Toxicroak - Swords Dance (OU Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NP Toxicroak was surprisingly good. It's probably on-par with the SD set and deserves a spot on the analysis. Both sets have their own advantages.

SD:
-Take out Tentacruel with ease
-Owns all Starmie
-Can defeat offensive and defensive Rotom-a

NP:
-Can break stall much easier
-Can defeat Swampert easier

Let me show you a calc.

LO Toxicroak +2 Focus Blast vs. 252/0 Bold Blissey <91.6% - 107.8%>

NP trades the ability to own Starmie, offensive and defensive Rotom-a, and Tentacruel for raping Swampert and breaking stall much easier.

All in all, it really just depends on your team.

Here's the set I used.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Modest Nature [-Atk, +SpA]
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
-Nasty Plot
-Focus Blast
-Sludge Bomb
-Dark Pulse / Hidden Power Ground
I found Vacuum Wave kind of pointless as this is meant to break walls and stall, not sweep.

Alright now at quality control. I still don't see what this has over Infernape but what do you guys think?

Alright now at quality control. I still don't see what this has over Infernape but what do you guys think?
Infernape will nearly always outclass Toxicroak as far as raw sweeping is concerned. But the Nasty Plot set mirrors Infernape's very similarly just with a different typing (really the only reason you are using Toxicroak). However, you can just as easily ask the same question for Swords Dance Toxicroak vs. Swords Dance Infernape. Get my drift?

Infernape will nearly always outclass Toxicroak as far as raw sweeping is concerned. But the Nasty Plot set mirrors Infernape's very similarly just with a different typing (really the only reason you are using Toxicroak). However, you can just as easily ask the same question for Swords Dance Toxicroak vs. Swords Dance Infernape. Get my drift?
I'm really starting to get sick of saying this but the point of this set is to open up holes in the opponents team by eliminating bulky waters and quite frantically nasty plot croak can't cannot accomplish this as well. So no you cannot say SD Ape is superior to SD Croak. SD croak also can do cool little things like check rotom-a or gengar and NP croak cannot. If this analysis passes then feel free to try to get your nasty plot through QC and if it some how gets through I will include it in the analysis.

open up holes in the opponents team by eliminating bulky waters and quite frantically nasty plot croak can't cannot accomplish this as well.
From my earlier post:

+2 LO Sludge Bomb vs.:

Min / Min Gyarados: 87-100%
156 HP / Min Gyarados: 78-92%
Max / Min Gyarados: 73-87%

Max / Min Vaporeon: 67-79%
Max / Min Suicune: 63-74%
Min / Min Suicune: 75-89%
+2 LO Focus Blast vs.:

Max / Min Vaporeon: 89-100%
Max / Min Suicune: 84-98%
Max / Max Skarm: 100% (114% minimum)
Max / Min Blissey: 83-98%
240 HP / 52 SpD Swampert: 99-100%
Just as effective as:

LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/252 Bold Vaporeon <86% - 101.1%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 4/0 Suicune <105.3% - 124%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/252 Bold Suicune <65.6% - 77.5%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/252 Relaxed Swampert <77.2% - 90.8%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 112/12 Metagross <97.6% - 114.9%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 236/0 Metagross <89.4% - 105.8%>
Focus Blast OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/4 Skarmory <82.6% - 97.3%>
Focus Blast OHKO

LO Toxicroak +2 Sucker Punch vs. 252/252 Bold Rotom-A <107.2% - 126.3%>
Rotom Burns you. Dark Pulse OHKO.
LO Toxicroak +2 Sucker Punch vs. 0/0 Starmie <190% - 223.8%>
Sludge Bomb OHKO
LO Toxicroak +2 Sucker Punch vs. 252/252 Bold Starmie <106.8% - 125.9%>
Sludge Bomb OHKO
LO Toxicroak +1 Stone Edge vs. 0/4 Gyarados <147.4% - 174%>
Sludge Bomb OHKO
LO Toxicroak +1 Stone Edge vs. 248/248 Impish Gyarados <86.5% - 102.3%>
Sludge Bomb OHKO w/ SR

Exactly so what is this doing that SD is not? Except that this gets revenge killed by rotom-a and gengar and walled by tentacruel. Funfacts: The odds of focus blast hitting
1:70%
2:49%
3:34%
(In a row)

Cross Chop 80% vs Focus Blast 70% accuracy
Our arguments are becoming this simplistic? Focus Blast 120 Base Power, Cross Chop 100 Base Power. Sludge Bomb 90 Base Power, 100% accuracy.

Exactly so what is this doing that SD is not? Except that this gets revenge killed by rotom-a and gengar and walled by tentacruel. Funfacts: The odds of focus blast hitting
So what is Swords Dance doing that this is not? That is exactly the point. This Swords Dance gets revenge killed by Scizor, Lucario, ScarfTar, ScarfTran and can't touch Will-O-Wisp Rotom. Maybe your trying to say that Nasty Plot sucks? Or that it is useless? Clearly not the case. Oh how about this.. Vacuum Wave means your team is less likely to be swept by DDTar, SD Luke, AND Agility Lucario / Empoleon.

@RaikouLover why don't we just agree to disagree. I have no problem adding NP Croak if it passes quality control and then you can write up nasty plot croak and add it to the analysis. There, simple solution because obviously neither one of us is going to give in.

Oh and thank you Philip appreciated
U (My mega smiley face)

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This topic is now in OU, and I would like these discussions about Nasty Plot Toxicroak to end once and for all. If there is anybody who considers that NP Croak is viable in OU, then feel free to post a thread in QC and we will attend it.

alex, this is just some nitpicking. Could you change the EV spread to 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe because that gives Toxicroak a better Life Orb number iirc. Also for ordering sake, I was wondering if the order of the moves would look something like this.
-Swords Dance
-Cross Chop / Low Kick
-Sucker Punch
-Stone Edge / Taunt / Thunder Punch

Alright Analysis is done just need GP to check grammar. If anyone thinks I need to add something important PM me or just post a reply. Also made Orly's changes.

You may want to add damage calculations to show Toxicroak's wall breaking ability.

<ul class="damage calculation">
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/252+ Vaporeon 86% - 101.1%</li>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 4/0 Suicune 105.3% - 124%</li>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/252+ Suicune 65.6% - 77.5%</li>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 240/216+ Swampert 77.2% - 90.8%</li>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 252168+ Hippowdon 66% - 77.9%</li>
<li>LO Sucker Punch vs. 0/0 Rotom-a 84.6% - 99.6%</li>
<li>LO Sucker Punch vs. 0/0 Starmie 95% - 111.9%</li>
<li>LO +2 Sucker Punch vs. 252/168+ Rotom-a 104.6% - 123.7%</li>
<li>LO +2 Sucker Punch vs. 0/0 Jirachi 62.8% - 74.5%</li>
<li>LO +1 Stone Edge vs. 248/248+ Gyarados 86.5% - 102.3%</li>
<li>LO +2 Stone Edge vs. 252/120 Tentacruel 89.3% - 105.2%</li>
<li>LO Thunder Punch vs. Tentacruel 67% - 79.1%</li>
<li>LO +2 Thunder Punch vs. 252/252+ Vaporeon 85.8% - 101.3%</li>
</ul>
*Copy and paste this*

Also, mention SD Ape as a good teammate because it can easily sweep with its counters removed.

Alright Orly added calculations. Anyone else think anything else needs to be added? Also this is ready to be GP checked.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
<p>After one swords dance Toxicroak’s attack becomes an amazing 684. This allows him to kill bulky waters with ease as a boosted Cross chop will hit like a meteor to anything that doesn’t resist it. Anything that does resist it is hit hard by Stone edge or Sucker punch.
Okay, Toxicroak isn't that good. With this much hype in an analysis, an inexperienced battler would read it and wonder why Toxicroak isn't our next Suspect. Please, please tone down the hype. Analyses are not advertisements...

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p> At first glance Toxicroak appears to be outclassed in OU. However Toxicroak has a couple things going for it; thanks to his typing and ability he is immune
which gives him immunity to Water-type attacks and Toxic. This gives him the unique ability to take on a good number of the bulky waters of OU and come out on top, without slowing down momentum which is valuable for offensive teams. He also has Sucker punch which gives him a powerful priority move that has good coverage with his STAB moves. Toxicroak also rips Rain Dance teams apart, being healed by rain dance and the boosted Water-type attacks. Toxicroak isn’t without his downsides however. He is relatively easy to revenge kill with his lower speed which is mediocre at best. Even with his priority attack it’s easy to find a pokemon who can safely revenge kill him. Also he isn’t the bulkiest Pokemon around and relies mostly on his good typing and ability to switch in. </p>

<p>Despite these minor setbacks Toxicroak is still a great addition to offensive teams who require a good check to bulky waters without sacrificing offensive momentum by using bulky walls to get by them. Underestimate this frog
or whatever it is (lol) at your peril. </p>

[SET]
name:OU Swords Dance Croak
move 1:Swords Dance
move 2:Cross Chop/Low Kick
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Stone Edge/Taunt/Thunder punch
item: Life orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Dry skin
evs: 252 Atk /4 SpD /252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>After one Swords Dance Toxicroak’s attack becomes 684. This allows him to kill bulky waters as a boosted Cross chop will hit anything that doesn’t resist it hard. Anything that does resist it is hit hard by Stone edge or Sucker punch. The idea is to switch in on a bulky Water such as Vaporeon, (space) Tentacruel or Suicune, (comma) set up Swords Dance, and if it is foolish enough to stay in
then you will easily OHKO it with help from Stealth rock. Should it switch then you can easily pick it off later and you will get to hit something anyway with a boosted attack. Against Starmie you should just attack right away with Sucker punch as you can OHKO it without Swords Dance, and Toxicroak risks being 2HKOed by Ice beam. Offensive Suicune can also 2HKO you with a boosted Ice beam and you need a Swords dance boost to OHKO, so you may want to use a powerful revenge killer instead to deal with offensive Suicune. Against Crocune however you can set up with no worries. While this is meant to deal with bulky Waters you still check Gengar and offensive Rotom-A. Gengar will always be OHKOed by Sucker punch and so will Rotom-A 80% of the time after Stealth rock with no Swords dance boost.</p>

<p> The given EVs allow Toxicroak to outspeed all necessary Pokemon (which Pokemon?) and max Attack and adamant are used for maximum power. The last slot should be chosen according to
from preference and your team. Low kick has better accuracy thus making it a more reliable option however should you go this route you’ll want Thunder punch in the last slot so you can still counter lighter waters like Vaporeon If you opt for Low Kick as a more reliable option, you should use Thunderpunch in order to damage lighter Water-types like Vaporeon. Taunt is also viable should your team be weak to defensive Rotom-A or Dusknoir so you can prevent Will-O-Wisp, but then you lose an important coverage move.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Toxicroak has a large movepool but the coverage provided by the listed moves is very much appreciated
since the last slot is important adding something may be a bad idea. Pursuit is somewhat viable for checkmating Starmie without question and is also useful for leaving a dent in bulky Waters should you find them constantly running. Ice punch may be useful if you're confident in your prediction skills as it will hit Flygon, Gliscor (spacing) and even Dragonite on the switch, but is a weak move in general. Earthquake hits Heatran but does nothing besides that. Finally Poison Jab and Gunk Shot are STAB moves but hit almost nothing in OU super effectively.</p>

<p>To show how powerful this set is here are some calculations, (space)assuming an Adamant nature.</p>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/168+ Hippowdon 66% - 77.9%</li>
<li>LO Thunder Punch vs. 252/120Tentacruel 67% - 79.1%</li>
</ul>
[Team Options]

<p> Toxicroak needs Stealth rock to secure certain KOs, and it is a good option for offensive teams in general. A lead that can reliably set up Stealth Rock is recommended, such as Aerodactyl or Azelf. Using Pokemon that greatly benefit from the removal of Bulky Waters, such as Gyrados, (space) Heatran, and Infernape. (space) Life orb Heatran and Swords Dance Infernape are the best options though because they also do Toxicroak favors such as taking Will-O-Wisp should he lack Taunt and
they also help him switch in as they attract Water-type attacks. for him to switch in on, However, they are all weak to Ground-type attacks meaning a Flying-type or levitator is helpful also. Toxicroak can also function on a Rain Dance team decently.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p> Toxicroak does have a huge movepool as mentioned earlier. Rain dance looks good, but Toxicroak may have trouble setting it up. Rock slide can be used as a more reliable option over Stone Edge but it still doesn’t have perfect accuracy and has less power.
Toxicroak also has Bullet Punch but that nearly useless. Finally Toxicroak also has Bulk Up but that is better left for Heracross.</p>
(the lack of a mention for Nasty Plot here is notable. It has been mentioned several times in the thread and deserves a mention at the very least)

[Counters]

<p> “Countering” Toxicroak is hard as even the mighty Hippowdon is taking around 77% max from a boosted Cross Chop. Therefore the best way to deal with it to just revenge kill it. Anything faster that can take a Sucker Punch and can KO
it is the best way to go. Choice Band Scizor can do 75% minimum meaning that with a round of Life Orb damage he can almost always KO almost always after Stealth Rock. Choice scarf Tyranitar can do that as well as long as he has Earthquake. Choice scarf Heatran is also a good check as Dry Skin makes Toxicroak weak to Fire-type attacks. Back to Hippowdon he can survive the hit and OHKO with Earthquake, then Slack Off the damage later. Gliscor outruns Toxicroak and OHKOes with Earthquake but must watch out for Ice Punch on the switch.</p>
Changes in bold and removals in red. This is likely to require more than 2 grammar checks, as there are some issue with things like capitalisation.
GP Check 1.

Alright thanks again jc104 made your changes except on this part: and if it is foolish enough to stay in then you will easily OHKO it with help from Stealth rock. If I removed that then: and if it is foolish enough to stay in OHKO it... doesn't flow correctly so I just removed then and easily. Also if there you notice any flaws I made with the edit don't hesitate to tell me.

Status: Needs GP check. Also if anyone thinks I need to add something important just PM me or post reply.
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/toxicroak

[Overview]
<p>At first glance, (comma) Toxicroak may appear to be outclassed in OU by more powerful Fighting-types such as Lucario and Heracross. However, (comma) Toxicroak has a couple things going for him (keep pro-nouns the same throughout); thanks to his ability he is immune to Water-type attacks. This gives him the unique niche to take on most of OU's bulky Water-types and come out on top, without changing the pace of the game. He also has Sucker Punch, which gives him a powerful priority move that has great (don't overuse the same adjective) coverage with his STAB moves. Toxicroak also rips Rain Dance teams apart, being healed by rain and restoring 25% of his health when hit by a Water-type move. Toxicroak isn’t without his downsides however; he is relatively easy to revenge kill with his mediocre Speed. Even with his priority attack, (comma) it’s easy to find a Pokemon who can safely revenge kill him. He also isn’t the bulkiest Pokemon around and relies mostly on his unique typing and ability to switch in. </p>

<p>Despite these minor setbacks, (comma) Toxicroak is still a great addition to offensive teams who require a good check to bulky waters without sacrificing offensive momentum by using bulky walls to get by them (Remove!). Underestimate this frog at your peril. </p>

Here is just the overview. There are a lot of things to correct. I cannot stress enough looking over the analysis once you are done. I know I often forget to do this, but it is important when putting out a good piece of work. Remember your spacing! Put a space between every tag in the set.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p> (remove space)At first glance Toxicroak appears to be outclassed in OU. However Toxicroak has a couple things going for it; thanks to his typing and ability he is immune to Water-type attacks and Toxic. This gives him the unique ability to take on a good number of the bulky waters of OU and come out on top, without slowing down momentum, which is valuable crucial for offensive teams. He also has Sucker Punch which gives him a powerful priority move that has good coverage with his STAB moves. Toxicroak also rips Rain Dance teams apart, being healed by rain and the boosted Water-type attacks. Toxicroak isn't without his downsides flaws however. He is relatively easy to revenge kill with his lower Speed, which is mediocre when compaired to other sweepers in OU at best. Even with his priority attacks it's easy to find a pokemon who can safely revenge kill him. Also he isn’t the bulkiest Pokemon around, and relies mostly on his good typing and ability to switch in. </p>

<p>Despite these minor setbacks Toxicroak is still a great addition to offensive teams who require a good check to bulky waters without sacrificing offensive momentum by using bulky walls to get by them(I would rewrite this sentence). Underestimate this frog at your own peril. </p>

[SET]
name:OU Swords Dance Croak
move 1:Swords Dance
move 2:Cross Chop / Low Kick
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Stone Edge/Taunt / Thunder punch
item: Life orb
nature: Adamant
ability: Dry skin
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD /252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>After one Swords Dance Toxicroak’s Attack becomes 684. This allows him to kill bulky waters as a boosted Cross Chop will hit anything that doesn't resist it hard. Anything that does resist it is hit hard by Stone Edge or Sucker Punch. The idea is to switch in on a bulky water (roles such as "bulky water" are not capitalised, but "Water-type" would be)such as Vaporeon, Tentacruel or Suicune, and set up Swords Dance. and If it is foolish enough to stay in you will OHKO it with help from Stealth Rock. Against Starmie you should use just attack right away with Sucker Punch as it can OHKO it without Swords Dance, and Toxicroak risks being 2HKOed by Ice beam. Offensive Suicune can also 2HKO you with a boosted Ice beam and you need a Swords dance boost to OHKO, so you may want to use a powerful revenge killer instead to deal with offensive Suicune. However, against Crocune however you can set up with no worries. While this is meant to deal with bulky waters you still check Gengar and offensive Rotom-A. Gengar will always be OHKOed by Sucker Punch and so will Rotom-A 80% of the time after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p> (remove space)The given EVs allow Toxicroak to outspeed all necessary defensive Suicune (extra space), Tentacruel and Vaporeon. Max Attack and Adamant are used for maximum power. The last slot should be chosen according to preference and your team.(space)If you opt for Low Kick as a more reliable option, you should use Thunderpunch in order to damage lighter Water-types like Vaporeon. Taunt is also viable should your team be weak to defensive Rotom-A or Dusknoir so you can prevent Will-O-Wisp, but you lose an important coverage move.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Toxicroak has a large movepool, but the moves listed are usually the best options.the coverage provided by the listed moves is very much appreciated. Pursuit is somewhat viable for checkmating Starmie without question and is also useful for leaving a dent in bulky waters should you find them constantly running. Ice Punch may be useful if you're confident in your prediction skills as it will hit Flygon, Gliscor and even Dragonite on the switch, but is a weak move in general. Earthquake hits Heatran but does nothing besides that. Finally, Poison Jab and Gunk Shot are STAB moves but hit almost nothing in OU super effectively.</p>

<p>To show how powerful this set is here are some calculations, assuming an Adamant nature.</p>
<li>LO +2 Cross Chop vs. 252/168+ Hippowdon 66% - 77.9%</li>
<li>LO Thunder Punch vs. 252/120Tentacruel 67% - 79.1%</li>
</ul>
[Team Options]

<p> (remove space)Toxicroak needs Stealth Rock to secure certain KOs, and it is a good option for offensive teams in general. A lead that can reliably set up Stealth Rock is recommended, such as Aerodactyl or Azelf. Using Pokemon that greatly benefit from the removal of bulky waters, such as Gyarados, (space) Heatran, and Infernape. (space) Life Orb Heatran and Swords Dance Infernape are the best options though because they also do Toxicroak favors such as taking Will-O-Wisp should he lack Taunt and help him switch in the Water-type attacks they attract. as they attract Water-type attacks. However, they are all weak to Ground-type attacks meaning a Flying-type or Levitator is helpful. Toxicroak can also function on a Rain Dance team decently (remove space).</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>(remove space) Toxicroak does have has a huge movepool, as mentioned earlier. Rain dance can be used looks good, but Toxicroak may have trouble setting it up. Rock Slide can be used as a more reliable option over Stone Edge but it still doesn’t have perfect accuracy and has less power. Toxicroak has Nasty Plot, but that is better left for Infernape. Finally, Toxicroak has Bulk Up, but that is better left for Heracross.</p>

[Counters]

<p> “Countering” Toxicroak is hard as even the mighty Hippowdon is taking takes around 77% max from a boosted Cross Chop. Therefore the best way to deal with it Toxicroak is to just revenge kill it. Anything faster that can take a Sucker Punch and can KO is the best way to go. Choice Band Scizor can do 75% minimum with Bullet Punch, meaning that with two rounds of Life Orb damage he can almost always KO after Stealth Rock. Choice Scarf Tyranitar can do that as well as long as if he has Earthquake. Choice Scarf Heatran is also a good check as Dry Skin makes Toxicroak weak to Fire-type attacks. Hippowdon can survive the hit and OHKO with Earthquake, then Slack Off the damage later. Gliscor outruns Toxicroak and OHKOes with Earthquake, but must watch out for Ice Punch on the switch.</p>

Ugh, I probably missed a lot. A few mistakes I found repeatedly:

All items and moves are capitalised, I saw a lot of "Sucker punch".

With <p> and </p> tags, you never leave spaces before/after them.

Lastly, roles such as "bulky water" are never capitalised.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
After some discussion, we have decided that since prose appears to not be your forte, Rising_Dusk will assume writing responsibilities for this analysis. Thank you for your work, and for the set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)