Scizor [QC: 3/4]

Would an EV spread like this be viable for mega Scizor?

EVs: 218 HP / 38 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature

It allows Scizor to avoid the 2HKO from greninjas Hydro Pump.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For something so minuscule though, I fail to see where it's an advantage.
Light Metal allows you to take less damage from Low Kick and Grass Knots on the switch.
When Scizor mega-evolves, he simply gains more bulk and attack, he doesn't lose anything.
There is absolutely no disadvantage to instantly mega-evolving on the first turn M-Scizor is brought out, as there is no change in typing or any decreases in stats that may affect your decision to do so, unlike for example; M-Gyarados might hold off on mega evolving to switch in for free on an Earthquake or getting a Moxie boost, M-Heracross might hold off mega-evolving to outpace a certain threat, etc.

The Shellder Smuggler

Banned deucer.
Light Metal allows you to take less damage from Low Kick and Grass Knots on the switch.
When Scizor mega-evolves, he simply gains more bulk and attack, he doesn't lose anything.
There is absolutely no disadvantage to instantly mega-evolving on the first turn M-Scizor is brought out, as there is no change in typing or any decreases in stats that may affect your decision to do so, unlike for example; M-Gyarados might hold off on mega evolving to switch in for free on an Earthquake or getting a Moxie boost, M-Heracross might hold off to outpace a certain threat, etc.
Thanks for answering such a confusing question for me :]

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In short, if you use Technician on Scizor pre-mega evolution, you gain nothing, whereas using Light Metal might lessen some damage you take, even if it's a minuscule chance.
Basically- small advantage > no advantage

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to advocate for a Superpower slash on the Defog set. Why? Because the two Pokemon most likely to switch into a defensive Defog Scizor are Bisharp (for obvious Defiant reasons) and Heatran (for obvious Heatran reasons). Superpower makes both of them cry, OHKOing Bisharp and doing about 60-70% to Heatran, a massive dent for a Pokemon without a recovery move.

In short, if nobody objects, the set should look like this:

Defog
########
name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Roost
move 3: Superpower / Bullet Punch / Knock Off
move 4: U-turn
ability: Technician
item: Scizorite
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to advocate for a Superpower slash on the Defog set. Why? Because the two Pokemon most likely to switch into a defensive Defog Scizor are Bisharp (for obvious Defiant reasons) and Heatran (for obvious Heatran reasons). Superpower makes both of them cry, OHKOing Bisharp and doing about 60-70% to Heatran, a massive dent for a Pokemon without a recovery move.

In short, if nobody objects, the set should look like this:

Defog
########
ability: Technician
Im also okay with this. Originally I thought about BP slashed with U-turn but the momentum loss blows.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't Light Metal be preferred on said Defog set, since you are running Scizorite.
Yeah. The set in the OP Should be:
Defog
########
ability: Light Metal

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quick question for the Defog set: wouldn't it be better to shift 4 EVs from HP and put them into Attack? IIRC, maxing Scizor's HP EVs makes it take an extra point of SR damage (and other sources of passive damage), and even though you're removing SR w/ Defog, I think there's no harm in reducing any passive damage Scizor may take.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
On the Defog set, it may be worth stating the advantages of using Mega Scizor over other available Defog users like, say, Mew and Mandibuzz, so people have an idea of what sort of teams and Pokemon it performs well alongside. Also, Bulk Up Thundurus doesn't exist as a set.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bp is wayyy more necessary than u turn on defog sets in my opinion. Also the offensive sd set doesn't need a bug move
Talked with some other QC guys and we'd like you implement both points:

defog

move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: U-turn / Superpower / Knock Off

offensive sd

move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Superpower / U-turn

I'm a little curious about the EV spread on the Bulky SD set. Unless I'm doing something wrong with my calculations, Mega Scizor only needs 112 Def EVs to escape the 2HKO from Adamant Excadrill's Earthquake even after Stealth Rock, and it only needs 100 SpD EVs to escape the 2HKO from Quiet Aegislash's Shadow Ball from full health. Could you take 16 of those extra EVs and place them in Atk for that jump point? It doesn't really matter where you take them from as long as you keep those benchmarks intact, but 5 points for the price of 4 is always a good thing.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Starmie is letting me finish this off because he doesn't want to continue it, so just delete this once I make a new thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)