Genesect [QC: 1/3]

MCBarrett

i love it when you call me big hoppa
Ok mentioned Giga Drain / Energy Ball on Special Scarf.

Put Flamethrower over Blaze Kick on CB.

Mentioned HP Ground / Giga Drain can be used on Shift Gear to get past its own checks / counters.

Replaced Florges with Sylveon as an example for fairy.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On physically-based Scarf, I seriously think Explosion needs to be by itself. It's one of the main selling points of the set for me, just allowing you to throw something off the face of the planet while giving you a free switch for anything. It's so excellent when you need that KO and U-turn or Ice Beam just won't do. Flamethrower IMO isn't supremely important; I'd relegate it to set details because Ice Beam is just that much better. But, Explosion, seriously. Otherwise just use the damn special set.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
I know this is a WIP, so should I assume that the Rock Polish set will be added in? That was basically the set that gave it the boot last gen, so I don't see why it wouldn't be included. My mistake if you just forgot or something. :p But for reference, here's how it looks like:

Genesect@Life Orb / Expert Belt
Modest Nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Bug Buzz / Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Flamethrower
-Rock Polish

With maybe like Giga Drain in AC -(in the place of t-bolt/bug buzz) or maybe a slash depending on what QC thinks - for Rotom-W and that recovery goodness, etc etc.
I'm thinking we could use this set with Shift Gear over RP for bluffing options, HP Ground mentioning, and lots of mixed options (eat magikarps Blissey!)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm thinking we could use this set with Shift Gear over RP for bluffing options, HP Ground mentioning, and lots of mixed options (eat magikarps Blissey!)
The main issue with using Shift Gear is that it's locked into being Hasty and shiny because of the event.

Hi, I'm new to the contributions section so please take this comment with a grain of salt.

It might be worth it in the special scarf section while discussing bug buzz vs. thunder bolt to remind players of the new mechanic that allows bug buzz to hit Pokemon behind subs. On a couple occasions this seems really useful such as picking off a weakens set up mon behind a sub.

I don't know how useful this comment really is as players reading the article may be assumed to know this already

MCBarrett

Hi, I'm new to the contributions section so please take this comment with a grain of salt.

It might be worth it in the special scarf section while discussing bug buzz vs. thunder bolt to remind players of the new mechanic that allows bug buzz to hit Pokemon behind subs. On a couple occasions this seems really useful such as picking off a weakens set up mon behind a sub.

I don't know how useful this comment really is as players reading the article may be assumed to know this already
Nah thats a valid point, I'll definitely add that :]

I'd like to bring up Jellicent to counter all (or most) Redesect. It resists all of its physical attacks in the sets, unless it has Shadow Claw or Zen Headbutt.

MCBarrett

yea i think i mentioned bulky water types walling physical sets but i'll double check

With the buffing of Techno Blast, could a set like the all-out attacker set afford to run that with a Drive over one of its elemental coverage moves?

EDIT: Also, what's up with the 8 SAtk evs on the physical mix set?

I've been mulling over Techno Blast a bit myself, and I honestly think it deserves an Other Options mention. Since Techno Blast is now stronger than even a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam, it actually has a bit of merit on a set bluffing a Choice item, although the Expert Belt is still probably more efficient overall for that sort of bluff set (mainly because the Drives change Genesect's sprite and can ruin the bluff). However, it does have an impressive bit of power to it, and having Douse Drive Techno Blast to hit Volcarona, Heatran, and Terrakion really hard can be nice from time to time.

Also, what's up with the 8 SAtk evs on the physical mix set?
Moving 4 EVs from Atk to SpA makes Genesect's offenses slightly more efficient when factoring in Download by decreasing its Downloaded-boosted Atk by 1 point and increasing its Download-boosted SpA by 2 points. To be specific, its +1 Atk stat goes from 508 to 507 while its +1 SpA stat goes from 415 to 417. That said, I honestly think that all sets with a +Spe nature and both physical and special moves should go with the 248/8 split for that same reason.

I've been mulling over Techno Blast a bit myself, and I honestly think it deserves an Other Options mention. Since Techno Blast is now stronger than even a Life Orb-boosted elemental beam, it actually has a bit of merit on a set bluffing a Choice item, although the Expert Belt is still probably more efficient overall for that sort of bluff set (mainly because the Drives change Genesect's sprite and can ruin the bluff). However, it does have an impressive bit of power to it, and having Douse Drive Techno Blast to hit Volcarona, Heatran, and Terrakion really hard can be nice from time to time.
Unfortunately, whenever Genesect uses a drive, the drive at the end of its cannon visually changes to reflect whatever type of drive is attached. Whenever you use a drive, you immediately telegraph to your opponent both that you're using Techno Blast and what type it is so any sort of use bluffing another item is ruined.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Wouldn't it be better to use HP Ground, which should do more with EB or LO despite the base power drop because its 4x super effective? +1 SpA almost always ensures a KO. I'm not sure using Techno Blast Douse would be worth it when HP Ground exists, unless Techno Blast Water can OHKO SpD Heatran without a +1 SpA boost, since HP Ground also scores this OHKO and can be bluffed easier, I don't feel it is that deserving of a mention.

Honestly I have used HP Ground Gene and it's great, but I haven't tested Douse Drive so perhaps I'm missing something...?

Wouldn't it be better to use HP Ground, which should do more with EB or LO despite the base power drop because its 4x super effective? +1 SpA almost always ensures a KO. I'm not sure using Techno Blast Douse would be worth it when HP Ground exists, unless Techno Blast Water can OHKO SpD Heatran without a +1 SpA boost, since HP Ground also scores this OHKO and can be bluffed easier, I don't feel it is that deserving of a mention.

Honestly I have used HP Ground Gene and it's great, but I haven't tested Douse Drive so perhaps I'm missing something...?
If HP Ground isn't getting an item boost it does slightly more damage.

calc said:
252 SpA Expert Belt Genesect Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 206-245 (53.5 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Genesect Hidden Power Ground vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 172-204 (44.6 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Genesect (Move 2) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 170-202 (44.1 - 52.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
HP Ground is definitely superior in every case, as not only does it do more damage, but you are not restricted to an otherwise useless item.

MCBarrett

Due to the fact that it limits what item Genesect can use and the fact that Genesect has plenty of other options at its disposal I'm just going to give Techno Blast a quick mention in OO

I would mention Assault Vest Goodra as a check. It can take a hit and OHKO with Flamethrower but it doesn't like taking very many +1 attack U-turns.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Genesect also gets Magic Coat...

Is this viable enough to mention anywhere I got trolled by one recently.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
mmm

I've used a physically based Scarf Genesect a lot more and honestly no longer believe it's worth the first slash. Here's how I'd do the set after some more significant testing:

move 1: U-turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Flamethrower

I got to the point where I realized not having Ice Beam + Flamethrower sucked. I was losing to stuff like Mega Lucario, Scizor, and Aegislash without Flamethrower, but I really missed the coverage on Landorus-T, Gliscor, and Noivern without Ice Beam. I would AC Explosion, tbh.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
We've talked on skype about all of the sets, and we've made some minor adjustments and added a few more checks. Looks great buddy :]

QC APPROVED 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)