much Mega Sharpedo can take advantage of the recent drops. Spikes+Mega Sharpedo+Mamoswine is still one hell of a core, but Mega Sharpedo in particular can take advantage of these drops in a big way by hitting them all like a nuke from orbit:

252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 273-322 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 202-238 (55.6 - 65.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes (You're not very likely to run a max/max physically defensive Mega Venusaur, but this calc shows that even the bulkiest of Mega Venusaurs can be broken with a little chip damage)
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo-Mega Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 340-402 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Black Sludge recovery (Assuming this is still Amoonguss's best spread; it's always 2HKOed effortlessly though)

I don't recommend running Liquidation, but if you opt to run it you can secure guaranteed or near-guaranteed OHKOs on Mamoswine and Rhyperior. You'd have to drop Ice Fang for it, though, which leaves you a bit weaker to Hydreigon. If you can somehow make running Mega Sharpedo without Protect work, this thing has extremely few answers, and even fewer appreciate the potential for a Defense drop from Crunch or Liquidation. Similarly, I really, really don't recommend dropping Adamant as some of these OHKOs after some chip damage will require substantially more chip damage to secure, and even vanilla Sharpedo does enough damage and forces out enough weakened threats that it can effectively pick up an extra Speed Boost needed to outpace the entire metagame barring the likes of +2 Cobalion and Terrakion.

Another notable thing that's been going for Mega Sharpedo for a while now is the fact that it's recently lost Breloom as a revenge killer. On its own that wouldn't warrant a rise, of course, but in tandem with these other things I feel that mentioning Breloom's departure is now a very valid case for it to rise. In addition, Mega Venusaur's ability to heavily check various Infernape sets - Infernape with its Fighting STAB priority being another potential Mega Sharpedo revenge killer - hinders Infernape's overall viability enough that this warrants being mentioned.

Ultimately, I'd argue that the metagame trends that have arisen from these tier shifts have been boons for Mega Sharpedo. If Mega Diancie were still in the tier I'd be a lot more reluctant to make this nomination since it, too, really appreciated the Spikes+Mamoswine core and offered a metric ton of stuff on top of just hitting hard and being fast. But with Mega Diancie being quickbanned I see no reason to not nominate Sharpedo to A+ for its ability to pair extraordinarily well with its old friend Mamoswine and take down some of the toughest stuff in the tier, including two of the other things that dropped alongside Mamoswine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)