New UU List (July 2009)

Luna Jynx is scary in UU and NU. I'm surprised it's not used so much. It's awful in OU though, due to the sheer amount of Bullet Punches flying around these days. However in UU and NU with not too many threatening priority attacks, Luna Jynx can do quite well.

I really don't see why people think that Donphan will do any better in UU. As far as I can tell, It is mostly outclassed by Rhydon. Unless you need a rapid spinner or priority, Rhydon usually passes the test far better than Donphan.
Rhydon in no way outclasses Donphan. Rhydon does make for a better RPer definitely, and arguable a better CBer since it has higher attack and STAB on Rock (although Donphan has good priority). But Rhydo could never be as good as a physical tank as Donphan because it has a weakness to Close Combat and Earthquake, and is straight out OHKO'd by a water or grass attack (except maybe an Aqua Jet). And Donphan can Spin.

Every NU team will be like this
Lead
ninetales
muk
gardevoir
primape
poliwrath

UU teams will be
Lead
dugtrio
donphan

I was joking about every , but most will

Rhydon in no way outclasses Donphan. Rhydon does make for a better RPer definitely, and arguable a better CBer since it has higher attack and STAB on Rock (although Donphan has good priority). But Rhydo could never be as good as a physical tank as Donphan because it has a weakness to Close Combat and Earthquake, and is straight out OHKO'd by a water or grass attack (except maybe an Aqua Jet). And Donphan can Spin.
Water, Grass, and Ice attacks are all primarily specially oriented. Both Rhydon and Donphan share an absurdly low special defense, so the fact that Rhydon is defensively weak to these attacks is largely irrelevant when Donphan is just as likely to go down as well (A 4x weakness isn't much worse than a 2x when you die anyways)

I admit that you have a point on the subject of Fighting/Ground attacks. But in my humble opinion, I would rather have a Rhydon any day in a situation that does not require a spinner.

Besides, I personally think claydol is a better spinner than donphan in UU.

I guess my point is, in a situation where you need to combine a spinner, a physical tank, AND decent damage output, donphan is better, but in the large majority of other situations, it is outclassed.

Well, Donphan isn't part Rock type, meaning its not weak to Fighting or Ground, which is very good for a physical sponge like Donphan. If anything Rhydon is outclassed by Donphan as a defensive Pokemon.

Donphan also has another thing going for it, it isn't weak to Vaccum Wave, which is huge if you're running bulky offense, where Donphan will always find a spot.

Um, no. My Roserade just kept whacking at it with Energy Ball. It eventually died and did only about 40% to my Roserade.

My Steelix was never 2HKO'd, but I ran 252/252 Careful and never regretted it. You don't need Crunch. Just switch into the Sub/CM and Gyro Ball it. Same with things like Yanmega. Gyro Ball is a pretty effective move.

And I thought that the SubCMer can only have two moves? In which case Mismagius opens itself to whatever it can't hit. Good luck getting passed Steelix with Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt.

Who counters Missy with offensive Altaria?

I never said these pokemon were 100% counters, just that /most/ of the time they come out on top, and that Mismagius can't set up on them. These are some of the most common pokemon and Mismagius struggles with most of them.
Yes this is why sub/CM Missy is best used as a late game sweeper. If you run Tbolt/Shadow Ball its probably because your team has no problems with Steelix. Besides Steelix is hardly a pokemon that typically sits in the back of your roster until late game. If you're one of the 25% that run energy ball on Roserade instead of Leaf Storm then yes I guess that would work~

Personally I have a very biased view of Missy as I've been using an Umbreon for a while, and Umbreon pretty much counters her as hard as anything could (unless she's a rare trickspecs missy)

I'm not too experienced with UU, but I was thinking of using an offensive Donphan set that mimicks Empoleons AgilitySubPetaya

Donphan@Leichi Berry
Adamant/Jolly Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Without Bronzong, EQ and Stone Edge attain perfect coverage I believe. Donphan's stats at +2 Speed and +1 attack are pretty scary. What do you guys think?

I'm not too experienced with UU, but I was thinking of using an offensive Donphan set that mimicks Empoleons AgilitySubPetaya

Donphan@Leichi Berry
Adamant/Jolly Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Without Bronzong, EQ and Stone Edge attain perfect coverage I believe. Donphan's stats at +2 Speed and +1 attack are pretty scary. What do you guys think?
Claydol/Torterra wall it. Rhydon does it better.

Speaking of Torterra, it will definitely rock in this metagame. Tangrowth too, as Dugtrio is completely shut down by it. With Shaymin (likely) to be gone, and Dugtrio coming down, we're likely to see less Roserade/Venusaur, and more of Torterra/Tangrowth.

Speaking of which, what do you think of the suspects? Will they all be banished, or will some stay back? Personally, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Honchkrow to stay in UU (I hope).

Donphan@Leichi Berry
Adamant/Jolly Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spe
-Rock Polish
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

With priority being on so many teams in UU, I generally avoid subberry strategies... Too much can go wring with them

Not to mention that with Donphan being UU, ice shard CB or otherwise is just one more thing that makes me doubt this set.

Dugtrio gets Sucker Punch as well, which would beat that set also if it had LO or Choice Band. If it ran a scarf it could Earthquake and outspeed you, even after a speed boost.

Both of the new additions to UU reduce the viability of this set and both are bound to be common.

True - there is so much priority in UU.

In fact, I'm going to make a list showing them all. I have a thing for making lists which people don't really need.

Common Priority Moves in UU:

Absol - Sucker Punch
Ambipom - Fake Out
Arcanine - ExtremeSpeed
Azumarill - Aqua Jet
Blastoise - Aqua Jet
Blaziken - Vacuum Wave
Donphan - Ice Shard
Dugtrio - Sucker Punch
Hitmonlee - Sucker Punch, Mach Punch
Hitmontop - Fake Out, Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Sucker Punch
Houndoom - Sucker Punch
Kabutops - Aqua Jet
Nidoking - Sucker Punch
Scyther - Quick Attack, Vacuum Wave (lol)
Spiritomb - Sucker Punch, Shadow Sneak
Swellow - Quick Attack
Toxicroak - Sucker Punch

And people though BellyZard could actually sweep...

RP Donphan is outclassed by Torterra and Rhydon, both of which have dual STAB, and Torterra can set up on Edgequakers, plus has a better sweeping ability in Overgrow.

Yeah, only problem is, once Overgrow gets activated, you usually only get to attack once more...

I foresee Donphans in UU to be of three varieties: Defensive/Support, CB, and Bulky Offensive.

It was more of a joke than anything, but I get your point.

That can be applied to any Sub-Berry Pokémon though.

Yeah, only problem is, once Overgrow gets activated, you usually only get to attack once more...

I foresee Donphans in UU to be of three varieties: Defensive/Support, CB, and Bulky Offensive.
By the time overgrow is activated, you have probably taken down 1-2 pokemon, and with Overgrow Wood Hammer, it will likely net you another kill, which is surely more advantageous than being stuck with Earthquake / non-STAB Stone Edge, inferior in almost every way.

Yeah, Torterra is a great Pokémon in that regard.

I didn't mean the Overgrow statement negatively, I was just pointing it out. I'm a really big Torterra fan, if you didn't know.

My favorite right now is CB Torterra. It can 2HKO every pokemon in the tier.

I love when Spiritombs/Venusaur switch in and get 2HKO'd.

My favorite right now is CB Torterra. It can 2HKO every pokemon in the tier.

I love when Spiritombs/Venusaur switch in and get 2HKO'd.
That is another reason why I hate Torterra... It sucks to be on the receiving end of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)