np: UU - Higher Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely true. 152 Def versions can cushion Bullet Punch and Fake Out is easily stopped by Protect. I wouldn't even bring in Hitmontop unless its HP is really, really low.
This is assuming he came into SR later in the game, not as a lead. As a lead, he loses to Moltres (barring flinchax or HP rock) who is another quite common lead. Plus, late game sweeper versions generally don't carry protect in favor of more coverage or substitute (which also fucks over hitmontop, but still).

This is assuming he came into SR later in the game, not as a lead. As a lead, he loses to Moltres (barring flinchax or HP rock) who is another quite common lead. Plus, late game sweeper versions generally don't carry protect in favor of more coverage or substitute (which also fucks over hitmontop, but still).
You forgot Ancient Power. If the opponent doesn't have a Registeel/Chansey and I get that all around stat boost from Ancient Power, then it usually ends up sweeping teams.

You forgot Ancient Power. If the opponent doesn't have a Registeel/Chansey and I get that all around stat boost from Ancient Power, then it usually ends up sweeping teams.
You have to be the only guy that actually uses it. I've certainly never seen it before.

I'm not sure when the trend started, but I've also been seeing a lot of TrickScarf Uxie leads. To be quite honest, I feel that the standard Uxie lead would probably work better. Why are many people opting for the TrickScarf set now, when it still fails in preventing the lead Pokémon from setting up Stealth Rock? Also, what do you guys think of the TrickScarf Uxie lead as a whole?

im happy to see honckrow back in UU,seems that dugtrio will now be an effective revenge killer against missy with sucker punch,this combined with honckrow returning to UU means that missy will slowly drop in the UU metagame

with honckrow back in UU,what will happen to absol?

Folgorio

I KickTehAss
is a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm not sure when the trend started, but I've also been seeing a lot of TrickScarf Uxie leads. To be quite honest, I feel that the standard Uxie lead would probably work better. Why are many people opting for the TrickScarf set now, when it still fails in preventing the lead Pokémon from setting up Stealth Rock? Also, what do you guys think of the TrickScarf Uxie lead as a whole?

I'm pretty sure(correct me if I'm wrong) that jak3 was the one that started using trick scarf uxie. I'm not exactly sure but he usually kept the scarf until late game and tricked it onto something he found threatening or dangerous, like say a dragon dance feraligatr. Then he'd switch to something like toxicroak and set up. Regardless the scarf wasn't intended to prevent the other lead to set up stealth rock it was more of an "oh-shit button" for when something got out of hand seeing as how uxie is ridiculously bulky and can take all sorts of boosted attacks.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that jak3 started the TrickScarf lead Uxie trend, I've faced him a couple of times with my Moltres lead, which usually gets paralyzed or Uxie sets up SR. I've battled him 4 times iirc, (won 2 lost 2) he never Tricked my lead. Like Folgorio said, he usually saves it for late-game (I remember he Tricked it onto my Milotic several times). It's also great for stopping rampant Specs TL Yanmega.

some people go for Ancient Power if they already have HP Ground. They also drop protect and substitute for it but that is the only time ive seen Ancient Power on a yanmega, folg used one on his lesser teams too.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
im happy to see honckrow back in UU,seems that dugtrio will now be an effective revenge killer against missy with sucker punch,this combined with honckrow returning to UU means that missy will slowly drop in the UU metagame

with honckrow back in UU,what will happen to absol?
Yeah, Mismagius took a huge hit with Dugtrio as a revenge killer and Honchkrow as a pretty solid counter (not being weak to HP Fighting is a huge plus for Krow over Absol)

Speaking of Absol, I think it's really going to fall off of the map. With Super Luck fixed and Honch back, I would be surprised to see it used as much as it was over the last month. Honchkrow's typing is so much better than Absol's that there's really no reason to use Absol when they are both in the same tier. Swords Dance is good but difficult to pull off, but that weakness to U-turn and Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave just kills it

Huh. Every time I battle a TrickScarf Uxie lead. my opponent immediately Tricks the Choice Scarf onto my lead.
Same here, I've never seen anything special about a Trick Scarf Uxie lead. If anything Scarf Mesprit would be better for late game since it actually has decent type coverage

Meh, I wanted Honchkrow out to let my MissyM and SDSaur dominate. With it back, the effectiveness of a good portion of my team is diminished :/

Like many others, I believe that Dugtrio is doing much more poorly than I expected, while Donphan seems quite good.

With Donphan to Spin and Dugtrio to take out Registeel and Chansey, I find that Yanmega is becoming a bigger threat. Standard Speed Boost Yanmega is not too hard to beat, but Tinted Lens ones allow it to forego weaker coverage moves like Ancientpower and Hidden Power to beat the crap out of its "counters" with Bug Buzz and Air Slash. Usually, I only find myself using those two moves when using a Choiced TL Yanmega.

CB Hariyama is an absolute beast. Switch into a WoW or Toxic and fire off attacks with a 837 stat. And the great thing about it is that it takes a few hits to take down unlike other faster, frail attackers.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Honchkrow is now on the UU ladder, and the fixes Colin made to Super Luck and Critical Hits have been installed as well. Thank you, Colin!

Also, the UU leaderboard has been reset the same as last time -- by resetting deviations, and clearing all CRE's. So, while your base rating was not changed, you will still have some work to do in order to re-earn your CRE.

Good luck on the new ladder! (or should I say Super Luck?)

Thanks for updating the ladder Doug. After battling some more on the ladder, I'll make sure to report on how Donphan, Dugtrio, and Honchkrow combined affect the new metagame.

It's not Sucker Punch that Missy is afraid of, it is the combination of Night Slash and Pursuit.
yeah that too,but im talking about dugtrio serving as a great mismagicus revenge killer. with sucker punch,it can switch in on thunderbolt and make a swift KO with sucker punch

it does work on honch through :P

Yanmega / Dugtrio / Swellow core + Stealth Rock user + Spikes user = instant win. Absolute force in this tier, the core which gave me a hard time, then I instantly copied it.
Seems like that core has a few Donphan issues. What makes that statement more interesting is that I've noticed a spike in Rotom usage in the last week, not sure if it's just me. It is worth noting because Rotom does have several advantages that make it worth using over Mismagius in this metagame, including STAB Thunderbolt, lots more resistances and higher physical defense. It is also still fast enough to burn Honchkrow before it can move. Basically, if you're not using Calm Mind or Taunt, you should pause for a second to consider whether Rotom would be a better fit for the team.

Anyway, I've been trying out an offensive team recently with Dugtrio as a suicide lead. It has a few flaws (including Rotom ironically), but has been working very well on the whole. I have also played against a couple of people using a +Speed nature on their Honchkrow, which has taken me by surprise and screwed me over on one occasion.

EDIT:

yeah that too,but im talking about dugtrio serving as a great mismagicus revenge killer. with sucker punch,it can switch in on thunderbolt and make a swift KO with sucker punch
My point was that most Missys are SubCM variant, and most other sets contain WoW somewhere, meaning that Sucker Punch is the least of Missy's concerns.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Seems like that core has a few Donphan issues.
Not really, Donphan can't do squat on Yanmega unless it packs Stone Edge. I assume the standard moveset is Ice Shard / Earthquake / Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock. 4 Atk Donphan's Ice Shard deals 21.09% - 24.92% on 152 Def Yanmega. The core is working swell, just needs adjustments and I hope to be 1 in the ladder soon.

FRANKY: CB Donphan is the one people are talking about.
----------

It always seems like I find myself replacing Missy for Rotom in any situation where I use Missy. Rotom w/ a scarf (and Hp ice) has won me so many matches that I've not missed replacing Missy one time ever.

He resists both of Yanmega's STABs and can outspeed it after one speed boost unless its Timid and invests heavily in spe. Seems like I've mentioned this before, but it makes a fair Yanmega check.

I used Hp ice to beat RP Torterra near the end of this suspect test, and it worked nicely. Adamant versions are outsped after a RP and take ~88 percent from HP (I forget the exact number but its almost always a OHKO after SR). I only faced one Jolly version the entire time I used it.

My point was that most Missys are SubCM variant, and most other sets contain WoW somewhere, meaning that Sucker Punch is the least of Missy's concerns.
Regardless of wether Missy has Sub, Dugtrio can still knock it out with Night Slash. Specs TL Yanmegas pretty much unstoppable late game.

From experience, I've found that most Dugtrio tend to run Sucker Punch over Night Slash. It's probally down to the fact that it has higher base power. I hardly ever face Night Slashin' Dugtrios. And it can't knock it out if Mismagius subs, and then CMs, subs again...etc.

EDIT:
| Dugtrio | Move | Sucker Punch | 81.3 |
| Dugtrio | Move | Night Slash | 19.0 |

From the July 2009 Shoddy Statistics.

Donphan has been doing pretty well. It pops up often on stall teams, always being used as a Rapid Spinner over Hitmontop. Its Earthquakes usually do around 40% to Spiritomb, meaning that Donphan usually comes out on top even when it gets burned. It can spin later in the match. Donphan is also an excellent switch into all kinds of physical attackers, taking on physical rock-, dark-, poison-, and weak fighting types.

Where's Dugtrio?

Also, I've been trying out a stall team that's been working pretty well (it's the standard Roserade / Milotic / Chansey / Spiritomb / Hitmontop thing). How the fuck do UU stall teams deal with Clefable? The fighter of choice (usually Hitmontop or Hariyama) eventually get worn down by Facades, and these Fighters cannot even OHKO Clefable with Close Combat when investing so heavily in defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)