Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I did some more sniffing around concerning the As One idea, and the more I look at it the more I'm convinced it will be completely unique from Inheritance. Yes, the act of attaching a movepool and ability to something with better stats does carry over, but it also shares characteristics from Shared Power, Camomons, and Cross Evolution. With every "As One" pairing, you are trying to design an ideal type combo, with two synergizing abilities, using one mon with good stats and another with good movepool. It's quite the feat and possibilities are endless. There is so much potential for sets that haven't been done before in other OMs.

I do still think that with so many components to be combined and synergized, there need to be some limits on what can be carried over. Namely:
  1. There should be a rule on which pokemon is the Rider and which one is the Steed (final stats are from the Steed, but buffed). My idea was that the one with the higher BST would always be the Steed, following the precedent with Calyrex and the horses, but we would still need a rule for resolving who is the Steed if they have the same BST. I think it is simplest to just not allow them to merge if they share the same BST--you wouldn't see a horse riding another horse, would you? Otherwise we could come up with something random, like the Steed is the one with the lower Pokedex #, but that feels too arbitrary.
  2. I think the meta will get too complicated if there is too much freedom to choose abilities. If you do get any choice at all, there needs to be a rule on which pokemon (the Steed or the Rider) automatically gives its primary ability and which one gives you a choice. Being able to pick the ability from the Rider is probably more interesting. However this still creates a ton of meta complexity when you're already combining types and movepools a la Cross Evolution and stacking abilities a la Shared Power. There is also no precedent for ability choice from Calyrex + Glastrier/Spectrier. For this reason I think that both pokemon should only ever be able to pass their primary ability. There are a few downsides to this, namely reducing/losing access to certain abilities that are mostly/entirely granted through the secondary/hidden ability slots, such as Drizzle and Drought, but overall I think this simpler ruleset will make a cleaner meta that still has more than enough options.
To prove my point that there are tons of exciting combinations even with this restricted ruleset, I have compiled a list of possible Steeds and Riders with the typing and ability that they contribute.

Steeds with Useful Abilities
These pokemon all have 600 BST, thus would almost always be Steeds
There are several other Steeds that can be well-utilized for typing, movepool, and stats, but have less useful abilities such as Pressure
:Mew: Psychic, Synchronize (used for movepool more than ability)
:Victini: Psychic, Victory Star
:Cresselia: Psychic, Levitate
:Latias:/:Latios: Dragon, Levitate
:Hydreigon: Dark, Levitate
:Dragapult: Dragon, Clear Body
:Kommo-o: Dragon, Bulletproof
:Salamence: Dragon, Intimidate
:Genesect: Bug, Download
:Volcanion: Fire, Water Absorb
:Heatran: Fire, Flash Fire
:Jirachi: Steel, Serene Grace
:Magearna: Steel, Soul Heart
:Metagross: Steel, Clear Body
:Landorus-Therian: Ground, Intimidate
:Tyranitar: Rock, Sand Stream
:Zeraora: Electric, Volt Absorb
:Goodra: Dragon, Sap Sipper

Steeds/Riders with Useful Abilities
These pokemon have 580-570 BST, so they can easily be either Riders or Steeds
There are several others that can be utilized for typing, movepool, or stats, but have less useful abilities
:Tornadus-Therian: Flying, Regenerator
:Tornadus: Flying, Prankster
:Thundurus: Electric, Prankster
:Thundurus-Therian: Electric, Volt Absorb
:Azelf:/:Uxie: Psychic, Levitate
:Articuno-Galar: Psychic, Competitive
:Zapdos-Galar: Fighting, Defiant
:Blacephalon: Fire, Beast Boost
:Buzzwole:/:Pheromosa: Bug, Beast Boost
:Celesteela: Steel, Beast Boost
:Kartana: Grass, Beast Boost
:Nihilego:/:Stakataka: Rock, Beast Boost
:Xurkitree: Electric, Beast Boost
:Guzzlord: Dark, Beast Boost
:Tapu Bulu: Grass, Grassy Surge
:Tapu Lele: Psychic, Psychic Surge
:Tapu Koko: Electric, Electric Surge
:Tapu Fini: Water, Misty Surge

Riders that provide an offensive boost (some of these can be Steeds)
:Porygon-Z: Normal, Adaptability
:Urshifu:/:Urshifu-Rapid Strike: Fighting, Unseen Fist
:Naganadel: Poison, Beast Boost
:Toxtricity: Electric, Punk Rock
:Copperajah: Steel, Sheer Force
:Darmanitan: Fire, Sheer Force
:Barbaracle:/:Lycanroc-Dusk: Rock, Tough Claws
:Conkeldurr:/:Machamp:/:Throh: Fighting, Guts
:Aurorus: Rock, Refrigerate
:Malamar: Dark, Contrary
:Ninjask: Bug, Speed Boost
:Araquanid: Water, Water Bubble
:Wailord: Water, Water Veil
:Togekiss: Fairy, Hustle
:Corsola: Water, Hustle
:Doublade: Steel, No Guard
:Galvantula:/:Butterfree: Bug, Compound Eyes
:Tyrantrum: Rock, Strong Jaw
:Boltund: Electric, Strong Jaw
:Drednaw: Water, Strong Jaw
:Dhelmise: Ghost, Steelworker
:Zoroark: Dark, Illusion
:Bisharp: Dark, Defiant
:Raichu-Alola: Electric, Surge Surfer
:Dunsparce: Normal, Serene Grace

Riders that offer defensive or supportive abilities (some can be Steeds)
:Arcanine: Fire, Intimidate
:Gyarados: Water, Intimidate
:Krookodile: Ground, Intimidate
:Stoutland:/:Tauros: Normal, Intimidate
:Hitmontop: Fighting, Intimidate
:Persian-Alola: Dark, Fur Coat
:Bewear:/:Dubwool: Normal, Fluffy
:Blissey: Normal, Natural Cure
:Roserade: Grass, Natural Cure
:Altaria: Dragon, Natural Cure
:Trevenant: Ghost, Natural Cure
:Ferrothorn: Grass, Iron Barbs
:Druddigon: Dragon, Rough Skin
:Sharpedo: Water, Rough Skin
:Volcarona: Bug, Flame Body
:Magmortar:/:Talonflame: Fire, Flame Body
:Electabuzz:/:Raichu:/:Manectric:/:Emolga: Electric, Static
:Stunfisk: Ground, Static
:Grimmsnarl: Dark, Prankster
:Whimsicott: Grass, Prankster
:Klefki: Steel, Prankster
:Salazzle: Poison, Corrosion
:Magnezone: Electric, Magnet Pull

Riders that provide immunity (some of these can be Steeds)
:Rotom: Electric, Levitate
:Flygon: Ground, Levitate
:Cryogonal: Ice, Levitate
:Bronzong: Steel, Levitate
:Claydol: Ground, Levitate
:Vikavolt: Bug, Levitate
:Weezing:/:Weezing-Galar: Poison, Levitate
:Lunatone:/:Solrock: Rock, Levitate
:Haunter: Ghost, Levitate
:Lapras:/:Vaporeon:/:Poliwrath::Politoed:/:Dracovish:/:Arctovish:/:Jellicent: Water, Water Absorb
:Heliolisk: Electric, Dry Skin
:Maractus: Grass, Water Absorb
:Jolteon:/:Dracozolt:/:Arctozolt: Electric, Volt Absorb
:Lanturn: Water, Volt Absorb
:Electivire: Electric, Motor Drive
:Pincurchin: Electric, Lightning Rod
:Centiskorch:/:Flareon:/:Ninetales: Fire, Flash Fire
:Chandelure: Ghost, Flash Fire

Riders that are primarily added for typing or movepool, but still offer an ability with situational use
:Milotic: Water, Marvel Scale
:Tentacruel: Water, Clear Body
:Toxapex: Poison, Merciless
:Shuckle:/:Crustle: Bug, Sturdy
:Aggron:/:Skarmory: Steel, Sturdy
:Gigalith: Rock, Sturdy
:Sawk: Fighting, Sturdy
:Gengar: Ghost, Cursed Body
:Froslass: Ice, Cursed Body
:Marowak-Alola: Fire, Cursed Body
:Cradily: Rock, Suction Cups
:Octillery: Water, Suction Cups
:Pangoro: Fighting, Iron Fist
:Golurk: Ground, Iron Fist
:Gastrodon: Water, Sticky Hold
:Slowbro:/:Slowking:/:Whiscash: Water, Oblivious
:Mamoswine:/:Jynx: Ice, Oblivious
:Eldegoss: Grass, Cotton Down
:Pyukumuku: Water, Innards Out
:Scrafty: Dark, Shed Skin
:Pupitar: Rock, Shed Skin
:Dragonair: Dragon, Shed Skin
:Aerodactyl:/:Onix:/:Sudowoodo: Rock, Rock Head
:Marowak:/:Rhydon: Ground, Rock Head
:Steelix: Steel, Rock Head
:Shelgon: Dragon, Rock Head

To show the vast potential of these pokemon in action, let's look at a few example combinations for one pokemon:
We all know from Skarmory, Celesteela, and Corvknight what an awesome defensive typing Steel/Flying is, and in this, we can create multiple exciting versions by crossing Tornadus-T--a pokemon with Regenerator in the primary slot--with a Steel pokemon. Let's look at some options using Tornadus-Therian as a Steed:

:ss/Tornadus-Therian: + :Copperajah:/:Doublade:/:Klefki:
Stats: 79/120/100/130/110/141
Typing: Steel/Flying
Ability1: Regenerator

:Tornadus-Therian:+:Copperajah:
Sheer Force + Life Orb
Movepool Options boosted by SF: Flash Cannon/Iron Head, Air Slash/Hurricane, Heat Wave, Earth Power, Play Rough, Rock Slide, Sludge Wave, Additional Options not boosted by SF: U-turn, Heat Crash, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Brick Break/Superpower,
By using Copperajah as a Rider, Torn can deal impressive damage while simultaneously having great longevity from its typing and Regenerator

:Tornadus-Therian:+:Doublade:
No Guard, Leftovers or Choice Specs
Movepool Options boosted by NG: Hurricane, Steel Beam, Iron Tail, Heat Wave, Focus Blast, Rock Slide, Toxic
Another approach for dealing high damage from a defensive typing. It can choose to err on the defensive side to make use of fully accurate Toxics and confusion chance from reliable Hurricane, or take a wall-breaking approach. It can even use Steel Beam as a nuke that it can largely recover from thanks to Regen.

:Tornadus-Therian:+:Klefki:
Prankster, Leftovers
Priority Support Options: Spikes, Defog, Substitute, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Switcheroo
With Klefki, Torn-T can fully lean into its defensive capabilities to make use of a multitude of priority supporting moves.

Now let's look at a set with Tornadus-Therian as the Rider

:ss/Jirachi::Tornadus-Therian:
Stats: 100/120/120/120/120/120
Typing: Flying/Steel
Ability1: Serene Grace
Ability2: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- U-turn
I made a set this time to demonstrate a specific role-- with Torn-T riding on Jirachi, it can pass large Wishes to its teammates while healing itself due to Regenerator, while also having the potential to be obnoxious through Serene Grace Iron Head.

Finally, there are also some Pokemon that may present programming problems in As One. Some rules or restrictions may be needed for these.
:Porygon2: Normal, Trace
:Aegislash: Steel, Stance Change
:Cofagrigus: Ghost, Mummy
:Runerigus: Ground, Wandering Spirit
:Mimikyu: Ghost, Disguise
:Cramorant: Flying, Gulp Missile
:Morpeko: Electric, Hunger Switch
:Eiscue: Ice, Ice Face

EDIT: This is fairly minor, but if this OM gets approved, a decision would also need to be made on how the As One pairing is displayed on Showdown. I think that if showdown can only show the image of one pokemon, it would actually be the Rider that gets displayed, since the two official pairings are both referred to as forms of Calyrex, rather than forms of the Steed, even though the stats are based on Glastrier/Spectrier.
Nice 500th post in the thread.

Anyways, from what I’m seeing, this just seems like Frantic Fusions, but without the stat averaging.
And an Elephant riding a Bird that is less than 1/2th its height and less than 1/10th its weight.

I think it would be interesting if Height and Weight played a factor in compatible riders.
In game, the heights and weights of these 3 and Calyrex’s forms are
Calyrex: Height: 1.1 m |  Weight: 7.7 kg
Glastier: Height: 2.2 m |  Weight: 800 kg
Spectrier: Height: 2 m |  Weight: 44.5 kg
Calyrex-Ice: Height: 2.4 m |  Weight: 809.1 kg
Calyrex-Shadow: Height: 2.4 m |  Weight: 53.6 kg
Here, Calyrex is x0.55 the height of Spectrier, and weighs x0.173~ as Spectrier.

I think an interesting restriction would be making it so the Rider must me 60% or less than the height of the Steed, and also be 50% of less the weight of the Steed.
Height is, to my knowledge, a complete non-factor in Competitive Play, so it would be nice for a Metagame where Height matters.

How does the system decide that the stats are based on Lanturn + 20 rather than Azumarill + 20?
I was thinking it would work like Cross Evolution, except here one is the nickname of the other. I'm not sure which way around it should be though.
Also, why do you automatically get the primary ability from one but a choice from the other, and how do you decide which? Would it make more sense to just get the primaries of each (even if that makes it harder to get cool combos)? If you want to maintain some element of choice, maybe you should use the BST to decide that as well.
You get to choose one Ability in the teambuilder. If it's the rider's Ability, then the other Ability is the ridee's primary Ability, otherwise the Ability you choose needs to be the ridee's Ability, in which case the other Ability is the rider's Ability. But I would be open to only allowing the choice of the rider's Ability.
Maybe have 20% of user's base stats (rounded down)? Caly has 80 in each non HP stat and having different base stats would be nice. +20 in every base stat doesn't change much,
I didn't want to penalise weak riders.
Finally, there are also some Pokemon that may present programming problems in As One. Some rules or restrictions may be needed for these.
:Porygon2: Normal, Trace
:Cofagrigus: Ghost, Mummy
:Runerigus: Ground, Wandering Spirit
As One should ignore these, but it would be slightly easier to program them to work on the Ability that was chosen in the teambuilder.
:Aegislash: Steel, Stance Change
:Mimikyu: Ghost, Disguise
:Cramorant: Flying, Gulp Missile
:Morpeko: Electric, Hunger Switch
:Eiscue: Ice, Ice Face
These would work only on either the rider or ridee, or maybe they should not work at all.
I think that if showdown can only show the image of one pokemon, it would actually be the Rider that gets displayed, since the two official pairings are both referred to as forms of Calyrex, rather than forms of the Steed, even though the stats are based on Glastrier/Spectrier.
While that would be nice, I think it would be better if you knew from the team preview what the stats were going to be, which would mean displaying the ridee. (This would also mean that the ridee would have the rider's nickname, and that its forme-changing Ability could be enabled.)

As for limitations on rider and ridee (e.g. BST, weight, height), these are all interesting, and if one was chosen, then I think my preference would be for the height.

Metagame premise: Pokemon can give up an item slot for a non-native ability.
Potential bans and threats: Libero+Adaptability could be a serious threat. Merciless+Sniper could be dangerous too. Simple+Contrary could be deadly. Fur Coat+Ice Scales makes a defensive beast. Shedinja could pull off Wonder Guard+Magic Guard for a gimmicky set.
Questions for the community: How exactly do you think this meta would play out?

What unsettles me about the "As One" proposed metagame is that, by adding a suspected below-UU rider (Calyrex) to a suspected OU/OUBL ridee (Spectrier), we get a likely Uber (Calyrex-Shadow - it's quite possibly primarily because of Calyrex-Shadow's signature move that it's borderline AG and drawing flak from Ubers players for being a touch too hard to deal with). I'm thinking of this to even out the power level of the metagame: Ubers-based, but Ubers cannot be ridees. How balanced would Uber riders be in comparison?

Additionally, how much of the actual As One abilities' functionality should be replicated in the "As One" metagame? More specifically, should the fused abilities be unable to be Skill Swapped off, suppressed by Neutralizing Gas, etc. (as detailed in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sword-shield-battle-mechanics-research.3655528/post-8635891)?

Totalius: Depending on where you are placed in your party, one of your stats are doubled.
Slot 1 - HP
Slot 2 - Attack
Slot 3 - Defense
Slot 4 - Special Attack
Slot 5 - Special Defense
Slot 6 - Speed

I could see Blissey being a major threat, having MAJOR BULK with 510 base HP. Chansey also could be a huge threat, pairing with eviolite with 500 HP. Huge Power Pokemon would get a kick out of their attack being double boosted.

How should I handle pokemon with high bulk or attack stats?
Remember this idea I pitched 20 days ago? I have built on it, so that pokemon that have evolved already, and still can evolve (NFE's) are the only pokemon that can get their stats doubled. For this one, I hope that all NFE's can be used (national dex) in this meta.

Aditionally, how much of the actual As One abilities' functionality should be replicated in the "As One" metagame? More specifically, should the fused abilities be unable to be Skill Swapped off, suppressed by Neutralizing Gas, etc. (as detailed in https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sword-shield-battle-mechanics-research.3655528/post-8635891)?
Skill swap isn't an issue as you swap 2 abilities for 2 abilities. Neutralising gas suppress all the abilities of all pokemons, I don't see why it shouldn't work in this metagame. For moves that suppress abilities I don't think they are used often so I guess they wouldn't be broken

Skill swap isn't an issue as you swap 2 abilities for 2 abilities. Neutralising gas suppress all the abilities of all pokemons, I don't see why it shouldn't work in this metagame. For moves that suppress abilities I don't think they are used often so I guess they wouldn't be broken
Whether we have issues implementing Skill Swap, etc. for As One abilities was not my main concern. My main concern is how well we should replicate the existing Calyrex-Rider forms' functionality in the "As One" metagame, right down to how well we should be able to copy Calyrex-Shadow by putting a Calyrex on a Spectrier. (I'd definitely stop short of adding new moves.)

I feel like all the good OM ideas have been used already. As One is a good one, and I really hope it gets accepted. But anyways, I thought long and hard of what a good meta could be, and then I got this (this took me 2 days):

Each non-legendary/mythical pokemon gets an Legendary/Mythical pokemon as their essence, even if they are not is SW/SH. The pokemon adds/replaces their secondary typing, get access to their movepool, their ability set is added on, (meaning they have more abilities to choose from) and each of their base stats divided in 2 (rounded down) is added on to the regular pokemon's stats. For example, here is a Sylveon with the essence of a Mewtwo:

Mewtwo (Sylveon)
Type: Fairy-Psychic
New Stats: 148/120/110/187/175/125
Usable Abilities: Cute Charm, Pixilate, Pressure & Unnerve.

I could see Kyrurem-White Essence Xurkitree blitzing through the meta, with a base 130 speed, and a blistering 258 Special Attack! HOLY S**T!!!

On the defensive/stall side, Tapu Fini Essence Blissey does well, having access to Nature's Madness, a great move cutting down HP. Its stats are good, 67 defense is horrible but it has 255 HP and an excellent 200 Special Defense. But this meta turned Blissey into a usable Special Attacker, having 122 base Special Attack. You could also do something similar with Tapu Fini Essence Chansey with Eviolite, maxing out its HP. 62 defense is horrible, but it gets Eviolite which makes it usable. It also has 170 Special Defense, which becomes a BEAST defensively with that eviolite. It might be better than Blissey. A stall set could include:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport/Seismic Toss

My question for the public is: Do you think that the multiplier is too large? Also, Should Ultra Beasts count as legendaries?
Do you think this would be a balanced metagame?

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you gonna say have a good day after you rudely mocked me? The nerve. Is is that hard to show kindness? Like, think before you speak/type. You never know who you are talking to, or what they are going through. A-knee-ways, I feel like all the good OM ideas have been used already. As One is a good one, and I really hope it gets accepted. But anyways, I thought long and hard of what a good meta could be, and then I got this (this took me 2 days):

Each non-legendary/mythical pokemon gets an Legendary/Mythical pokemon as their essence, even if they are not is SW/SH. The pokemon adds/replaces their secondary typing, get access to their movepool, their ability set is added on, (meaning they have more abilities to choose from) and each of their base stats divided in 2 (rounded down) is added on to the regular pokemon's stats. For example, here is a Sylveon with the essence of a Mewtwo:

Mewtwo (Sylveon)
Type: Fairy-Psychic
New Stats: 148/120/110/187/175/125
Usable Abilities: Cute Charm, Pixilate, Pressure & Unnerve.

I could see Kyrurem-White Essence Xurkitree blitzing through the meta, with a base 130 speed, and a blistering 258 Special Attack! HOLY S**T!!!

On the defensive/stall side, Tapu Fini Essence Blissey does well, having access to Nature's Madness, a great move cutting down HP. Its stats are good, 67 defense is horrible but it has 255 HP and an excellent 200 Special Defense. But this meta turned Blissey into a usable Special Attacker, having 122 base Special Attack. You could also do something similar with Tapu Fini Essence Chansey with Eviolite, maxing out its HP. 62 defense is horrible, but it gets Eviolite which makes it usable. It also has 170 Special Defense, which becomes a BEAST defensively with that eviolite. It might be better than Blissey. A stall set could include:

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nature's Madness
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Teleport/Seismic Toss

My question for the public is: Do you think that the multiplier is too large? Also, Should Ultra Beasts count as legendaries?
Do you think this would be a balanced metagame?
Although I'm not the most capable pokemon battler out there, I'll try to review all of your ideas so far in this post. But seriously, please try to first discuss your ideas with your friends or players you look up to or do some research before posting. It really feels like you're just flooding this thread with whatever concoction your mind comes up. As you'll see, most of your ideas aren't that unique or fun, heck most are submitted rather often.

First of your essence idea. To me it sounds like inheritance but with some stat shenanigans. Furthermore the choice of limiting 'essences' to mythical and legendary pokemon is arbitrairy. Some mythical pokemon aren't all that powerful and neither are all legendaries. take silvally for example, it currently resides in PUBL or celebi which is in UU. Some non-mythical/legendary pokemon turned out to be broken (speed boost blaziken the past few gens or pre-DLC2 cinderace). Mythical/legendary is just an adjective some pokemon received for story reasons. It doesn't tell you anything about a pokemons strength.

Remember this idea I pitched 20 days ago? I have built on it, so that pokemon that have evolved already, and still can evolve (NFE's) are the only pokemon that can get their stats doubled. For this one, I hope that all NFE's can be used (national dex) in this meta.
Both this and the original idea fall under "huge power is so cool" in the commonly rejected ideas. the original idea (totalius) will lead to either a stallfest or offense extravaganza depending on the banlist. This just can't be balanced.

Your "rework" doesn't fix things either. It isn't enough to bring most NFE mons up to par with the OU mons and the few that do manage to come up on top are likely to be absolutely broken (scyther, sneasel or chansey for example) and once those are banned there really isn't any difference with OU.

Metagame premise: Pokemon can give up an item slot for a non-native ability.

Potential bans and threats: Libero+Adaptability could be a serious threat. Merciless+Sniper could be dangerous too. Simple+Contrary could be deadly. Fur Coat+Ice Scales makes a defensive beast. Shedinja could pull off Wonder Guard+Magic Guard for a gimmicky set.

Questions for the community: How exactly do you think this meta would play out?
I don't really see any reason to play this over shared power. It kinda does the same in my opinion. Shared power is quite a bit more zany admittedly but if anything that makes it more fun and allows for more depth in teambuilding and battling itself. This feels like some sort of shallow knock-off tbh.

Most Everything is in the style of Gen 1.

Fairy is now a special type.

The "Special" stat is the average of your Special Attack & Special Defense (unless it was introduced in Gen 1, then it gets that special stat)

Umm...idk.

Would this even WORK?
To answer your question, no this wouldn't work. There are way too many arbitrary decisions to be made here. How do we treat fairy types? How do we treat steel and dark types? What about critical hits? EVs and IVs? etc. Just like the OP says, if you can't describe the metagame premise in a single sentence, you should go back to the drawing board. "Just like Gen 1" might be a single sentence but there are way too many nuances once you go past that sentence.

Made an edit, what do you think everyone?
Evolution connection, sounds like a fun and novel idea however I don't think it would change much for OU so unfortunately it wouldn't quite work.

Reverse, I think it was said before in the thread but this is just a tiermons clone. Just a different formula. Maybe some of the best mons in the meta might be different from tiermons but I doubt that matters much since the mechanic is so similar.

Item share, I think that it technically falls under "Hoarding" in the commonly rejected ideas. The main issue here (I think) is that most items don't really do much. you'd most likely have teams either with triple choice, LO, HDB and expert belt or something or teams without choice items. Unlike Shared power there just aren't enough viable otions to invite diverse teambuilding and experimentation. Try naming some viable items and then some viable abilities. You'll probably find that one is notably shorter than the other.

Living on the edge, I don't feel like I'm qualified to judge this but in my opinion it doesn't really change the game much? I don't think you'll actively try to lower your HP since the options are way to unreliable (black sludge for example only removes 6% per turn) and your opponent most likely will attack you leaving you even less likely to survive. You might see an uptick in the use of recoil moves but furthermore I think it just isn't interesting enough.

Struggling, try to ask yourself these questions: "why would people play my meta?" "how does it stand out?" "is it interesting enough?". This meta will be monotous and boring. There is only one undisputable best team composition and you will never diviate from it. Why would you even? There are no threats to beat. You just have to survive the longest so lefties + low attacking stats is the way to go. Furthermore metas that restrict the player usually aren't popular. Why would I play this extremely restrictive meta over for example balanced hackmons where I can have a tail glow groudon use eruption?

Super room, wonder room and magic room don't really do anything and well if I want slow mons to go fast, why wouldn't I just try to use a trick room team in regular OU?

I believe that is everything. I hope I helped you out with this and maybe you might be able to think of a very cool and interesting idea next! Just make sure to properly think it through, look it up a bit to check whether it's actually unique (I swear I've seen genwunner variants before in this thread) and bounce it off to someone so they can point out things you might not have seen. An OM should not only be fun, it should be engaging and, in a way, change how the game is played. If it's too similar to another OM, it doesn't really "change" the game anymore because then we already have that "change".

Metagame: Tier Wars

The number of Pokemon on your team depends on your tier.

2 Pokemon: AG
3 Pokemon: OU
4 Pokemon: RU
5 Pokemon: PU
6 Pokemon: NFE

Questions:
Does the idea of a couple of strong Pokemon against many weak Pokemon sound appealing?
Is separating by tiers a good way to balance different number of Pokemon per team?

Metagame: Tier Wars

The number of Pokemon on your team depends on your tier.

2 Pokemon: AG
3 Pokemon: OU
4 Pokemon: RU
5 Pokemon: PU
6 Pokemon: NFE

Questions:
Does the idea of a couple of strong Pokemon against many weak Pokemon sound appealing?
Is separating by tiers a good way to balance different number of Pokemon per team?
calyrex-shadow steams just about everything and zac-c's in the back
there is minimal point to using lower tiers because the higher tier mons destroy them

calyrex-shadow steams just about everything and zac-c's in the back
there is minimal point to using lower tiers because the higher tier mons destroy them
There are ways around calyrex-shadow like Sucker Punch or Focush Sash.

Anyways, would you like a similar idea but balanced differently?

Mediocremons

Metagame premise: All Pokemon with base stats >100 are allowed, Meaning Pokemon who dont have a base stat over 100 are allowed
this metagame would allow people to use mainly undesired mons with bad stats actually usable with no changes to movepools or stats. Pokemon with base 95 in any stat is the best stat to have and Eviolite will be common on certain mons.

Potential bans and threats: Clefable, Kingdra, Nidoqueen, Diggersby are the mons that come to mind with this Criteria that come off as overly powered

Questions for the community: Do you guys think this is a fun concept? this was played in gen 7 and i would love to bring it back since i have a passion for this and want to bring attention

Last edited:
Mediocremons

Metagame premise: All Pokemon with base stats >100 are allowed, Meaning Pokemon who dont have a base stat over 100 are allowed
this metagame would allow people to use mainly undesired mons with bad stats actually usable with no changes to movepools or stats. Pokemon with base 95 in any stat is the best stat to have and Eviolite will be common on certain mons.

Potential bans and threats: Clefable, Kingdra, Nidoqueen, Diggersby are the mons that come to mind with this Criteria that come off as overly powered

Questions for the community: Do you guys think this is a fun concept? this was played in gen 7 and i would love to bring it back since i have a passion for this and want to bring attention
I played it last gen and enjoyed it--would play it again if it's reapproved. Thievul, Cramorant, and Morpeko are all fun new additions that would really thrive here.

Pokemon 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6 are deeply in love. They are so in sync that whenever one of them is sent out, the other is basically sent out too. Each of the base stats are added together, their abilities are activated at the same time. But when one faints, so does the other. The moveset is of the pokemon that is sent out. This is an OU metagame.

Playing defense, Eviolite Chansey does the lovers tango with Shuckle. They are SO invincible that they might have to break up! (be banned) Their stall tactics will rule over them all! With a base 255 HP, 235 defense & 255 Special Defense, these pokemon wall the meta!
Playing Offense, Lucario does the lovers tango with Regieleki. They are wallbreakers, with one Thunderbolt dealing big damage with Adaptability & Transistor! But Electro ball can do 450 base damage to a pokemon that cannot outspeed this dancing duo!

Should I ban genderless pokemon from mating?
Should I stack STAB?
This took me 5 days to refine lol.

Pokemon 1+2, 3+4, and 5+6 are deeply in love. They are so in sync that whenever one of them is sent out, the other is basically sent out too. Each of the base stats are added together, their abilities are activated at the same time. But when one faints, so does the other. The moveset is of the pokemon that is sent out. This is an OU metagame.

Playing defense, Eviolite Chansey does the lovers tango with Shuckle. They are SO invincible that they might have to break up! (be banned) Their stall tactics will rule over them all! With a base 255 HP, 235 defense & 255 Special Defense, these pokemon wall the meta!
Playing Offense, Lucario does the lovers tango with Regieleki. They are wallbreakers, with one Thunderbolt dealing big damage with Adaptability & Transistor! But Electro ball can do 450 base damage to a pokemon that cannot outspeed this dancing duo!

Should I ban genderless pokemon from mating?
Should I stack STAB?
This took me 5 days to refine lol.
I like the premise
I don't think stacking stabs makes sense
And genderless can still love people, maybe in more of a friend to friend relationship rather than bf gf

Here are some more banned mons- Shedinja (obv)
Water Bubble + Adaptability/ Water Bubble Fishy Rend
The zolts with their bolt beak, now being mixed with regieleki, giving them max speed transister boosted 170 BP moves
Skill Link + Technician
Super Luck + Sniper

If I were to change anything, it would be to make the stats addition not an addition, but something weaker, because I think we're going to see a lot of maxed out stats.

If I were to change anything, it would be to make the stats addition not an addition, but something weaker, because I think we're going to see a lot of maxed out stats.
What if both of the Stats were halved (rounded down) and then added up?

I had a really bad idea for a meta that will probably be hilarious for 10 minutes and then solved within 2 hours. So I'll just dump it here for you to enjoy those 10 minutes of theorying.
Monomons
Clauses: Standard OU Clauses except Species Clause.
Inverted Species Clause: Your entire team must share the same Dex number.

So this is basically Monotype taken to the extreme, minus a lot of freedom to adapt to weaknesses. Some sample threats I thought of:
Excadrill Hyper Sand Offense
Lead+Defensive Sand Setter+Sand Force Wallbreaker+3 Sand Rush Sweepers=yep. Probably broken.
Toxapex Stall
This is basically:Does your opponent's mon take Poison damage? If yes, win, if no, spam Scald.
Rotom Balance/Bulky Offense
Yes, Rotom doesn't autolose to a single mon clicking an SE move by virtue of its forms!
Dragonite Hyper Offense
This is basically that 6 EKiller AG meme, but to OU power level.
Aegislash Bulky Offense
Have you ever felt frustrated by your opponent having the correct check for your particular Aegi set when any other set won from preview? Well, worry no more. You can now use all the Aegi sets until something wins... Actually on second thoughts worry a lot this just invalidates things lol.
Magearna Hyper/Bulky Offense
WTF have you see this thing's movepool lately?? It even gets screens.
Corviknight Balance/Semi-Stall
Excadrill counterpick wooo. Oh yeah Bulk Up is a set. As is Double Dance Power Trip. Huh. This is not terrible. Great stall matchup and Drill matchup... Huh.

I don't have time to run a meta I just thought this would be funny to share.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
I had a really bad idea for a meta that will probably be hilarious for 10 minutes and then solved within 2 hours. So I'll just dump it here for you to enjoy those 10 minutes of theorying.
Monomons

So this is basically Monotype taken to the extreme, minus a lot of freedom to adapt to weaknesses. Some sample threats I thought of:
Lead+Defensive Sand Setter+Sand Force Wallbreaker+3 Sand Rush Sweepers=yep. Probably broken.
Toxapex Stall
This is basically:Does your opponent's mon take Poison damage? If yes, win, if no, spam Scald.
Yes, Rotom doesn't autolose to a single mon clicking an SE move by virtue of its forms!
Dragonite Hyper Offense
Aegislash Bulky Offense
Have you ever felt frustrated by your opponent having the correct check for your particular Aegi set when any other set won from preview? Well, worry no more. You can now use all the Aegi sets until something wins... Actually on second thoughts worry a lot this just invalidates things lol.
Excadrill counterpick wooo. Oh yeah Bulk Up is a set. As is Double Dance Power Trip. Huh. This is not terrible. Great stall matchup and Drill matchup... Huh.

I think there's two possible outcomes that this metagame will go towards

1: Everyone spams varying forms of HO to try and cheese matchups as quickly as possible
2: Clefable

Sounds awful we should make it happen. Already thinking about some really funny Slowbro teams.

Monomons

Toxapex Stall
Dragonite Hyper Offense
Aegislash Bulky Offense

Just one word: dragapult offense. This seems one of the best pick. Mew also can be very good

I think there's two possible outcomes that this metagame will go towards

1: Everyone spams varying forms of HO to try and cheese matchups as quickly as possible
2: Clefable

Sounds awful we should make it happen. Already thinking about some really funny Slowbro teams.
Why yes sir, you are allowed to run Slowbro and Glowbro on the same team, possibly resulting in anything from Regen spam stall to fun TR, but why would you when you can run 6 Quickbros?:psysly:
Also Clef hard loses to Magearna offense and probably Drill offense, both of which are nothing short of godly, but 6 Clefable Stall sounds like the logical way to continue the progression of the Gen 8 metagame, so I'll have to quickban both of those threats.:psywoke:
Just one word: dragapult offense. This seems one of the best pick. Mew also can be very good
Yep, Dragapult. As long as it lives the setup turn anyway. Otherwise you're just clicking specs-boosted moves. Banded Pult as a cleaner for non-Fairy/Steel teams sounds like an actual pick, and Scarf Pult is an unholy abomination that has already taken the Monotype metagame to unheard-of levels of cursed. So therefore it's mandatory. Lack of hazard removal might end up biting against stall, if that ends up existing at all lol, and status spread just isn't working because Pult is too frail.
You'd think Mew would be good, but some nasty weaknessses, 4MSS, no useful Ability and a mediocre Speed tier all leave a lot to be desired. Sure, when you go up against Mew you don't know if it's Lead+5 Sweepers or Stall, but it's pretty bad at both.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Why yes sir, you are allowed to run Slowbro and Glowbro on the same team, possibly resulting in anything from Regen spam stall to fun TR, but why would you when you can run 6 Quickbros?:psysly:
Also Clef hard loses to Magearna offense and probably Drill offense, both of which are nothing short of godly, but 6 Clefable Stall sounds like the logical way to continue the progression of the Gen 8 metagame, so I'll have to quickban both of those threats.:psywoke:
Joking aside I was more referring to how the meta will either be super-offensive or face a slew of bans that make more balanced approaches possible - hence, Clefable.

I do think the best Pokemon in the long run are those which are super-adaptable to any situation, so anything with multiple forms is going to be interesting to look at, as well as Pokemon with great overall stats and typing. Rotom teams look really good due to sheer variety, Zapdos teams sound like a lot of fun, and if Dragapult really does take off then that'll be interesting to watch as Dragapult is literally its own biggest fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)