ORAS Teambuilding Frameworks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
DKATS
Diancie, Keldeo, Amoonguss, Talonflame, Steel

I know this similar to one of the previously mentioned teams, but this core is just a more flexible framework for building your own Diancie team.

Starting with Talonflame

Most people will agree, just see other Diance teams in this thread, that Talon is the best fire partner for Diance. Talonflame removes grass and steel types, two of the biggest threats to Diancie. Also it can run Taunt to stop trick room.

Amoonguss adds the ability to status, which no one else on this core does unless you run Will-o-Wisp Talon which I dont recommend here because you have Keldeo. Amoongus can check Lando-T with spore, a big threat to both Diance and Talonflame. Redirection is also extremely helpful to all your teammates. Additionally it does well against rain teams and trick room teams.

Keldeo adds another Lando-T and Kang check. It also does well versus steel types.

Steel adds an important Fairy counter and a more important Rain check. Bisharp and Aegislash are the best options in my opinion. Bisharp scares Lando-T from switching in, adds an excellent priority moves and hits trick room setters hard with knock-off. Aegislash also checks Lando-T with wide guard and hits trick room setters hard with Shadow Ball. Jirachi is the 3rd option; a second form of redirection can benefit Diancie now especially since offensive Thundys may wear goggles to get around Amoongus and hit Diancie with the Flash Cannon. Genesect can also check Lando-T with scarf Ice Beam.

6th mon

In my opinion for a 6th option you should run a ground immune; if not then change Keldeo to Rotom-Wash. The 6th mon should also do heavy damage to Ammongus. Also I prefer a scarf user to match Lando-T and beat Steel Wing Talon.

Last edited:
the hanging tree :] (Mega Venusaur Framework)

Ray Majore's Mega Venusaur (I decided to include my team; importable below)

Arcticblast's Mega Venusaur

BLOOD TOTEM's Mega Venusaur

Hashtag's Mega Venusaur

Jhon's Mega Venusaur

PERSONAL NOTES

Alright so this might not seem as normal as you would possibly think. Normally there would be more successful and well-known teams to be posted in the thread, but for this particular framework, there have been little to a few that I could find under "successful", and I do not want to actually get older teams because they're outdated imo. I decided to get most of these teams from Week 3 of Teambuilding Competition, which is like one of the best threads in the DOU section. There are a few exclusions though, with my team here and a team that BLOOD TOTEM used for SPL 7 (I didn't really know all his sets, but it's a good example to be shown here). Please excuse me for any mistakes that I might've done.

Venusaur (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 72 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpD / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Wide Guard
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- King's Shield

Gyarados (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Protect

OVERVIEW
The Mega Venusaur framework follows a few fixed principles, with most teams having particularly same cores in each of these Mega Venusaur teams. Normally, the basic formula for a good Venusaur team, as observed in these teams, is including things to check and/or defeat Mega Kangaskhan, steel types and birds, as well as speed control to compliment with Mega Venusaur both offensively and defensively. As you read this framework further, you'll notice that the framework is flexible, with every slot except Mega Venu giving you different options on which Pokemon to choose.

SLOT 1: Mega Venusaur
With a Grass/Poison typing along with a respectable move pool and Thick Fat, it is a great counter to Rain and a lot of water Pokemon, a decent counter to most fairies and Kangaskhan as well. It has really good match-ups versus most things, and it's not difficult to find a good time switching this thing in.
4/5 teams use a standard Mega Venusaur set, with 1 team using Sleep Powder > Leech Seed (BLOOD TOTEM's)

Hashtag's Mega Venusaur uses a mono attacking set with Amnesia + Leech Seed + Synthesis.

SLOTS 2 and 3: Flying/Steel type Killer and Primary Kangaskhan Check/Killer
These 2 slots are mostly dedicated to taking apart the things that a Mega Venusaur may not want to face: a +2 Mega Kangaskhan, steel types and flying types. They all have one thing in common: the use of an EQ immune, which also helps in alleviating a few weaknesses to opposing Landorus-T. These slots have a fighting type and something with fighting coverage as well to get rid of Kangaskhan.
All teams use Landorus-T. There's not a better choice other than Lando, simply because it has spread moves, skillhax, Intimidate and can reliably wear a scarf, with the exception of BLOOD TOTEM's.

4/5 teams use Terrakion for a simple and solid reason: It eliminates fastbird, sunbird and Mega Kangaskhan all-in-one slot. The 5th team used Scrafty because it's Semi-Trick Room. It provides more Intimidate as well.

SLOT 4: Speed Control and/or Sun Check
Every Mega Venusaur team would still appreciate additional Pokemon that would work well against a Sun match-up. They would also appreciate neat speed control if in case they don't use this slot as a steady Sun check. An important note for this position is how teams with Rotom-H are paired up with more dedicated speed control Pokemon.
3/5 teams use Tailwind, which nicely works with the teams that use this particular move.
2/3 teams are using Talonflame for Tailwind, while Hashtag opted for Lefties Suicune with Snarl.
Jhon uses Gothitelle to help obtain good match-ups both under TR and outside of it through Shadow Tag. It sets Trick Room as well.

While this particular slot in my team doesn't use any temporary speed boosting move, I opted for Lum Berry Moxie Gyarados to act as a sweeper and a sleep ignorant Pokemon with Lum Berry.

SLOT 5: Trick Room Check/Bulky Water Check
This slot would go to either a TR check or a check to a bulky water such as Rotom-Wash and Suicune. Pokemon in this slot may vary, depending on player preferences.
2/5 teams use a dragon type to act as bulky water switch-ins. Arcticblast chose Kyurem-Black to form a bulky offense core of Kyub + Moving Tree + Rock Fighter. On the other hand, BLOOD TOTEM used Hydreigon, which also helps stop most TR setters.

As a potential TR stopper, I went for Jirachi, acting as a fairy resist, redirector, skillhaxer and speed control.

Hashtag opted using Darkrai not only as a TR stopper, but also as something that can cripple physical attackers. Thunderbolt coverage allows it to beat Keldeo and Talonflame.

Jhon made an interesting option by using CM Sylveon, which acts as a substitute for Cresselia as a CM sweeper with additional coverage in HP Ground.

SLOT 6: Fairy Resist and Mega Kangaskhan Check
The last thing that this slot offers is an additional check to fairies and Mega Kangaskhan. All Pokemon in this slot are able to counter Mega Gardevoir as well. Not a lot needed to say here.
2/3 teams use Aegislash, both of which offer Wide Guard support and can beat TR setters as well. However, I use German Aegi while Arcticblast opted for Weakness Policy with Flash Cannon.

BLOOD TOTEM added more speed control in Jirachi;

While the last 2 teams both have Rotom-H to add as another reliable sun check to those teams. The difference is that Hashtag went for Reflect Rotom-H with Volt Switch, while Jhon went for Trick-Specs Rotom-H.

sorry for the fact I included my team :]
EDIT: Thanks checkmater75 for the revision!

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't like having to put filler on a framework, so I tried to flesh this out to get rid of that
Ray Majore's Mega Venusaur

Hashtag's Mega Venusaur

Jhon's Mega Venusaur

1: Mega Venu

2: Kang Check, Fires Check

3: Kang Check, Steels check, Fires check, Intimidate

4: Speed Control and Sun Check. Teams that have Rotom-Heat opt for more speed-control dedicated users

5: Trick Room Check / Bulky Waters Check that don't lose to Talonflame (Otherwise you just click x vs talon+rotom-wash, or talon+suicune)

6: Fairy Resist, Kangaskhan check, Gardevoir-Mega counter. Teams that already have a sufficient sun check in their 4th slot opt for Steels rather than Rotom-Heat

I don't like having to put filler on a framework, so I tried to flesh this out to get rid of that
Ray Majore's Mega Venusaur

Hashtag's Mega Venusaur

Jhon's Mega Venusaur

1: Mega Venu

2: Kang Check, Fires Check

3: Kang Check, Steels check, Fires check, Intimidate

4: Speed Control and Sun Check. Teams that have Rotom-Heat opt for more speed-control dedicated users

5: Trick Room Check / Bulky Waters Check that don't lose to Talonflame (Otherwise you just click x vs talon+rotom-wash, or talon+suicune)

6: Fairy Resist, Kangaskhan check, Gardevoir-Mega counter. Teams that already have a sufficient sun check in their 4th slot opt for Steels rather than Rotom-Heat
Not bad :)

Volcarona Framework (WIP)
i got lazy at the end. sry. also, if anyone has a volc team that they used to at least mild success, tell me about it and stuff, cuz three teams isnt very many
qsns' Volcarona

Arcticblast's Volcarona

Heliosan's Volcarona

Finally's Volcarona

Slot One: Fuckin Volcarona, what did you expect? These are all Quiver Dance Volcarona by the way; building around support volc is kinda dumb tbh. The standard set is Heat Wave/Giga Drain/Quiver Dance/Protect, but you can run Flamethrower or Fiery Dance over Heat Wave and Bug Buzz over Giga Drain if you really want. A bulky set with Roost over Protect or Giga Drain sounds somewhat plausible, but would need a lot more support, and overall sounds like a bad idea.

Slot Two: Rock-Type. These are here to beat Talonflame, Charizard-Y, and Thundurus (though to a lesser extent in the case of Mega Aerodactyl) of the mons mentioned, Talonflame and Thundurus are especially important to get rid of to have a successful Volcarona sweep. In addition, these mons have good matchups against Heatran unless someone's running the lord set Flash Cannon Heatran. Though I only found teams with Mega Diancie or Mega Aerodactyl here, non-Mega Rock-Types like Quick Guard Terrakion and Eviolite Rhydon would likely be decent picks as well.

Slot Three: Lando-T check. Lando-T threatens Volcarona+Rock, so you gotta have them checks. Lando-T is only an ok Lando check, so the teams that use it use (presumably, I haven't actually checked) Wide Guard Aegislash to stop Rock Slides and the like. In addition, this slot checks Heatran, which Volcarona don't like. Also these all check Kangaskhan, which is a good mon to have checks for. Gee, Keldeo is a good fucking mon.

Slot Four: Electric-type. This is another Talonflame check, which is always handy, as well as a Mega Diancie check and water check, which give Volcarona + Rock-Type problems. I mean bulky waters aren't too bad, cuz most Volcarona run Giga Drain, but its good to have. Finally was pretty covered for Talonflame with Quick Guard Keldeo, so he opted for Deoxys Attack here to outspeed and OHKO Landorus-T with Ice Beam. In addition, Deoxys can pick off weakened Talonflames with Extreme Speed.

Slot Five: Bulky Steel. Steels are good. Also Kang checks. Aegis is only ok at this, but still. It's also interesting to note that the Steels picked don't have a particularly terrible Lando match up, which most of the other steels in the tier do.

Slot Six: Tr Czech. Hydreigon and Scrafty have Dark-Type attacks, and Scrafty has Fake Out as well. Jirachi can fish for flinches with Iron Head, which is especially annoying if you're rock sliding with aero at the same time.

edit:
[23:27] +Nido-Rus: my volc team was volc/diancie/washtom/jirachi/geng/hydrei
[23:27] +Nido-Rus: which also somewhat fits in but combines lando check+electric

^ill add that one later

edit 2: if i ever get around to it lellers

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
here's another good QD volcarona team:
pwne baby (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

pwne DIAMONDS (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

pwne is a horse (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

wepwnpokemon (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

pwne in bed 2 (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

pwne in bed (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Detect

And I guess this one too lmao
Volcarona @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Electivire @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 48 SpA / 92 SpD / 52 Spe
Timid Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunder Wave
- Encore
- Sucker Punch

here's another good QD volcarona team:
pwne baby (Volcarona) @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Protect

pwne DIAMONDS (Diancie) @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

pwne is a horse (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

wepwnpokemon (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

pwne in bed 2 (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

pwne in bed (Deoxys-Attack) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed
- Detect

And I guess this one too lmao
Volcarona @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Electivire @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 48 SpA / 92 SpD / 52 Spe
Timid Nature
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Liepard @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunder Wave
- Encore
- Sucker Punch
lol i'll add flan's. not so sure about helping hand electavire

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
do you think you could add onto slots 2-4 as "heatran checks"? I find volc often has issues with heatran that should probably be rehashed in an analysis

I'll add the Mvenu framework but I am hesistant to add the volcarona FW because from what I've seen the teams are unsuccessful or I haven't seen them. If any of these teams (or any number of volcarona squads) come over the top in performance then I'll revisit but Qsns's team lost, Arcticblast's team won but it was pretty close with some important hax involved (they also each were only used in one game). Finally and Heliosan are (as far as I'm aware) not involved in any tournaments atm.

I'll add the Mvenu framework but I am hesistant to add the volcarona FW because from what I've seen the teams are unsuccessful or I haven't seen them. If any of these teams (or any number of volcarona squads) come over the top in performance then I'll revisit but Qsns's team lost, Arcticblast's team won but it was pretty close with some important hax involved (they also each were only used in one game). Finally and Heliosan are (as far as I'm aware) not involved in any tournaments atm.
thats all true, but i figured id do it anyways cuz volc teams are pretty formulaic, and its plausible one could do well in spl or whatever

This should probably be updated, as just about every good diancie team has Jirachi right?

Edit: Kami pointed out that this is misleading

Other redirection options are also viable picks alongside Diancie such as Magmar, or Amoonguss

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Diancie doesn't really need redirection... it has no form of setup aside from kind of saying that it has to protect turn 1, which it wouldn't should there be a redirector present. Diancie + Rachi is good, yes, but it's not really meta-defining or necessary for any good Mega Diancie team.

My thought isn't that Mega-Diancie can't function without redirection, but that without redirection the full potential of the pokemon isn't taken advantage of. I generally think that a Diancie team with redirection is gonna perform better than without.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Okay then let me phrase this is in a different way - Mega Diancie doesn't appreciate redirection any more than other non-supportive mons in this meta. In fact, in many ways, it needs redirection *less* because it has Magic Bounce. What does Jirachi do specifically to aid Mega Diancie? Have decent synergy? It doesn't outright beat things itself and is usually worn down fairly quickly because it commonly carries Goggles, so while I would agree that it seems strange there is no Jirachi on any of the Mega Diancie framework teams, I wouldn't say that it's a problem or misrepresentative of the meta.

There's obviously some flaw in their typing that hinders their ability to support each other, that being that they're both weak to the ever-prevalent ground type attacks. Jirachi covers 3/4 of Diancie's weaknesses, and due to its natural bulk it tanks water just fine as well. With icy wind Jirachi can assist in taking control of a situation that could include Landorus-Therian on the opposing team, even though both pokemon are weak to ground. One thing that could be acknowledged is that most spread moves will still hit Diancie pretty hard, but each pokemon has options to compliment each others weaknesses in that area(excluding against rain). Earth Power from Diancie easily OHKOs Heatran, while not powerful Ironhead hits for supereffective damage on both Sylveon, and Gardevoir which will usually put them in range for a KO from Diancie's Diamond Storm, lastly when fighting against a sun team Diancie + Jirachi very easily deals with Charizard-Y + Venusaur, as Venusaur can't really do much at all to Jirachi unless it's running a less than common set, and Diancie can easily OHKO Charizard before it gets the chance to deal damage to Jirachi.

I think the point is that the framework should reflect the current meta, so a jirachi addition would make sense. I'm hesitant to say that though with a possible jirachi suspect on the way, since that would make it a possible waste of time and energy. Honestly I think people already know that jirachi would be an option for your steel type, so it isn't particularly a necessity.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Diancie appreciates the redirection because it's weak to a good number of types and isn't bulky. No more no less. Jirachi, despite not having particularly good type synergy, is still a great partner for Diancie because it helps stop things that outrun and threaten Diancie like Venu in Sun, Ludi in Rain, Deoxys-A, Steel Wing Talonflame etc...

It's also in general the best redirector for the job because you may have noticed Venu in Sun and Ludi in Rain are both Grass types. So is opposing Amoonguss. And opposing Ferrothorn. None of these get stopped by Rage Powder. Follow Me is needed for that part of the niche.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor

BUNNY FRAMEWORK

Checkmater's Mega Gengar Bunny Hyper Offense

Braverius' Kangaskhan Bunny

TheTalkingTree's Charizard X Bunny

Laga's Semi-Room Hail Bunny

Yoda2798's Full TR Bunny

Slot 1 - A cute bunny.

Slots 2 - Fire Type. Fire types act as blanket checks to many of the things that Azumarill can struggle against. A check to Grass, Steel, and Fairy types is vital to aid Azumarill in pulling off an easier time setting up. Opposing Charizard Y is also very threatening to Azumarill as it both halves Aqua Jet damage and lives a +5 Aqua Jet, so these fire types also function as Sun checks prevent this matchup from being a huge problem.

Slot 3 - Secondary Grass-types / Amoonguss check. Grass Types restrict Amoonguss and directly threaten it from setting up, but thankfully most are easily checked or slow enough that a partnered Fire type can actively prevent this from being a problem.

Slot 4 - Water Resist / Bulky Waters check. Also functions as a Rain check. While it may seem that Azumarill should beat opposing Rain, it will often struggle to find the right time to come in, as even a resisted Hydro Pump severely hurts its sweeping capabilities. Bulky Waters such as Volcanion and Rotom-Wash can also be troublesome for Azumarill, requiring dedicated checks to beat.

Slot 5 - Thundurus / Talonflame check. In most cases this also serves as a Kangaskhan check, or something that comfortably switches into a Kangaskhan Fake Out. While it can be difficult to find proper Talonflame checks that work well with Azumarill all teams sport some kind of damper / inhibition to opposing Talonflames. In the case of Terrakion, it provides Quick Guard and threatens to KO Talonflame with Rock Slide. LandoT brings intimidate and a threatened KO, while Porygon finds Talonflame an easy target to setup Trick Room on while also being able to KO Talonflame with Thunderbolt. Pokemon in this slot generally deal with opposing Thundurus pretty well (especially offensive Thundurus variants).

Slot 6 - 3rd or 4th Kangaskhan check. Mega Kangaskhan is a huge problem for our bunny friend as Kangaskhan threatens to both restrict its maneuverability with Fake Out while also threatening to break it out of Belly Drum range with a Return. While most teams already feature at least 2 Kangaskhan checks, the more the better. Jolly Kangaskhan and Bulky Low Kick Kangaskhan (Braverius' and Yoda's teams respectively) both function as soft checks whereas Keldeo and Mega Gengar are excellent hard stops to Kangaskhan. Jirachi finds it easy to switch into and redirect all of opposing Kangaskhans' attacks.

Interestingly enough I didn't find myself writing "Heatran check" or "Trick Room check" or "Landorus-Therian check" as Azumarill is phenomenal at setting up and destroying against these threats, nullifying the need to cover them with other team members.

A general Azumarill teambuilding checklist includes the following (outside the standard range of threats):

2 Amoonguss/Grass types Checks
1 Rain Check
1 Bulky Steels Check
3 Kangaskhan Checks (Intimidate, Burns, or team members that directly threaten to OHKO Kangaskhan)
1 or more Talonflame checks
At most 1 team member that is OHKOd by Talonflame OR multiple mons that are OHKOd by Talonflame but featuring some form of a Talonflame counter (Laga's team has Rotom-Heat)
At least 1 form of utility that aids in setting up Belly Drum (Fake Out or Redirection)

Some similarities between compositions:

All teams have fire types
All teams have steel types (great synergy with Azumarill's threat coverage and typing)
All teams have redirection, except for Yoda's Full TR
All teams have priority of some form
Every team except for the one with Amoonguss has some kind of speed control. This can be greatly beneficial against more offensive teams and give not-quite-as-offensive Azumarill teams room to breathe

tagging:
Braverius
thetalkingtree
Yoda2798
Laga

Also some background on the teams:
Gengar HO was built by me and used in DPL week 2
Braverius' team was used SPL week 1
TheTalkingTree's team was submitted to team comp and won. Also used in ssnl I think
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-doublesou-124070
Yoda's team has NOT been used competitively at a high level (late ssnl, dpl, spl) to success, but has been used a lot in testing. If higher-level usage is preferred it could be replaced with Fangame's Ampharos TR team but that's rather old and I'm not sure if Fangame is still active to participate in discussion
Laga's team has been used a lot in all kinds of contexts by multiple players. See teambuilding comp for importable.

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
I definitely want feedback on the teams used in this framework: in particular Yoda's and Tree's are probably the most objectionable as I can't really find replays of them succeeding on a higher level. On the other hand I definitely wanted megas other than Kangaskhan/Gengar but was very hesitant to put sunny bunny (char y bunny) in-even though it does have pretty good ssnl records-... I've stopped using the team and I feel meh about it ever since it lost so..

I was equally hesitant to put your Char X team into the framework because it was so focused around cheese and used rather unorthodox sets that I felt would be difficult both to grasp from just seeing 6 sprites and for new players.

Anyways I was thinking of replacing yoda's team with Fangame's Azu tr team, or replacing it with a team I built with @Magunda or Kyle Ayala (I don't remember which was his smogon username) of chand azu jirachi kangaskhan conkeldurr special lando

The framework could also easily be just 3 teams: they cover the extent of possibility with Azu pretty well while also presenting high-level teams that have been used to success that are easy to grasp the build process behind.

ALSO WHILE IM AT IT MEGA VENU FRAMEWORK NEVER GOT ADDED TO THE OP

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
Well mine worked especially well when my opponents ran Porygon2 that was slower than it, might be worth noting.

Honestly though that team of mine is probably at the noobstomp level of a poor bunnies user. It requires a bit more thinking, but it's very read-and-react and pretty much epitomizes how I play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)