Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

in all seriousness though. Last night on showdown a dragonite who was not scarfed outsped my scarfed max speed garchomp when there wasn't sticky web on the field... HOW? it was using outrage

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
in all seriousness though. Last night on showdown a dragonite who was not scarfed outsped my scarfed max speed garchomp when there wasn't sticky web on the field... HOW? it was using outrage
If it set up dragon dances beforehand that explains it. Are you sure it was unboosted?

Tailwind was active?
Garchomp wasn't EV-ed correctly?
You clicked on Dragon Tail?
It set up Dragon Dances and you didn't pay attention?

at the very most it was at +1 speed, but I did go for an adamant nature rather then jolly. Garchomp was invested fully in speed and attack and 4 HP

I'm back to the bussines after a while and I have one question.

Can sombody explain to me why every team on the ladder is so disgustinly fat?

Hoopa Unbound's banning (it took a massive dump on fatter teams) and the introduction of Volcanion, which both fits well on and is best taken on by balance.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
For questions like these, it'd serve you well to save the replay, because there isn't any context for us to help deduce the issue.

This is just an assumption of mine, but some ladderers favor fat teams since they can better rebound from mistakes / misplays. Of course, I can't speak for everyone since there are about just as many players that like faster teams which close out games quicker; you probably have just been consecutively finding matchups / spectating games where bulky teams are present.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Its just because of the nature of the ladder. You naturally get fatter teams just on the basis that they are the most low-risk type of playstyle to run and are, as such, good for laddering with.

I personally like bulky Balance teams. So one reason might be preference. Another reason might be to deal with major offensive threats. I bet when sun and moon comes out things will balance out

While most of the mons changing tiers was expected (people spamming Stall making Quaggy and Amoonguss to OU), what made Zapdos rise to OU? It seems to not have had much presence in the meta. Yes, I know it is a Defog user that can beat Bisharp while checking stuff like Scizor and Torn-T but it seems strapped for moveslots to me. Plus, unless I'm missing anything, there's no trend in the meta which benefits it.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While most of the mons changing tiers was expected (people spamming Stall making Quaggy and Amoonguss to OU), what made Zapdos rise to OU? It seems to not have had much presence in the meta. Yes, I know it is a Defog user that can beat Bisharp while checking stuff like Scizor and Torn-T but it seems strapped for moveslots to me. Plus, unless I'm missing anything, there's no trend in the meta which benefits it.
it's an interesting choice on bulkier builds to check common flying types like mega pinsir and tornt that are problematic for fatter builds and the fact that more fat builds were being used helps it out.

Why has Latias moved down in viability so much compared to Latios lately? Isn't a little of added bulk + healing wish pretty useful?
Scarf Jirachi outclasses it as an offensive healing wisher and Latios outclasses it as an offensive dragon type with key resists. The bulk is nice, but iirc the only ohko/2hko it avoids is from specs volcanion, and if you really want a great bulky dragon use her mega.

it's an interesting choice on bulkier builds to check common flying types like mega pinsir and tornt that are problematic for fatter builds and the fact that more fat builds were being used helps it out.
If anything, I would say that fatter builds actually hinders it more than allowing it to thrive. Tbolt, Roost and Defog are fixed.
Without Toxic, it can't do anything to Grounds, Grass-types and Dragons. It wants Heat Wave to beat Mega Scizor and Bisharp. Excadrill is shaky since +2 Rock Slide OHKOes Zapdos. Plus, whatever it does, it can't do anything to Stall. Yes, you might say it checks things like Mega Pinsir and Torn-T but most Pinsir teams run Kyu-B which Zapdos can't touch while Torn just U-Turns out to a check.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Zapdos rose because one of RMT posted awhile back with Zapdos in it on the stall team that was high on ladder and people rode the bandwagon. Those points littelucario brought up are exaggerations and or not even practical in how teams who have those normally handle Zapdos to begin with.

MANNAT

https://spo.ink/aq7
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If anything, I would say that fatter builds actually hinders it more than allowing it to thrive. Tbolt, Roost and Defog are fixed.
by fatter builds being used more I meant that the playstyle it fits on is being used more, sorry for the inconsistency.
Zapdos rose because one of RMT posted awhile back with Zapdos in it on the stall team that was high on ladder and people rode the bandwagon. Those points littelucario brought up are exaggerations and or not even practical in how teams who have those normally handle Zapdos to begin with.
The points I brought up are pros of Zapdos that warrant its usage on teams on the ladder and may be a tad exaggerated because Zapdos is a "fan favorite" of sorts and people will find excuses to use it.

(Sorry for the double post but afaik people are not notified when someone edits a post)

Back when Smogon was considering banning SwagPlay, there was a post outlining the long term probability of Klefki killing a pokemon (it might have been in a rmt). Can anyone link it to me?

(Sorry for the double post but afaik people are not notified when someone edits a post)

Back when Smogon was considering banning SwagPlay, there was a post outlining the long term probability of Klefki killing a pokemon (it might have been in a rmt). Can anyone link it to me?
I'm not sure about killing a Pokemon, but there was a chart for the odds of losing a turn over time, which can be found here: LOOK -> XY OU Suspect Process, Round 2 - SWAG [SWAGGER BANNED TO UBERS]<- LOOK

Could someone give me a Mega Gyarados core to work with? I like my bulky offense and I feel like Mega Gyarados would be an interesting pokemon to try.

Could someone give me a Mega Gyarados core to work with? I like my bulky offense and I feel like Mega Gyarados would be an interesting pokemon to try.
Most often it's just instantly paired with Jirachi due to the great synergy and utility it offers. So Mega Gyarados + Scarf Jirachi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)