oh god how do i do this i am not good with computer

Our winner is:

Xatu + Steel/Flying typing + Flash Cannon

Voting breakdown:
Xatu + Steel/Flying typing + Flash Cannon: 12
Mega Glalie + Ice/Ground typing + Fake Out: 10
Doublade + Levitate: 7
Mismagius + Ghost/Fairy typing + Competitive: 2

None of the Honorable Mentions were voted in.

And here is the new slate:

+ Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch
+ Prankster + Nature Power
+ Ghost/Steel typing + Recover
+ Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat

Have fun discussing the new slate!

Ah Meloetta, This is one of my submissions from a while ago I believe. but either way let's go over the high points

Prankster nature power is a great combination giving priority Stab Triattack, giving it some of the Strongest Priority available, actually only slightly weaker than Talon Flame

252+ SpA Meloetta Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 144-169 (42.2 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 157-186 (46 - 54.5%) -- 54.3% chance to 2HKO

it also has some nice tools to use with Prankster, Thunder Wave, Heal bell, trick. it has some nice coverage, electric, ghost, grass, fighting, psyshock, Fairy, Bug.
it might even be able to pull off a Sleeping Fast Talk set.

(2º time posting on smogon, if there is something i did bad or wrong or something like that, please tell me :3)

I doubt the cofagrigus slate is gonna make him OU worthy, just because he shares the same defensive typing as doublade doesnt mean he is gonna make the cut, even with that flashy recover added.

I mean, cofagrigus stats are 1 base hp less than doublade and 5 less base defense, although it actually has spdef, doublade benefits from his eviolite. that gives him a enormous boost to his defenses, and if my calcs arent wrong, a fully invested spdef cofagrigus does not have that much advantaje over the same EV's with an eviolite doublade.

and whats more, cofagrigus offenses are... weak, you could try something like:

252 hp 252 def 4 spdef
-will-o-wisp
-recover
-hex/shadow ball
-¿calm mind?/whatever

but i doubt it would be better than a doublade, cause it deals more damage, has priority, and doesnt need to setup to do something...(on what could cofagrigus setup actually? its still VERY slow)
And if you want a trick room user, well, now he is cool and all with that recover so he doesnt die that easily but... its still very weak... although a defensive trickroom setter might work(i dont know, but the changes gave him a lot of useful resistances and heal, so...)

but it still has that knock off weakness, megacharizards everywhere, garchomps, landoruses... overall i think its very cool and fits him very well but... doesnt make the cut for OU in my opinion

(btw, how does one put damage calculations? where do i find one? im such a n00b :( )

Ghost/Steel Cofagrigus with Recover: I really want to like Ghost/Steel Cofagrigus, I really do. The problem, however, is that Ghost/Steel primarily counters things like M-Garde and Kyurem-B, both of which rarely let you capitalize on your ability. It does, however, make you far far weaker to the things you're normally meant to check, while also doing nothing about Cofag's pretty easily exploitable Dark/Knock Off/Pursuit weakness.

Things like Jolly Zard-X and Excadrill actually beat him 1v1 instead of you being able to wall them out via Recover and the like. Garchomp and Lando-T are everywhere, so at least in terms of meta-trends, it's gonna fall on its face. M-Lopunny also gets immense kill pressure on Cofag with HJK after some prior damage, where it would have otherwise failed to do very much at all.

The only reason Ghost/Steel works for Doublade, and in the distant past Aegislash, is because it can capitalize on that defensive strength. Priority backed by a workable offense stat (or outright insane in Aegi's case) lets them work as more than just a wall, whereas Cofagrigus has a dearth of presence outside of its body on the field.

It does gain a Toxic immunity, and can check a large variety of special attackers better, namely things like Latios and M-Garde. However, that ground weakness makes its stellar ability too risky to use consistently in any match.

I would have just made it Ghost/Dark, or just left it mono-Ghost, honestly.

Meloetta with Prankster + Nature Power: So, Prankster Tri-Attack, Thunder Wave and... Sing, I guess. I'll be honest, I think Tri Attack would be better with Serene Grace, seeing as it bumps it up to 40% of any of the 3 statuses (about 13.3% each). Considering how much people bitch about Scald, this would only rub salt in the wounds. Sing is 55 accuracy, so haha good luck landing that every 10th turn. T-Wave could potentially carve out a niche for it, but outside of zapping things like Volc and other obvious non-ground switch-ins, it doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

Don't know enough about the other two to give an opinion.

Last edited:
What does an honorable mention need to win? The way it is set up now seems to be flawed, as nothing is being added and nothing is winning. Consider changing it to percents instead of # of votes to remain consistent with the amount of people who are voting. (Electric/Dark Thundrus-T won 26% of the votes, which is more than Doublade. How is more than 1/4 not enough?)
To make this a little more productive, I'll talk about one of the submissions.
Prankster Nature Power Meloetta
Nature Power seems like it would be better with Serene Grace Meloetta. Since Meloetta already has Hyper Voice, which is more thematic and stronger, the boosted chances of status ailment with Serene Grace is all Meloetta had going for itself there. As for prankster, It isn't exactly ideal on Meloetta. Sure, Prankster Thunder Wave, Prankster Perish Song, and Prankster Heal Bell are great in a pinch, but it doesn't save Meloetta from its real flaw: lackluster typing and physical bulk. It does, however, make Meloetta great for emergency stopping a variety of sweepers. Still, other prankster users such as Thundurus and Klefki already do this job fine, so Meloetta isn't bringing a whole lot to the table.
These two buffs don't make sense together, and neither are enough on their own to do more than raise Meloetta one subrank.

Meloetta with Prankster + Nature Power: So, Prankster Tri-Attack, Thunder Wave and... Sing, I guess. I'll be honest, I think Tri Attack would be better with Serene Grace, seeing as it bumps it up to 40% of any of the 3 statuses (about 13.3% each). Considering how much people bitch about Scald, this would only rub salt in the wounds. Sing is 55 accuracy, so haha good luck landing that every 10th turn. T-Wave could potentially carve out a niche for it, but outside of zapping things like Volc and other obvious non-ground switch-ins, it doesn't have a whole lot going for it.

Don't know enough about the other two to give an opinion.
I dunno why people are talking about Prankster Thunder Wave and Nature Power like they're underwhelming. They make Meloetta a great setup check / revenge killer for teams that want something with more offensive presence than Klefki. Lemme just bs some sets:

Meloetta @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA or 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam
- Trick

Revenge killer that can handle Intimidates and physically bulky Pokemon. Shadow Ball is for Ghosts (and being able to touch Gengar would be nice, seeing as how Meloetta can tank its attacks). Focus Blast is for shit like Bisharp and Tyranitar, while Dazzling Gleam hits Mega Sableye. Tricking some Specs onto an errant Dragon Dancer can make switching in a resist that much easier, in the case that you can't just KO it with Specs Nature Power. It would also help break Stall if not for mega Sableye.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Nature Power
- Shadow Ball / Psyshock / Focus Blast

A Sub-CM user that doesn't have to worry about being outsped before it can get a Sub up. Psyshock lets it fuck up Chansey, which it sets up 101HP Substitutes on, while Shadow Ball is good neutral coverage, and Focus Blast hits Rock and Steel-types. Thunder Wave if you really want to pretend that Meloetta is Clefable.

Meloetta @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nature Power
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Hybrid revenge killer / setup check / cleric for those teams who REALLY need the role compression.

Basically, Prankster lets Meloetta glue together offensive teams with any of a number of useful roles.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While coffag has less raw bulk, Recover means its longevity is /much/ better than Doublade's. Add in its access to good supportive options in Wisp, Mummy and TSpikes and it becomes apparent that it is in general better than Doublade. The key drawback is that it loses its status as the best Lopunny answer, although with Ice Punch Lop getting less common (at least from what I've seen on the ladder; idk about raw stats tho 'cause mobile) due to what I'll assume is people finally realising just how crap it is when compared to the other options this is less of an issue as Lando-T can consistently fill this role.

Reactions: Vxy
Gallade + Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch
I don't understand the utility of changing its first type from Psychic to Poison to use STAB Poison Jab (even though Poison type MAY be situationally better than Psychic) and being immune to Toxic. I really like the addition of STAB priority Mach Punch which provides useful priority that makes sense to revenge kill something weakened to Mega Evolve safely without taking damage. Still, I don't appreciate this Gallade because I don't see what the Poison type really changes. It can be a better Toxicroak, but I don't like the first change. Now VenuTran core stops Gallade with these 2 "buffs".

Meloetta + Prankster + Nature Power
I really like this submission because it gives access to Prankster:
(1) (mainly) STAB Nature Power, Substitute, Calm Mind, Trick, Thunder Wave;
(2) Heal Bell, Gravity for support;
(3) (more gimmick options but, still, viable) Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Recycle (in this forum many loves lures with Natural Gift), Rest, Sleep Talk, Safeguard...
===> I'll vote Meloetta because this is the most creative, competitive -and fun- concept seen in a long time.
The only downside is that Meloetta can never be used effectively as an AV user because AV is counterproductive on a monster with Prankster.

This is Whimsicott 2.0 with higher numerical stats and higher offences.

Cofagrigus + Ghost/Steel typing + Recover
The Steel typing is a blessing almost for everybody, including Cofagrigus which now has even the -sloooow- reliable Recover. The immunity to Toxic is also nice, but being weak to Knock Off spam and so slow means you are pressured to recover health very often. In my opinion is still too passive.

Electivire + Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat
Really nice submission: a monsters which likes switching into Volt Switches (but beware WoW from Rotom) and a Fighting type + CC to properly make use of it. Not to mention the fact Electric / Fighting is a new combination which perfectly fits in terms of flavour. It has almost no 4MMS: the two STABS including CC, dedicated Flamethrower for Steels too strong on the physical side or the classic Earthquake and Ice Punch for annoying Dragons/Grounds. It can go both physical, mixed or special.
I might even vote for it, but I'd like to see some reasoning behind this nomination.

Last edited:
Gallade + Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch I don't like it : You trade a useful Psychic Stab (Venusaur, Gengar, Fighting type) for a Stabbed Poison Jab for Fairies ? Defensively, well it's better but Gallade is mainly an offensive Pokemon. Need more details here

Meloetta + Prankster + Nature Power : Very interesting, I like it !

Cofagrigus + Ghost/Steel typing + Recover : Makes sense and being immune to Toxic is really useful for a defensive Pokemon. But it's not the sexiest nomination

Electivire + Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat
Makes also sense ... But I don't know if Electivire will be more useful : the problem is his middle speed and with a scarf, he lacks some power ... But still interesting if it manages to Motor Drive

+ Poison/Fighting typing + Mach Punch

I really want to like this. I really do. I'm all up for Mach Punch, and I think, honestly that's enough to make this OU. But, the secondary poison typing... I don't know. Trading a good typing for a better one is OK, but how on earth is that thing incredibly weak to psychic powers? I would prefer this if it was just Mach Punch. Also; it is now the best Togekiss counter out there.

+ Prankster + Nature Power
K, Meloetta. Most people have covered this already, and it has nice things like Prankster for its big support movepool. The thing with Nature Power is that it is practically ESpeed for the special, with a 30% chance to status the opponent. Do you know the Liepard Copycat Dark Pulse gimmick? This is like that, except better.
The only thing I don't really like about this is that the second addition builds off the first- unless it is STAB for a new typing, I don't like that. I think the second thing should build off of something it already has.

More on the others later.

Cofagrigus + Ghost/Steel typing + Recover:
I am in agreement with sweaty cowboy, recover is definitely nice but the added steel typing seems like a downgrade to me. Steel gives it weaknesses to fire and ground which are very common attacking types (*cough* Entei *cough* Landorus-T), making it harder to check the physical threats it was originally intended to, and now Mega Lopunny shits on it somewhat, everything seems backwards lol
Ghost/Dark is nice but honestly mono-ghost is the most appealing to me, since although ghost/dark makes you neutral to knock off, you gain a weakness in fairy (can't counter Azumarill as reliably) and neutrality to u-turn AND Lopunny still checks you (which imo is one of Cofagrigus's biggest niches - countering megalop). Sure ghost/steel makes you a better check to special attackers and immune to toxic but i don't think the trade-off is worth it. Plus Cofagrigus learns literally no steel moves so it can't abuse it's new typing to hit fairy types.

I doubt i have the right to ask this, but maybe you could change the slate to just add recover? Or maybe recover + another move?

Electivire + Electric/Fighting typing + Close Combat:
Oooh i like this one. The new fighting typing gives a SR resistance (great for a volt-switcher) and close combat to smack things around hard. But wait, what does this have over other fighting types like, say, Terrakion? Well motor drive is one cool niche it has, making it a great switch-in to opposing electric types like Raikou and prankster thunderwaves. The electric typing itself is cool giving it STAB to murder Skarmory and bulky waters with, and access to volt switch make it a much more potent scarfer than other fighting-types.
In fact Electivire has the coverage to destroy a lot of bulky Pokemon:
Close Combat: Tran, tar, ferro, chans, hoopa, kyub, megalop and serp (with scarf)
Wild charge/thunderbolt: Skarm, alomo, slowbro, starmie, azu, torn-t, keld, manaphy
Flamethrower: ferro, sciz, jirachi, megagross, basically any other steel type
Earthquake: tran, rachi, megagross, klefki, tini, zard-x
Ice Punch: nite, chomp, lando, etc
Psychic: Mega Venusaur (i mean if venu troubles your team then why not)
Signal beam: Mew, Celebi

Of course there are still downsides, it's stats are somewhat mediocre. Elecs defense is lame, it's speed is just short of the base 100 bench mark, it's attacking stats - although not bad necessarily bad - are low enough that it will miss out on crucial OHKOs and 2HKOs here and there.

Last edited:
(2º time posting on smogon, if there is something i did bad or wrong or something like that, please tell me :3)

I doubt the cofagrigus slate is gonna make him OU worthy, just because he shares the same defensive typing as doublade doesnt mean he is gonna make the cut, even with that flashy recover added.

I mean, cofagrigus stats are 1 base hp less than doublade and 5 less base defense, although it actually has spdef, doublade benefits from his eviolite. that gives him a enormous boost to his defenses, and if my calcs arent wrong, a fully invested spdef cofagrigus does not have that much advantaje over the same EV's with an eviolite doublade.

and whats more, cofagrigus offenses are... weak, you could try something like:

252 hp 252 def 4 spdef
-will-o-wisp
-recover
-hex/shadow ball
-¿calm mind?/whatever

but i doubt it would be better than a doublade, cause it deals more damage, has priority, and doesnt need to setup to do something...(on what could cofagrigus setup actually? its still VERY slow)
And if you want a trick room user, well, now he is cool and all with that recover so he doesnt die that easily but... its still very weak... although a defensive trickroom setter might work(i dont know, but the changes gave him a lot of useful resistances and heal, so...)

but it still has that knock off weakness, megacharizards everywhere, garchomps, landoruses... overall i think its very cool and fits him very well but... doesnt make the cut for OU in my opinion

(btw, how does one put damage calculations? where do i find one? im such a n00b :( )
https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
^^this is where everyone gets their damage calculations from, when they've calculated the result they will copy+paste the damage calc to wherever. It may seem a little complex at first but don't worry you'll catch on real quick. Have fun :3

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Honestly Gallade would be better if it also got Gunk Shot as well as the poison typing, although even then it'd be kinda debatable. ATM it just feels kinda out of place and not really much of an upgrade, as it is still hard-walled by Mega Sableye. Not all that keen tbh. I think something like Fight/Fairy+Pixilate or Psy/Fairy+Pixilate would have been better and more thematic, but that's just me.

Waziooi how is gallade a togekiss counter? Sure it doesn't flinch, but it's weak to air slash...

Council, can we now change primary type?

Gallades typing is nice, since annoying suckerpunches won't be an issue, but I don't think Mach punch Adda anything. You are still going to use close combat, so doubling up on fighting coverages mean you're remaining moves are poison jab and likely knockoff. While MP gets stab, I think it hits less useful things than the shadow sneak it replaces.

Electivire is still a paper towel, so I don't know what this change let's it do differently. Too slow and, and while cc hits hard, you are going to be forced out right away.

Coff is pretty cool, since recovery was its biggest flaw. It now checks a crap load of things, but must unfortunate run lots of def to mess with mega lop.

Meloetta is nice but remember, always Say NO to strong priority

Council, can we now change primary type?
Felt like I should answer this, so apologies in advance for the shortish post.
In the old thread, there was a rule where you couldn't do this, but as long as the flavor isn't insanely out there, then I personally have no issue with it. Just don't go too crazy. If this rule is still in the OP I'll remove it. (Normally flavor isn't a huge issue but when changing primary typing I feel it's a bit more important)

https://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/
^^this is where everyone gets their damage calculations from, when they've calculated the result they will copy+paste the damage calc to wherever. It may seem a little complex at first but don't worry you'll catch on real quick. Have fun :3
oh my thank you very much :3

by the way (and this is not a way to camouflage my post so it doesnt just say thanks...) i have to say i really like that mega gallede now, altough it seems a bit weird that a pokemon from a psychic evolution line suddenly gets x4 weak to said type...

I dunno flavor but that priority is very welcomed, since shadow sneak is meh without stab or a superefective hit... but right now i cant think of a situation where u actually need to click on mach punch over close combat, since gallede is relatively fast and in today's metagame there arent that much fight-weak pokemon... but in case u had to use priority i think its better to have some damage and stab on that priority

Last edited:
ok let's talk Electivire

So this bad boy was hyped up beyond belief in DPP, thanks to a godlike four move coverage that managed to hit most types super effectively, as well as a unique ability that, on paper, gave it nice synergy with a lot of electric weak Pokemon, which led to the infamous GyaraVire core. Of course once people started using it it's flaws became pretty obvious, namely the fact that it had no STAB move on it's higher offensive stat, which led it to the issue where it could hit something super effectively but didn't actually do much damage to it. A mediocre speed tier and average bulk weren't selling it either. Flash forward to now, and Electivire has only really gained a slightly better physical STAB in Wild Charge. The introduction of Team Preview also hurt it, since now everyone can see Electivire switching into Electric moves from a mile away, making it a lot harder to take advantage of Motor Drive.

Adding Fighting type to Electivire gives it something it's been wishing for since it's conception: raw power. LO Electivire's Close Combat nearly matches the power of Terrakion's, and this allows it to focus it's incredible coverage around it's source of power. Wild Charge now makes for an excellent secondary STAB, being able to threaten Azumarill, Slowbro, Clefable, Skarmory, and Mew. Ice Punch is the perfect complementary move, being able to heavily damage things that would wall Electivire's STABs, namely Landorus-T, Garchomp, Latias, Altaria, and the like. And again, Electivire's coverage movepool is huge, so you can freely customize it with whatever kind of coverage your team might appreciate, including Flamethrower, Iron Tail, Earthquake, Psychic, Rock Slide, and of course Hidden Power Grass. It also has access to things such as Volt Switch, Taunt, Power Up Punch, and of course Thunder Wave, so there's a fair amount of flexibility here. Speaking of Thunder Wave, maybe Electivire's presence on your team will stop your opponent from spamming it against you and haxing you to death. Or maybe it won't, but it's something for them to (not) think about before they click the button.

If gallade becomes Fairy/Fighting, it might being interesting instead of Poison/Fighting :) and it makes sense gameplay wise
Someone on the council can confirm, but these slates are considered final, and discussion should revolve around the theorymon as a they are, not as you hope them to be. (Maybe submit fairy/fighting gallade, next time!) The few instances the slate has been modified was due to a Pokemon being blatantly OP.

Mods go ahead and delete this pair of posts if you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)