Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
There are a lot of stall teams made by abr but the most relevant one right now is the weavile stall people are spamming on the ladder which uses choice band weavile to pursuit trap common stallbreakers (link)

Thanks AM for the suicune response.

Now, i want to ask something else, i've faced somebody using CM Clefable with Thunder and chatted with him, is it a viable move? I lost to it because my Heatran taunted expecting t wave and got para'd from thunder and it screwed some water mon i had.

He said that being able to paralyze without using a status move and dealing more damage than tbolt makes it better than that move, sadly its accuracy is so bad but it has high PP and clefable is a bulky mon so it can afford to miss and it has the same accuracy as Focus Blast, a move that is viable on Clefable and standard on Reuniclus, a mon that works similarly to Clefable but still...

So, i may test it sometime but what are your thoughts about this set, is the lower accuracy worth it? Agree that it's a good deal to use it over t wave/tbolt and if so, should you use ice beam or stick to moonblast?

Thanks AM for the suicune response.

Now, i want to ask something else, i've faced somebody using CM Clefable with Thunder and chatted with him, is it a viable move? I lost to it because my Heatran taunted expecting t wave and got para'd from thunder and it screwed some water mon i had.

He said that being able to paralyze without using a status move and dealing more damage than tbolt makes it better than that move, sadly its accuracy is so bad but it has high PP and clefable is a bulky mon so it can afford to miss and it has the same accuracy as Focus Blast, a move that is viable on Clefable and standard on Reuniclus, a mon that works similarly to Clefable but still...

So, i may test it sometime but what are your thoughts about this set, is the lower accuracy worth it? Agree that it's a good deal to use it over t wave/tbolt and if so, should you use ice beam or stick to moonblast?
Personally I don't think Thunder is a good choice on Clefable. I'm not sure if it gets any extra KOes that Thunderbolt doesn't but the accuracy is just too horrid for that extra 20% Paralysis chance. Focus Blast is used because it allowed Clefable to dent Heatran, one of its best counters while also hitting things like Ferrothorn, Excadrill and Bisharp for decent damage when you don't run Flamethrower.

You can actually choose to run CM + Softboiled+ BoltBeam on Clefable as a lure for things like Gliscor and Talonflame. (This is a viable set although the mono-attacker set with Thunder Wave / Flamethrower is the standard Clef set)

Are we eventually going to get to updating Mega Alt's Analysis now that we've finally realised it has been overhyped since the beginning? The current Analysis says its only true problem is having base 80 Speed, but that is hardly all it has going against it. It has much more issues, such as being outclassed by basically every other Fairy in the tier (maybe besides Sylveon), for example.

That said, I'm not saying I want to write one, as I have played little games in OU since the beginning of the year, but it's very jarring to me that the Analysis makes Mega Alt out to be one of the best in the tier, when it actually isn't very good at all.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Are we eventually going to get to updating Mega Alt's Analysis now that we've finally realised it has been overhyped since the beginning? The current Analysis says its only true problem is having base 80 Speed, but that is hardly all it has going against it. It has much more issues, such as being outclassed by basically every other Fairy in the tier (maybe besides Sylveon), for example.

That said, I'm not saying I want to write one, as I have played little games in OU since the beginning of the year, but it's very jarring to me that the Analysis makes Mega Alt out to be one of the best in the tier, when it actually isn't very good at all.
Yeah, I agree Mega Altaria's positive attributes should definitely be toned down in its analysis to reflect its position as a B+ ranked threat instead of the S-ranked threat it was.

However, this subforum actually doesn't have anything to do with the on-site analyses; you should try this subforum instead (this thread in particular) to get the changes made.

So, I haven't been following Pokemon in a while (I still need to pick up all the events that have been dropping. They're sitting in the Pokemon Center unclaimed). Why in the name of Popplio and Rowlett is Swagsire back in OU? Like... Yeah, it's a good 'mon and I love Tonie the Quagsire a lot. She helped me when I started. But WHAT changed to bring Quagsire back from the mire?

And a related question: Why and how did Conk and Sylveon drop to UU? I mean, they were staples of OU for the past two years. I just never expected to ever see them drop.

So, I haven't been following Pokemon in a while (I still need to pick up all the events that have been dropping. They're sitting in the Pokemon Center unclaimed). Why in the name of Popplio and Rowlett is Swagsire back in OU? Like... Yeah, it's a good 'mon and I love Tonie the Quagsire a lot. She helped me when I started. But WHAT changed to bring Quagsire back from the mire?

And a related question: Why and how did Conk and Sylveon drop to UU? I mean, they were staples of OU for the past two years. I just never expected to ever see them drop.
From what I know, Quagsire is a strong stall mon, while Conk just couldn't keep up with the new offensive mons. I didn't follow the Sylveon issue, though.

Stall is relatively easy to ladder with at the moment and Quagsire generally sees use on stall due to Unaware, hence why it's seeing a lot of use right now. Conkeldurr and Sylveon, on the other hand, haven't been relevant in OU since early XY due to just being outclassed / mediocre, and it's kind of amazing that they've seen that much usage since then.

HailFall

Does anyone know of a particularly effective nidoking core/partner? I saw the nidoking+rotom+torn one in the good cores thread but im looking for something a little more offensive.

So on each point
Quagsire- Basically unaware makes it a highly essential mon for most OU stall teams , and people have ran stall more since Hoopa-U got banned, it may die down, but it has a strong niche in OU
Conkeldurr- Its low speed along makes it an inferior choice in the current meta to things like Mega-Medicham or Terrakion and every playstyle has easy and common ways of dealing with it (Mega Sableye, Talonflame, Mega Latias, etc)
Syveon- Lost one of its major niches with the baton pass clause, in the current metagame it is completely outclasseed by Clefable defensivly (and offensively in some ways as well) and by Mega Gardevoir Offensively, people have been wanting it to drop for a while now and it generally hasnt been considered all that viable

...Stall is back in major force? ...greeaaaat...

Anyway, next meta catchup question: With Static being released on Zapdos now, has its previous sets been revised to build around it or does it have all new sets?

Technically, this applies to all three legend-bird, but especially to Zapdos

...Stall is back in major force? ...greeaaaat...

Anyway, next meta catchup question: With Static being released on Zapdos now, has its previous sets been revised to build around it or does it have all new sets?

Technically, this applies to all three legend-bird, but especially to Zapdos
well Defog and static arent able to be run on the same set, so those sets are the same, and otherwise the ability comes down to preference, like on a stall/semi stall team pressure may be more useful, but if you run it on balance and don't need defog then static is fun, there's nothing drastically different about zapdos

Okay, last question for the moment. I haven't been too good at teambuilding recently (read the last 6 months). I understand the basic concept of teambuilding and I often pick based on type synergy and roles, but my teams still aren't exactly ladderworthy (since I mostly play on cart, I suppose that's due to the more "static" nature of the training).

Where might I go asking for assistance with piecing together teams? I have an entire catalogue of my current collection (though my phone's version is a bit outdated and the whole thing needs a tier update), so it isn't like I'm starting from scratch.

Does anyone know of a particularly effective nidoking core/partner? I saw the nidoking+rotom+torn one in the good cores thread but im looking for something a little more offensive.
Ive seen Nidoking paired with Breloom. Not extremely offensive, but Breloom as a lead and Spore is usually hard to deal with for Balance if they dont have a grass type Pokémon, and Nidoking is even harder to deal with for balance, so thats something. Also like all scary wallbreaker, you might pair it with said Rotom-W, MMane or any other U-Turn/V-S user to bring it on the field, as even with his interesting defensive typing, he doesnt sport amazing bulk to switch into something.

Saw a mega Mmanectric team using him as a SR user. It felt like a waste though.

Have you tried Nidoking+DD gyarados? mega optional. Clefable might also be a good partner here to patch up their mediocre speed.
Nidoking and TG+3 attacks Manaphy + some form of talonflame might be good too.

I'm a little wary about running Draco Meteor on my Latios. Is the Special Attack drop from a Draco Meteor impactful? Or should it run Dragon Pulse instead?

HailFall

I'm a little wary about running Draco Meteor on my Latios. Is the Special Attack drop from a Draco Meteor impactful? Or should it run Dragon Pulse instead?
Draco is always better than dragon pulse. Iirc even 2 consecutive dracos factoring in spa drop is still more powerful than 2 dragon pulses and latios doesn't usually stay in long anyways.

2 consecutive Draco Meteor is still stronger than 2 consecutive Dragon Pulse. The drop in power is simply not worth it on Latios.

EDIT: Greninja-ed

Ok, and I was thinking, is Luster Purge a suitable possible option over Psychic/Psyshock? That 50% Special Defense drop is nice, but I don't know.

HailFall

Ok, and I was thinking, is Luster Purge a suitable possible option over Psychic/Psyshock? That 50% Special Defense drop is nice, but I don't know.
Nah luster purge has low pp and hitting on the physical side too is almost always more valuable. Ive heard of some weird super niche cm luster purge latios set but outside that use psyshock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)