Resource Don't Use That; Use This (ORAS Version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scald is to handle better stall, and water pulse is better vs offensive teams that dont care about burns or get killed right away.

Also keep in mind that the burn might not even kill if you get it on the second turn. Sure, it's a pretty low chance that it'd survive on the second turn with a burn, but that's already on top of the 49% chance of you actually landing the burn in the first place. Either way, it's quite a bit less reliable than the 92% chance to kill M-Sableye outright with water pulse.

Either way, I wouldn't say that one or the other is mandatory. If you've already got something that can reliably deal with Sableye, you don't really need the water pulse on blastoise, especially since scald's burn is so nice. But if Sableye is showing up on your list of consistently notable threats for your team, pulse is probably the better option.

I'll be honest; I don't really recommend using Blastoise as your Sableye answer at all as it's really shaky. I've found Toise pairs really well with Unaware Clefable and SD Talonflame so those are what you should really use. And if you have those; Hydro > Scald/Pulse

Or instead of wasting your mega slot on Blastoise, you can join the dark side and use mega Sableye yourself lol

Mega Sableye doesn't necessarily beat Mega Sableye, it's dependent on who can get a crit first. If no one gets a crit, then it's just a PP stall war.

I'll be honest; I don't really recommend using Blastoise as your Sableye answer at all as it's really shaky. I've found Toise pairs really well with Unaware Clefable and SD Talonflame so those are what you should really use. And if you have those; Hydro > Scald/Pulse
Wouldnt it be the other way around? I mean if you have an answer for mega sable you can run scald to spread status on the other team? Well thats my logic but im not entirely sure, maybe hydro pump get important 1hko or 2hko im not aware of.

Wouldnt it be the other way around? I mean if you have an answer for mega sable you can run scald to spread status on the other team? Well thats my logic but im not entirely sure, maybe hydro pump get important 1hko or 2hko im not aware of.
Eh, I honestly feel Hydro's the best option 9 times out of 10 because I always feel Toise prefers to tank stuff and wreck while forcing switches for spin. Scald's still a decent option tho.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you have SR up Scald 2HKOs Sableye a majority of the time

I also like Scald just because nothing that fears a water type move really wants to come/stay in on Blastoise anyway and he has other psuedo STABs to take advantage of

That said, all of Blastoise's water STABs are good I think you should run what fits best on your team. Hydro Pump is a serious nuke though I must admit

Belly Drummers:

Don't use this:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Return/Aromatherapy
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch

Why it's worse:

1136 attack can OHKO most pokemon in OU metagame and boosted Unburden speed can reach to 534/486 dealing with many scarfers like Land-T, but OU Tier is steel Tier; Scizor and Mega-Metagross resist Drain Punch easily...if Bullet Punch don't kill it. Talonflame revenge-kills easily. Also, a Whirlwind from Skarmory leaves Slurpuff without its boost attack being completely useless piece of pink poo (hehe i said poo)

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 482-570 (157.5 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 216-254 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 210-248 (68.6 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 267-315 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 147-174 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Remember the maximum HP Slurpuff can have is 75%

Oh, and if you will try to use it on next gen's reset, to counter Kangaskhan, don't even try it. Aegislash will rekt it.

Instead use this:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough/SuperPower
- Waterfall/Knock Off

Why is better?:

Better moveset, that can handle pokes who resist and kills Slurpuff like Amoonguss, priority STAB to deal with scarfers things, Dark type resist so can live a SuckerPunch,great defensive type with better bulky stats than him, it's more cute, but the great advantages of Azumarill are: Steel resist (yeah bitch) so fuck Metagross, scizor, Doublade, etc. And the most important thing, Slurpuff +0 does nothing. Azumarill unboosted does stuff. Can revenge kill, learns knock off, then rival can thing it's AV or CB so you may be able to outsmart,etc... Slurpuff it's not bad but Azumarill does the same and better.

Well, except for one thing. Slurpuff can learn Aromatherapy

(...)

P.D: If you see Linoone Belly Drum in low ladder (lel) tell me to post it here.

Last edited:
Belly Drummers:

Don't use this:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Return/Aromatherapy
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch

Why it's worse:

1136 attack can OHKO most pokemon in OU metagame, but this Tier is steel Tier; Scizor and Mega-Metagross resist Drain Punch easily...if Bullet Punch don't kill it.Also, a Whirlwind from Skarmory leaves Slurpuff without its boost attack being completely useless piece of pink poo (hehe i said poo)

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 482-570 (157.5 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 216-254 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 210-248 (68.6 - 81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 147-174 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Oh, and if you will try to use it on next gen's reset, to counter Kangaskhan, don't even try it. Aegislash will rekt it.

Instead use this:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough/SuperPower
- Waterfall/Knock Off?

Why is better?:

Better moveset, priority, it's more cute, but it has two major advantages: Water resist Steel (yeah bitch) so fuck Metagross, scizor and Doublade (I think it's viable). And the most important thing, Azumarill unboosted does stuff. Can revenge kill, learns knock off, then rival can thing it's AV or CB so you may be able to outsmart,etc... Slurpuff it's not bad but Azumarill does the same and better.

(...)

You're pretty much completely correct; but there's other advantages Azumarill has you should mention such as a fantastic secondary STAB, existing bulk complemented by a brilliant defensive typing - which, to add, gives it much more set-up opportunities - and it's moveset versatility is much better than it's made out to be. Priority/Fairy/Water|Dark coverage is really good. Plus Priority means it isn't fucked over by scarfers. In addition, mention Slurpuff literally has nothing over Azumarill aside from increased speed and sort of recovery which doesn't mean much when they're countered easily.
Don't mention next gen because we have no idea what it'll be like. nice verlis joke tho lol
Also mention Slurpuff has a lot of trouble with scarfers, priority, trying to find opportunities to set up, etc. Perhaps also make a mention that it's been hyped up due to ORAS tutors but doesn't live up to said hype.

Still, what you've said is generally correct; just a little bare bones. Good first analysis here.

You're pretty much completely correct; but there's other advantages Azumarill has you should mention such as a fantastic secondary STAB, existing bulk complemented by a brilliant defensive typing - which, to add, gives it much more set-up opportunities - and it's moveset versatility is much better than it's made out to be. Priority/Fairy/Water|Dark coverage is really good. Plus Priority means it isn't fucked over by scarfers. In addition, mention Slurpuff literally has nothing over Azumarill aside from increased speed and sort of recovery which doesn't mean much when they're countered easily.
Don't mention next gen because we have no idea what it'll be like. nice verlis joke tho lol
Also mention Slurpuff has a lot of trouble with scarfers, priority, trying to find opportunities to set up, etc. Perhaps also make a mention that it's been hyped up due to ORAS tutors but doesn't live up to said hype.

Still, what you've said is generally correct; just a little bare bones. Good first analysis here.
Edited, Thanks for advises :D

I am Hiding the quote, but why leftovers on cancer-bug? It seems like it is asking to get a choice item if you don't run Black Sludge.
i swear to god if i see one more ninjask

(PLEASE) Don't use:

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature

- Swords Dance / Harden
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

Use this instead:

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance / Iron Defense
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Protect / Megahorn

There is simply no reason to use Ninjask when you have Scolipede. With its higher bulk and the threat of +2 Megahorn, as well as being able to do its job twice in a game, Ninjask can just go home. Iron Defense is also waaaaay better than Harden, if you try to baton pass defense boosts to a CM+Stored Power Espeon.

92 | Goodra | 1.119%

What the actual fuck guys

Alright DONT USE THIS:

Why it's bad:

Goodra's pseudo legend BST sounds really appealing at first and it's massive 150 SDef, good pure Dragon typing and decent HP makes it seem like the ideal answer to stuff like Manectric, Rotom-W, and Zard-Y right? Well for as many positive traits Goodra has it also has quite a few bad ones. It's rather low base 70 Def and lack of resistances to relevant physical attacks make it a liability on most teams and it's also not very fast at base 80 Spe. It has outstanding special bulk but doesnt have reliable recovery to back it up, and is vulnerable to every entry hazard. It has an impressive offensive movepool rivaling that of Dragonite but it doesnt quite have the offensive stats to properly use them, lacks boosting moves, and it can't use any offensive boosting items like Life Orb effectively either. It's abilities also range from situational to useless. This basically pidgeonholes Goodra into being a bad AV user that hits kind of hard but other than that all it can do is get worn down.
On top of all this it is simply outclassed at the things it can actually do, like be a bulky check bulky Waters and Electrics, and is kind of a momentum killer with it's eh speed and only okay firepower.

Use these instead:

Lati@s does everything Goodra can do in OU and then some, actually having some utility in Defog and getting access to Roost to keep healthy while having far superior offensive presence and Speed and a better set of resistances to offer to the team (particularly to Ground and Fighting) while still having great natural special bulk to take hits with. The Lati twins, whichever one you choose, will both serve you much better than Goodra.

But wait the Lati twins are usually strictly special attackers right? What if I want a mixed attacking Dragon? Can I use Goodra then?

NO

Use this instead:

The trade off for a worse defensive typing and a weakness to Stealth Rock is a mixed Dragon type powerhouse that Goodra only wishes it could be. Still checks Waters and Electrics while still having a significant 15 more base Speed than Goodra and a good amount of statistical bulk (125 base HP like damn), Kyurem-B is one of stall's banes with literally legendary stats and a decent if situational ability in Teravolt (Mold Breaker) and a colorful offensive movepool to compliment it. Kyurem-B is another bulky Dragon that provides much more utility on an OU team than Goodra.
It should be noted goodra has a niche in Rain-Teams, due to Rest-Hydration, and grass resistance.

The Set:
Goodra @ Leftovers / Damp Rock
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder / Rain Dance
- Rest

Belly Drummers:

Don't use this:

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Return/Aromatherapy
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch

Why it's worse:

1136 attack can OHKO most pokemon in OU metagame and boosted Unburden speed can reach to 534/486 dealing with many scarfers like Land-T, but OU Tier is steel Tier; Scizor and Mega-Metagross resist Drain Punch easily...if Bullet Punch don't kill it. Talonflame revenge-kills easily. Also, a Whirlwind from Skarmory leaves Slurpuff without its boost attack being completely useless piece of pink poo (hehe i said poo)

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 267-315 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Instead use this:

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough/SuperPower
- Waterfall/Knock Off

Why is better?:

Better moveset, that can handle pokes who resist and kills Slurpuff like Amoonguss (Azumarill needs Knock Off to beat physically defensive Amoongus. If it's 248 Hp / 252 SpD Amoongus, Slurpuff OHKOes with Return. ) , priority STAB to deal with scarfers things (Slurpuff has Unburden so it doesn't need priority that much unless you're dealing with priority users in which case Azu is also outsped ), Dark type resist so can live a Sucker Punch (both of them resists Sucker Punch so I don't see the point in mentioning this. Further, the relevant Sucker Punch user is Bisharp which Slurpuff outspeed, OHKO with Drain Punch and regain health from) ,great defensive type with better bulky stats than him, it's more cute, but the great advantages of Azumarill are: Steel resist (yeah bitch) so fuck Metagross, scizor, Doublade, etc (This should be the main reason of using Belly Drum Azumarill. ) . And the most important thing, Slurpuff +0 does nothing. Azumarill unboosted does stuff. Can revenge kill, learns knock off, then rival can thing it's AV or CB so you may be able to outsmart,etc... Slurpuff it's not bad but Azumarill does the same and better.

(...)

Replies in bold. While I'm certainly not advocating Slurpuff's usage, I feel some of the points here are untrue.

FOR GOD'S SAKE, DO NOT FUCKING USE:

Electivire @ Life Orb
Trait: Motor Drive
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe or 140 Atk / 116 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature

- Thunderbolt / Wild Charge
- Flamethrower
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch

Instead use this:

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature

- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

If you use SmashPass and want to troll the low- and mid-ladder, have fun using Electivire. But on a serious team, do not use it, like, ever. It has excellent coverage and good attacking power at first glance, until you realize that its poor 95 speed and atrocious defense stats completely prevent it from doing its job. It's also completely outclassed by Kyurem-B as a mixed attacker and by many Electric-types as a Thunderbolt/Wild Charge spammer, like Mega Manectric, Raikou, Thundurus (-T), Zapdos, you name it. On the unweighted stats, 1.21% of all teams still use Electivire. This isn't gen 4, folks.
Electrivire isn't just bad because it's frail or slow, it's bad because it jisn't very powerful. Against seemingly every Pokemon that it hits super effectively, Electivire just barely misses out on a 1HKO.

Last edited:
Yes, I second the above. This is known as Weavile Syndrome, where you hit a pokemon for super effective damage yet it can still take the hit barely. However, Kyu-B still outclasses electivire as a mixed attacker.

FOR NON-SAND TEAMS

Don't use:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Trait: Rough Skin ---> Sand Force
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Instead use:

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Naive Nature

- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- HP Fire / Fusion Bolt

240 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 164-192 (40.5 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 163-193 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 190-225 (47 - 55.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 196-231 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
just saying

Outside of these calcs, I honestly see no reason to use wallbreaker chomp if you're not playing sand. Cube doesn't take up the mega slot and can use a Life Orb, greatly enhancing its power. Ice Beam gets actually good coverage and doesn't reduce its SpA, while Outrage hits hard as hell even with only 56 Atk EVs. Kyurem can even use HP Fire to serve as an alternative to Chomp's Fire Blast.

FOR NON-SAND TEAMS

Don't use:

Garchomp @ Garchompite
Trait: Rough Skin ---> Sand Force
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Instead use:

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Naive Nature

- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- HP Fire / Fusion Bolt

240 SpA Life Orb Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 164-192 (40.5 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
240 SpA Mega Garchomp Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 104+ SpD Mew: 163-193 (40.3 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 190-225 (47 - 55.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
16+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 196-231 (48.5 - 57.1%) -- 44.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
just saying

Outside of these calcs, I honestly see no reason to use wallbreaker chomp if you're not playing sand. Cube doesn't take up the mega slot and can use a Life Orb, greatly enhancing its power. Ice Beam gets actually good coverage and doesn't reduce its SpA, while Outrage hits hard as hell even with only 56 Atk EVs. Kyurem can even use HP Fire to serve as an alternative to Chomp's Fire Blast.
Kyurem-B's a great replacement, but a better one is just ChainChomp without the Mega Stone.

You know I just realized how confusing the title of this thread is when considering the responses.
It's titled "don't use that use this", yet the write-ups are "don't use this use that", even the example on the OP being listed as such.
hhhhhhhhhhhhuh.

ANYWAYS, new usage stats came out Monday so hoo boy have we got a few new targets of Snorlax, Venusaur and Machamp to go through. But I'll be nise and steal the unviable Pokémon with the most usage not already covered.

Don't use this:

Why it's bad:

Roserade simply finds itself in the annoying little world of not necessarily being a bad Pokémon on it's own merit, but unfortunately falling just short of being good in OU simply for being outclassed at everything it tries to do. However, from what I can see in the usage stats - that list it as 123 in usage - it's most used moves and EV/Nature spreads classify it as being used either as an all-out attacker or as an offensive support with spikes. While I will get to why those are outclassed in a moment, I must clarify why using them on Roserade would not be a good idea either -- for the all-out attacking set, I'm afraid this is just plain bad. I can see why it might be considered because it's the only Pokémon in the game with technician and a good special attack stat; hence you turn HP Fire into essentially Flamethrower, HP Ice into what is essentially Ice Beam, etc. That's nice but it's where the pros for all-out attacking end; as it does not have the characteristics to support this. It's STAB is downright awful outside of punishing fairies, and while 125 special attack is very nice, 90 speed with no priority is certainly not. As for a defensive support... Grass/Poison has been shown to be a nice defensive typing by Venusaur and Amoongus, but it's not being held up well by Roserade's very frail 60/65/105 defences. This is downright laughable for an OU 'mon and the only reason you'd use it over another defensive spiker is the speed; but 90 speed is rather slow in OU where 110 has become the new standard to meet and 115 is starting to become rather common as well.

Use these instead:

Why they're better:

First off, allow me to address the all-out attacking sets. If you want an all-out grass-type attacker, Serperior and Mega Sceptile are your best bets. Both carry amazing speed that allow them to compete in this metagame, with great power coming either through direct stats (Mega Sceptile's 145 SpA), or the very unique unconventional method of boosting in Serperior's Leaf Storm. They also have better coverage than Roserade - never thought I'd say that about Serperior of all things - as they both carry what matters from Roserade in powerful grass STAB, Giga Drain for longevity and a Hidden Power for coverage while boasting Dragon Pulse which is even STAB on Sceptile. Talking of Sceptile, it also has access to Focus Blast or EQ on mixed sets which rounds out it's coverage nicely. This leaves Roserade's only real niche over them a STAB Sludge Bomb, but this being your only Fairy answer is a very bad idea and the cons far outweigh the pros.
If you want a defensive grass/poison type, well, here you go. Mega Venusaur and Amoongus. Mega Venusaur boasts far, FAR better defences of 80/123/120, while Amoongus has 114/70/80. This already makes the two far better choices for a defensive Grass-type but it doesn't stop there. They also boast incredible abilities in Thick Fat and Regenerator, respectively, which increases Venusaur's resistances and allows Amoongus to keep very health throughout the entire match. In regards to movepool, they do have the staple Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb, but Venusaur also gets the very nice Synthesis and Knock Off and even Swords Dance sets are starting to become viable. Amoonguss, meanwhile, gets the coveted Spore for crippling an opponent. Which brings me to the point that you may be so inclined to use Roserade for some form of offensive presence; but Venusaur has that covered pretty decently in Base 122.
Finally, the one other thing I saw was that people wanted to use Roserade as a spiker. Here we go. Ferrothorn is a better grass-type to set these up in every sense of the word, with far better defences, typing, an ability which complements spikes' use of wittling opponents down, and a myriad other crippling support options in Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Leech Seed and Knock Off. It also has decent offensive presence with Gyro Ball and Power Whip. But if a fast spiker is what you want, allow me to introduce you to skillkeys Klefki. Prankster lets it set up spikes before anything else and even get rid of one of it's only weaknesses through Magnet Rise if you're so inclined. It also has better support options such as dual screens and thunder wave, not to mention an all-around better defensive typing and stats.

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The reason you would use roserade is for status absorption on a specially defensive set or toxic spikes. I agree with most of the above but there is a merit to roserade that these other grass types don't have in one package, granted its extremely niche and team specific now.

I agree rose is mostly outclassed nowdays most due to her midling speed tier, power creep by new pokemon and somewhat poor movepool (Come on gamefreak give her a buff lol she is like my favourite pokemon) However she does have 2 things going for her that should be mentioned. The only usable pokemon as far as Im aware that has both sleep powder and spikes allowing atleast in theory a good suicide set. The other is natural cure as AM stated. She can do a nice offensive spiker set that checks status while using the oppurtunities to set spikes as oppenents switch out. While some may say status absorbing is outclassed by celebi spikes + Poisen typing gives her enough of a usable niche to be considered on some select teams.

Other then that tho I'm in 100% agreement. Anyone trying to use rose for anything else should just opt for venu or some of the other grass types mentioned.

Okay, I apologize because this may sound ragy, but this bothers the ever living crap out of me every time I see it.

DO NOT EVER USE THIS:

Gengar @ whatever
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse
- whatever
- whatever

Why it's bad absolutely awful: Yes, Dark is a good attacking type in OU, but Dark Pulse has ZERO viability on Gengar. Why? It offers no worthwhile coverage whatsoever for it, or ANY Ghost type not named Sableye or Spiritomb, for that matter. Everything Dark Pulse hits super effectively, Shadow Ball already does. I know that Shadow Ball doesn't do anything to Normal types, but Gengar has a lot better move for those, and for coverage in general.

Instead, use this:

Gengar @ whatever
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Dazzling Gleam / Sludge Bomb
- whatever
- whatever

Why it's better: Focus Blast has perfect neutral coverage with Shadow Ball, and good super effective coverage as well. In addition to hitting Normal types, it also hits Dark types (especially Bisharp), which give many Ghost mons trouble. If the accuracy of Focus Blast is not appealing, Dazzling Gleam also has strong coverage with Shadow Ball, as Ghost and Fairy hit everything relevant in OU (sorry, Pyroar) for at least neutral damage. Finally, if your desired Gengar set only has room for two attacks, Sludge Bomb is also a viable choice, as it gets STAB and nails Fairy types.

I will also be extending this to Ghost types in general. As a rule, Ghost mons should NEVER EVER EVER use Dark type attacks, and vice versa. There are a couple of exceptions to this, of course, but Sableye is the only relevant one in OU, as it gets STAB on both types. I'm only singling out Dark Pulse Gengar because this is the one I see most often.

End rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)