Metagame np: Stage 5 - Eruption (Cameruptite and Typhlosion Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
this thread is kinda dead so i'm gonna try and spark some discussion by sharing some mons that i think are pretty good rn and also some mons that I think will be p nice if the tier shifts go as planned.
upload_2015-4-24_21-54-37.png

Torkoal @ Leftovers | Shell Armor
248 HP / 8 SpAtk / 252 SpDef | Bold
Lava Plume | Rapid Spin | Toxic | Stealth Rock / Protect

Torkoal seems like a really fun mon to play around with in the current meta. Defensive Fire Typing, while not exactly great is pretty decent in this meta as it allows you to beat a lot of really common physical attackers like Mawile, Klinklang, Scyther, and Sneasel. Because of Torkoal's large natural physical bulk, it can run SpDef to check things like Lilligant and Jynx (Although Sleep is annoying). Still won't be the best mon because of it's susceptibility to hazards and lack of reliable recovery, but it seems like a cool mon that's niche has increased with the increased viability of offensive steel and grass types.
upload_2015-4-24_22-4-18.png

Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk | Bold
Stealth Rock | Earth Power | Discharge | Toxic

Stunfisk is another defensive mon that is really fun to play around with in this meta. Its Ground/Electric typing is a really nice asset in the current metagame and is actually a lot bulkier than people give it credit for. It can check stuff like Gears, Scyther, and Rotom. It also has a really nice ability in Static that makes opponents think twice before touching it. Combine that with Discharge for another 30% chance at a para and Toxic to catch the bulky grounds that try and switch in, and you have an annoying defensive mon that is a nice asset to have on slower teams. Not to mention that it's cute as fuck.

upload_2015-4-24_22-13-32.png

Rotom-S @ Life Orb | Levitate
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Modest
Substitute | Pain Split | Thunderbolt | Air Slash

Modest SubSplit Rotom-S hits like a fucking truck, simple as that. It uses it's excellent defensive and offensive typing to force a ton of switches at which point it can proceed to fuck up alot of common Balance builds. Modest is used because you outspeed Adamant Sawk anyways and Timid doesn't get the jump on anything important anyways. Modest also hits really fucking hard when backed by a Life Orb and can secure 2HKO's on stuff like Defensive Seismitoad after rocks. Really fun mon to build with and use in this meta.

upload_2015-4-24_22-22-6.png

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry | Tough Claws
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Naughty
Shell Smash | Razor Shell | Grass Knot | Return

Barbaracle has definitely been my major boner-mon ever since I started playing NU. One of my first posts in the NU forum was yung me explaining how great Barbaracle was lol. Anyways this is definitely the most effective set for Barb in the current metagame. Shuca lets it set up on cool stuff like Archeops, Tauros, Seismitoad, Rhydon (if it stays in), Bouffalant, Kangaskhan, Claydol (if it stays in) etc. Razor Shell and Grass Knot are standard fare, but the real kicker here is Return. Return is tough claws boosted and only hits a couple percentage points lighter than Stone Edge, while also having 100% accuracy. It provides a reliable option that Barbaracle can use to clean offensive teams without worrying about missing, while also providing practically perfect coverage alongside its other moves barring Ferroseed and Gourgeist. Overall a really fun cool mon to use that everyone should try.

yeah so there's some mons you guys should go try, have fun

Last edited:

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
this thread is kinda dead so i'm gonna try and spark some discussion by sharing some mons that i think are pretty good rn and also some mons that I think will be p nice if the tier shifts go as planned.
View attachment 40882
Torkoal @ Leftovers | Shell Armor
248 HP / 8 SpAtk / 252 SpDef | Bold
Lava Plume | Rapid Spin | Toxic | Stealth Rock / Protect

Torkoal seems like a really fun mon to play around with in the current meta. Defensive Fire Typing, while not exactly great is pretty decent in this meta as it allows you to beat a lot of really common physical attackers like Mawile, Klinklang, Scyther, and Sneasel. Because of Torkoal's large natural physical bulk, it can run SpDef to check things like Lilligant and Jynx (Although Sleep is annoying). Still won't be the best mon because of it's susceptibility to hazards and lack of reliable recovery, but it seems like a cool mon that's niche has increased with the increased viability of offensive steel and grass types.
View attachment 40883
Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpAtk | Bold
Stealth Rock | Earth Power | Discharge | Toxic

Stunfisk is another defensive mon that is really fun to play around with in this meta. Its Ground/Electric typing is a really nice asset in the current metagame and is actually a lot bulkier than people give it credit for. It can check stuff like Gears, Scyther, and Rotom. It also has a really nice ability in Static that makes opponents think twice before touching it. Combine that with Discharge for another 30% chance at a para and Toxic to catch the bulky grounds that try and switch in, and you have an annoying defensive mon that is a nice asset to have on slower teams. Not to mention that it's cute as fuck.

View attachment 40884
Rotom-S @ Life Orb | Levitate
4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe | Modest
Substitute | Pain Split | Thunderbolt | Air Slash

Modest SubSplit Rotom-S hits like a fucking truck, simple as that. It uses it's excellent defensive and offensive typing to force a ton of switches at which point it can proceed to fuck up alot of common Balance builds. Modest is used because you outspeed Adamant Sawk anyways and Timid doesn't get the jump on anything important anyways. Modest also hits really fucking hard when backed by a Life Orb and can secure 2HKO's on stuff like Defensive Seismitoad after rocks. Really fun mon to build with and use in this meta.

View attachment 40885
Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry | Tough Claws
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Naughty
Shell Smash | Razor Shell | Grass Knot | Return

Barbaracle has definitely been my major boner-mon ever since I started playing NU. One of my first posts in the NU forum was yung me explaining how great Barbaracle was lol. Anyways this is definitely the most effective set for Barb in the current metagame. Shuca lets it set up on cool stuff like Archeops, Tauros, Seismitoad, Rhydon (if it stays in), Bouffalant, Kangaskhan, Claydol (if it stays in) etc. Razor Shell and Grass Knot are standard fare, but the real kicker here is Return. Return is tough claws boosted and only hits a couple percentage points lighter than Stone Edge, while also having 100% accuracy. It provides a reliable option that Barbaracle can use to clean offensive teams without worrying about missing, while also providing practically perfect coverage alongside its other moves barring Ferroseed and Gourgeist. Overall a really fun cool mon to use that everyone should try.

yeah so there's some mons you guys should go try, have fun
I think this post is the perfect example of how much teambuilding has had a weight lifted off of it with Typhlosion and Mega-Camerupt leaving. Previously, Torkoal wouldn't have gotten a look in because of Mega-Rupt, same with Stunfisk, Rotom-Fan had a hard time against it as well. Not to mention, Typhlosion crippled Barbaracle either with a specs HP Grass prediction or a cheeky Charcoal set which caught it out turn 2. Just look at Sweet Jesus topping the ladder with a Linoone team!

So that this post has substance, I'm gonna post my thoughts on the mons you mentioned and add one in of my own at the end if I feel like it.

Torkoal:
Very interesting on the ladder right now, if you're not loaded with a strong water or ground type, it's going to be a tough day against this thing. very very hard to take down, it reliably sets up rocks and spins away rocks on your side of the field as well, taking advantage of its fantastic bulk to act as a hazard setter and hazard control at the same time. Lava Plume can just be nice to wear things down, that burn chance is always handy as well as toxic/protect to help Torkoal with it's longevity issue or take chunks out of opposing threats before dying with it's role completed. Torkoal can be a real nuisance with no Mega-Camerupt, since Rhydon is scared to switch in fearing a Will-O-Wisp and it only needs small team support to handle Samurott and Floatzel and you've got a solid spinner here, a fine choice for a lot of balanced teams right now.

Stunfisk:
My god this thing is hard to break. With fantastic Ground/Electric typing, it acts as a terrific Volt-turn stopper. The threat of static prevents your opponent from U-turning freely, as well as the threat of a simple Thunder Wave from Stunfisk itself. Access to rocks makes this thing even more of a nuisance, as well as Thunder Wave, Discharge which can also paralyze and threatens water types, and even toxic to wear down threats as they struggle to 3HKO Stunfisk. All in all, brilliant.

Rotom-Fan:
I've always been more of a fan (get it?) of the scarf set, but I've seen how hard the modest set can hit. The lack of Volt Switch worries me, yet you can make the same play you would but instead click substitute, and your momentum is still there to some extent. This thing has the ability to rip holes in teams that are not prepared, even Pain Splitting its checks and counters to make them easier to beat for the rest of the team. The biggest stop to this mon would be either Rhydon, or even Stunfisk himself! Definitely one to use to catch out your opponent, a rather unconventional but definitely viable set.

Barbaracle:
I used a Barbaracle+Vivillon team back in the Shiftry meta a while ago, and it ruled. I'm attracted to it's large movepool which is full of ways to take down its checks and counters. Grass Knot is brilliant for Seismitoad and Quagsire since while you aren't invested in Special Attack, it still gets doubled by Shell Smash, and at that point, a x4 hit cannot fail. The Shuca berry impresses me, the ease in which it sets up in things that would normally take advantage of it while it tries to set up is fantastic, the likes of Rhydon and Archeops that think they're clever staying in predicting the Shell Smash get messed up by this set, as you already mentioned. Another would be the likes of Sawk that are locked into Earthquake. Very promising to take a lead role in the offensive water type section, we'll keep an eye on this guy.

I also wanted to kind of spread the word about this guy as well:

Floatzel @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Veil
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

I have been using this set in conjunction with Kangaskhan on a hazards offense team (stole from hollywood in the cores thread, it's amazing), and it's been working wonders, I'm currently #2 on the ladder (1570) at time of this post. People expect physical when they see Floatzel, meaning you can catch a lot of stuff out like Regirock (PhysDef), Vileplume's and the like mainly. It's incredible speed tier means it loses out to just swellow, and ties with Sneasel. Therefore, Floatzel makes light work of Archeops, Lilligant, Pyroar, and many more. Finally, that ability, a Weezing lure for sure, a 2HKO with Hydro Pump while they think you're physical, can't fault this thing right now.

Last edited:
Magneton yuss!!! prepare to see magneton on every team. Seismitoad no:(((( muh seismitoad garb-cores :( Pinsir yay. welcome to nu. Mold breaker rocks and moxie cleaner ftw. Fletch fuck yes. Keen as fuck to abuse hyper offense again. Kabutops another legendary mon and spinner. very excited for this meta yay.. can't hide it oml

The Goomy

Whitest Mexican Alive
This is amazing. Ngl. The new drops really balance each other well. Hopefully NU can stay as un-matchup-dependent as it has been recently. n_n

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Everyone predicting Klinklang: The Tier and yet we just traded one hard answer to it for another in the form of Magneton. Definitely will be a great mon in this meta with the departure of one of the Ground-types we have a very limited supply of.

Kabu is cute, rain is still borked. Definitely appreciates no Seis but we obtained a Quagsire since it rose. Rise in Magneton usage might help it in by making Ferroseed riskier to run??

Finally, WELCOME HOME FLETCH BABY YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED.

HUSH, NO TEARS NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)