Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Dustox

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Mothim

Votes: 13 4.6%

• Total voters
basically why sneasel learns surf?

anyways, butterfree

2nd best sleep move (to breloom's spore) in teh game, can't mess with that, and it just help set up so many things

LEdian its looks coolest and can great support move, but here in you alternativ is buuterfree a great ability to always hit with Sleep Power and Stun Spore and has greay SpAtk best Pokemon to Defeat Brock in Pokemon Yellow.
Butterfree can be pretty nasty with Double stat.

voted venomoth cos its awesome.

also ledian is a ladybird and masquerain is a mayfly, so whoever said them needs to get their bugs straight.

Butterfree @ Leftovers
Timid
EVs - 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed / 4 whatever

Bug Buzz
Dream Eater
Sleep Powder
Substitute

Careful use of Sleep + Sub can rape teams. Don't laugh. It won me the gamestop tourny. lol abusing lack of sleep clause and leading with a Focus Sash String Shot Weedle utterly annihalated the ubers there. Palkia can suck my Bug Buzz all day long.

Venomoth is pretty cool too.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'd say that Butterfree and Venomoth are the best out of the options; Butterfree has a nice reliable sleep, and Venomoth can hit very hard with Tinted Lens boosted Bug Buzzes on a lot of things and use a slightly less reliable Sleep Powder. The other three are kinda lol.

Mothim is OK with a choice scarf set. With Modest, it gets 346 speed. With Timid, it reaches 381 speed, which outruns almost anything. Then you can try and pick stuff off with Bug Buzz, Air Slash, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Psychic, and Hidden Power.

You can also try a sub-salac set. This allows you to sweep with Swarm boosted Bug Buzz (187 base power move) off your nice 94 base Sp. Atk.

BTW, wheres Masquerein? Its the only bug thats gets Hydro Pump and Ice beam. it can baton pass agilities. It also has intimidate. It's pretty awesome.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Venomoth also out-speeds and out SAtks Butterfree. It is also way more badass.
Considering how mediocre 90 base is for your best stats on a sweeper . . . Butterfree, if only because he can do his job better than any one else. While Venomoth can do a lot of cool stuff, I think you'd have a hard time making an arguement for his superiority over other special sweepers/utility pokes.

Sure Bug Buzz is resisted by very little. So is Draco Meteor.

Edit: Venomoth is definitely badass though, just the same.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bug Buzz might as well be resisted by nothing, thanks to Tinted Lens.
While Resisted Draco Meteor has 70 bp to Buzz's 90, and is flying off of Specsmence's 110 sp. ATK and 100 speed. Not to mention that the only resists are generally crappy special defense-wise (outside of empoleon and the rare sp.def-focused bronzong).

Overall, if tinted lens was on a poke with great physical attacks (with fighting/rock moves for instance) it'd be a lot more effective than on Venomoth's special attacks because special walls rely a lot less on resistances than physical ones do.

Meanwhile, no once can come close to Butterfree's double powder.

I tried to think of a reason to pick Beautifly, but other than looks, there are none.

Obviously Butterfree and Venomoth are getting the most votes-- they're UU. The other three are almost guarenteed NUs. Regardless, I picked Venomoth because he is everything that the other choices wished they were.

Oh wait, I do remember beating a Defensive Deoxys with an HP Dark Beautifly on Netbattle...

BUT a properly EVed Butterfree can outspeed a neutral natured in-game EVed Dialga / Palkia. Horray for killing noobs on PBR!
I prefer Yanma for killing uber n00bs on PBR.

While Resisted Draco Meteor has 70 bp to Buzz's 90, and is flying off of Specsmence's 110 sp. ATK and 100 speed. Not to mention that the only resists are generally crappy special defense-wise (outside of empoleon and the rare sp.def-focused bronzong).

Overall, if tinted lens was on a poke with great physical attacks (with fighting/rock moves for instance) it'd be a lot more effective than on Venomoth's special attacks because special walls rely a lot less on resistances than physical ones do.

Meanwhile, no once can come close to Butterfree's double powder.
What the hell? So you're saying that Tinted Lens Venomoth sucks because top-tier OU Salamence is better (comparable how?), and because if some other random physical Pokemon had Venomoth's ability instead, it would be better? Retarded. Butterfree's Compoundeyes Double Power would be outclassed if something better got it, too. Surprise surprise. But we're talking about Venomoth and Butterfree as they are, not about whether they would be outclassed if x Pokemon got their ability instead, so moot point.

Venemoth has received quite a few improvements this generation, a unique ability in Tinted Lens, special STAB moves like Bug Buzz and Sludge Bomb as wells as access to Choice Specs to boost that mediocre SpAtk stat.

Here's a little log, to show the power of Venemoth on unsuspecting foes (taken on Shoddy):

---
Light: I am going to get my butt kicked by UU, and I don't especially care to stop that.
TJ.: have you just been using your UU team for laddering?

Light switched in Ichigo Kurosaki (lvl 100 Zapdos).
Ichigo Kurosaki is exerting its pressure!
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Ichigo Kurosaki lost 60% of its health.
Ichigo Kurosaki's leftovers restored its health a little!
Ichigo Kurosaki restored 6% of its health.
---
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Ichigo Kurosaki lost 46% of its health.
Light's Ichigo Kurosaki fainted.
---
Venomoth ... it's simply more versatile than Butterfree capable of acting as a CSpecs sweeper, status platform, and Baton Passer.

Butterfree is sweet, but sadly it's a one trick pony ...
Well that says it for me basically, Venomoth gets my vote, and its way cooler looking too lol. I caught one shiny, my first ever shiny :P

BTW, wheres Masquerein? Its the only bug thats gets Hydro Pump and Ice beam. it can baton pass agilities. It also has intimidate. It's pretty awesome.
This is a poll about the butterflies/moths. Masquerein is like a wierd mayfly thing. All that you said would be true if it had the base stats to back it all up.

Well Venemoth isn't 4x weak to Stealth Rock, so at least in my book it's automatically better than Butterfree. The only advantage I see Butterfree having over Venemoth is it's 90% Sleep Powder, and I guess EQ immunity. Venemoth on the other hand has Tinted Lens, better stats all-around (better in every stat but SDef, which is 5 points less), Toxic Spikes, Baton Pass (with Agility), oh yeah and the most important one: Venomoth doesn't lose 50% of its health when switching in

To be honest I don't really see what Butterfree has over Venomoth. 30% better accuracy on one move IMO doesn't compensate for all of Venomoth's options, and its superior stats, and certainly not Butterfree's own Stealth Rock weakness

Well Venemoth isn't 4x weak to Stealth Rock, so at least in my book it's automatically better than Butterfree.

But Venomoth can be hurt by Spikes.

The only advantage I see Butterfree having over Venemoth is it's 90% Sleep Powder,

Butterfree has 97.5 Sleep Powder accuracy.

and I guess EQ immunity.

Not to mention SPIKES immunity.

Venemoth on the other hand has Tinted Lens, better stats all-around (better in every stat but SDef, which is 5 points less), Toxic Spikes, Baton Pass (with Agility), oh yeah and the most important one: Venomoth doesn't lose 50% of its health when switching in

Venomoth has a Stealth Rock weakness too.

To be honest I don't really see what Butterfree has over Venomoth. 30% better accuracy on one move IMO doesn't compensate for all of Venomoth's options, and its superior stats, and certainly not Butterfree's own Stealth Rock weakness

True, but Venomoth isn't COMPLETELY superior to Butterfree. Not as much as you make it out to be.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
What the hell? So you're saying that Tinted Lens Venomoth sucks because top-tier OU Salamence is better (comparable how?), and because if some other random physical Pokemon had Venomoth's ability instead, it would be better? Retarded. Butterfree's Compoundeyes Double Power would be outclassed if something better got it, too. Surprise surprise. But we're talking about Venomoth and Butterfree as they are, not about whether they would be outclassed if x Pokemon got their ability instead, so moot point.
Yes I am saying Tinted Lens Venomoth is not as good as Specsmence. What's not to understand about that? Let me explain the basics-- Whenever we look at pokemon, we usually look to see if there are other pokes who do it better. Like Blissey, wouldn't be the top special wall if there were lots of pokes better at it . . . get it? Better special sweepers like Salamence existing are what puts Venomoth in UU to begin with . . . get it? I don't think I can make it easier to understand than that.

As to why am I comparing Venomoth to a top-tier OU-- because guess what: Butterfree does its job better than any top-tier OU, and does see play in OU on occasion. Since we're arguing between Butterfree and Venomoth, if one is the best in OU at something and the other isn't . . . well, that's a pretty damn good arguement for the one that does have the OU use. Not saying that's the only thing to consider, but it's worth considering.

Which is why I put it out there . . . retard.

As to the physical tinted lenses thing, rest assured I wasn't using that as a part of my arguement; just musing at how cool it would be. That's all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)