Sableye [QC: 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Few things I noticed.

Maybe you meant physical attackers? Your EV spread is already maximum investment in special bulk.

I think Snarl is more comparable to Confide, which benefits from Prankster without the pitiful damage.
Though I suppose it's true Knock Off >>>> Snarl
Changed, thanks again!

Minus

I went back through the thread and I think I've fixed all of my mistakes, correct me if I'm missing something!

I think Confuse Ray warrants a mention, as it creates a no-risk 50/50 situation against any pokemon as a last resort. At least in OO, as it is pretty viable to allow it to stop a sweep if worst comes to worst.

Minus

I think Confuse Ray warrants a mention, as it creates a no-risk 50/50 situation against any pokemon as a last resort. At least in OO, as it is pretty viable to allow it to stop a sweep if worst comes to worst.
All of Sableye's moves are waaaay to good for something like confusion, though, making it inferior. I'm not going to bother putting it anywhere unless someone agrees with you, Swamp Link :P

Last edited:
You state Espeon can't hit Sableye for much, but Espeon sometimes carries Dazzling Gleam which does more than half to Sableye, if it's a offensive variant, or around half if it isn't. Defensive oriented Espeon makes Foul Play a 3HKO. I'm pretty sure Espeon can be considered a threat if it carries Dazzling Gleam.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

the best stall set i have ever used. keep it away from houndoom, though.

Minus

You state Espeon can't hit Sableye for much, but Espeon sometimes carries Dazzling Gleam which does more than half to Sableye, if it's a offensive variant, or around half if it isn't. Defensive oriented Espeon makes Foul Play a 3HKO. I'm pretty sure Espeon can be considered a threat if it carries Dazzling Gleam.
Fixed
Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute

the best stall set i have ever used. keep it away from houndoom, though.
tried it on Showdown a while ago. Got Taunted every time :(

tehy

Banned deucer.
So i've been using Sableye fairly extensively this gen too, and i have to say that i switched to Knock Off and never looked back. Usually, when you change moves like that, there are times when you go 'man, having that would have saved my ass' or 'i wish i still had that'. I can't remember having that feeling, like, at all.

Knock off lets it completely trash Heatran, one of its best counters. Suddenly, it's lost around 20% of its HP and it won't be recovering that back via leftovers. It also lets you get rid of Toxic Orbs, which

A:Rotom-w volt switch to gliscor/breloom is no longer guaranteed activation
B:after knock off, Aromatherapy/Heal Bell gg's the aforementioned pair

It lets you get rid of leftovers, which lets sableye have an impact, even if the other team has Heal Bell or Magic Guard pokemon. With it, Sableye is never truly useless. And of course, getting rid of special attacker's life orbs and choice specs makes it harder for them to break sableye, too.

Anyhow, Knock Off for first slash.

Minus

So i've been using Sableye fairly extensively this gen too, and i have to say that i switched to Knock Off and never looked back. Usually, when you change moves like that, there are times when you go 'man, having that would have saved my ass' or 'i wish i still had that'. I can't remember having that feeling, like, at all.

Knock off lets it completely trash Heatran, one of its best counters. Suddenly, it's lost around 20% of its HP and it won't be recovering that back via leftovers. It also lets you get rid of Toxic Orbs, which

A:Rotom-w volt switch to gliscor/breloom is no longer guaranteed activation
B:after knock off, Aromatherapy/Heal Bell gg's the aforementioned pair

It lets you get rid of leftovers, which lets sableye have an impact, even if the other team has Heal Bell or Magic Guard pokemon. With it, Sableye is never truly useless. And of course, getting rid of special attacker's life orbs and choice specs makes it harder for them to break sableye, too.

Anyhow, Knock Off for first slash.
I can see both sides of the argument, but Foul Play tends to hit harder. I'm going to keep it as the first slash unless some overwhelming majority disagrees with me :P

Fixed

tried it on Showdown a while ago. Got Taunted every time :(
thats strange. i use showdown and i have used that set on every team i have run and i havent gotten taunted even once. put to sleep, sure but not taunted.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Of course it hits harder, that was never really up for debate; the question at hand is if that harder hitting is worth giving up the chance to strip foes of their items. I have to say that i fought a couple of heatrans on stall teams, and before i started using Knock Off...that would've been nearly GG, right there. Now? I just Knocked them off and stalled their asses out, then proceeded to win.

So, if you really consider foul play to be better, fine, but list some stuff that it does. is it getting crucial 2hitkoes, or even Ohkoes? What mons does sableye really need it for, this gen?

T.k to make a long story short that set sucks, so badly. You instantly lose to any fire-type, anything with heal bell or natural cure isn't too fussed either. Taunt smashes you too, the other side can set up hazards all over your face. Any defensive pokemon with recovery can just whale away at you, and at best it's just a stally stalemate.

Edit:
It was running from non-mega'd Zard in the first place, and zard can still just blitz it in the face and Sableye can still taunt it. Foul Play is super helpful for zard, yeah, but it's still something you should run from a lot of the time.

As for talonflame, 0 Atk Sableye Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 109-130 (36.5 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage, so it does take it pretty hard after rocks and get rid of its leftovers/offensive item. Foul Play does harder, hits more consistently, and OHKOs after rocks, but you're still not defenseless against it.

And more importantly, Sableye is a stallbreaker first and foremost in my opinion; he should be better able to do that.

Last edited:

Minus

Of course it hits harder, that was never really up for debate; the question at hand is if that harder hitting is worth giving up the chance to strip foes of their items. I have to say that i fought a couple of heatrans on stall teams, and before i started using Knock Off...that would've been nearly GG, right there. Now? I just Knocked them off and stalled their asses out, then proceeded to win.

So, if you really consider foul play to be better, fine, but list some stuff that it does. is it getting crucial 2hitkoes, or even Ohkoes? What mons does sableye really need it for, this gen?

T.k to make a long story short that set sucks, so badly. You instantly lose to any fire-type, anything with heal bell or natural cure isn't too fussed either. Taunt smashes you too, the other side can set up hazards all over your face. Any defensive pokemon with recovery can just whale away at you, and at best it's just a stally stalemate.
Ran some damage calcs and was playing on Showdown, Knock-Off seems like the better choice. It allows you to cripple Cress and Heatran's only method of recovery outside of Wish. It can really piss off defensive teams...Knock-Off is gonna be the first slot then. Sableye isn't meant to to hit things, it's to cripple stuff, and Knock-Off can do that better than Foul Play

tl;dr Knock-Off is gonna be first slash

EDIT: As Alexwolf said earlier, Knock Off leaves Sableye running from Mega Zard X and Talonflame....

Minus

thats strange. i use showdown and i have used that set on every team i have run and i havent gotten taunted even once. put to sleep, sure but not taunted.
Pretty much what tehy said. It's kinda...meh, ya know? dealt with easily and is outclassed by the set here, not to say that it doesn't have a niche against unprepared teams.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
This looks great. I have the same question as Woodchuck, though, and even if there is some reason to use Confide over Calm Mind, neither move seems worthy of more than a brief Set Details mention.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Minus

This looks great. I have the same question as Woodchuck, though, and even if there is some reason to use Confide over Calm Mind, neither move seems worthy of more than a brief Set Details mention.

QC APPROVED 1/3
Thanks a bunch! I'll fix it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Confide is better, as its effect stays if Sableye switches out, which it will if a strong special attacker comes in. This way, you can make a Pokemon weak enough so that your other Pokemon can take care of it, while with Calm Mind you are stuck walling something against which you can't do nothing (Fire-type special attackers, special attackers with Sub).

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Amazing typing. Immunity to Normal, Fighting, and Psychic. Only weak to Fairy.
It's typing is not amazing, it's just good, so tone it down.

Main Set

Moves

Move Calm Mind to OO, it's really bad.

Usage Tips

make use Sableye's gift of Priority status
Remove this, it's superfluous with the rest of the stuff you mention.

Team Options

This section is very lacking. You don't mention the main partners that Sableye should have, Pokemon that can take on Fairy and Fire-types. Heatran can wall Talonflame, and check Fairy-types, as well as both MEvo Char formes (though it's a shaky check to both) so it's a great teammate. Include a couple more examples.

You also mention hazard users to use alongside Sableye, but you nowhere state how Sableye can spinblock those hazards or prevent the use of Defog as long as he is in the field with priority Taunt. So, mention that Sableye can fit well on HO teams that employ suicide dual hazard leads (Deo-D and Deo-S mainly), as those kind of teams sometimes have enough offensive pressure to keep their hazards up even against Defog users, and Sableye helps even more.

Pokemon that can make use their crippled opponents are the best teammates for Sableye. Likewise, bulky sweepers appreciate the buffer given to their defense because of burns, such as Mega-Ampharos, as it can easily tank and an Outrage from a burned Mega-Garchomp and OHKO back with Dragon Pulse.
Remove this, it's a bad example, and it's kinda irrelevant anyway, as Sableye can beat the majority of physical attackers that he burns, one on one.

Also, don't explicitly state Heal Bell support. After mentioning Blissey, just talk about how she can use Heal Bell to further assist Sableye.

Other Options

Sableye has a shallow move pool, but it can make use almost any status moves it has bar gimmicky moves like Attract and Captivate.
Remove this.

Do those and consider it

QC APPROVED 2/3

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Since I was tagged yeah Confide and Calm Mind are better suited for Moves section. Confide is slightly better though since Sableye is sacrificing any potential to attack to at least make its job of stalling burn easier and makes it easier for Sableye's teammates to switch in. Otherwise Foul play and Knock Off are far more superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)