Project OU Theorymon

I submitted the Cofagrigus one like 3 months ago back when Hoopa-U wasn't as common as it was now, sooooo yeah it is kind of outdated. Regardless, I'll try to defend it (first post on this thread in a while).

The idea I had in mind when submitting it was as a blanket check to a ton of special attackers (and some physical ones). It checks/counters Mega Medicham, Mega Gardevoir, Lati@s, (Mega) Alakazam, (Mega) Scizor, Mega Metagross, Tornadus-T, Azumarill, and other Fighting-types not named Mega Lopunny. It's defensive stats are good enough to do all this and Recover lets it check them consistently. Some of these are actually pretty hard for stall to check, like Medicham, Gardevoir, and Tornadus-T, and Cofagrigus checks them all + more in one nice package AND brings utility. A sample moveset would be Hex, Will-o-Wisp, Toxic Spikes, and Recover. It spreads status easily and burns Darks and Grounds that can annoy it, and that's a big help for itself and its team with that utility.

People are arguing that it loses a big niche that it has right now - countering Mega Lopunny, as well as losing to Ground types now. But let's be realistic - stall has bigger problems to worry about than Mega Lopunny and Ground types, and Cofagrigus can fix some of these quite nicely.

e: also since when is regular Cofagrigus beating a Charizard X.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Liking these slates, but not lieing, Meloetta is selling it for me. The best thing about Meloetta is that we finally have...... a good priority special attack!! (And meh coverage in terrains but hey).

Im definately voting for this.

I really like the look of Electivire at first glance. Granted, my knowledge of the current metagame is based on a 3 second glance at the Viability Rankings, but I think I know how things should work...

Electivire can use that sexy ability Motor Drive to make Volt-Switching a liability for opposing teams. Looking at the Speed Tiers, a Jolly fully invested +1 Spe Elective hits ~475 Speed. This puts it above +1 Charizard-X. Adding the 120BP STAB to a 123 Base Atk means we know this guy can hit like a truck. Additionally, the coverage Electivire has is pretty awesome--he has physical BoltBeam coverage in Wild Charge/Ice Punch, and he gets Earthquake and Close Combat to smash things with. Looking at the usage statistics for last month, there aren't a whole lot of things that can beat a +1 Speed Electivire 1v1.

I think Electivire would excel as a cleaner. It's also worth noting that this guy single-handedly removes the SkarmBliss (Chansey) core and beats like half of the stuff you used to see on VenuTran stall (back when it was a thing. Is it still a thing?), so it also works as an anti-stall mon once you've removed Mega-Sableye (which I assume is the most popular variant of stall these days unless people caught on to Mega Scizor

Side Note: I'm glad to see this project still alive and running well after all this time. Way to keep it going guys! ^_^

(...)
And here is the new slate:

+ Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch

+ Prankster + Nature Power
+ Ghost/Steel typing + Recover
+ Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat

Have fun discussing the new slate!
Thanks! :D

But about New slates:

+ Poison/Fighting typing
+ Mach Punch

New Typing
: Just no. I don't like this idea... Why Poison type for him?
Psychic type is good in my opinion, also this doesn't make sence at all...

New Move: here I think is ok - He have priority in Shadow Sneak, but can't hit with stab priority Fighting move?

+ Prankster
+ Nature Power

I like this pokemon - I think this is my favorite legendary pokemon from all what actually exist.
But proposition for boost sounds... well... let's talk about them:

New Abillity: I'm not sure...
Yes - this pokemon gain great priority move in Tri Atack, also gain great priority for all status moves. That combination give great weapon against a lot of threats like fast sweapers wihout priority... But...
I'm not big fan of giving for every single pokemon over powered abillity... Thats makes pokemons battles much easier and faster...
But... in other hand this pokemon have a lot of new options against OU pokemons...

New Move: Well... move clearly for combo, but I think that's okay...

+ Ghost/Steel typing
+ Recover

New Typing: Great combination of typing, Steel is really powerfull type... But this pokemon have only one steel move: Iron Defense...
No Steel STAB for him...
AND he lose against special Fire and Ground moves... On physical side maybe he take one hit...
I like much more for him Ghost/Rock, Ghost/Poison or Ghost/Dark typing...
Sadly he doesn't have Stab Rock moves... Similar for Poison type (he have Toxic with perfect accuracy and Toxic Spikes, but no atakcing moves) so... Ghost/Dark have here more sence...
Or just safe hist Ghost type...

New Move: I agree! He need more healing option than just Pain-Split and Leftovers...

+ Electric/Fighting typing
+ Close Combat

New Typing: I agree. Now he gain really uniqe typing what perfectly fit on him.
He lose some defensive aspects - this pokemon gain two weaknes: Psychic and Fairy, also he lose protection from Flying type. In the same time he gain protection from Rock, Bug and Dark moves.
But this pokemon gain much more on offensive game: STAB Figthing moves, STAB Electric moves he still have, Ice/Fire Punch and Eathquake for coverage...
Still Electivire is to slow for being really OP, but... this boost definitly give for him more options...

New Move: I agree. Great move what he need for new type what he gain.

Just like to mention Electivire annihilates like half of all the Theorymon entries (2/3rds after a motor drive boost i'd say). Man Electivire is so cool, defs voting for it.
In particular, after +1 (speed) it OHKOs phys.def Xatu, OHKOs Mega Pidg, Mega Scept, Empoleon, Torterra, Goodra after prior damage, and does heaps to Moltres, doing 73.6 - 88% to phys.def variants, and i know Moltres doesn't run phys def (correct me if i'm wrong) so it should OHKO most of the time.
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 329-387 (86.3 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 385-455 (103.7 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Moltres: 400-476 (104.1 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 330-393 (98.8 - 117.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Torterra: 390-463 (98.9 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Close Combat vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 246-290 (76.1 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Earthquake vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 273-322 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I really like Electivire in this slate. His biggest problem outside of his mediocre speed is that he doesn't have any strong spammable STAB move to compliment his amazing coverage moves. (I believe Sheer Force Evire was a thing during XY Theorymon, which sounds pretty dope) The power difference between CC and Wild Charge is actually pretty big.

252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 185-218 (54.2 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 246-290 (72.1 - 85%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(fire type mew was used)

He's really scary with +1 speed after Motor Drive, so he also discourages your opponent from mindlessly clicking volt switch, although they put the hurt on him if he switches in on any coverage move not named HP Ice. CC, Wild Charge, and Ice Punch are probably mandatory for every Evire set, but he has a lot of options for the fourth move slot, along with a usable base 95 SpAtk stat. Volt Switch, Earthquake, Fire Punch/Flamethrower, Psychic (for mega venu, only does around 40% but it's better than nothing) HP Grass, Rock slide, and Taunt are all options he can use. Unfortunately just like almost every other electric type he's hard walled by Hippo, but only with the LO set. In fact, the only reliable switchins in OU are PhysDef Celebi, Hippo, Mega Venu, and Clefable (needs max defense), and he can do over 40% damage to all of them.

I think Choice Band has a ton of potential. Volt Switch helps keep momentum and wears down counters, and three of the mons I mentioned as counters straight up lose now on the switch.

252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 198-234 (47.1 - 55.7%) -- 76.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 156+ Def Celebi: 184-218 (45.5 - 53.9%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Electivire Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 186-220 (47.3 - 55.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

You could argue he's worse off defensively now but no one ever used Evire anyway, so that's kind of a moot point. His new typing does let him check Bisharp and Scizor now though, but his bad bulk makes switching in on any neutral hit almost impossible outside of uninvested special attacks.

95 base speed is slow (not too bad for a wallbreaker though), and the defense drops from CC makes revenge killing him really easy, so who knows how much this buff will help.

Personally I'm leaning toward Prankster Meloetta since a strong special priority user isn't a thing yet and OU already has a ton of wallbreakers (even more in theorymon lol), but I think Evire has a lot of potential and the flavor fits best imo.

Edit: Didn't mention this, but I guess Evire has the ability to go mixed or fully special since he gets Focus Blast and his special movepool is huge. Mons that can run a full physical set and a full special set are always dope.

Last edited:
It's been a while since the last activity, so let's start voting!

Mega Gallade + Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch
Meloetta + Prankster + Nature Power
Cofagrigus + Ghost/Steel typing + Recover
Electivire + Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat

And of course the honorable mentions list
- Infernape + Prankster
- Tornadus + Competitive
- Typhlosion + Drought
- Spiritomb + Dark Aura
- Mega Tyranitar + Sand Force
- Mega Garchomp + Weak Armor
- Electric / Dark Thundurus-T
- Miltank + Ground-type
- Mesprit + Download and Judgment
- Azelf + Fairy-typing (replaces Psychic-typing) and Mold Breaker
Please follow my formatting in order to make counting votes as easy as possible.
Honorable Mention: Miltank + Ground-type

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honorable Mention: Infernape + Prankster PLEASE

Last edited by a moderator:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Meloetta + Prankster and Nature Power
HM:
Infernape + Prankster

We all should vote for the same HM since thats the only way they will win. So lets vote for the only unbuffed Sinnoh Starter!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)