12. Headbutt @ Lv. 24
  13. Zen Headbutt @ Lv. 28
  14. Worry Seed @ Lv. 33
  15. Crunch @ Lv. 38
  16. Seed Bomb @ Lv. 44
  17. Solar Beam @ Lv. 48
  18. Overheat @ Lv. 48
  19. TM Moves:
  20. Take Down, Flamethrower, Hyper Beam, Solar Beam, Fire Blast, Rest, Substitute, Thief, Protect, Scary Face, Sandstorm, Giga Drain, Endure, Sleep Talk, Sunny Day, Crunch, Will-O-Wisp, Facade, Helping Hand, Overheat, Bullet Seed, Magical Leaf, Seed Bomb, Energy Ball, Giga Impact, Fire Fang, Zen Headbutt, Leaf Storm, Grass Knot, Grassy Terrain, Stomping Tantrum, Tera Blast, Trailblaze
  21. Egg Moves
  22. Leech Seed, Rollout, Ingrain, Worry Seed, Rage Powder

Pros

- Unique Fire/Grass typing allows it to abuse strong STAB moves such as Fire Blast and Leaf Storm
- One of the few Pokemon currently in the game with access to Chlorophyll as well as Growth
- 108/108 Attacking stats are decently strong and allow it go mixed
- Base 75 Speed, while not the fastest, is usable enough in sun and is only outsped by a handful of threats once Chlorophyll is activated
- Non attacking options such as Will-o-Wisp and Substitute can catch opponents off guard

Cons
- 65/65/65 Defences are very poor and strong priority moves have a good chance to OHKO
- 75 speed outside of sun simply isn't enough to keep up with the fast paced OU tier
- Its physical movepool is a lot weaker than its special movepool base power wise making fully physical sets suboptimal
- Has to rely on the rather weak Stomping Tantrum to hit opposing Fire types and it lacks any strong options to hit Dragons
- Using this on Sun teams comes with the risk of giving your opponent an extra boost to their stats if they bring any Ancient Paradox forms to the battle and some will outspeed with a boost

Terastylizing Potential
Terastylizing into a Fire Type with the Sun up will make your Fire Blasts and Flamethrowers even more devastating and is probably its best option overall. If anyone has other ideas for what types could be useful to turn into let me know and I'll add them here. :]

Example Set
Scovillain @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid/Naive Nature
- Growth
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Giga Drain / Energy Ball
- Stomping Tantrum

Very reminiscent of Venusaur, Growth in the Sun is +2 to both attacking stats which is beneficial for Scovillain as it powers up the otherwise weak Stomping Tantrum to the point where it can OHKO the majority of Fire types in the tier. Grass/Fire/Ground hits most of the tier for at least neutral damage outside of certain Dragons and flying/levitating Fire types like Rotom-H.

Overall I think Scovillian may struggle early on but will likely be better once some of the strongest Paradox forms are banned. Right now it has very little competition as a Chlorophyll sweeper and if sun is going to be one of the strongest playstyles this gen then Scovillain will always be a solid option.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the biggest weakness that Scovillain has this gen is not even its low speed outside of Sun, but rather its low speed inside Sun.
It's probably gonna settle down nicely once Roaring Moon and Fluttering Mane gets the boot, but currently they are on every other team, and if built to get a speed boost with Protosynthesis, will always outspeed and threaten to OHKO Scovillain, so he never really ever gets a chance to do anything in many cases.

What about Moody staller Scovillain? i was thinking of having mine with SubProtect and Giga Drain or would that get banned like Glalie?

The problem with Scovillain is it lacks any special coverage (unless you want to count Tera Blast) and it doesn't have great physical stab options either (seriously? Fire Fang and Seed Bomb? No Leaf Blade or Flare Blitz?). A mixed set *could* be tried with Flamethrower/Fire Blast-Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain-Zen Heabutt-Crunch, but that likely means you'll have to leave speed largely univested. 150 speed in the sun isn't very impressive, as it would just get outclassed by Venusaur which also has better coverage and defenses. Even it's offenses, 108 each, are good but not great without a Growth boost.

As for utility, it gets Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed. That's... honestly about it. It gets Rage Powder, but for how pitiful it's defenses are I highly doubt it'd be worth using. As for Spicy Extract, it could've been amazing in tandem with Foul Play, but it doesn't get Foul Play. Could be interesting in doubles though.

Last edited:
The problem with Scovillain is it lacks any special coverage (unless you want to count Tera Blast) and it doesn't have great physical stab options either (seriously? Fire Fang and Seed Bomb? No Leaf Blade or Flare Blitz?). A mixed set *could* be tried with Flamethrower/Fire Blast-Leaf Storm/Energy Ball/Giga Drain-Zen Heabutt-Crunch, but that likely means you'll have to leave speed largely univested. 150 speed in the sun isn't very impressive, as it would just get outclassed by Venusaur which also has better coverage and defenses. Even it's offenses, 108 each, are good but not great without a Growth boost.

As for utility, it gets Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed. That's... honestly about it. It gets Rage Powder, but for how pitiful it's defenses are I highly doubt it'd be worth using. As for Spicy Extract, it could've been amazing in tandem with Foul Play, but it doesn't get Foul Play. Could be interesting in doubles though.
Yeah I am kinda torn to go mixed or Fully special. If you go mixed its hard to get its speed up without sacrificing one of its attack stats. Thinking if you go a speed boosting nature, give it a defensive negitive nature, then max speed and spred out attacks, thats probably the best idea for a mixed set but it makes it a glass cannon. Growth plus Giga Drain may help with that. If you go pure special I cannot find any other special attacks other then tera blast... If you wanted a mix set, best I think is something like

Growth, Giga Drain/Seed bomb, Flamethrower, Crunch/Zen Headbut/Stomping tantrum/Leechseed

Honestly though it may be best to run it special, with 2 status moves. Leech seed for singles, and Spicy Extract for Doubles/VGC. Pair it with a partner with Clear amulet means you can give a partner a free swords dance without any stat lowering

It's a shame Spicy Extract doesn't boost YOUR attack and lower your opponent's defenses. As an exclusive move I was hoping for something with a little more...spice.
Ba da dum.

Ibhave been enjoying this guy in the sun. Getting even 1 growth in means you can just go to town... barring any dragon or fire type pokemon are dead. With them up though.... this guy has issues. You have 3 options for a last move in singles and a 4th option for vgc.

Option 1: leech seed. Better then will o wisp i feel since leech seed will help force out fire types that may want to try setting up. Extra healing is nice as well. Plus really nothing is immune to leech seed save sap sippers or people immune to status, and those get slapped by your fire moves.

Option 2: a random physical move. Even with an attack lowering nature, after a grow or 2 the move should be hitting hard. However you dont have many options and all leave you open in some way. Crunch gets walled by dark/ fire and dark/dragon types. Zen headbutt is the same. Stomping tantrum gets walled by any flying or levitating dragons or fire types. Probably your best bet is stomping tantrum, as thats the least you gotta worry about (any of the fire birds, salamence, dragonite, alteria, and a few others)

Option 3: tera blast. This may be its best option. Even as just a normal attack it will get around everything but fire/ghosts and dragon/ghosts, and if you run into those you can change yourself to a type that would hit it all. Fairy was mentioned but fire resists fairy. Dragon could be your best option where really only dragon/fairy and fire/fairy would still resist you, and if i recall no pokemon has either of those types. Plus you keep most of your old resistances except for fairy, and gain 2 more to fire and water, so defensivly you aren't hurting more with this.

4th option(doubles/vgc only) spicy extract. This could be a great combo in doubles. You can use this on an ally that either has cleard body or big pecks or the clear amulet, and you basically give them a free swords dance. And then you use this on enemy special attackers so they take extra damage from the buddy you just buffed.

I dont think this guy will be OU, but they do have potential to be good, if you take out its counters or plan ahead

Last edited:
One of my favorite new Pokémon. It isn't really outstanding in battle in OU anyways. It's inability to hit Fire/Dragon types hard really puts a damper on its potential. A lot of times it doesn't even the opportunity to set up and if it does it get knocked out the next turn due to a revenge killer.

this thing is horrendous to face in randoms; but i do wish we got something better for our grass/fire type. a pepper plant was the to-go choice, but the design is..kinda lame, disappointing overall. decent mixed offenses, disappointing movepool, middling speed, and overall feels like it has no defined place in the meta. spicy extract also sucks.

this thing is horrendous to face in randoms; but i do wish we got something better for our grass/fire type. a pepper plant was the to-go choice, but the design is..kinda lame, disappointing overall. decent mixed offenses, disappointing movepool, middling speed, and overall feels like it has no defined place in the meta. spicy extract also sucks.
Spicy Extract is meant for doubles. And it’s meant to be a Chlorophyll Sweeper so the speed is irrelevant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)