Other ORAS Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's a gimmick, one I'm proud of using, but let's be honest he isn't a serious presence in the ladder.
While not a presence on the ladder, wasn't the Belly Drum SubSalac set considered viable enough to be on Chesnaught's ORAS analysis? I doubt it's more common than even Hawlucha, but its a viable, if not particularly common option.

So with all the Mega Houndoom talk in the VR thread, I figured I'd talk about the Sunny Day+Solarbeam set. It's pretty good in the respect that Solar Beam allows you to break down bulky Waters and other checks like Diancie. I mean Azumarill has to have an Assault Vest to even think about taking a Solarbeam and Aqua Jet is weakened considerably as well. Cool set that takes away its ability to stallbreak effectively, but it actually plays better against the majority of OU teams (because pure stall and pure HO really aren't too prominent anymore). When you add that Chansey is easy to pressure in general, Sunny Day seems pretty effective. It does a good job of tearing through a lot of common offensive and defensive cores, especially with that great speed tier. Fire Blast boosted by Solar Power and the Sun is stronger than +2 Fire Blast, and the addition of Grass coverage just makes it that much harder to switch into. It also still pressures Mega Sableye well, so the only thing you really miss out on is the blob.

Last edited:
So with all the Mega Houndoom talk in the VR thread, I figured I'd talk about the Sunny Day+Solarbeam set. It's pretty good in the respect that Solar Beam allows you to break down bulky Waters and other checks like Diancie. I mean Azumarill has to have an Assault Vest to even think about taking a Solarbeam and Aqua Jet is weakened considerably as well. Cool set that takes away its ability to stallbreak effectively, but it actually plays better against the majority of OU teams (because pure stall and HO really aren't too prominent anymore). When you add that Chansey is easy to pressure in general, Sunny Day seems pretty effectve. Might expand this later because I can't find my charger rn
Sunny Day support definitely makes M-Doom even more threatening, and Fire/Grass/Dark coverage with the boost from Solar Power is a lot to handle for a number of balance teams. I haven't used the Sunny Day set on its own, but I found success pairing M-Houndoom with Lagging Tail Support Whimsicott. Prankster Sunny Day avoids taunt most of the time, followed by a slow U-Turn to get Doom in without taking a hit or being statused. The pair also has some nice defensive synergy because Whimsicott resists the Fighting, Water, and Ground type moves that give Houndoom trouble. Sunny Day support from Whimsicott can also free up a moveslot for Doom - I usually run Nasty Plot so Houndoom can still be threatening even without sun. Taunt is good too because it helps with the pink blobs.

Hey guys there is a pokemon that I've been looking at lately that has fallen by the wayside: Claydol.

Base Stats:

HP:60

Attack:70

Defense:105

Sp. Atk:70

Sp. Def:120

Speed:75

IMO claydol is worth discussing because has something pretty unique as far hazard control mons in OU go. First off, he is generic, and can SR and Rapid Spin in the same set (most mons can only SR + Defog which is kinda counterproductive IMO). He has no existing hazard weaknesses and that is a huge asset when you need something to come in, reliably take a hit, and clear up the field for your cleaner/sweeper mons. He has pretty great bulk on the special side and decent bulk on the defensive side meaning he's not just some lop-sided answer to one end of the spectrum. He doesn't destroy your team's momentum as much as things like Forry, doesn't require sand like exca, and has more viable switch-in opportunities than the frail starmie. Claydol is also a great Lando-I check, as you can smack him back with Ice Beam.

Obviously, there are weaknesses. He is kinda pursuit bait (but can hit bisharp with earth power hard) and Ground/Psychic isn't great typing because of a water weakness and a susceptibility to Knock off. Additionally, the offensive base stats are pretty low meaning Claydol is never really going to establish itself as a real threat against balanced or offensive teams alike.

Either way, he's pretty unique imo and offers a niche utility for balanced and more defensively oriented builds... so I'd like to hear what your guys' opinions are on this very cool-looking but NU mon.

Hey guys there is a pokemon that I've been looking at lately that has fallen by the wayside: Claydol.

Base Stats:

IMO claydol is worth discussing because has something pretty unique as far hazard control mons in OU go. First off, he is generic, and can SR and Rapid Spin in the same set (most mons can only SR + Defog which is kinda counterproductive IMO). He has no existing hazard weaknesses and that is a huge asset when you need something to come in, reliably take a hit, and clear up the field for your cleaner/sweeper mons. He has pretty great bulk on the special side and decent bulk on the defensive side meaning he's not just some lop-sided answer to one end of the spectrum. He doesn't destroy your team's momentum as much as things like Forry, doesn't require sand like exca, and has more viable switch-in opportunities than the frail starmie. Claydol is also a great Lando-I check, as you can smack him back with Ice Beam.

Obviously, there are weaknesses. He is kinda pursuit bait (but can hit bisharp with earth power hard) and Ground/Psychic isn't great typing because of a water weakness and a susceptibility to Knock off. Additionally, the offensive base stats are pretty low meaning Claydol is never really going to establish itself as a real threat against balanced or offensive teams alike.

Either way, he's pretty unique imo and offers a niche utility for balanced and more defensively oriented builds... so I'd like to hear what your guys' opinions are on this very cool-looking but NU mon.
Excadrill is better, as the only thing that Claydol might have over Drill is the ground immunity and sort-of Lando switch-in, but Drill often has Air Balloon and Lando usually carries HP ice/Knock off anyways to bop you on the switch in. Drill doesn't require sand to work either, though it does work better with it. It's just too passive, a terrible typing in the current metagame, and really doesn't have a niche in OU imo.

Base Stats:

Claydol is just awful - like an absolutely terrible mon, even by RU standards. I mean the title of its set in damage calc is "RU DON'T USE CLAYDOL". lol.

It's totally outclassed in pretty much every way possible. While a dual rapid spinner/stealth rock setter might seem good in practice, it's just far too passive for OU standards. Even still, you could use something like Forretress who has much better typing and sturdy - and Forre isn't considered viable in OU atm just for reference. The electric/ground immunity on Claydol is nice, but it just has so many other weaknesses (Water, Dark, Ice) that prevent it from being effective. It also doesn't have access to reliable recovery like Starmie or any sort offensive presence like Excadrill. I mean, Claydol doesn't even guarantee a OHKO on Naive Lando-I without prior damage AND rocks. It's bad and has no place in OU.

0 SpA Claydol Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 260-308 (81.5 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Yeah Claydol just really sucks. To be honest, there's really no point in using it on a defensive team as it lacks reliable recovery (pokemon such as starmie have recover, while pokemon such as skarmory have roost) and is super passive. Most of the time, Claydol will probably be setting up rocks and spinning away rocks, but it's deadweight besides that. If you want to use a stealth rocker and spinner on a balanced / defensive build, specially defensive excadrill with moldbreaker is pretty nice as it can toxic mega sableye thanks to moldbreaker ignoring magic bounce. Not to mention that excadrill actually has decent offensive stats.

Claydol may seem good as it's one of the few pokemon that can spin away hazards and set up hazards at the same time, but it has a sucky typing, is super passive, and lacks reliable recovery so it's worn down very fast.

edit: nice ninja

Pentak the Beast

Banned deucer.
Yeah Claydol just really sucks. To be honest, there's really no point in using it on a defensive team as it lacks reliable recovery (pokemon such as starmie have recover, while pokemon such as skarmory have roost) and is super passive. Most of the time, Claydol will probably be setting up rocks and spinning away rocks, but it's deadweight besides that. If you want to use a stealth rocker and spinner on a balanced / defensive build, specially defensive excadrill with moldbreaker is pretty nice as it can toxic mega sableye thanks to moldbreaker ignoring magic bounce. Not to mention that excadrill actually has decent offensive stats.

Claydol may seem good as it's one of the few pokemon that can spin away hazards and set up hazards at the same time, but it has a sucky typing, is super passive, and lacks reliable recovery so it's worn down very fast.

edit: nice ninja
I definitely agree, Claydol has never worked for me, however, I have seen people use him very well.

Ok guys, I'd like to discuss Gliscor in the current meta. What's it's best set, what's it's best teammates, what Pokemon does it struggle with, what moves can it run?

Some moves I've seen on Gliscor that get little usage are Defog, Stealth Rock, Ice Fang, and the two I would have expected to see a lot more that I have never even seen mentioned, Stone Edge - especially on the SpDef set for Talonflame which otherwise sets up on it, and Facade- on the Swords Dance set especially, as it's boosted by Poison and hits really hard neutrally while Earthquake and Knock Off hit everything else for a lot of damage except Air Ballooners and Skarmory. So why don't we see these moves?

Ok guys, I'd like to discuss Gliscor in the current meta. What's it's best set, what's it's best teammates, what Pokemon does it struggle with, what moves can it run?

Some moves I've seen on Gliscor that get little usage are Defog, Stealth Rock, Ice Fang, and the two I would have expected to see a lot more that I have never even seen mentioned, Stone Edge - especially on the SpDef set for Talonflame which otherwise sets up on it, and Facade- on the Swords Dance set especially, as it's boosted by Poison and hits really hard neutrally while Earthquake and Knock Off hit everything else for a lot of damage except Air Ballooners and Skarmory. So why don't we see these moves?
As far as Defog goes, it's incompatible with Poison Heal. Defog is only available in Gen 4, and Poison Heal is first available in Gen 5. Poison Heal is kinda the big selling point on Gliscor.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 224 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SpA / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake/knock off
- Synthesis
Mega venusaur has a interesting move pool that we can use for a nice lure. Knock off doing over 50% to one of the most popular switch ins ,latios, with the given attack. It's also good to knock off chansey's eviolite and is a interesting move to use on venusaur.

12- Atk Mega Venusaur Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 154-182 (51.3 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Earthquake is here to lure in things like heatran which take a load to a earthquake.

12- Atk Mega Venusaur Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 248-296 (64.4 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

People who are using heatran usually think they have a safe switch in since the set is usually HP fire to hit the ferrothorns.
Can we talk about this? Venusaur looks pretty good on paper right now with the prevalence of m-diancie/altaria/lopunny and lack of bird spam/psychic landorus. Most of them opt for either eq or hp fire to hit either ferro/scizor or heatran, while knock off means you can't touch mega scizor being able to remove lefties from both heatran and ferro would really help in whittling them down also dropping life orbs of lati's and whatnot makes them a good bit less threatening to the rest of the team. This seems like a pretty solid set to run on some fat balanced team, definitely going to need to try it. (I might just have a problem of liking knock off a bit too much)

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Reuniclus has ever been underrated in this tier, but after I've been using it successfully in a team for like 3 rounds of the last smogon tour I won. I used it in a balanced team as a win condition with Magic Guard Clefable (which helps against Sableye which completely walls Reuniclus).

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

It has access to Magic Guard making it a good threat able to enter in lategame without needing hazards removing support and it isn't weakened by status moves. It has a very good bulk which allows it to endure almost every special hit after some Calm Mind and it can deal with Physical sweepers except for the strongest ones with Knock Off. It requires a lot of support - Thunder Wave users are probably the best teammates for it - but it allows you to shut down a whole team if well-used.
Let me know what you think about this Pokemon :]

So with all the Mega Houndoom talk in the VR thread, I figured I'd talk about the Sunny Day+Solarbeam set. It's pretty good in the respect that Solar Beam allows you to break down bulky Waters and other checks like Diancie. I mean Azumarill has to have an Assault Vest to even think about taking a Solarbeam and Aqua Jet is weakened considerably as well. Cool set that takes away its ability to stallbreak effectively, but it actually plays better against the majority of OU teams (because pure stall and pure HO really aren't too prominent anymore). When you add that Chansey is easy to pressure in general, Sunny Day seems pretty effective. It does a good job of tearing through a lot of common offensive and defensive cores, especially with that great speed tier. Fire Blast boosted by Solar Power and the Sun is stronger than +2 Fire Blast, and the addition of Grass coverage just makes it that much harder to switch into. It also still pressures Mega Sableye well, so the only thing you really miss out on is the blob.
One neato thing about its Sunny Day set is that you can "pass" it a 2.25x boost without actually using Baton Pass, so if you use BP to dry-pass, you won't run afoul of the Baton Pass Clause.

Reuniclus has ever been underrated in this tier, but after I've been using it successfully in a team for like 3 rounds of the last smogon tour I won. I used it in a balanced team as a win condition with Magic Guard Clefable (which helps against Sableye which completely walls Reuniclus).

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

It has access to Magic Guard making it a good threat able to enter in lategame without needing hazards removing support and it isn't weakened by status moves. It has a very good bulk which allows it to endure almost every special hit after some Calm Mind and it can deal with Physical sweepers except for the strongest ones with Knock Off. It requires a lot of support - Thunder Wave users are probably the best teammates for it - but it allows you to shut down a whole team if well-used.
I would use Colbur Berry over Leftovers. It can't take passive damage, has access to Recover and is begging for a Knock Off or Sucker Punch to the face.

252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Reuniclus: 177-208 (41.7 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Reuniclus: 96-114 (22.6 - 26.8%) -- 30.9% chance to 4HKO

Though it mostly helps with double switches and revenge kills, because neither Reuniclus nor Bisharp/Tyranitar can switch into each other.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Completely agree, also the Specs+Regenarator+Future sight set is decent enough, it lacks bulk but if you get rid of the opposing teams dark types it'll hit pretty uggly and steel types wont like switching into a specs boosted focus blast/Shadow ball

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Besides Reuniclus, another Pokemon that has long been in the shadows because of its brother is Slowking. While the Nasty Plot set has seen some love in recent games regarding OST, another prominent set is the physically defensive set. Why use this over Slowbro? Despite having lower defenses than its brother, Slowking is able to wall various physical ou threats in the metagame. Mega Metagross fails to 2HK0 Slowking with Grass Knot, which cannot be said for his brother. Mega Lopunny also fails to 2HK0 and is dealt with by means of Psyshock and Thunder Wave. The boost in Sp Def allows it to take on the Lati twins better as well as taking on Mega Diancie and Choice Specs Keldeo more comfortably. Thunder Wave is also just a great move in general haha. This set definitely deserves some love!

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock​

tehy

Banned deucer.
Besides Reuniclus, another Pokemon that has long been in the shadows because of its brother is Slowking. While the Nasty Plot set has seen some love in recent games regarding OST, another prominent set is the physically defensive set. Why use this over Slowbro? Despite having lower defenses than its brother, Slowking is able to wall various physical ou threats in the metagame. Mega Metagross fails to 2HK0 Slowking with Grass Knot, which cannot be said for his brother. Mega Lopunny also fails to 2HK0 and is dealt with by means of Psyshock and Thunder Wave. The boost in Sp Def allows it to take on the Lati twins better as well as taking on Mega Diancie and Choice Specs Keldeo more comfortably. Thunder Wave is also just a great move in general haha. This set definitely deserves some love!

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock​
You know, something that's interested me recently is the simple question of "Slowbro or Slowking?"

So, obviously there are a few simple baselines- if Slowbro is going with 16 Def EVs and a Bold nature, he's hit a benchmark Slowking cannot, and vice versa with 16 SpD EVs and a Calm nature, and any sets running a lot of SpA (say, Avest Slowking) take advantage of the natural bulk in either stat to invest in SpA. Plus, Slowking gets Dragon Tail and Nasty Plot, so any set using those must be on Slowking.

However, the above set (not calling you out aim just saying) is something Slowbro can do too, running a 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD spread (and a 0 Atk IV i guess). So, how do you decide which Slow brother to use for this set? Well, you could skew the defenses a bit, but that probably ends up hurting you (we might find some ideal spread that only one can use someday and that decides the debate, but until I see that spread, it's still up in the air.)

So, i guess the answer is versatility; which set is more surprising? Slowbro has the Mega factor going, it can potentially keep people guessing at your mega. Then again, if you've got an Altaria or maybe a Pinsir, it's not too hard to figure out, so this is only really effective with, say, Scizor, or maybe Gyarados. Additionally, Slowking arguably has more sets packing Leftovers, specifically NP + TR (SpD slowking cancels Phys.D slowbro out i'd say). Overall, I think slowking wins for now because it's got Avest potential, but Slowbro's an interesting choice if you've got an ambiguous mega or even none at all. Anyhow, that's a really interesting question i'll continue to keep my eye on

Here's a set I have been trying out for a bit.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Basically, I wanted a check to both Landorus and Latios, but Mega Scizor didn't really have the bulk to muscle Landorus' Earth Power, or Latios' HP Fire, so I saw that Scizor had decent all around bulk, a good defensive typing, and it doesn't really rely on its support moves to function. So AV Scizor become something. EVs are designed to live a specially defensive Heatran's Lava Plume, so you can finish a weakened one off with Superpower, as well as OHKOing Latios with U-Turn after one round of recoil or SR. HP Ice is mainly so you can beat Landorus 1v1, as well as being able to check Gliscor.
It actually takes special hits pretty nicely, so give it a try.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 114-136 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 70-83 (21.9 - 26%) -- 4.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 105-125 (32.9 - 39.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 104-123 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 124-147 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 109-129 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 81-96 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 87-103 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Here's a set I have been trying out for a bit.

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Basically, I wanted a check to both Landorus and Latios, but Mega Scizor didn't really have the bulk to muscle Landorus' Earth Power, or Latios' HP Fire, so I saw that Scizor had decent all around bulk, a good defensive typing, and it doesn't really rely on its support moves to function. So AV Scizor become something. EVs are designed to live a specially defensive Heatran's Lava Plume, so you can finish a weakened one off with Superpower, as well as OHKOing Latios with U-Turn after one round of recoil or SR. HP Ice is mainly so you can beat Landorus 1v1, as well as being able to check Gliscor.
It actually takes special hits pretty nicely, so give it a try.

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 114-136 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Mega Diancie Earth Power vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 70-83 (21.9 - 26%) -- 4.9% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 105-125 (32.9 - 39.1%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO
232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 104-123 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 124-147 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 109-129 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 81-96 (25.3 - 30%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Sceptile Focus Blast vs. 152 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Scizor: 87-103 (27.2 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
I'm not so sure about this set. While an AV set is good in theory, Scizor really misses out on passive recovery from leftovers or reliable recovery from roost. I think the set you mentioned would just be worn down too easily between entry hazard damage and trying to take too many hits. Also, not investing in Scizor's physical bulk is going to make it significantly more prone to some of the things it's supposed to check (Lando-T, M-Meta, etc.). Finally, HP Ice coming off a base 55 special attack is pretty awful - with an Adamant Nature, Scizor can't even 2HKO Naive Lando-I. Sorry for not posting the calcs - I'm on mobile.

EDIT: Forgot Technician in calcs, so Scizor can 2HKO with HP Ice - but it still seems gimmicky. As was said below, Pursuit is a better option if you're going to use AV Scizor so that it can trap the Latis - which seems to be one of the biggest draws of using AV Scizor in the first place.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Froggyboy AV Scizor isn't bad as theurbandear is making it out to be HOWEVER you're sort of missing the biggest selling point of AV Scizor in that it succeeds at pursuit trapping the Latis more efficiently, which you're not even running right now. I think HP Ice is sort of redundant on the set for luring purposes when you'd have more success incorporating a partner such as Weavile that Scizor can use its ability in gaining momentum to get Weavile in safely.

Yeah, I run Pursuit as well, but I replaced it with HP Ice so I can actually touch Landorus, since I am suppose to be able to check it. I'll try those suggestions.
And passive damage and no lefties hurts it, but with Wish support, it can stay healthy enough to check whats it is suppose to.
Plus what do you mean, adamant Scizor can 2HKO Timid/Modest Landorus with HP Ice.
0- SpA Technician Scizor Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus: 176-208 (55.1 - 65.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hello, hello, I'm new to Smogon and Showdown. However, I've played competitively using OU rules in the actual games for well over 2 years now.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Nidoking (sheer force), as of the ORAS changes. I use mine on a sticky web team, and he completely wrecks opponents who don't resist.

Hello, hello, I'm new to Smogon and Showdown. However, I've played competitively using OU rules in the actual games for well over 2 years now.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Nidoking (sheer force), as of the ORAS changes. I use mine on a sticky web team, and he completely wrecks opponents who don't resist.
There really isn't much reason to use Nidoking over the much more superior Landorus, who not only has more power behind its moves, but can abuse sets using Calm Mind, Rock Polish, etc. It's also much faster to begin with, with a Speed stat of 101, which is handy for outspeeding common base 100s. It's also bulkier and has a handy typing. Nidoking has trouble getting safe switch-ins and is pretty slow, so Landorus is the better choice. I guess Nidoking has Ice Beam and Fire Blast, but those two moves don't really make up for Landorus's advantages.

Welcome to Smogon, hope you enjoy your stay!

There really isn't much reason to use Nidoking over the much more superior Landorus, who not only has more power behind its moves, but can abuse sets using Calm Mind, Rock Polish, etc. It's also much faster to begin with, with a Speed stat of 101, which is handy for outspeeding common base 100s. It's also bulkier and has a handy typing. Nidoking has trouble getting safe switch-ins and is pretty slow, so Landorus is the better choice. I guess Nidoking has Ice Beam and Fire Blast, but those two moves don't really make up for Landorus's advantages.

Welcome to Smogon, hope you enjoy your stay!
Nidoking is my favorite Pokemon and my team doesn't need that extra ice vulnerability. I also only build teams around Pokemon I actually have and Pokemon I can actually acquire, which is another reason against it in my eyes. Although, Landorus sounds extremely impressive now. I'd build a team around Landorus if I could somehow get ahold of a 5 perfect IV sheer force Landorus in-game.

By the way, sludge wave hits with immense force coming from Nidoking :toast:

Well, to my fair, it's kind of hard to find a switch-in into Nidoking, because of its good coverage to hit a slew of mons super effectively. However, when encountered by something it only hits neutrally, it can be revenged rather easily. It lacks the needed OHKOs to be effective, thanks to its below average 85 SpA. Plus its lackluster speed is pretty sucky right now, though I guess Sticky Web makes up for that, and I can see it working decently in TR.

But still, Landorus is a great Pokemon right now, even suspect-worthy, but there are a few advantages King has over it, like better coverage, resistance to SR, and 2x weakness to Ice can be helpful to live a HP Ice. But the Psychic and Ground weakness hurts a lot in the current meta, and its low bulk hurts as well.
I'm not going to say dont use Nidoking because of Landorus, but there isn't a lot Nidoking has over Landorus. So when battling on Showdown, you should probably use Landorus, since it is more effective.
if only drill run got boosted by sheer force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)