Monotype Rate My Spoooooooky Mono Ghost

In the spirit of Halloween (and because ghost-type is my favorite), I thought I'd run my mono ghost team by you guys. I didn't want any Ubers in it (sorry, Giratina and M-Gengar), so it's mainly an OU team. Let me know what you think!

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Gengar is my main special sweeper, his poison typing able to counteract the dominant fairy-type, and
Levitate ability being able to counteract the pesky ground-type attacks, and since he is not going M-Gengar, I opted for a life orb
for that extra damage.

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Foul Play

Banette is my mega on this team, and I would prefer to keep him on, if possible. His high attack and Prankster ability allow him to be one of my two physical attackers on the team. Will-O-Wisp to cut the physical damage he'll be taking, and Destiny Bond for obvious Prankster shenanigans. I put Frisk on regular Banette to scope out the items the enemy is using before going Mega.

Cofagrigus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Pain Split
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Cofagrigus is my physical wall on the team. I'm not too sure the optimal moveset on him, but this one has paid off pretty well. He gets shut down pretty hard by status effects, however, poison being the big counter to him. Pain Split for survivability, Calm mind to boost his Hex, and Will-O-Wisp to cut physical attacks.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Dark Pulse

(I know Sableye's primary typing is dark, but he's my favorite Pokemon, and ghost-type is in there so I'm counting him as a ghost-type...) I am strongly considering swapping M-Banette for a M-Sableye, and replacing Banette with someone else, but this Sableye build is focused all on the stalling aspect of him. Will-O-Wisp to cut attack, Calm Mind to boost Sableye's Sp. Def, and make his Dark Pulse stronger, and Recover to...recover.

Golurk @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

My second physical attacker, I opted for the Iron Fist Golurk to boost his attack even further with his choice band. Drain Punch for coverage/sustain, Shadow Punch and Earthquake for STAB, and Ice Punch for coverage.

Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 8HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Sort of a trolly support lead, Froslass functions as a 1 for 1 team member, setting up spikes in order to break Sturdy/Focus Sashes, and her incredible speed allows for an almost guaranteed Destiny Bond, after she gets hit by an attack.

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Frosker welcome to Smogon, I have a few suggestions to help your ghost team function better overall.

Firstly, Gengar has access to lots of coverage moves however I find this set to be effective in helping Gengar beating tyoes that trouble Ghost such as Normal and Fighting as overall making it generally more viable. Sludge Wave -> Sludge Bomb
as Gengar is supposed to be used as a sweeper Sludge Wave offers more cleaning ability woth tye extra base power it has which makes the sweep easier to accomplish. Focus Blast -> Dazzling Gleam both cover up the Dark monotyoe which gives Ghost teams trouble but also gives Gengar the ability to damage Normal & Steel types such as Chansey, Porygon2 and Heatran which otherwise wall it. This also gives Gengar a solid way to take diwn Bisharp on switch in on of the scariest pokemon to deal with on a ghost monotype. Taunt -> Thunderbolt as this injuction with Focus Blast makes Gengar a pain for Normal tyoes to truly wall it as they cant spam recover or cripple Gengar with a status move that influcts Burns or Paralysis. Taunt is mainly to keep pokemon such as Chansey, Porygon2, Mega Venusaur and status spreaders from affecting Gengar to much. Taunt can also cripple resttalk users such as Mega Aggron and Suicune which can give Ghost teams a bit of trouble.

Honestly the best Ghost builds without access to Mega Sableye don't really use Mega Evolutions as they don't add as much to the type as other options. So i decided to change Chandelure -> Mega Banette as it can help the team against matchups such as Water, Steel, Grass and Ice through its amazing coverage abilities. The choice scarf allows Chandelure to act as a great late game cleaner with its already insane special attack stat it becomes a very annoyibg Pokemon to deal with. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are obvious STAB coverage options that allows Chandelure to take down many annoying threats such as Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Slowbro and the list goes on. I added Energy Ball to help the team deal with buljy Water and Ground types that can be annoying to take down such as Swampert, Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Keldeo, Mega Gyarados which can threaten ghost through its status, walling abilities or overall sweeping capabilities. Trick was finally added to cripple Bulky Walls by trading their items with a Choice Scarf destroying their ability to truly act as annoying walls.

Sableye is a very good Pokemon to have on Ghost monotypes as it can cripple annoying sweepers such as Mega Gyarados, Sharpedo and many more as the list of Physical Dark threats to Ghost. Its dark typing also gives it a nice Dark neutrality which is very important to Ghost monotypes as Dark is one of its biggest weaknesses. Taunt -> Calm Mind as it allows Sableye to prevent from hazards being setup, setup sweepers using Sableye as bait and to setup and to prevent recovery and the spreading of status moves su h as Toxic, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave. Knock Off -> Dark Pulse as it allows Sableye to cripple opponents teams through knocking off crucial items such as Choiced Items, Leftovers or Eviolites which make it respectively harder to fulfill their designed roles.

Golurk is the Ghost monotypes premiere hazard setter and overall its best physical powerhouse. While your original set does maximize Golurks offensive potential it takes away its very important role as Ghost Stealth Rock setter. So for this Stealth Rock -> Shadow Punch as I have already mentioned Golurk is Ghosts premiere stealth rocks user and is a necessary role for Golurk to play. In junction with No Guard Golurk automatically hits all moves 100% of the time and for this reason I would give Golurk Dynamic Punch -> Drain Punch as it has more Base Power, hits 100% of the time and can confuse the opponent which is great for any team. This also gives ghost types another check to threatening and Bulky steel, normal and dark type pokemon which can be troublesome for ghost. Stone Edge -> Ice Punch as they both hit the same things however Stone Edge can help against annoying Flying types such as Charizard and Mega Pidgeot while also taking advantage of No Guard -> Iron Fist as it makes all of Golurks moves includong Stone Edge hit with 100% accuracy. Focus Sash -> Choice Band as this almost guarantees that Golurk can lay hazards or get off an attack without worrying about feinting and overall making Golurk alot more usable as it can fill uts roles on the Ghost type better.

Instead if Froslass I thought the team could function better if you had access to a more defensive core while having access to a FWG core to help its coverage overall greatly increase. Trevanant -> Froslass as it is a great wall as it can easily be very annoying with the combination of Lum Berry + Rest + Harvest allows Trevanant to have access to very annoying and reliable recovery. This makes Trevanant a very bulky wall unable to be affected by status with reliable 12% a turn recovery. Trevanant now has 3 moves and has to decide whether you want to run an attack that can help the team take on Water types or whether to increase its walling capabilities by crippling the opponent with a Will-O-Wisp. Horn Leech completes the triad between itself, Chandelure and Jellicent gives it access to beat out water and Ground types more easily and adding even additional recovery from Leech Seed a turn. Will-O-Wisp further increases Trevanants ability to cripple physical attackers and tack on an additional 12% a turn with leech seed to make each opposing pokemon have little time on the field to have an affect. Also this move allows Trevanant not to be completely useless in the grass type matchup.

Honestly in the Balanced playstyle Jellicent -> Cofagrius in almost every way from recovery, defenses and overall more beneficial typing. Jellicent is a great Special Wall with access to recover, scald, toxic and acid armor in junction with Cursed Body can cripple opposing threats by one burning or poisoning them through Scald and Toxic, can setup its mediocre defenses into new heights with Acid Armor and stop threats from spamming the same move through its ability cursed body. This pokemon can stop any threat that allows it to setup Acid Armor on the Physical side and can overall be an annoying pokemon to take out. Not to mention Jellicent completes the FWG core with itself, Trevanant and Chandelure.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Rest
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech / Will-O-Wisp

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

The monotype room on Pokemon Showdown is also friendly don't be afraid to ask for teambuilding help! They will help as much as they can to help you team build and test your teams. Also if you didnt catch FWG core is a FireWaterGrass Core. Good Luck with the new team. :)

Edit: Also in regular monotype you have to go by this banlist: http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/monotype/
There are otger OMs of Monotype such as Ubers where you can use Giratina, Mega Gengar and other ORAS banned pokemon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ren
Hey Frosker welcome to Smogon, I have a few suggestions to help your ghost team function better overall.

Firstly, Gengar has access to lots of coverage moves however I find this set to be effective in helping Gengar beating tyoes that trouble Ghost such as Normal and Fighting as overall making it generally more viable. Sludge Wave -> Sludge Bomb
as Gengar is supposed to be used as a sweeper Sludge Wave offers more cleaning ability woth tye extra base power it has which makes the sweep easier to accomplish. Focus Blast -> Dazzling Gleam both cover up the Dark monotyoe which gives Ghost teams trouble but also gives Gengar the ability to damage Normal & Steel types such as Chansey, Porygon2 and Heatran which otherwise wall it. This also gives Gengar a solid way to take diwn Bisharp on switch in on of the scariest pokemon to deal with on a ghost monotype. Taunt -> Thunderbolt as this injuction with Focus Blast makes Gengar a pain for Normal tyoes to truly wall it as they cant spam recover or cripple Gengar with a status move that influcts Burns or Paralysis. Taunt is mainly to keep pokemon such as Chansey, Porygon2, Mega Venusaur and status spreaders from affecting Gengar to much. Taunt can also cripple resttalk users such as Mega Aggron and Suicune which can give Ghost teams a bit of trouble.

Honestly the best Ghost builds without access to Mega Sableye don't really use Mega Evolutions as they don't add as much to the type as other options. So i decided to change Chandelure -> Mega Banette as it can help the team against matchups such as Water, Steel, Grass and Ice through its amazing coverage abilities. The choice scarf allows Chandelure to act as a great late game cleaner with its already insane special attack stat it becomes a very annoyibg Pokemon to deal with. Fire Blast and Shadow Ball are obvious STAB coverage options that allows Chandelure to take down many annoying threats such as Bisharp, Mega Scizor, Slowbro and the list goes on. I added Energy Ball to help the team deal with buljy Water and Ground types that can be annoying to take down such as Swampert, Hippowdon, Gastrodon, Keldeo, Mega Gyarados which can threaten ghost through its status, walling abilities or overall sweeping capabilities. Trick was finally added to cripple Bulky Walls by trading their items with a Choice Scarf destroying their ability to truly act as annoying walls.

Sableye is a very good Pokemon to have on Ghost monotypes as it can cripple annoying sweepers such as Mega Gyarados, Sharpedo and many more as the list of Physical Dark threats to Ghost. Its dark typing also gives it a nice Dark neutrality which is very important to Ghost monotypes as Dark is one of its biggest weaknesses. Taunt -> Calm Mind as it allows Sableye to prevent from hazards being setup, setup sweepers using Sableye as bait and to setup and to prevent recovery and the spreading of status moves su h as Toxic, Will-O-Wisp and Thunder Wave. Knock Off -> Dark Pulse as it allows Sableye to cripple opponents teams through knocking off crucial items such as Choiced Items, Leftovers or Eviolites which make it respectively harder to fulfill their designed roles.

Golurk is the Ghost monotypes premiere hazard setter and overall its best physical powerhouse. While your original set does maximize Golurks offensive potential it takes away its very important role as Ghost Stealth Rock setter. So for this Stealth Rock -> Shadow Punch as I have already mentioned Golurk is Ghosts premiere stealth rocks user and is a necessary role for Golurk to play. In junction with No Guard Golurk automatically hits all moves 100% of the time and for this reason I would give Golurk Dynamic Punch -> Drain Punch as it has more Base Power, hits 100% of the time and can confuse the opponent which is great for any team. This also gives ghost types another check to threatening and Bulky steel, normal and dark type pokemon which can be troublesome for ghost. Stone Edge -> Ice Punch as they both hit the same things however Stone Edge can help against annoying Flying types such as Charizard and Mega Pidgeot while also taking advantage of No Guard -> Iron Fist as it makes all of Golurks moves includong Stone Edge hit with 100% accuracy. Focus Sash -> Choice Band as this almost guarantees that Golurk can lay hazards or get off an attack without worrying about feinting and overall making Golurk alot more usable as it can fill uts roles on the Ghost type better.

Instead if Froslass I thought the team could function better if you had access to a more defensive core while having access to a FWG core to help its coverage overall greatly increase. Trevanant -> Froslass as it is a great wall as it can easily be very annoying with the combination of Lum Berry + Rest + Harvest allows Trevanant to have access to very annoying and reliable recovery. This makes Trevanant a very bulky wall unable to be affected by status with reliable 12% a turn recovery. Trevanant now has 3 moves and has to decide whether you want to run an attack that can help the team take on Water types or whether to increase its walling capabilities by crippling the opponent with a Will-O-Wisp. Horn Leech completes the triad between itself, Chandelure and Jellicent gives it access to beat out water and Ground types more easily and adding even additional recovery from Leech Seed a turn. Will-O-Wisp further increases Trevanants ability to cripple physical attackers and tack on an additional 12% a turn with leech seed to make each opposing pokemon have little time on the field to have an affect. Also this move allows Trevanant not to be completely useless in the grass type matchup.

Honestly in the Balanced playstyle Jellicent -> Cofagrius in almost every way from recovery, defenses and overall more beneficial typing. Jellicent is a great Special Wall with access to recover, scald, toxic and acid armor in junction with Cursed Body can cripple opposing threats by one burning or poisoning them through Scald and Toxic, can setup its mediocre defenses into new heights with Acid Armor and stop threats from spamming the same move through its ability cursed body. This pokemon can stop any threat that allows it to setup Acid Armor on the Physical side and can overall be an annoying pokemon to take out. Not to mention Jellicent completes the FWG core with itself, Trevanant and Chandelure.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Golurk @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Trevenant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Rest
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech / Will-O-Wisp

Jellicent @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover

The monotype room on Pokemon Showdown is also friendly don't be afraid to ask for teambuilding help! They will help as much as they can to help you team build and test your teams. Also if you didnt catch FWG core is a FireWaterGrass Core. Good Luck with the new team. :)

Thanks a lot! If I'm swapping out Banette for the Chandelure, would M-Sableye be better than normal Sableye, or is the prankster more worth?

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Thanks a lot! If I'm swapping out Banette for the Chandelure, would M-Sableye be better than normal Sableye, or is the prankster more worth?
Mega Sableye is banned from Monotype in ORAS unfortunately!

maroon

free palestine
RMT & Mono Leader
Also I forgot to mention you can use Gourgeist-super over Trevanant as it has more physical bulk but not as much access to annoying recovery as Trevanant with Harvest Lum+ Rest. Anyways here is a Gourgiest set you could use instead!

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute / Protect
- Seed Bomb / Protect

Substitute makes Gourgiest-Super less susceptible to status meanwhile Protect can provide more passive recovery and draining the opponents health. You can use both Protect and Substitute -> Seed Bomb but this makes Gourgiest-Super very susceptible to common Taunt users such as Aerodactyl, Infernape, Cobalion and Sableye.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)