Infernape [QC: 1/4]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
actually please make the last slot of mixed mach punch / tpunch, reason being priority and moreover sd bisharp, a big threat to offensive teams in general that having mach punch ape is super amazing for. i honestly will never run another move, but tpunch has its uses idk.

overheat > fire blast, too.

qc rejected 1/3

this mon has gotten worse from last gen and it already sucked then
While I agree it's gotten worse, I still think it's not a bad pokemon by OU standards, and its usage was well in the midst of the OU tier from january's stats: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-january-2014.3499146/.

I thought as long as it's used enough like it has, it's OU - and hence if it's OU it will need an OU analysis? Regardless of whether or not we think if it's good enough?

While I agree it's gotten worse, I still think it's not a bad pokemon by OU standards, and its usage was well in the midst of the OU tier from january's stats: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-january-2014.3499146/.

I thought as long as it's used enough like it has, it's OU - and hence if it's OU it will need an OU analysis? Regardless of whether or not we think if it's good enough?
lol ladder stats are not reliable sources of information

What set of statistics is the OU tier going to be based off of then? While having played pokemon competitively for a while I have never knew where the official OU list is based off of, I just assumed it would be the ladder stats apologies again for that mistake

What set of statistics is the OU tier going to be based off of then? While having played pokemon competitively for a while I have never knew where the official OU list is based off of, I just assumed it would be the ladder stats apologies again for that mistake
The tiers are based on usage, yes, and you are right on the fact that if a Pokemon is considered OU-level Pokemon, it should get an analysis. However, what the QC is implying is that Infernape really won't be performing well in the metagame in the future, and that it is redundant to do an analysis now. If Infernape indeed settles in OU, then an analysis might be made, but since the tiers are quite fresh, there's no reason to waste resources on something that doesn't perform all that well in OU meta.

The tiers are based on usage, yes, and you are right on the fact that if a Pokemon is considered OU-level Pokemon, it should get an analysis. However, what the QC is implying is that Infernape really won't be performing well in the metagame in the future, and that it is redundant to do an analysis now. If Infernape indeed settles in OU, then an analysis might be made, but since the tiers are quite fresh, there's no reason to waste resources on something that doesn't perform all that well in OU meta.
Got it, thank you for that analysis (pun-intended). :P

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ok you can go ahead with the stipulation that mixed be the only set (and fire blast >>> overheat, btw)

lol, k. done. i guess fleshing out team options is all thats left

All right, tidied up a bit and added some more examples.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just because a pokemon is in the "ou tier" through usage does not mean it is viable in ou to be worthy of an analysis
Wait wtf? If a Pokemon is in the OU tier, it needs an OU analysis... Every fully evolved Pokemon gets an analysis-- at the very least for the tier it belongs to. If Infernape is OU, that means it can't be used in UU below-- it would NEED an OU analysis. That's how C&C works...

If you were arguing that it is best to wait to see if Infernape actually falls to UU that would be one thing (and not a very good argument at that), but what you posted is simply incorrect. Being "worthy" and "viable" only applies to lower tier Pokemon. Pokemon that are OU get OU analyses, regardless of if they are actually good in OU or not.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Wait wtf? If a Pokemon is in the OU tier, it needs an OU analysis... Every fully evolved Pokemon gets an analysis-- at the very least for the tier it belongs to. If Infernape is OU, that means it can't be used in UU below-- it would NEED an OU analysis. That's how C&C works...

If you were arguing that it is best to wait to see if Infernape actually falls to UU that would be one thing (and not a very good argument at that), but what you posted is simply incorrect. Being "worthy" and "viable" only applies to lower tier Pokemon. Pokemon that are OU get OU analyses, regardless of if they are actually good in OU or not.
Pretty much this (BW RU Sandslash/Dusknoir anyone?). The analysis would proceed for now, but if Infernape does drop the analysis can (not should) be removed, such is the case of BW Landorus-I's OU analysis.

Last edited:

Thats what I thought but I was told otherwise here.. It's simply well within OU now (not dropping off at the bottom) and I thought that meant it needs an analysis. From what I know smogon has always tiered based on usage and if now things are not getting analysed based on how "viable" we think they are then why aren't we tiering them based on their viablity? If it's tiered on usage then it should be analysed with usage, unless like you mentioned, we expect Infernape to drop out of OU. Based on how it's not a bad pokemon by any standards in OU and the fact that its not anywhere near the bottom of the usage stats last month probably means that won't be happening though..

Last edited:
Infernape's analysis wouldn't be removed even if it drops, as it's a viable Pokemon.
Thought so too, but Dice and I think some of the team think he's not hence the 2 QC rejects (1 was pulled back though). I'm really confused in his viability now as I tend to trust you guys but half of you say he sucks this gen half say he's ok. Anyhow, it's good that the analysis won't be removed, I think Infernape is perfectly viable with it's strong stabs, mixed capability, good speed tier (although not as good as it used to be), and at least somewhat of a decent priority (stab+iron fist boosted).

Then you can go ahead with the analysis. As Chou said, Infernape is an OU Pokemon, and thus gets its analysis. Even if it weren't, it's certainly nowhere near bad enough not to deserve one >_>

You can basically ignore the fact that people said it shouldn't get an analysis, as they're wrong. You have a great OP started here, carry on :)

Then you can go ahead with the analysis. As Chou said, Infernape is an OU Pokemon, and thus gets its analysis. Even if it weren't, it's certainly nowhere near bad enough not to deserve one >_>

You can basically ignore the fact that people said it shouldn't get an analysis, as they're wrong. You have a great OP started here, carry on :)
Much Appreciated

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)