No Ability Metagame!

Approved by Arcticblast

Hello! Unfixable here with another Metagame, this time, with No Abilities! Yep, some things have gotten quite the nerf, such as our lovable Azumarill and Medicham, even Diggersby as well! This metagame will all be reliant on stats, movepool, and item choice, with nothing stopping you from setting up Stealth Rock on Espeon or nothing preventing Alakazam to be hit by Stealth Rock! Because of the way Showdown is coded, mega evolutions will have an ability. To fix this, you will have to set the mega to its mega form in teambuilder and remove the item and ability, of course. To remove an ability (which you have to do on all Pokemon) you click on the ability and simply erase everything in the field. This is currently playable on Pandora and Lotus.
Abilities that will be missed:
Drizzle
Drought
Dry Skin
Flash Fire
Gale Wings
Harvest
Huge Power
Levitate
Magic Bounce
Magic Guard
Natural Cure
Protean
Pure Power
Sand Stream
Snow Warning
Sturdy
Swift Swim
Water Absorb
Unaware

Amongst other things!
Banned Pokemon:
- Regigigas
- Slaking
- Standard Ubers
Unbanned Pokemon:

- Aegislash
- Blaziken [NOT BLAZIKENITE!]
- Genesect
- Gengarite
- Kangaskhanite
- Lucarionite
- Mawilinite
- Shaymin-Sky
So, discuss how this metagame will be, what stuff will be unusable, what got nerfed the most, what gains from this nerf?

Last edited:
I'm assuming they're going to be banned, so I'm not going to think much of them.
Really, no pokemon really gain anything, but plenty of them lose it. Anything with Levitate is very sad, same with Prankster. Talonflame is still quite good because he's still blisteringly fast, but not quite as terrifying. Mold Breaker 'mons don't lose anything because there are no abilities to hit through...
Yeah, it'll be fun for balance, for sure.

Yeah, Shedinja is now completely and totally horrible.

Others include Azumarill, Meditite, Riolu, and Mega-Kangaskhan.

Things like Alakazam, Espeon, Dragonite, and even Bisharp are seriously nerfed in this metagame. Actually nearly all Pokemon rely on their ability in some way or another. Still, there are those few like Garchomp and Mandibuzz who can function fine without their abilities and it is logical to assume that they would have more usage.

I think this game could be playable via custom battle if you set all pokemon to have ability illuminate cause I recall that does nothing in battle.
But mega evolution would still give abilities I think so not sure

Garchomp is pretty much unaffected so I can see him getting lot of use.

I think this game could be playable via custom battle if you set all pokemon to have ability illuminate cause I recall that does nothing in battle.
But mega evolution would still give abilities I think so not sure

Garchomp is pretty much unaffected so I can see him getting lot of use.
I would think that setting it to the same no ability format that RBY uses would work.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
does archeops really need a ban right off the bat? he's clearly good, but he's frail and easy enough to revenge kill. i'm not sure he'd be overcentralising on the level that slaking or regigigas would.
The only reason Archeops was banned from AE, in my honest opinion, was Magic Guard Life Orb Head Smash. Without magic guard, I expect it to just be another aerodactyl clone with usable special attack :p

Things that are much worse without their abilities, in order that I think of them; Weather starters, Blaziken, Wobbuffet, Scizor, Espeon, Xatu, Ninjask, Scolipede, Absol-Mega, Gardevoir-Mega, Lucario-Mega, Gliscor, Clefable, Reuniclus, Pinsir-Mega...

Heck, Blaziken is now outclassed by Infernape.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Infernape was never a bad mon. It was already better than Blaziken in Gen IV when it debuted, Blaze only took the spotlight later, and now it reverted to it's old role. Ape was also never dependent on his ability.

Blaziken's much higher attack still gives it an option for bulky band sets, though.

Infernape was never a bad mon. It was already better than Blaziken in Gen IV when it debuted, Blaze only took the spotlight later, and now it reverted to it's old role. Ape was also never dependent on his ability.

Blaziken's much higher attack still gives it an option for bulky band sets, though.
SpartanMalice is correct. Blaziken was considered kind of a joke in 4th gen because Infernape thoroughly outclassed it. It still feels weird to me that Infernape is bashed now.

This kind of metagame interests me. I've wondered what would happen if new Pokemon were thrown into something like GSC.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I've always liked Infernape, I never understood why people bashed it. It reminds me of Goku.

In Gen V, it's use dropped because of Drizzle. Now since all that is gone...

Also Adman, may as well make the physical/special split the way it was before then. Not suggesting it for this meta, but that would be fun.

Fairy would of course be special. :)

I think Infernape's Japanese name was based on Son Goku, actually.

No Ability sounds like it's trying to recreate the first two gens, so reinstating "Physical/Special" based on type would be interesting.

Would Mega Gengar and Mega Kangaskhan be unbanned?
I'd support that because, without their abilities, they are just pretty good, and I think Blaziken should also be unbanned since it was only banned due to having Speed Boost.

Also, Archeops should be allowed, at least for the time being, because Mega-Lucario has better everything, except 5 less base HP, and a better type. Lucario gets Swords Dance to set up, while Archeops has to settle for Hone Claws. As far as moves go, Archeops has STABs in Acrobatics and Stone Edge, with coverage in Crunch, Earthquake, and Steel Wing, and utility in U-turn and Hone Claws. Lucario has STABs in Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Flash Cannon, and Bullet Punch, with coverage in Ice Punch, Crunch, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Poison Jab, and priority in Bullet Punch, Extreme Speed, Feint, Quick Attack, and Vacuum Wave, and utility in Swords Dance, Hone Claws, Nasty Plot, and Power-Up Punch.

That moment when you realize that Eviolite Doublade is superior to Aegislash...

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, just how WOULD Aegislash work in this OM? Without Stance Change, it can't shift form, but would you still be able to use Aegislash-Blade or not? Same with the Arceus forms, in a theoretical "Ubers" version of this OM.

So are these forms just unusable here? (In-game, Aegislash and Arceus are immune to Gastro Acid (which removes abilities) for this exact reason.)

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
ok guys, you've all been waiting for this(right?): this has been implemented on my server: http://kalos.psim.us

my friend asterat and I (named mega rhydon in one of our matches) tried out some matches) and some huge things to note:
1) aegislash cannot start out in blade form like arceus, it just doesn't work that way, it's pure ability change
2)this is a tried and true mechanic which i cannot change but: Due to the ways megas work, like if you skill swap an ability onto a kanga before it megas, it overrides the current ability with a mega, so char would mega into drought char Y, no ability pinsir into aerilate mega pinsir etc
3) pick an ability in the teambuilder, just do it, the way my format works it will remove your ability so don't worry

here are some replays ^_^:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/kalos-noabilityxy-122
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/kalos-noabilityxy-121

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)