Votes: 109 38.7%
  • Beautifly

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Dustox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Mothim

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
I voted for Venomoth because it is generally the biggest threat of those listed (unless you have a team that gains a large advantage from your opponents Pokemon being paralysed). It is also way more unpredictable and versatile.

You guys really aren't willing to read the words I'm typing, neh?

Logical Steps:

1. We are comparing Butterfree to Venomoth, correct?

Yes

2. I said Butterfree has its uses in OU, and it's arguably one of the best at its job in OU (along smeargle).

Butterfree has one use in OU, putting something to sleep, after that it's dead weight ... besides the performance of either pokemon in OU is ultimately irrelevant they are both UU.

3. In that case, when considering Venomoth in respect to Butterfree, you would at least consider its OU use as well-- correct? Why?. After all, UU pokemon are allowed in OU, neh? Yes but that's all down to personal choice, OU is not the natural battling environment for either ...

4. In which case, you should properly compare both of them to others in OU who do the same job (just like comparing Butterfree to smeargle).

Not really because you are comparing a niche UU pokemon to something that is widely accepted to outclass it ...

5. Since Venomoth is a specs user reliant on a not-commonly-resisted STAB, and Specsmence is also a specs user reliant on a not-commonly-resisted stab, it makes sense to compare between them when considering Venomoth's OU use, correct? No ... it's like comparing chalk and cheese.

6. By what I can see, Butterfree does its job in OU better than practically all its rivals (arguable with Smeargle). On the other hand, Venomoth is obviously outclassed by said rivals (like specsmence) in OU.

Butterfree and Venomoth are UU pokemon, and will typically only be encountered in the UU environment ... their performance in an OU environment doesn't matter.

Conclusion: At least in the aspect of how the two rank against their peers in performing their respective tasks in OU, butterfree is clearly superior. In other aspects, maybe not.

That's all I was saying, and if you still can't understand after properly reading, I give up.

I think gmax summed it up about right. C'mon people vote #1 for venomoth. Seriously who were the 2 people who just voted for mothim? -.-

Why isnt Beautifly getting any love? SpecsBeautifly using BugBuzz running off the same 90 SpAtt as Venomoth with Swarm Activated is going to own!
Then theres the matter of Beautifly's 65 Speed which you suddenly realised poses a big problem...

FocusSash Beautifly to 1HKO Weavile leads FTW!

Just to point out Butterfree gets %97,5 Sleep Powder, not %90. That is a huge difference.

Not to mention Butterfree's movepool is bigger than nearly everything and their mom.

%97 Stun/Sleep Powder, %71 Supersonic, Whirlwind, Silver Wind, Tailwind, Safeguard, Captivate, Bug Buzz, %100 Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Giga Drain, Return, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Double Team, Aerial Ace, Facade, Rest, Attract, Thief, Skill Swap, Roost, Energy Ball, Endure, Psych Up, Sleep Talk, Dream Eater, %100 Swagger, U-Turn, Substitute, Harden, String Shot.

Can Moth do half of what this butterfly can do?

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just to point out Butterfree gets %97,5 Sleep Powder, not %90. That is a huge difference.

Not to mention Butterfree's movepool is bigger than nearly everything and their mom.

%97 Stun/Sleep Powder, %71 Supersonic, Whirlwind, Silver Wind, Tailwind, Safeguard, Captivate, Bug Buzz, %100 Toxic, Hidden Power, Sunny Day, Giga Drain, Return, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Double Team, Aerial Ace, Facade, Rest, Attract, Thief, Skill Swap, Roost, Energy Ball, Endure, Psych Up, Sleep Talk, Dream Eater, %100 Swagger, U-Turn, Substitute, Harden, String Shot.

Can Moth do half of what this butterfly can do?
Harden, String Shot, Skill Swap, Attract, Double Team, Giga Drain, Safeguard, Tailwind, Captivate, Psych Up, Endure (on a Butterfree??!), Supersonic are really a bunch of uberpowered attacks which warrant a whole new tier for Butterfree, right?

BTW, Moth can use almost all the decent moves that Butterfree can(except Roost) and to top it off, he can absorb TSpikes, and run Agilipass. And at least try to pick moves that aren't learnt by 99% of the Pokemon in existence...

And Roosting Butterfree? 60/50/80 are ideal defenses right? That 50% is going to be SO valuable.

^ String shot owns on Butterfree. I'm not kidding.

Sleep Powder, Substitute as they switch, then String Shot.

Oh wait, I am kidding.

Tailwind Butterfree could be useable. Come in on something ridiculously slow, sleep it then set up Tailwind on the switch. Aside from Sleep Powder, Stun Spore and Tailwind, Venomoth beats it, hands down.

Harden, String Shot, Skill Swap, Attract, Double Team, Giga Drain, Safeguard, Tailwind, Captivate, Psych Up, Endure (on a Butterfree??!), Supersonic are really a bunch of uberpowered attacks which warrant a whoooole new tier for Butterfree, right?
80 Base SDef is actually good for UU, y'kno? Harden supports 'Free's craptastic defense and gives it a shot at surviving random non-STAB Brick Breaks and such. With Roost and Harden, it can handle non-Stone Edge Primeape and Lee all day long. Skill Swapping Compoundeyes to a Hypno is always fun, and so is Psych Upping its CMs.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
80 Base SDef is actually good for UU, y'kno? Harden supports 'Free's craptastic defense and gives it a shot at surviving random non-STAB Brick Breaks and such. With Roost and Harden, it can handle non-Stone Edge Primeape and Lee all day long. Skill Swapping Compoundeyes to a Hypno is always fun, and so is Psych Upping its CMs.
OK, so let me get this straight. On a 60/50 base HP/Def Poke, you want to use Harden?

Um, Hitmonlee runs Blaze Kick, and Stone Edge is standard on Fighting Types, since Fight+Rock is great coverage. If Primeape isn't running Stone Edge, it'll just run Thunderpunch/Ice Punch, saying gg anyway. The 4x resist won't matter when it comes to taking CB hits from Hitmonlee with 60/50 defenses. Its terrible typing makes it so that that base 80 SDef is kinda ruined(Ice/Fire/Electric). It'll take 50% just coming in what with SR being so common. Skill Swap is a waste of a slot, though that example is kinda nice lol, Hypno can become infuriating. Psych Upping is useless, its SAtk isn't enough, and Hypno will just BP it to something that is faster and will murder it.

Tailwind gives you one turn to work with...

OK, so let me get this straight. On a 60/50 base HP/Def Poke, you want to use Harden?

Um, Hitmonlee runs Blaze Kick, and Stone Edge is standard on Fighting Types, since Fight+Rock is great coverage. If Primeape isn't running Stone Edge, it'll just run Thunderpunch/Ice Punch, saying gg anyway. The 4x resist won't matter when it comes to taking CB hits from Hitmonlee with 60/50 defenses. Its terrible typing makes it so that that base 80 SDef is kinda ruined(Ice/Fire/Electric). It'll take 50% just coming in what with SR being so common. Skill Swap is a waste of a slot, though that example is kinda nice lol, Hypno can become infuriating. Psych Upping is useless, its SAtk isn't enough, and Hypno will just BP it to something that is faster and will murder it.

Tailwind gives you one turn to work with...
Tailwind is three turns of speed boosting. So, after that, switch to some sort of bulky tank and let them stat up in speed, maybe Swords Dancing at the same time, for an end-game sweep.

OK, so according to Chou Toshio, since Butterfree can do its job very well in OU, but Hypno is outclassed by Blissey when it comes to special walling, Butterfree>Hypno right?

Other comparisons using his logic:-

Butterfree>Chansey
Butterfree>Lickilicky
Butterfree>Dusclops
Butterfree>DD Feraligatr
Yep, same exact logic, so according to ChouToshio's theory, Butterfree must be better than DD Dragonite (without Outrage) since Salamence can do it better. Who knew?

The thing that this retard is failing to understand is that WE ARE FUCKING COMPARING BUTTERFREE TO VENOMOTH AND NOTHING ELSE. Comparing these 2 Pokemon and disregarding whatever the fuck they might be outclassed by, Venomoth's pros outweigh those of Butterfree. No, Butterfree does not suck and is not useless, but Venomoth is the all-around better Pokemon with better stats, better movepool and being able to pull off more movesets. Delcatty is the only Pokemon that can T-Wave Ground Types and the only Normal Pokemon that gets STAB on Sucker Punch. So it must have a niche in OU, and is therefore better than Venomoth, right? That's your very same logic in action, and you can't only apply it wherever it's convenient for you and think it's gonna fly. It fails on every other occasion.

SpecsMoth and SpecsMence on the other hand . . . well, I think you get the picture.

Baton Pass-moth and Baton Pass-Ninjask on the other hand . . . well, I think you get the picture.

Utility-Moth and Utility-Cruel on the other hand . . . well, I think you get the picture.
All of these Pokemon are OU, ya git. Venomoth does not directly compete with them. Just because Butterfree has a unique moveset that it can pull off in OU does not make it top-tier or better than Venomoth, and this is even further proven by the fact that Pokemon don't get tiered according to whether they are outclassed by things (Do you see Blaziken in UU?). Otherwise, again we could compare Delcatty to DD Feraligatr and say it's better because it's the only Pokemon that gets Normal Type Sucker Punch and T-Wave. Individual does not = better.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
Tailwind is three turns of speed boosting. So, after that, switch to some sort of bulky tank and let them stat up in speed, maybe Swords Dancing at the same time, for an end-game sweep.
Turn 1 is the turn you use the attack

Turn 2 is the turn you switch

Turn 3 is your sole attack.

At least thats how I seem to remember it working. Its still not really worth it even if there are 2 turns.

I have always liked Venomoth for some strange reason, so I voted for him. On the competitive scale, Butterfree is most likely going to be superior (with Compound Eyes+Double Powder), but I just love Venomoth.

I have always liked Venomoth for some strange reason, so I voted for him. On the competitive scale, Butterfree is most likely going to be superior (with Compound Eyes+Double Powder), but I just love Venomoth.
Wow, it can use two status moves! Then what? Oh yeah! Die! That is why it is better than Venomoth who can Toxic Spike, Baton Pass and be a Specs sweeper.

If you do not get that, it is sarcasm!

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Butterfree is hardly better than Venomoth at Doublepowder considering Venomoth can do something Butterfree can't: Break 300 Speed.

Yeah, 97.5% powders is cool. Getting slaughtered before you can use them isn't.

Venomoth is the only Doublepoweder pokemon that can break 300 speed. It may have less accuracy than Butterfree but it can hit more targets.

Moreover, after Sleep Powder Venomoth can do any number of things from predicting a switch with Stun Spore, set up a Sub to Pass or use Bug Buzz.

Fact is since Butterfree can't break 300 speed the Base 100 speed pokemon all maul it horribly.

Oh, and aside from Shadow Ball, Moth does everything Butterfree does. Since all Shadow Ball hits are Ghosts (most of which own Butterfree) and Psychics (hit harder with Bug Buzz) its a pretty LOL option.

Venomoth can use Roost, it just doesn't have a flying type to remove.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Heh, another funny thing about Venomoth, is that it can also go with certain physical moves to help out many of its utility movesets.

Eg. Bug Bite is immensely useful when using Baton Pass on the same moveset. It allows you to steal berries from little assholes like Yanmega with their Petayas, or any Salac/Liechi berry user. Then you can Baton Pass the boosts which is incredibly useful since you might also pass your sub as well.

Then you've got that awesome Screech + U-Turn combo which allows you to force switches incredibly well and punish them too with Toxic Spikes. It also lets you see what they're switching in. Granted, Flygon can probably do that combo better, but Venomoth can still do it relatively well since it still has a damn near unresisted Bug Buzz to work with using Tinted Lens.

Now granted those are probably the only two physical moves he would ever be using, but I thought it deserved a mention.

I personally like Butterfree the best. I always used Butterfree in R/B/Y because Ash always used it [I was in 2nd grade, lay off lol]. All the other "Butterflies" aren't as cool as Butterfree.

Also, you forgot Masquerain.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually it is. It allows Butterfree to get more switch-ins if Rocks are up. Not to mention after you put a Pokemon to sleep, they would either switch out or just stay in waiting for it to wake up, giving you free HP recovery.

Yeah, it might not be as good as roosting on Skarmory and BulkyMence etc. but it can still help.
Umm with only 70 base speed Butterfree is still going to get smooshed if it tries to ever come in when there's Stealth Rock up.

Butterfree can only put ONE thing to sleep at a time because of sleep clause so after that one Sleep Powder it's not going to be forcing anymore switches to Roost.

Seriously, so many attacks can OHKO Butterfree that it's not even funny, and it's never going to get a chance to Roost after it does that one switch.

This is why Butterfree is recommended as a lead, and only a lead. It's way too hard to get in after its put that pokemon to sleep since there's not only stealth rock, but there's also an attack that often happens when a pokemon switches in, so Butterfree will get murdered. Roost really is not viable on Butterfree.

butterfree > masquerain and venomoth. If you don't love butterfree you either didn't watch the show or play the games at the start, or both. BUTTERFREE is loaded with awesomeness.

Venemoth has received quite a few improvements this generation, a unique ability in Tinted Lens, special STAB moves like Bug Buzz and Sludge Bomb as wells as access to Choice Specs to boost that mediocre SpAtk stat.

Here's a little log, to show the power of Venemoth on unsuspecting foes (taken on Shoddy):

---
Light: I am going to get my butt kicked by UU, and I don't especially care to stop that.
TJ.: have you just been using your UU team for laddering?

Light switched in Ichigo Kurosaki (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Ichigo Kurosaki is exerting its pressure!
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Ichigo Kurosaki lost 60% of its health.
Ichigo Kurosaki's leftovers restored its health a little!
Ichigo Kurosaki restored 6% of its health.
---
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Ichigo Kurosaki lost 46% of its health.
Light's Ichigo Kurosaki fainted.
---
People seem to forget about tinted-lens Yanmega with Air Slash and Bug Buzz, which offers complete coverage, 0 immunities, 95 base speed and a heck of a lot more Sp. Atk than Venomoth...

And because Yanmega isn't a butterfly... I'd say Butterfree wins. Venomoth has a nice use taking up toxic spikes however. (wtf??)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)