np: USUM UU Stage 8.1 - Garden (Mega Venusaur banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not going to get reqs, but I’m unconvinced that venu should be banned. It’s going to reshape the meta, yes, but I’m not sure it’s worse than say, scizor.

The one argument is how much it strains teambuilding, yet experienced players keep talking about how they used varied teams- maybe the better team builders could post a bunch of samples for people? Maybe the problem is that people are stuck thinking of their usual answers, not considering that the meta as they know it will be considerably different, even if it’s not broken.

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
When I face Mega Venusaur it seems broken, and when I use Mega Venusaur it seems underwhelming. Faced a Growth set where I had to switch in Crobat over rocks to check it, risking my opponent doubling to scarf Krook and a Pursuit 50/50. In another game, my opponent was prepared with a sturdy flying resist and a Pursuit user, and I was left with a team of mons that couldn't beat Venusaur. However, my attempts at Venusaur balance folded to heavy hitters such as Mamoswine or Terrakion, which can 2hko Venu on the switch. My Venusaur was also exploited for free turns by Empoleon, Tentacruel, and even a specially defensive Chesnaught.

Haven't decided how to vote. Venusaur is tough to switch into and force out with anything not named Crobat or Kommo-o, and can be a pain to face when supported with a flying resist and Pursuit user. But there are still plenty of ways to break down balance cores, such as Heracross, Mamo, Terrakion, or Nidoking. Many of them can't trade with Venu and need to 2hko it on a switch, but it can be tricky to force Venu out without sacking a mon in the process.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / ?
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Petal Blizzard
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Haven't gotten around to building with this set, but it's something I theorymonned that seems kind of cool. Curse Venu is a nice sweeper and potential stallbreaker, but mono-attacking or EQ / Knock sets can leave the rest of the team scrambling to check Scizor. I think mono-attacking Curse sets can still win vs SD Scizor if they Curse as Scizor switches in, but HP Fire lets unboosted Venusaur check +2 Scizor in a pinch.

Here is the proof I reached 80% of GXE with 40 games:

Sans titre.png

I understand both points. I think Venusaur is extremelly strong, especially paired with stuff like Blissey or Snorlax. I also think it has decent offensive pressure for a mon with this bulk.

However, it's not unbeatable. Crobat, Moltres and Latias are great switch-ins to this mon. Heracross, Starmie, Kommo-o, Pidgeot, Tornadus or Terrakion can beat it with outplays. Even less standard viable things such as Curse Muk or Snorlax are good checks.

Furthermore, Venusaur being in the tier could leads to interesting debans. Breloom, Azu and even Xurkitree might come back to the tier.

Therefore, I vote No Ban.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Let's refrain from discussion about any other potential unbans, (especially Xurkitree) and try to focus on Venusaur-Mega and what it can / can't do for the tier.

I implore people to try out Hogg's teams and see the versatility that is available in this metagame, even if it's different from what you're comfortable with. I can't say I ever thought Chesnaught HO would be something I enjoyed but it does quite well. You may find hidden gems in your search.

wuhoodude

Goodbye Bewear
This meta hasn't been very kind to bewear. Everyone is spamming MVenu checks that also happen to check bewear. But guess what? Bewears are adaptable! I ended up getting reqs with mainly this bewear team.
Bewear TR.PNG

BEWARE (Bewear) @ Choice Band
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Shadow Claw
- Facade

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Magic Coat

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Surf
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Trick

Stakataka @ Rockium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Lonely Nature
IVs: 15 Def / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
I used that team to breeze through low ladder and after getting higher up on the ladder, I switched between that team and this MVenu Umbreon BO.
mvenu bo.PNG

Dankosaur (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald
- Substitute

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Toxic

Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Taunt
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
I don't have a really strong opinion on MVenu, but I don't think it is problematic. For once I don't feel annoyed fighting a suspected mon. This is how I've been deciding on my votes ever since the weavile suspect. All the other pokemon that were suspected just had a way of triggering me and being annoying. Breloom had stupid ways of getting past its check with annoying sleep turns and bullet seed rolls. Xurk won against slower teams and offensive teams without scarf krook if it hit a 60% accurate move. Both Mega Latias and buzzswole, while bulky like MVenu, just would not die and had an a greater offensive presence than MVenu. I do have to adjust when building in this meta, but I'm not using anything too out of the ordinary. I feel MVenu spices up this tier well. Like I haven't used metagross or umbreon until now, but I've liked using them. CB mamo is just amazing at breaking all these other fat cores running around. I know these aren't very strong statements, but the bottom line for me is that MVenu just isn't annoying. So I'll be voting DO NOT BAN

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
To kick things off, I'd like to thank everyone who's participated in this thread (as well as the UU ladder!) so far. This has easily been one of the most active suspect tests I can personally recall and, in spite of a bunch of points I personally disagree with, there have been a lot of many solid arguments from both sides. Personally, I'll be voting Do Not Ban on Mega Venusaur. Many of my reasons to do so have already been addressed by other users, so here are some aspects that I'd like to add on top of those:

Mega Latias vs. Mega Venusaur

Throughout this thread, there have been a lot of mentions to prior suspect tests, and how Mega Venusaur is unique in the sense that it is currently being tested over its defensive prowess, with Mega Latias being the only Pokemon in UUBL that can be directly compared to the situation at hand. At the time, I was one of the biggest supporters of a Mega Latias ban, and if that Pokemon got suspect tested again under similar conditions, I'd still be doing the same with little hesitation. My pet peeve with Mega Latias was the fact that the versatility of its Calm Mind set gave people way too little room to adapt, be it in the teambuilder or in an actual match against it. Offensive Calm Mind with 3 Attacks, 2 Attacks with Roost where you could be facing any combination of Draco Meteor, Dragon Pulse, Psyshock, Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunder(bolt), Surf, Hidden Power Fire and Mono Attacking sets with Reflect Type, Substitute, Refresh, Roar (it wasn't common at the time of the test, but I think it would've grown to become a menace with Spikes support) were all viable, and all of them had vastly differently answers (although it is true that some of those overlapped and some teams could get away with less insurance against this Pokemon). That coupled with Latias' supportive options turned it into a Pokemon that wasn't just, as many people used to call it, a "breath of fresh air for balance": it was (to me), a legitimate toxic presence to the UU metagame.

Now, if we attempt to directly compare Mega Latias and Mega Venusaur, it is possible to conclude that Mega Venusaur lacks this ability that Latias did to adapt to Pokemon that are commonly used to beat it. The standard 3 Attacks + Synthesis set has very little room for change aside from Hidden Power Fire, since dropping Sludge Bomb leaves it completely open to Moltres, Latias and a lot of Fairy-types, and I'm sure as hell you don't want your Venusaur to lose to Water-type Pokemon. If you do decide to ditch Hidden Power Fire, Scizor now becomes a lot more menacing, Cobalion can set up on Earthquake-less variants and so on. It is true that moves like Knock Off, Sleep Powder and Leech Seed are very good under the right circumstances, but it is very rare for Venusaur to actually be able to afford dropping any of its staple moves. Growth Venusaur is a set that I have used a lot throughout this test, and my final verdict is that (excuse me for the profanity) it fucking blows. When Mega Venusaur originally dropped, my belief was that the only way it'd turn out to be broken was if its set up sets were good in this metagame. However, Venusaur's 4MSS makes Growth a lot worse than it sounds on paper. Dropping Synthesis was something I tried at first, but the inability to take on threats you'd usually be able to switch into is very ugly. Overall, I'd say that Growth's only advantage is capitalizing on shakier answers to this Pokemon, such as Blissey (and even then, keep in mind that stall teams currently use Pokemon such as Crobat and Haze Tentacruel), but it doesn't really match up any better against balance and bulky offense than standard sets do. Swords Dance and Curse are two Mega Venusaur variants which can definitely work, but between the Scald weakness, lacking a significant way to deter Pokemon such as Moltres and Crobat from switching in on it and the reduced longevity due to not having Giga Drain mean that these two sets play exactly the same role as Growth Venusaur: capitalizing on people who run overall shakier answers to it. The real point I'm trying to get to here is that no matter how much you mess around with this Pokemon's moves, it is very unlikely that you stumble upon significant ways of mitigating the impact of match ups that could be considered bad to Venusaur. Crobat still stops Growth, Swords Dance and Curse variants, Moltres suddenly becomes even more menacing if Sludge Bomb is ever dropped, Kommo-o does great into any variant that lacks Curse (and even then, it still possesses a decent chance of coming out on top), nukes still hurt is as much and so on (refer to pokeisfun's list if you want more examples). Moving onto the next point:

Using Viability Ranking Placements as a major argument against Mega Venusaur

I'll be blunt with this one: this was probably my least favorite aspect of this thread by a large margin, and I'll try my best to explain why that is the case. I'm one of the current hosts of the thread in question, and I did maintenance on it almost on my own for almost a whole year before other people accepted to shoulder the burden in my stead. As a concept, this thread's goal is to separate Pokemon in categories depending on a plethora of factors, with one of those factors being how the Pokemon interacts with other threats in the UU metagame. When you consider that the thread has barely been updated to account for Mega Venusaur's existence, it is only natural that you will find some of the best Pokemon at dealing with it way lower than they should be. Besides that, there's a world of subjectivity involved in the making of those, and many people will do things differently. Some of us use particular Pokemon more or less regardless of their rank. For example, I slap Moltres around on my teams as if it is comfortably sitting in S Rank, and it works for me. Last but not least, and while this may sound bad at first, I do believe that it is completely fine for people to be using Pokemon that aren't particularly stellar in order to deal with Mega Venusaur. If you think about it, a metagame works more or less like an ecosystem, and I feel like there are way too many "I don't want Mega Venusaur in UU because it forces me to use Toxicroak, Salazzle, Dragalge and other "bad" Pokemon" posts. Pokemon become better and/or worse in a metagame depending on how their niche raises/drops in demand. A good example of this is Gastrodon jumping up to OU from PU despite being barely viable in the tiers between those two. Is it a top notch Pokemon? Not really, but people were in need of answers to threats such as Tapu Koko and Heatran, so it started receiving more usage up there. What I'm trying to get across here is that we shouldn't be blinded nor guided by which letter the Pokemon we need to use to stop Venusaur are sitting below in the VR thread when it isn't even like the Pokemon in question are only useful for that particular niche. I fully believe that our tier has the necessary tools to adapt to this Pokemon's presence in a way that isn't unhealthy.

Banning "Unhealthy" Pokemon and Smogon's Tiering Philosophy

I won't delve too deep into this for one simple reason: I don't think Venusaur is unhealthy to the tier. However, I am of the personal opinion that Smogon as a whole should aim to make its formats reward the better player the vast majority of the time, and this means that aspects of the game/Pokemon should be looked into regardless of whether or not they are able to 6-0 teams with very little counterplay as long as they interfere with balance in a significant way. Alolan Ninetales was once banished under this reasoning. Weavile's prowess as a Pursuit trapper was a major argument towards its eventual demise and I'm sure that you could find more examples by delving deep enough into Smogon tiering. This is not all too relevant to this suspect test in particular, but I've seen some people claim that only offensive behemoths get banned, so it's never bad to remind users that this isn't the case at all.

---

To finish this post, I'll reiterate two of my favorite points that have been brought up by other users: firstly, the fact that Mega Venusaur's answers can be bossed around by entry hazards and Pursuit trappers is probably the most compelling argument towards a potential ban. Being able to outlast the Pokemon that are supposed to handle it is obviously huge. However, I do not think that this is always the case, considering that Pokemon such as Kommo-o are resistant to both Pursuit and Stealth Rock and that all of Crobat, Moltres and Latias have access to Roost to last through moves that get thrown their way. Lastly, Mega Venusaur itself is incredibly weak to many indirect ways of counterplay. Burns, paralysis, entry hazards, weather among others are all awful for this Pokemon, and I do not think that is it mandatory for all Pokemon to have definite and reliable counterplay. A good example of this is how threatening Mamoswine is to a vast majority of UU teams, yet you hardly see it winning games on its own, with chip damage and proper prediction usually playing a major role in the match up against teams with this Pokemon. To me, Mega Venusaur is a similar case of a threat that doesn't truly have a vast quantity of counters or checks, but still ends up being manageable most of the time.

Just to rehash the points above, I really don't think Mega Venusaur is that broken. Here are a couple of bullet points to sum up my reason why:
  • If it plays the role of a pivot, it takes a lot from chip damage such as hazards and VoltTurn. Forcing Mega Venusaur to recover with Synthesis forces the player to lose momentum, especially since Grass/Poison/Fire have some notable Pokemon in UU that resist this combination.
  • Building off of point 1, the susceptibility to chip also compromises its defensive utility greatly; however, it should be noted that M-Venu's combination of Offensive and Defensive potential is what makes it strong, not solely its Defensive potential.
  • While many people tout its set-up sets as a reason to ban it, many of these sets are forced to run STAB + 1 coverage if they are to preserve M-Venu's longevity through Synthesis. Not running Synthesis compromises a lot of the defensive potential that makes M-Venu very good. Running Synthesis on a set-up set leaves Mega Venusaur easily walled by a lot of UU threats.
  • Building off of point 3, people may argue that the five other team members can help break down its counters. Although these opinions are not wrong, this point is also inherently true for teams that build around niche Pokemon like Linoone or any C-rank Pokemon. Grass does not have good overall coverage, and even adding one coverage move has it walled by relevant Pokemon in the UU metagame.
  • Mega Venusaur seems like it initially constricts teambuilding because of Thick Fat and its two weaknesses. Because of this, many teams are flocking to stock either a Psychic- or Flying-type to cover Mega Venusaur. This initial response to Mega Venusaur is initially centralizing, but over time, people will have to realize that its bulk when running the Modest set is not the fattest thing in the world. Fully Defensive M-Venu sets don't hit as hard and allow offensive threats to pressure it out.
With that said, Mega Venusaur should not be banned.
If that didn't convince you, maybe this wonderful post by Yung Dramps will.

1533435273603.png

(note the "gonna quit UU" part)

Last edited:

wuhoodude

Goodbye Bewear
Wow that was pretty close. Definitely the closest suspect we've had I think. With that in mind, I think MVenu has the potential to be resuspected. It will definitely be a while from now, but we'll have to see how the meta turns out. Guess it's budget Mega Venusaur for now - amoonguss.

And there it is! With a 54% majority, Venusaurite is now banned from UU :psyduck:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-stage-8-1-voting.3640125/page-5#post-7872839

Thank you to all the voters and the contributors who helped keeping this thread lively! Eyan, The Immortal, please ban Mega Venusaur from the UU ladder whenever you can.
Well, I’m glad I played with him a bit first. It’s too bad though, I found in my limited experience around 1500-1600 on the ladder that venu didn’t do as much as people claimed.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Out of Open now and wanted to share some thoughts on the metagame (got cucked by the VR lmao)

- I feel like Hippo + Emp balance has become one of the most consistent archetypes in the current metagame. It lets you run a comfortable, consistent defensive backbone with these two (oftentimes you'll also find an Amoonguss alongside the two tbh) while being able to fit sufficient offensive pressure and speed control. Here are some example teams that I made and used throughout Open that fit into this grouping; I tried to have one for each opponent I went out of my way to prepare for seeing as it felt like the best way for someone who is not well-versed in the metagame to have a good shot to outplay for a win. Some games where I used those teams below:
  • Loss vs Harrisisawesome - Import - Close game here; overall, I just made one too many plays that didn't work out, but I feel that if I piloted the team optimally I probably would have come out on top. Either way, this is one of my favorite teams as it covers most things in the metagame defensively quite well, but it also has the ability to threaten offense (this Latias is hard to switch in to, CB Scizor with strong Bullet Punches can revenge kill, and Mega Aerodactyl later on in games is something to never overlook of course). Finally, against Stall Bewear goes off and I can control the tempo of the game with CB Scizor if I play well enough. Also, a similar team with Heracross > Bewear (likely throw the Z on Latias) is certainly viable and effective.
  • Win vs SilvioGuacamole - Import - He brought Stall here and this time I lacked a direct Stall answer like Bewear, but momentum combined with Specs Kyurem certainly had a shot and this showed as I controlled the pace of the game and eventually used all of my openings to break through with Kyurem. The team itself is basically a carbon copy of the first, but with some edits to fit Specs Kyurem and use the Z in another slot as it isn't occupied by Bewear.
Overall, if there was a "fallback" team style for me, it would certainly be this. I hope to see both Hippowdon and Empoleon gaining some consideration to go A in the VR, too.

- Terrakion has absolutely taken off since Gliscor moved to OU; the Rock/Fighting horse makes progress earlier on in games with sheer offensive presence better than anything in the tier. It is true that it does not fit onto a number of common offensive structures, but I find a nice balance with momentum to be the best place for Terrakion. I find it to be one of the most dynamic Pokemon in the tier and I think that Snake will be a great showcase of how good it is at breaking open games if played well enough.

- Primarina has been a staple in the conversation of best UU special hard hitters and it does not belong on the outskirts of that conversation quite yet, but it has taken a noteworthy hit in overall effectiveness and STAB spammability in recent months imo. Amoonguss is seeing decent usage, Empoleon is as good as ever, and Blissey is being used a ton (look at Open...Aim is using a lot of Blissey, Robjr vs Soulwind had 5/6 Blissey for fucks sake, etc. -- sure it's a small sample size, but it's not something we can just dismiss). All things considered, Primarina is still a fine Pokemon, but I think it has lost a bit of traction that it has had since the metagame developed fully and I am interested to see if it takes a hit in usage because of this. Also, anyone who uses the defensive RestTalk variant is doing something terribly wrong and should reconsider their life choices immediately.

- Honestly, Mega Pidgeot seems quite bad right now. Not only is there a huge opportunity cost and more competition than ever at the Mega slot, but it also is incapable of making progress or breaking things at a consistent enough rate to be worth using more than sporadically. The Work Up + Refresh "stallbreaker" set is atrocious; I view it as more of a meme than an actual set and it is the most inconsistent thing to see consistent usage ever. The "pivot" set with U-turn Roost 2a is passable, but with Empoleon, Mega Aero, Mega Manectric, Nihilego, etc. all proving to be troublesome (and the megas proving to be competition for a team slot), the actual appeal behind Mega Pidgeot seems to be at an all time low for me. Oh yea and Moltres is fucking awesome, which sucks for Mega Pidgeot as well.

- Feel like Slowbro has always been kinda overlooked in UU/RU, but especially now. It is ranked like B or B- iirc and I think it's one of the best physically defensive pivots in the tier. It is a great answer to Terrakion, Cobalion, Aerodactyl, Infernape, etc...and it does all this while having annoying ass Scald and being far from passive. Regular and Mega are both worth using on a somewhat consistent basis and I think that we will see more of each as time elapses. You guys better not steal regular Slowbro from NU though, that would be fucked up.

Had a ton of fun playing and building in UU lately. Kinda annoyed that a sloppy performance and game eliminated me from Open, but I think that the final rounds will be full of capable players and should be a good watch (same goes for Snake, too). Hope I get to play more UU in GSlam playoffs and other tournaments moving forward.

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
- Feel like Slowbro has always been kinda overlooked in UU/RU, but especially now. It is ranked like B or B- iirc and I think it's one of the best physically defensive pivots in the tier. It is a great answer to Terrakion, Cobalion, Aerodactyl, Infernape, etc...and it does all this while having annoying ass Scald and being far from passive. Regular and Mega are both worth using on a somewhat consistent basis and I think that we will see more of each as time elapses. You guys better not steal regular Slowbro from NU though, that would be fucked up.
Seconding this 100%, I love regular slowbro in the current meta. I've been using cm lefties on one of my builds and it's honestly shocking just how versatile it is, both as a pivot and as a decent late-game cleaner. It's actually surprisingly easy to sweep with cm bro if you're able to trap/tox mons like latias and hydreigon, since other means of counterplay can't freely switch in on boosted scalds/psyshocks. The block/rest/waterium set is also super lethal when used against stall or bulky mons, as seen in a few late round open games. That set has the potential to be a staple on those semi/quasi stall builds as a trapper.

I'd seriously give bro a look on your teams if you're looking for a bulky water/pivot, it has great synergy with a ton of common mons like m-aggron, hydreigon, amoonguss, and basically any mon with a fighting weakness. In a sense, it's filling the vacuum that gliscor left behind, as i don't think it's a stretch to say that bro is arguably the tier's best means of fighting-type counterplay at the moment.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Seconding Finchinator and yeezyknows, Slowbro is currently very underrated. So far, I have Slowbro twice this UU open; I used Mega Slowbro with Block, Scald, Calm Mind, and Rest to take advantage of more passive Pokemon such as Klefki and non-Roar Swampert and Mega Aggron, to sweep or to break holes. It did really well on my Round 6 game, as it was able to turn a bad matchup I had to be in my favor, after using Klefki as a setup fodder, getting to +6 via Calm Mind, and claiming 3 kills (replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7uu-391650).

For the second time, I used Slowbro with Block, Scald, Toxic, and Rest, holding a Colbur Berry. While it wasn't able to successfully trap anything, it put a ton of work together with Amoonguss, as they were able to win the PP war against a Rest Mega Aggron (replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-795596594). Generally, Toxic on Slowbro is very underrated as it helps to catch Dragon-types that tend to switch into it.

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind / Toxic
- Rest
- Block

Slowbro @ Waterium Z / Colbur Berry
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Block
- Rest

These are the sets I was using with simplified EVs. I prefer Calm Mind on Mega Slowbro over Toxic because thanks to its colossal physical bulk and higher Special Attack, Mega Slowbro has an easier time sweeping with no reliance on reliable recovery, unlike regular Slowbro.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Gastrodon moved from OU to UU
Zeraora moved from OU to UU
Bisharp moved from OU to UU
Latios-Mega moved from OU to UU
Latios moved from OU to UU
Sableye-Mega moved from OU to UU
Mew moved from OU to UU

I assume there will be a new thread soon but these are the shifts that directly affect how we play UU, a bunch of stuff dropped to RU or rose to UU or whatever but that’s not hugely important. No opinions right now there’s a ton of stuff to process there but it’s Sableye that intrigued me most in terms of the effect it’ll have on the metagame, but there’s a lot of high power offensive threats there so time will tell...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)