Smogon Premier League: Doubles discussion

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Would like to see Stratos, Memoric, and deo speed all get picked up. Stratos is an easy pickup, he's a consistent top 3 doubles player, and Memoric and Deo are very good, and if teams feel like their players aren't performing, those are two guys who can really put in some work.

Last edited:

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
I'm personally interested if any of the teams are actually gonna spend to try and fix their dubs issues. Most teams have multiple dubs players as is, sans ruiners and scoots, so I'm not sure how many will be keeping an eye on the market. Stratos and deo-s seem like solid pick ups if I was a manager looking to buy, sorta surprised deo-s wasn't drafted at the start of spl so hoping to see him get the spotlight. Lunar would be cool to see bought, but with how wary people were to pick up tfc or I because of inactivity I don't see it being super likely. Can't really say much about the other sign ups.

I'm mostly hoping that the players currently drafted get a chance to turn their records around, seeing lohgock and kamikaze at a collective 0-4 looks very strange

deo didn't get picked at first so he might not get picked midseason 3: that said, he is still a very deserving draft pick
stratos may get drafted but apparently people really hate him
i feel memoric should be drafted but probably won't be
-Tynamo- uses celebi :c
xzern would be a neat pick but there's no DUU in spl
meloettaaa would also be a neat pick but there's no thread running in spl
croven could? idk, he got to quarter finals of fall seasonal which is pretty damn good

and ofc I can't sleep on my self or I shouldn't've signed up

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Stratos, would you like to congratulate BLINGAS for bringing the best Hoopa-U with Fighting/Ice coverage?
TOTEM was the one who ranted about your set being bad, but you know, just for the record and all, his Hoopa-U was Timid Scarf, which is very different from running normal Hoopa-U with Fighting and Ice coverage in that it's not retarded.

finally deleted his sign up post ://
WTF im gonna go yell @ this kid smfh

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Scooters also just traded for Tricking, who can totally play dubs, though I assume it was to play LC.

GOAO

Banned deucer.
Midseason signups so far :O sorry if I miss you
finally deleted his sign up post ://

Stratos, Croven, Memoric, Papai Noel, Deoxys Speed, -Tynamo-, Xzern, Meloettaaa, Nido-Rus, Paraplegic, Goao, n1n1, Quaggster, Flame Road, TGMD, thecrystalonix, Dawson B, Derivatives, Robert Alfons, Lunar

Who do you think will be picked? Which teams will take them and for how much cheddar? Personally, I'm a big fan of Lunar and hope he goes to a team on wednesday, what about you?
am i a doubles player? haha

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
also

stratos is like the only "guaranteed" imo though i fee like only the ruiners are gonna cop someone (or the bigs), and i think keith was like LOL FUCK THE RUINERS and the bigs are fucked anyway so yeah.

as for the other squads like cryos dubs squad has been disappointing (srry kami and lohgock) but they spent a minute on dubs already so idk if they'll cop someone now, i wanted and expected check to do better than he has so i can see getting someone to either a) light a fire under dat ass or b) start over him. im p sure zach, kyle, and totem are like 3-1 each and idk about the rest but im sure ya'll did fine :D

Stratos

Banned deucer.
shaian why the fuck are you talking jive you middle class indian hipster. and i never said fuck the ruiners, i don't have a problem w/ 95% of the ruiners, i said i refuse to be on a team with checkmater. bigs won't get me, i expect theyll either keep starting blingas or buy deoxys speed

Arcticblast as a super moderator its your duty to undelete finally's signup

also i said check was going 2-7 at best this season so im excited to see if my prediction was on point

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
matter of fact is there's not a lot of teams looking to pick up a doubles player. speaking for my own team we have a 3-1 player who we're very happy with, other than that let me walk them through in order:

raiders have 3-1 totem, wolfpack has 3-1 braverius (and 0k), falcons have 3-1 kylecole - none of these teams are likely to change their dubs lineup
sharks has 2-2 TFC, classiest has 2-2 arcticblast - i *could* see one of these teams picking up an improvement, but that's looking at their lineups in a vacuum. sharks might be much more interested in picking up someone for dpp/bw ou or even NU (rip cased 1-3), classiest have some ORAS OU issues. sharks also only has 3k so they only get one pickup.
tigers have a 1-2 qsns but they already have majorbowman as a backup and in his sole game he played well and won, so i dont think they're changing
fan favorite checkmater in ruiners is at 1-3, but ruiners seem to have way bigger issues in their lower tiers, with 0 wins in UU and 1 win in NU. they might pick someone up though.
cryos are 0-2 and 0-2, but those players are kamikaze and lohgock - buying a new doubles player would be a waste of money with the potential they already have
BIGs have 0-3 laga who might quit?, and a 1-0 tanner on the bench. their issues are wider than just doubles though and they only have 3k, and thus may very well choose to prioritize another tier (ORAS OU maybe), esp with mizuhime around

also some managers may have personal biases against doubles making it less likely that they'd pick up another doubles player, also also trades are a thing

there's a lot of potential not drafted so far when it comes to doubles players - probably more than most other tiers - but i predict that at most two players will be bought, one feels more realistic and if so it won't be stratos at least since he refuses to play for team ruiners (most likely to pick a dubs player imo) when they have checkmater on the team (lol)

Stratos

Banned deucer.
^good analysis, i too came to the conclusion that we wouldnt be seeing more than 1 doubles pickup, 2 absolute max if bigs and ruiners both get one which is unlikely. FWIW check said he doesn't use IRC so he's never interacting with the team, in which case i'd be willing to play for the ruiners, though the thought of me possibly having to win check a trophy makes me want to hurl. moot point anyways, as i haven't been approached by any team whatsoever.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
we wont be buying a doubles player, we have a total of 3k going into mid and although laga fucking failed us miserably, my boy tanner has spl experience and can hang with anyone in the tier

you also have to factor in teams needing to actually fix real problems, not just improve tiers as isa said. I'm learning more to the no one will get bought during mid

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Assuming that everyone in Salty Suite plays their main tier, we have two different series to look forward to this week:

checkmater vs Stratos
Braverius vs n1n1

Thoughts? Predictions? Hopes? Trash talk that only other DOU players would get so you didn't want to post it in the main thread?

checkmater vs Stratos
Checkmater is getting absolutely murdered in the trash talk exchange on the SS thread oh my god. I can only assume that Stratos will win based on checks poor responses and the fact that he may not even still be alive after the ruthless beating that Stratos dished out.

Braverius vs n1n1 idc they don't even actually have beef

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
checkmater vs Stratos

I predicted check in the other thread but check said bo1 so check definitely seems more nervous than stratos
also last week vs blingas check played like someone who just learned about the move tailwind but never heard of the move protect
hopefully check actually battles; it would be a massive disappointment for this to fall through

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
[20:36] +kamikaze: did you not have follow me on smeargle?
[20:36] +checkmater: I did
[20:36] +kamikaze: why didnt you follow me + fury
[20:36] +checkmater: wanted to spore sylveon?
[20:36] +checkmater: are you talking about the next one?
[20:37] +kamikaze: turn 11
[20:37] +checkmater: that one was me realizing I can't ohko heatran with either mon
[20:37] +checkmater: I need both
[20:37] +checkmater: both hits
[20:37] +checkmater: were rolls
[20:37] +checkmater: im not life orb
[20:37] +kamikaze: oh
[20:37] +checkmater: I just needed to position to kill both kang and sylv same turn
[20:38] +checkmater: and pray for sucker rolls
[20:38] +checkmater: not to ko aegis with life orb
[20:39] +checkmater: which was like 72% / 81% or something like that

for reference if anyone asks

we're planning on playing more matches after n1n1 vs brav ends

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)