Megamons

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I am still voting ban cause idc. Reasoning here: post (not like it matters...)

After lets suspect the Mega Mewtwo's por favor.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
No Ban

Same as Zangooser. Also I find it very ironic that the argument in OM chat today turned out to actually be about unbanning Mega Gengar and not inconsistency with Mega Salamence. If Mega Gengar gets unbanned this community is going to lose its shit.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
No Ban

same as Jownage and Zangooser. Kinda a repetitive reason but it's what im sticking too

why is mega charizard y allowed to mega evolve into mega charizard x and vice versa? is this a bug and/or oversight or is this an intentional mechanic?

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
why is mega charizard y allowed to mega evolve into mega charizard x and vice versa? is this a bug and/or oversight or is this an intentional mechanic?
intended in-game-mechanic. megas are considered the "original forms" which means items the unmega can use, the mega can as well(barring its own stone which is likely "blacklisted" from that list so you cant infinitely mega evo.) hence why stuff like soul dew works, and why you can mega evolve into the other mega.

as for my vote, im not actually going to partake in the voting. not because i know its pointless(every vote counts) and i DO personally feel like its broken. but after thinking about it, dispite what i said about this meta not having to follow ubers ban philosophy, its probably better to follow it, so 1) the meta is more like ubers to not confuse new players, and 2) to potentially not have as many bans to the point that the metagame is pointless. in this regard, mega salamence is close to the border, but i personally dont know if its close enough. saying this just so people understand, i was talking if this was a "balanced" meta, which if so many people are against, understandably, that means my opinion of mence too, shifts, or rather, becomes out of my personal power, as i don't really know much about ubers. plus i want to spam mence more.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
Considering Giratina and Giratina-O are kind of shit... no.

Anybody want to unban everything?
How is Giratina-O shit? It's one of the best checks to EKiller/PDon/Blaziken/MMence (standard ubers tina-o physical defog set: +1 252 Atk Life Orb Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 248 Def Giratina-O: 364-429 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) among others and gets Defog. Giratina-A in general is bulky af, able to check Arceus. They might not be the best but they are certainly viable. As for whether Tina-O should be legal w/o Griseous Orb, I think it should. One could argue that it should just be Megas, but the Primals were legal without Orbs for a while (though now are banned and rightfully so) right? Giratina should be put in that same boat imo.

yes

Maleovex

Lt. Col. of The Kyergrzstan Killer Beez
How is Giratina-O shit? It's one of the best checks to EKiller/PDon/Blaziken/MMence (standard ubers tina-o physical defog set: +1 252 Atk Life Orb Aerilate Mega Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 248 Def Giratina-O: 364-429 (82.5 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) among others and gets Defog. Giratina-A in general is bulky af, able to check Arceus. They might not be the best but they are certainly viable. As for whether Tina-O should be legal w/o Griseous Orb, I think it should. One could argue that it should just be Megas, but the Primals were legal without Orbs for a while (though now are banned and rightfully so) right? Giratina should be put in that same boat imo.

yes
I think the difference is the fact that while this is an alternate forme, it is not an in-battle one, and also the Primals are Primal evolutions

I think the difference is the fact that while this is an alternate forme, it is not an in-battle one, and also the Primals are Primal evolutions
Well, technically primal reversions, but I take your point. Still, if you send a regular Giratina into battle with the griseous orb, its form changes.

yes
Shit is an overstatement, I wouldn't say its excellent though. Checking Arceus is neat, and probably checking Lucario as well, but the former isn't as used and the ladder can actually beat it depending on both sets. But alas, they have their issues. I'd say both forms struggle with being passive, but A form to a higher extent. It's utility basically starts and ends with Will o wisp, dragon tail and toxic/hex. So you're really just bait for a various of things, but Xerneas and Diancie mostly. It's really bulky but also somewhat of a sitting duck.

Giratina-O is way better than A, because it has levitate, allowing it to check all but SD or Dragon claw Primal groudon, Arceus forms ect. A lot of things actually, but it also holds the griseous orb being close to a free life orb for its stabs, and it's a lot less passive than A, being a threat to Xerneas atleast. Still losing, but not being complete fodder.

Lack of recovery is to big of a problem to overlook, resorting to the very unreliable Rest/Sleep talk, taking up half your moveset for a pokemon that already has 4MMS.

2 cents

Can we unban everything? Please, Primal, Gengar and Mega Rayquaza is fun lmao

If you were to allow Giratina-O to hold other items, at that point you'd also have to logically allow Arceus forms hold items other than their respective plates (from what I understand, both form changes manifest themselves only in battle, similar to Primals -- never had an Arceus in game, though, so don't quote me on that). Not going to lie, that sounds kind of cool, but I still wouldn't support either change. The premise of this metagame is in the title -- Megamons. Its about unrestricted Mega use, not unrestricted alternate form use. While "Almost Any Alternate Form" could be neat, it's a different OM.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
If you were to allow Giratina-O to hold other items, at that point you'd also have to logically allow Arceus forms hold items other than their respective plates (from what I understand, both form changes manifest themselves only in battle, similar to Primals -- never had an Arceus in game, though, so don't quote me on that). Not going to lie, that sounds kind of cool, but I still wouldn't support either change. The premise of this metagame is in the title -- Megamons. Its about unrestricted Mega use, not unrestricted alternate form use. While "Almost Any Alternate Form" could be neat, it's a different OM.
Basically the above. This isn't Megamons if you do stuff like Giratina-O.
then why were primals allowed to not use their stones at one point? they are completely different form changes. if they already broke that rule, this argument is pretty much invalid. despite agreeing with you guys that id rather not have origin form due to the premise of the meta, i want to bring this up, because primals are NOT mega evolution and they were an exception into it. they are forms SLIGHTLY similar to mega evolution(like, 40% similar for a numeral comparason), but they AREN'T mega evolution.

for comparason of stuff mega evolution as a form change itself does thats different,
mega evolution specificly gives:
100 bst total increase - primals DO gain 100. 1/5
manually mega evolve whenever during a battle.-primals don't do this
megas need mega stones to evolve-primals do this but with orbs instead so ill give half a point for a similar concept 1.5/5
megas have a "mega-" prefix- primals obviously do not have this but have a hybrid of this with "primal-". so another half point. 2/5
Restriction of 1 per team- not only do primals NOT have this, they have absolutely no restriction whatsoever. 2/5

those are the five main catigories that seperates megas from other forms, and primal evolution has roughly less then half of these. it annoys me that people think primals are variants of mega evolution because they don't have enough in common/have any correlation with eachother. they are just form changes that are inspired by mega evolution.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Credit to Betathunder, Chloe, Chopin Alkaninoff, DontStealMyPenguin, Dream Eater Gengar, FINITOOOO, Jordn, manu 11 and Whydon for creating the viability rankings.

Megamons Viability Rankings

S Rank
S

Mega Salamence
Primal Groudon

A Rank
A+

Lugia
Mega Slowbro
Mega Lucario
Mega Latios
Mega Latias
Mega Blaziken

A
Mega Diancie
Deoxys-Speed
Arceus-Ground
Arceus-Ghost
Xerneas
Arceus
Arceus-Steel
Mega Metagross
Ho-Oh
Mega Scizor
Darkrai

A-
Primal Kyogre
Rayquaza
Deoxys-Attack
Mewtwo
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Pinsir
Mega Kangaskhan
Klefki
Mega Alakazam
Arceus-Fairy
Giratina-O
Yveltal

B Rank
B+

Dialga
Excadrill
Skarmory
Shaymin-Sky
Mega Sableye
Arceus-Rock
Mega Mawile
Mega Aerodactyl
Mega Gardevoir
Mega Aggron

B
Bronzong
Jirachi
Zekrom
Mega Mewtwo X
Mega Manectric
Wobbuffet
Aegislash
Giratina
Mega Lopunny
Mega Medicham
Mega Venusaur
Mega Gengar
Mega Heracross
Mega Charizard X
Mega Garchomp

B-
Cloyster
Ferrothorn
Scolipede
Arceus-Dark
Arceus-Ice
Landorus-T
Mega Mewtwo Y
Mega Charizard Y
Greninja
Arceus-Dragon
Mega Beedrill

C Rank
C+

Mega Banette
Gothitelle
Clefable

C
Palkia
Chansey
Kyurem-White
Arceus-Grass
Mega Gyarados
Arceus-Electric
Arceus-Fighting
Arceus-Poison
Mega Houndoom

C-
Ditto
Landorus
Alomomola
Tentacruel

D Rank
D

Arceus-Bug
Arceus-Fire
Arceus-Flying
Arceus-Psychic
Deoxys
Deoxys-D
Genesect
Groudon
Kyogre
Reshiram
Flygon
Smeargle

Last edited:
then why were primals allowed to not use their stones at one point? they are completely different form changes. if they already broke that rule, this argument is pretty much invalid. despite agreeing with you guys that id rather not have origin form due to the premise of the meta, i want to bring this up, because primals are NOT mega evolution and they were an exception into it. they are forms SLIGHTLY similar to mega evolution(like, 40% similar for a numeral comparason), but they AREN'T mega evolution.

for comparason of stuff mega evolution as a form change itself does thats different,
mega evolution specificly gives:
100 bst total increase - primals DO gain 100. 1/5
manually mega evolve whenever during a battle.-primals don't do this
megas need mega stones to evolve-primals do this but with orbs instead so ill give half a point for a similar concept 1.5/5
megas have a "mega-" prefix- primals obviously do not have this but have a hybrid of this with "primal-". so another half point. 2/5
Restriction of 1 per team- not only do primals NOT have this, they have absolutely no restriction whatsoever. 2/5

those are the five main catigories that seperates megas from other forms, and primal evolution has roughly less then half of these. it annoys me that people think primals are variants of mega evolution because they don't have enough in common/have any correlation with eachother. they are just form changes that are inspired by mega evolution.
Because psychologically we pair them together. They were released simultaneously and do share a similarity in how they work. Whether you agree or not, in our mind, we think of Primal Reversion as a variant of Mega Evolution that is automatic.

Basically, what I'm saying is that our brain checked it as okay. If he had put Giratina or Arceus we certainly would have questioned it. If you're asking me now what to do, it doesn't matter because Primals are banned.

As practice for hosting various OMs I noticed that the code for Megamons was somewhat long:
Code:
	{
		name: "Megamons",
		desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3566648/\">Megamons</a>"],
		section: "OM of the Month",

ruleset: ['Species Clause', 'Nickname Clause', 'Moody Clause', 'OHKO Clause', 'Evasion Moves Clause', 'Swagger Clause', 'Mega Rayquaza Clause', 'Sleep Clause Mod', 'Endless Battle Clause', 'HP Percentage Mod', 'Cancel Mod', 'Team Preview'],
		banlist: ['Unreleased', 'Illegal', 'Gengar-Mega', 'Mewtwo-Mega-X', 'Mewtwo-Mega-Y', 'Rayquaza-Mega', 'Salamence-Mega'],
		onValidateTeam: function (team) {
			let problems = [];
			let kyurems = 0;
			for (let i = 0; i < team.length; i++) {
				if (team[i].species === 'Kyurem-White' || team[i].species === 'Kyurem-Black') {
					if (kyurems > 0) {
						problems.push('You cannot have more than one Kyurem-Black/Kyurem-White.');
						break;
					}
					kyurems++;
				}
			}
			return problems;
		},
		onChangeSet: function (set, format) {
			let item = this.getItem(set.item);
			let template = this.getTemplate(set.species);
			let problems = [];
			let totalEV = 0;

if (set.species === set.name) delete set.name;
			if (set.moves) {
				for (let i = 0; i < set.moves.length; i++) {
					let move = this.getMove(set.moves[i]);
					if (move.isNonstandard) {
						problems.push(move.name + ' does not exist.');
					}
				}
			}
			if (set.moves && set.moves.length > 4) {
				problems.push((set.name || set.species) + ' has more than four moves.');
			}
			if (set.level && set.level > 100) {
				problems.push((set.name || set.species) + ' is higher than level 100.');
			}

if (template.isNonstandard) {
				problems.push(set.species + ' does not exist.');
			}
			if (this.getAbility(set.ability).isNonstandard) {
				problems.push(set.ability + ' does not exist.');
			}
			if (item.isNonstandard) {
				if (item.isNonstandard === 'gen2') {
					problems.push(item.name + ' does not exist outside of gen 2.');
				} else {
					problems.push(item.name + ' does not exist.');
				}
			}
			for (let k in set.evs) {
				if (typeof set.evs[k] !== 'number' || set.evs[k] < 0) {
					set.evs[k] = 0;
				}
				totalEV += set.evs[k];
			}
			if (totalEV > 510) {
				problems.push((set.name || set.species) + " has more than 510 total EVs.");
			}

if (template.gender) {
				if (set.gender !== template.gender) {
					set.gender = template.gender;
				}
			} else {
				if (set.gender !== 'M' && set.gender !== 'F') {
					set.gender = undefined;
				}
			}

let baseTemplate = this.getTemplate(template.baseSpecies);
			if (set.ivs && baseTemplate.gen >= 6 && (template.eggGroups[0] === 'Undiscovered' || template.species === 'Manaphy') && !template.prevo && !template.nfe && template.species !== 'Unown' && template.baseSpecies !== 'Pikachu' && (template.baseSpecies !== 'Diancie' || !set.shiny)) {
				let perfectIVs = 0;
				for (let i in set.ivs) {
					if (set.ivs[i] >= 31) perfectIVs++;
				}
				if (perfectIVs < 3) problems.push((set.name || set.species) + " must have at least three perfect IVs because it's a legendary in gen 6.");
			}

let moves = [];
			if (set.moves) {
				let hasMove = {};
					let moveid = move.id;
					if (hasMove[moveid]) continue;
					hasMove[moveid] = true;
					moves.push(set.moves[i]);
				}
			}
			set.moves = moves;

let battleForme = template.battleOnly && template.species;
			if (battleForme && !template.isMega) {
				if (template.requiredAbility && set.ability !== template.requiredAbility) {
					problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredAbility + "."); // Darmanitan-Zen
				}
				if (template.requiredItem && item.name !== template.requiredItem) {
					problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredItem + '.'); // Primal
				}
				if (template.requiredMove && set.moves.indexOf(toId(template.requiredMove)) < 0) {
					problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredMove + "."); // Meloetta-Pirouette
				}
				if (!format.noChangeForme) set.species = template.baseSpecies; // Fix forme for Aegislash, Castform, etc.
			} else {
				if (template.requiredItem && item.name !== template.requiredItem && !template.isMega) {
					problems.push("" + (set.name || set.species) + " needs to hold " + template.requiredItem + '.'); // Plate/Drive/Griseous Orb
				}
				if (template.requiredMove && set.moves.indexOf(toId(template.requiredMove)) < 0 && !template.isMega) {
					problems.push("" + (set.name || set.species) + " needs to have the move " + template.requiredMove + "."); // Keldeo-Resolute
				}

if (item.forcedForme && template.species === this.getTemplate(item.forcedForme).baseSpecies && !format.noChangeForme) {
					set.species = item.forcedForme;
				}
			}

if (set.species !== template.species) {
				template = this.getTemplate(set.species);
				if (!format.noChangeAbility) {
					let legalAbility = false;
					for (let i in template.abilities) {
						if (template.abilities[i] !== set.ability) continue;
						legalAbility = true;
						break;
					}
					if (!legalAbility) {
						set.ability = template.abilities['0'];
					}
				}
			}

if (set.shiny && template.unobtainableShiny) {
				problems.push("It's currently not possible to get a shiny " + template.species + ".");
			}

return problems;
		},
		onSwitchIn: function (pokemon) {
			let item = pokemon.getItem();
			if (item.megaEvolves && pokemon.template.species === item.megaEvolves) {
				pokemon.canMegaEvo = item.megaStone;
			}
		},
	},
I've implemented it on rom with the following code:
config/formats.js
Code:
        {
                desc: ["&bullet; <a href=\"https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/3566648/\">Megamons</a>"],
                section: "Other Metagames",

mod: 'megamons',
                ruleset: ['Ubers'],
        },
mods/megamons/scripts.js
Code:
'use strict';

exports.BattleScripts = {
	init: function () {
		for (let i in this.data.Pokedex) {
			let pokemon = this.data.Pokedex[i];
			switch (pokemon.species) {
			case 'Gengar-Mega':
			case 'Mewtwo-Mega-X':
			case 'Mewtwo-Mega-Y':
			case 'Rayquaza-Mega':
				break;
			default:
				switch (pokemon.forme) {
				case 'Mega':
				case 'Mega-X':
				case 'Mega-Y':
					this.modData('Pokedex', i).gen = 6;
					this.modData('Pokedex', i).isMega = true;
					this.modData('Pokedex', i).battleOnly = false;
					delete this.modData('FormatsData', i).requiredItem;
				}
			}
		}
	},
};
It seems to work...

Last edited:
As practice for hosting various OMs I noticed that the code for Megamons was somewhat long:
Code:
 {
section: "OM of the Month",

ruleset: ['Species Clause', 'Nickname Clause', 'Moody Clause', 'OHKO Clause', 'Evasion Moves Clause', 'Swagger Clause', 'Mega Rayquaza Clause', 'Sleep Clause Mod', 'Endless Battle Clause', 'HP Percentage Mod', 'Cancel Mod', 'Team Preview'],
banlist: ['Unreleased', 'Illegal', 'Gengar-Mega', 'Mewtwo-Mega-X', 'Mewtwo-Mega-Y', 'Rayquaza-Mega', 'Salamence-Mega'],
onValidateTeam: function (team) {
let problems = [];
let kyurems = 0;
for (let i = 0; i < team.length; i++) {
if (team[i].species === 'Kyurem-White' || team[i].species === 'Kyurem-Black') {
if (kyurems > 0) {
problems.push('You cannot have more than one Kyurem-Black/Kyurem-White.');
break;
}
kyurems++;
}
}
return problems;
},
onChangeSet: function (set, format) {
let item = this.getItem(set.item);
let template = this.getTemplate(set.species);
let problems = [];
let totalEV = 0;

if (set.species === set.name) delete set.name;
if (set.moves) {
if (move.isNonstandard) {
problems.push(move.name + ' does not exist.');
}
}
}
if (set.moves && set.moves.length > 4) {
problems.push((set.name || set.species) + ' has more than four moves.');
}
if (set.level && set.level > 100) {
problems.push((set.name || set.species) + ' is higher than level 100.');
}

if (template.isNonstandard) {
problems.push(set.species + ' does not exist.');
}
if (this.getAbility(set.ability).isNonstandard) {
problems.push(set.ability + ' does not exist.');
}
if (item.isNonstandard) {
if (item.isNonstandard === 'gen2') {
problems.push(item.name + ' does not exist outside of gen 2.');
} else {
problems.push(item.name + ' does not exist.');
}
}
for (let k in set.evs) {
if (typeof set.evs[k] !== 'number' || set.evs[k] < 0) {
set.evs[k] = 0;
}
totalEV += set.evs[k];
}
if (totalEV > 510) {
problems.push((set.name || set.species) + " has more than 510 total EVs.");
}

if (template.gender) {
if (set.gender !== template.gender) {
set.gender = template.gender;
}
} else {
if (set.gender !== 'M' && set.gender !== 'F') {
set.gender = undefined;
}
}

let baseTemplate = this.getTemplate(template.baseSpecies);
if (set.ivs && baseTemplate.gen >= 6 && (template.eggGroups[0] === 'Undiscovered' || template.species === 'Manaphy') && !template.prevo && !template.nfe && template.species !== 'Unown' && template.baseSpecies !== 'Pikachu' && (template.baseSpecies !== 'Diancie' || !set.shiny)) {
let perfectIVs = 0;
for (let i in set.ivs) {
if (set.ivs[i] >= 31) perfectIVs++;
}
if (perfectIVs < 3) problems.push((set.name || set.species) + " must have at least three perfect IVs because it's a legendary in gen 6.");
}

let moves = [];
if (set.moves) {
let hasMove = {};
let moveid = move.id;
if (hasMove[moveid]) continue;
hasMove[moveid] = true;
moves.push(set.moves[i]);
}
}
set.moves = moves;

let battleForme = template.battleOnly && template.species;
if (battleForme && !template.isMega) {
if (template.requiredAbility && set.ability !== template.requiredAbility) {
problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredAbility + "."); // Darmanitan-Zen
}
if (template.requiredItem && item.name !== template.requiredItem) {
problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredItem + '.'); // Primal
}
if (template.requiredMove && set.moves.indexOf(toId(template.requiredMove)) < 0) {
problems.push("" + template.species + " transforms in-battle with " + template.requiredMove + "."); // Meloetta-Pirouette
}
if (!format.noChangeForme) set.species = template.baseSpecies; // Fix forme for Aegislash, Castform, etc.
} else {
if (template.requiredItem && item.name !== template.requiredItem && !template.isMega) {
problems.push("" + (set.name || set.species) + " needs to hold " + template.requiredItem + '.'); // Plate/Drive/Griseous Orb
}
if (template.requiredMove && set.moves.indexOf(toId(template.requiredMove)) < 0 && !template.isMega) {
problems.push("" + (set.name || set.species) + " needs to have the move " + template.requiredMove + "."); // Keldeo-Resolute
}

if (item.forcedForme && template.species === this.getTemplate(item.forcedForme).baseSpecies && !format.noChangeForme) {
set.species = item.forcedForme;
}
}

if (set.species !== template.species) {
template = this.getTemplate(set.species);
if (!format.noChangeAbility) {
let legalAbility = false;
for (let i in template.abilities) {
if (template.abilities[i] !== set.ability) continue;
legalAbility = true;
break;
}
if (!legalAbility) {
set.ability = template.abilities['0'];
}
}
}

if (set.shiny && template.unobtainableShiny) {
problems.push("It's currently not possible to get a shiny " + template.species + ".");
}

return problems;
},
onSwitchIn: function (pokemon) {
let item = pokemon.getItem();
if (item.megaEvolves && pokemon.template.species === item.megaEvolves) {
pokemon.canMegaEvo = item.megaStone;
}
},
},
I've implemented it on rom with the following code:
config/formats.js
Code:
        {
                section: "Other Metagames",

mod: 'megamons',
                ruleset: ['Ubers'],
        },
mods/megamons/scripts.js
Code:
'use strict';

exports.BattleScripts = {
init: function () {
for (let i in this.data.Pokedex) {
let pokemon = this.data.Pokedex[i];
switch (pokemon.species) {
case 'Gengar-Mega':
case 'Mewtwo-Mega-X':
case 'Mewtwo-Mega-Y':
case 'Rayquaza-Mega':
break;
default:
switch (pokemon.forme) {
case 'Mega':
case 'Mega-X':
case 'Mega-Y':
this.modData('Pokedex', i).gen = 6;
this.modData('Pokedex', i).isMega = true;
this.modData('Pokedex', i).battleOnly = false;
delete this.modData('FormatsData', i).requiredItem;
}
}
}
},
};
It seems to work...
Not using a mod is preferred. Mods take up more resources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)