[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

Yeah, it's a lot more of a coverage/sweeping/defensive walls thing than it is strategy and status and support. I've seen one substitute, had no status put on me, and been taunted once. Which makes sense, because I suppose that's the more common approach for casual players, but it gets difficult because you get so used to seeing the same movesets and strategies, and then it's like... oh, it's an offensive umbreon, and it has a sitrus berry?
Man, I swear I saw what was probably a Choice Specs Umbreon and I couldn't help but chuckle at its beyond silly attempt at sweeping haha. But yeah, Weather Teams weren't all that common as well. I ran across one extremely powerful rain team ( Politoad + Azul + Probably-Specs Dnite. This core is powah, man ) and a shaky Sun team with a Chlorophyll Venu + Scarf Typhlosion offensive core as its backbone, which was, overall, a lot less impressive. I didn't get to see sand teams at all.

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Yes. From what I've experienced, Espeon is a lot more common, even more so than Alakazam. Kinda ironic considering that I've been preaching Alakazam > Espeon all the way since day one. I also haven't come across Baton Pass chains, nor Smeargle & Moody Users in general; haven't seen a single one being used. Minimize Clef, yet another threat I was utterly prepared for, didn't make an appearance.

All-out-Attackers & Set-Up Sweepers were particularly more noticeable on cart during this 1st day. I saw plenty of chansey as well, far more often than on PS!, but none made it past teampreview.
Set up sweepers are really good in this format I think due to the fast paced style of play. At the higher levels of play I think it becomes more about picking mons that fare well against your opponent's team but well played set up sweepers and attackers are still potentially very devastating. On day 2 and 3 I think people will start to encounter players with better strategies and team cohesion but set up sweepers will still put up a strong showing.

So day 1 for me left me thinking I should really call it quits with battling.

I made 2 teams and had mixed results.

Both teams seemed to share a common theme, miss, miss, miss, paralyzed, fully paralyzed.

I had Thunderbolt miss 3 times in a row, the 100% accuracy Thunderbolt. I had a lot of moves miss that cost me battles. I managed to bring in my Azumarill on an Outrage Dragonite and the next turn, Play Rough missed, turn after that he switched out and Azumarill finished his team off, but when Dragonite came back in I was weak enough for him to faint Azumarill with EQ.

Every time I was paralyzed I was fully paralyzed the same turn.

I am not sure what I need to do to turn that corner between average player to above average.

I am assuming that the missed Thunderbolt was due to Espeon holding a Bright Powder.

So my 2 teams

SA+ Team
Dragonite, Azumarill, Piloswine, Venusaur, Raikou, and Suicune.

Record Day 1: 6-4
1. L 0-2
2. L 0-3
3. L 0-1
4. W 2-0
5. W 2-0
6. W 2-0
7. W 1-0
8. W 2-0
9. W 2-1
10. L 0-1

Sand Team
Tyranitar, Quagsire, Magcargo, Sandslash, Scizor, and Magneton

Record Day 1: 5-6
1. L 0-2
2. W 3-0
3. L 0-2
4. L 0-1
5. W 2-0
6. W 3-0
7. L 0-2
8. L 3-0
9. W 3-0
10. L 0-1
11. W 3-0

Just a frustrating day on my side. The misses and fully paralyzed seem to really stick out.

My lone highlight was with the Sand team. My Tyranitar had 4 Rock Slides in a row flinch the opponent.

Man, I swear I saw what was probably a Choice Specs Umbreon and I couldn't help but chuckle at its beyond silly attempt at sweeping haha. But yeah, Weather Teams weren't all that common as well. I ran across one extremely powerful rain team ( Politoad + Azul + Probably-Specs Dnite. This core is powah, man ) and a shaky Sun team with a Chlorophyll Venu + Scarf Typhlosion offensive core as its backbone, which was, overall, a lot less impressive. I didn't get to see sand teams at all.
I saw one sand team during my matches with a Tyranitar lead. I'm not sure why opponent didn't switch it out before I nailed it with a OHKO. (Don't want to give away too much of my team just yet, but I'll post my line up and maybe a couple of videos when I'm done in the competition) My rating is garbage, but its one of my first online competitions. The only reason I'm playing is for Whitney's Miltank :D If they did more prizes like that for online competitions I'd definitely play more.

Still haven't started yet.

I'm not expecting much here since I've hardly tested what I'm going with. Hearing that Espeon is so common makes me want to add a dark type of some sort, but I doubt I'll have time to raise it.

And it's nice to see Smeargle's not being used much, but with my luck, I'll probably face like 6 in a row when I start my matches.

So far, I'm 12-3 on day 1 and 11-4 on day 2. Some of tonight's losses left me a bit salty because I made the wrong call which made me lose or I brought the wrong mon, but I'm trying not to let it get to me. One of the losses was due to me getting a min roll Raikou Specs HP Grass on a Piloswine which ended up losing me the game :/

Other than that, Raikou's proving to be an absolute beast in this format, and a lot of teams that I go up against don't bring an electric immunity, so I almost always lead with it so I can just Volt Switch out to something appropriate if I get the lead matchup wrong.

So far, I'm 12-3 on day 1 and 11-4 on day 2. Some of tonight's losses left me a bit salty because I made the wrong call which made me lose or I brought the wrong mon, but I'm trying not to let it get to me. One of the losses was due to me getting a min roll Raikou Specs HP Grass on a Piloswine which ended up losing me the game :/

Other than that, Raikou's proving to be an absolute beast in this format, and a lot of teams that I go up against don't bring an electric immunity, so I almost always lead with it so I can just Volt Switch out to something appropriate if I get the lead matchup wrong.
Not sure if I want to start, as I should be above the 1500 mark due to my win on game 15. I'll admit I haven't bought an electric immunity, but I have not seen hide nor tail of Raikou either. Although I can see what my team is trying to do, it's not having that "flow" a decent team actually has, which I did have in the KC, maybe because my team is slightly slower - I did "sweep" a whole team with a Porygon 2 however. (I am regretting not saving replays) - By sweep, the battle lasted about nine turns, and it was against an opponent who wasn't able to deal the necessary damage with any of his team, I was recovering when I needed and so forth. I have struggled with Scizor surprisingly, I can't seem to OHKO it in this format, so it usually gets to set up X amount of Swords dances before sweeping with Bullet Punch.

Day one was great, I started 12-3. Yesterday was less successful, as I ended up 9-6 for the day, 21-9, dropping down from 80% to 70% win ratio. I hope today goes better. I think the prolific amount of battling that I did on PS has actually hurt me, because as others have stated, people are running weird movesets that I do not expect/never saw on there. I predict them like they are running the powerhouse stuff from PS and they end up running crap like hyper defensive Arcanine lol. Alakazam gave me literally 0 problems on PS but has been very destructive on cart. Still trying to get my feet under me a little. This is also my very first competitive tournament ever, so I'm a bit of a noob lol.

Day one was great, I started 12-3. Yesterday was less successful, as I ended up 9-6 for the day, 21-9, dropping down from 80% to 70% win ratio. I hope today goes better. I think the prolific amount of battling that I did on PS has actually hurt me, because as others have stated, people are running weird movesets that I do not expect/never saw on there. I predict them like they are running the powerhouse stuff from PS and they end up running crap like hyper defensive Arcanine lol. Alakazam gave me literally 0 problems on PS but has been very destructive on cart. Still trying to get my feet under me a little. This is also my very first competitive tournament ever, so I'm a bit of a noob lol.
Very similar two days like myself...weird. I started off day one well but last night was a nightmare as I ran into a lot of unique sets but ofc these were by Japanese players. Espeon is everywhere and has rendered my skarmory useless with magic bounce, not to mention when I was handled easily by someone running an entire poison type team with all packing some type of ice move, just carved me up. I get Japan is the mother land of Pokemon and that the players there tend to have an edge over us but that doesn't mean I take losing to them kindly, irks the shit outta me..especially since the one's I battle and lose to always run some trippy sets. I was hoping to end the day on a win but ended up losing to someone obviously running a choice banded Dragonite, Japanese of course. Lol

Day 1: 13-2

Day 2: 9-6

And just as expected I went on a massive tilt today: 2 people dc'd on me and the game gave me a loss for it both times + a freeze hax that lasted for well over 6 turns, also costing me the game—am more salty than the dead sea about those. There was also this one match that I'm not even mad I lost. In it I got sweeped by an Assist Sneasel which I was totally, completely and miserably unprepared for. I knew he would try something fishy with Assist since he had both Wobbuffet and Smeargle on his team, but he also had Persian so I thought that would be his Assist user. Never have I been so wrong; he probably had assist on both. Too bad for me, but again, I'm not even mad 'cause that was amazing.

I am also kinda surprised by how frequently I'm seeing Skarmory being used, good thing for me that, overall, my team isn't really bothered by anything it tries to do, so the moment opponent brings it we're basically playing 3 on 2.

Anyways, my rating is currently sitting at 1700, give or take, with a 22-8 ratio. Seems like today wasn't a good day for many of you, too, just know you're not alone.

Last edited:

zapzap29

And now the Min Clefs are coming out like Crazy. I hate them so much, there's so many of them.

That doesn't happen.
It does occasionally. Usually the system is good about penalizing the person who disconnected but rarely it chalks it up to a "connection error" and hands out losses to both players. It does some other weird stuff involving disconnectors too. On day 1, 2 people DC'd against me and now it keeps me from playing 15 matches a day even though I got the wins for the disconnected battles. I'm pretty sure I've only played 28-29 battles yet it keeps on telling me I've played the maximum number of matches for the day. It's really annoying.

That doesn't happen.
Yes, it does. The game acts up a bit when it comes to DC. Usually you get the win and the one who disconnected gets the loss, but sometimes it hands a loss for both players, or a loss for one and no result at all for the other ( no loss or win, it just counts it as a battle that has been played ). Either way, my point is that I lost twice because of bad wifi connection from either end ( Pretty sure it wasn't mine since I was still online once the battle was over and it didn't happen again afterwards, but whatever ), hence why I'm so salty about it lol.

That doesn't happen.
Yes, it happens. The same has occured with me at kanto classic. Idk why, but sometime the text will be "communication error", even if u still connected after that. Its just wierd.

Edit: havent done my battles yet, but suicune is pretty common, at least to me. I ve seen many rain teams and none smeargle so far.

3 wins, 0 losses. Ya'll muthafuckas can't touch this undefeated shit.
Zammy set was an iffy idea, think I'd rather have my beloved Mind-Crush set.
Venusaur is such a cunt though, I love it. Just 3-0'd a team of Fire Blast+Ice Beam TTar, Unaware Saftey Goggles Clefable, and Protect+Disable Gengar by leading with Venusaur and never even switched. lol.

I scored 23-7. I'm salty because two of my losses were DCs on the other guy's end I'm almost sure since I was playing just fine and never DCed, also the guys DCed when they were in a bad spot so yeah. Could of been 25-5. Anyways, I'm so happy I kept Superpower on Azumarill instead of Ice Punch, it recks a lot of Porygon2 (somehow saw a TON of those) and Chanseys (same as Pory). Put Jolteon as a last minute because I couldn't find a good Raikou or Zapdos. Specs Volt switch deals a good chunk of damage to almost everything.

44 turns for me to lose.

I think if I would have attacked the last turn I would have won. I was expecting him to attack and since I moved last I would recover to be at full HP when the timer hit 0.

I should have attacked. The only damage was on my Scizor.

I should have forfeit at the very beginning, but I have never forfeit a match and after 10 minutes you kind of have to keep stalling as well haha.

Also, now I wish I would have kept Encore on my Quagsire. Saddest thing is that if he would have switched out I am pretty sure I had the type advantages.

G92G-WWWW-WW46-6X89

Long and boring for sure.

Ended today with 11 battles and a much better 8-3 record.

The sand team is a lot of fun to play.

Day 2: 8-3
1. L 0-2
2. W 2-0
3. W 2-0
4. W 3-0
5. DC/W 2-1
6. W 2-0
7. W 2-0
8. L 3-3
9. W 2-0
10. L 0-2
11. W 1-0

Last edited:
I just noticed you quoted a different video than I thought. haha

Yeah the Thunderbolt missing once was annoying, but 3 times in a row I was ready to flip shit, and I rarely get agitated by a Pokémon battle.
I wouldn't blame you. I thought you had that game. Thanks for sharing!

First post, and first time ever trying to put together a competitive team for a specific meta, and I think I failed pretty bad... All of my Pokes are either improperly equipped or are just things I threw together at the last minute from random stuff in my box and thus they don't have the right nature/ability (see Skarmory).

Out of everything, the one that I'm actually the most impressed with is the Starmie, because I just had it lying around and decided to train it up. It hits pretty hard with Psyshock. I haven't had much luck with Kangaskhan or Heracross, and Stealth Rock Tyranitar is way too slow as a lead. Zapdos seems pretty par for this competition, but since mine's not EV trained his HP Ice is more like a gentle winter breeze against all the bulky Dragonites.

Other than obvious problems (bad natures/items) that can be solved by looking up their smogon dex entries, I'd love any tips/tricks for how to make this team better/viable.

Tyranitar @ Nothing (accidentally took off his Leftovers...)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Quirky Nature
- Crunch
- Roar
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: None
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice

Heracross @ Focus Band
Ability: Guts
Naive Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

Starmie @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Rash Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Roost
- Taunt

zapzap29

First post, and first time ever trying to put together a competitive team for a specific meta, and I think I failed pretty bad... All of my Pokes are either improperly equipped or are just things I threw together at the last minute from random stuff in my box and thus they don't have the right nature/ability (see Skarmory).

Out of everything, the one that I'm actually the most impressed with is the Starmie, because I just had it lying around and decided to train it up. It hits pretty hard with Psyshock. I haven't had much luck with Kangaskhan or Heracross, and Stealth Rock Tyranitar is way too slow as a lead. Zapdos seems pretty par for this competition, but since mine's not EV trained his HP Ice is more like a gentle winter breeze against all the bulky Dragonites.

Other than obvious problems (bad natures/items) that can be solved by looking up their smogon dex entries, I'd love any tips/tricks for how to make this team better/viable.

Tyranitar @ Nothing (accidentally took off his Leftovers...)
Ability: Sand Stream
Quirky Nature
- Crunch
- Roar
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: None
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice

Heracross @ Focus Band
Ability: Guts
Naive Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

Starmie @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Rash Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Roost
- Taunt
Are you asking on how to improve your team because you want to do better in the tournament? Have you started playing already? If you want some pokemon to use and you haven't started yet I've got some EV trained pokemon and items you can use.

Are you asking on how to improve your team because you want to do better in the tournament? Have you started playing already? If you want some pokemon to use and you haven't started yet I've got some EV trained pokemon and items you can use.
I started playing, unfortunately.

(But wouldn't mind some tips as to how to best use what I've got)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)