Smogon Premier League: Doubles discussion

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Another year, another edition of Doubles OU in SPL!
SPL 7 Match Schedule
SPL 7 Commencement
SPL 7 Player Signups
SPL 7 Farm League Signups

This thread is for discussing anything related to Doubles in one of Smogon's most prestigious tournaments. Who's the big names? Who looks the strongest going in? Why is Stratos' "buyer's guide" so rude? Will Arcticblast choke away a won game every single time he steps up to the plate, like he did last year?

Current stage: Sign-ups! Have you signed up? Go ahead and enter! If you don't make it in the draft, test your mettle in the farm league!

Level 51 edit: This actually isn't in sign-ups anymore. You can still join the farm league but at this point we're all just watching a bunch of people bring silly teams and play other silly teams.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey, i have lurked around the Doubles OU circuit for a couple of months, and there are two people that are 'underrated' yet have performed really well in high-level games as far as i saw. those two people are qsns and Yoda2798 . especially Yoda2798 seems kinda like an underdog to me. ive faced him multiple times on the ladder and have seen his games vs good people, so pick him up! qsns speaks for himself

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
if anyone still thinks qsns is underrated they haven't been watching tours in months. it's like common knowledge that he's a top 5 or 6 player. hell, i don't doubt he could be the best player in the tier in a few months, he's improved stupid fast.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Arcticblast will follow up his Doubles Open win by failing to win a single game. Sorry bro, but that's my actual predict.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
im actually really looking forward to the spl, i hope i can do well in farm league :]
im also really interested in seeing what the "new" players will do but i believe in them

hey, i have lurked around the Doubles OU circuit for a couple of months, and there are two people that are 'underrated' yet have performed really well in high-level games as far as i saw. those two people are qsns and Yoda2798 . especially Yoda2798 seems kinda like an underdog to me. ive faced him multiple times on the ladder and have seen his games vs good people, so pick him up! qsns speaks for himself
i don't think qsns is underrated, i think everyone considers him as a top 5 player

i think it would be cool to see yoda get drafted but i feel like he's just not consistent enough to play spl, he often makes mistakes and idk how well he would perform if there's a lot of spl pressure on him but at the same time it would be super cool to see him getting drafted (mby as sub bb gl in farm league) ♥_♥

Yoda isn't the type of dude who does like really well in seasonals but he's only played in Fall and he just started a few months ago iirc. He's been getting a lot better really fast and I would expect to see a great difference between now and when the draft starts, but he probably won't get as much attention as other players. I don't think he would get drafted though because he doesn't really have a big history with smogon, but as previously stated he's still new.
I'm partially basing his ability to play on friendlies/roomtours so there could be a great jump between that and SPL tier play, but I certainly wouldn't doubt him being pretty good by the time drafting starts.

qsns is a great player imo and it can be seen in his recent tour play how he really knows the game very well (he's managed to mess up a bit lately but being in 2 grand slams at once puts on a lot of pressure). I have no doubt that after his recent performance he will be drafted.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yoda isn't the type of dude who does like really well in seasonals but he's only played in Fall and he just started a few months ago iirc. He's been getting a lot better really fast and I would expect to see a great difference between now and when the draft starts, but he probably won't get as much attention as other players. I don't think he would get drafted though because he doesn't really have a big history with smogon, but as previously stated he's still new.
I'm partially basing his ability to play on friendlies/roomtours so there could be a great jump between that and SPL tier play, but I certainly wouldn't doubt him being pretty good by the time drafting starts.

qsns is a great player imo and it can be seen in his recent tour play how he really knows the game very well (he's managed to mess up a bit lately but being in 2 grand slams at once puts on a lot of pressure). I have no doubt that after his recent performance he will be drafted.
drafts are like only a month or so away? i don't think he can make huge jumps in the meanwhile even though i'd love him see doing so. he just needs to fight top-tier players more often, he still makes a lot of mistakes and loses to low-tier players like me regularly (thats why i love u though Yoda2798), undoubtedly he's full of potential but I dont see an opportunity for him to get drafted if you have ppl like qsns, kyle, laga, deo, kami, rei, arctic etc in front of you, maybe if he'll go undefeated in farm league but even then i don't see him getting in for mid-season

yoda u should do some tryouts show them what ur worth

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
Usually I don't care too much about SPL but seeing some of my good friends be considered and likely drafted is really exciting and I'm looking forward to rooting my pals on.

Watching qsns is gonna be so much fun, since I'm very confident he'll get drafted.

Other players I'm hoping to see drafted are Memoric and shaian. Both good players, good friends, and good people. Perhaps both of these guys are a little less likely to get drafted, but I'm confident they could perform well.

Looking forward to watching some amazing Doubles matches, and good luck to anyone drafted!

i dont wanna talk about the big names tbh, since those already have their fame. most people will just do /roomauth and scout through @ and above in the dou room like stratos, arctic, spacebass, hashtag, kyle, rei, laga, kamikaze, shaian, etc..
what i want to highlight is that we have a few non known users that are worth the recognition and the chance, to me at least. they might mostly be +s, so not too different, but still. these people include yellow paint, nido-rus, talkingtree, rubyd, pomodoro, lasagne, aurarayquaza, croven, etc... even some regulars like roxer, killianvgc, checkmater...(altho he is known, and i dont think anyone has the right to critisize playstyles just because they are different, so leave him alone imo)
i've probably missed many many more, and i dont want this to be seen as that guy with the friendship parade's post, since while they are obviously not all "the best" , i would like to not see the same names in the same big tournaments over and over.

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Personally I don't feel ready to participate in a tournament as big as SPL, so I'm not signing up. What I do think could be interesting, however, is to see how Farm League plays out - could be cool to see some of the lesser-known members that silverwhiteblue was mentioning show off their stuff and hopefully get some recognition!

That being said, I'm also excited to watch some of the people I've gotten to know these past few months support their teams in SPL, so good luck everyone n_n

qsns

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
VGCPL Champion
itt the qsns fanclub :3

i dont wanna talk about the big names tbh, since those already have their fame. most people will just do /roomauth and scout through @ and above in the dou room like stratos, arctic, spacebass, hashtag, kyle, rei, laga, kamikaze, shaian, etc..
what i want to highlight is that we have a few non known users that are worth the recognition and the chance, to me at least. they might mostly be +s, so not too different, but still. these people include yellow paint, nido-rus, talkingtree, rubyd, pomodoro, lasagne, aurarayquaza, croven, etc... even some regulars like roxer, killianvgc, checkmater...(altho he is known, and i dont think anyone has the right to critisize playstyles just because they are different, so leave him alone imo)
i've probably missed many many more, and i dont want this to be seen as that guy with the friendship parade's post, since while they are obviously not all "the best" , i would like to not see the same names in the same big tournaments over and over.

1. in what world does ps auth equate to skill or spl readiness? all ps auth means is that you're a good chat presence/are trusted to moderate the chatroom. spacebass and hashtag, two room owners you mentioned, have not signed up for spl probably bc they don't care lol. i can absolutely guarantee that no manager will do what you just described with roomauth, however, they will look at past tour performance and enthusiasm for the tournament in general.

also lagas a voice lol

2. if a player really wants to play in spl then they should have the tour results to back it up. all of the players you mentioned besides croven have had average results in the last seasonal. the smogon premier league is for the best players in the tier. i know where you're coming from because i was in that position last year during these signups (i was much worse than anyone you just mentioned lmao, abysmal tournament results), but the easiest way to overcome the "staleness" of the "same big names" (false btw, there is no way in hell people like memoric, deo and i would be considered last year lol) is for more people to get better. I dont want this to be seen as an elitist point but more of a motivational one. if you really want to get into spl this year, then don't just "sit back and wait for the voices to get their chance." talk to managers, share replays of test battles with proven players. if you dont like your chances this year then do well next year in big tours like open and the seasonal circuit. sitting back and crossing your fingers for a manager to pick you is literally the worst thing you can do.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
considering kamikaze17, arcticblast, blood totem, kylecole, qsns, myself, shaian, deo speed, and memoric all didn't play last year i'm pretty sure it is not the same names in big tournaments over and over. if you mean we're always in seasonal finals and stuff then sorry for winning? but that's why we're the most likely to get drafted? if a manager only has limited money they're not going to blow it on someone whos not even a top 20 player in a lower tier just because they "deserve their time in the limelight" or whatever

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
deoxys speed > all
this message brought to you by finally
Real talk tho. Of all the new players that havent played in SPL yet, the one I want to see drafted the most is deoxys speed . He won last Spring Seasonal which had over 200 players, but he has kinda went off the radar recently.

Its always pleasure to watch him play and see what new teams he comes up with. His unpredictability in teambuilding is often his biggest strength and he is a solid player to boot.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Congrats to KyleCole, kamikaze, Laga, Totem, qsns, Lohgock, and checkmater for getting drafted!

also grats to other likely Doubles players Biosci, majorbowman, Braverius, Stathakis, and TFC!

also me but I can't just congratulate yourself yknow?

kamikaze edit: Congrats Arcticblast!!

level 51 edit: Congrats Arcticblast!!

KyleCole edit: Congrats Farticblast!!

aw thanks guys :)

full results here

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)