[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

First post, and first time ever trying to put together a competitive team for a specific meta, and I think I failed pretty bad... All of my Pokes are either improperly equipped or are just things I threw together at the last minute from random stuff in my box and thus they don't have the right nature/ability (see Skarmory).

Out of everything, the one that I'm actually the most impressed with is the Starmie, because I just had it lying around and decided to train it up. It hits pretty hard with Psyshock. I haven't had much luck with Kangaskhan or Heracross, and Stealth Rock Tyranitar is way too slow as a lead. Zapdos seems pretty par for this competition, but since mine's not EV trained his HP Ice is more like a gentle winter breeze against all the bulky Dragonites.

Other than obvious problems (bad natures/items) that can be solved by looking up their smogon dex entries, I'd love any tips/tricks for how to make this team better/viable.
This gets frustrating for me.

I have a day where I go 5-6 and wonder why I am a 37 year old man playing Pokémon.

Then the next day I go 8-3 and go back to looking for tweaks to make to my team and figure out what I did wrong the day before.

I seriously seem stuck at just a little better than .500.

And I'll admit, I don't practice much on Showdown, for some reason Showdown is very laggy for me. I mean on the PS4, 3DS, and anything else that uses my DSL, I have amazing connection.

I have been in different leagues and most turn out to be battle, report results, and never talk about the battles.

I like the formats the PGL put up. This is a fun format to play.

Anyway, to quit my ranting.

Your team does not look bad. I myself would remove some of the fluff and put another attack. Like I know with Skarmory Spikes may be a wasted slot, ability would be better as Sturdy. I am not sure what your IVs are, but in level 50 battles making sure your EVs match up to the IVs. Rash is also a nature that promotes negative growth to Special Defense, but you then have 252 EVs in SpD.

Reading up on breeding mechanics and IVs/EVs may be helpful.

Please don't take what I said as a negative. I am not an expert on battling. I do like that you used Tyranitar in a support role. In a 3v3 Stealth Rock is not needed as much, which could free up a move slot to add Earthquake or another coverage move. I would keep Roar though, as it removes Pokémon that think they can setup on Ttar.

I finished 28-17. Most of my team probably isn't even considered viable, but I just felt like having fun with this competition
upload_2016-5-29_0-0-33.png

I felt like using Gligar because it looks cool to me, and its only usable set it stall and it did a good job checking physical attackers even if they had ice type moves. Knock off was used over Earthquake because my team is really weak to gengar and most things weak to eq switched out anyway. Guillotine was fun for sniping machamp and eventually hitting anything immune to toxic or simply as a last ditch attack before fainting. Since Gligar checked physical attackers, I needed something for special attackers, so since Gligar took up the eviolite I used Blissey to absorb special attacks and do more toxic stalling while also providing heal bell support. Obviously steel types are immune to toxic so I added Magneton to trap and remove them with HP Fire. Early bird Kangaskhan was for fake out and also a Venusaur check and my own Venusaur was for more stalling and also a rain check. I also needed something for checking setup sweepers, and since the whole team already has quite a few flaws, I decided not to use a phaser, but instead I used ditto. Sweeping entire teams with ditto has to be one of the most fun and hilarious things ever and its actually quite easy to pull off by allowing the foe to get easy boosts and then turning it against them. It probably wouldn't have worked as well if I got into the higher ratings, but ditto actually the most fun member of the team.
Here's some ditto highlights
C3CG-WWWW-WW46-88WP
EQXG-WWWW-WW46-87RS
BT5G-WWWW-WW46-8838
MEKW-WWWW-WW46-87NQ

Last edited:

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
Went 31-13. Due to a couple of opponents who disconnected against me day one, the ladder considered me to have played 15 matched on day one despite only having played 14.

johto classic team.png

The team did what it was supposed to for the most part. Machamp was definitely the MVP of the team. It's an amazing lead and in most games it put massive holes in my opponent's team. It almost always took down at least one pokemon, and in certain cases 2 or even 3. The Showdown ladder was somewhat different from the Cartridge ladder. I expected there to be tons of players abusing the Moody Smeargle/Espeon core but I didn't encounter a single user of this core. In fact, I only encountered 1 moody abuser in the 44 games I played. Espeon by itself was pretty common, more so than on Showdown. There were way more Minimize Clefables than expected and a fair number of the matches I lost were due to those obnoxious pink blobs. The rest I expected to see. Tons of Azumarill, Dragonite, Gengar, Alakazam, Entei, Suicune, Raikou, and Arcanine. Knowing this, I'd change just a few things about my team. I'd definitely swap out Thunder Punch on Dragonite for Iron Head. There were very few situations where Thunder Punch was actually useful at all for me, whereas Iron Head would've helped out a lot against the abundance of Clefables both standard and Minimize. I'd also go with a more standard set on Quagsire with Recover/Toxic over Rest/Sleep Talk.

I'm a little disappointed with my results. I choked in a few matches that I could have won and that made me a little salty. Overall though, I guess I didn't do too badly considering this is my first ever bring 6 pick 3 competition and only the second Battle Spot competition I've actively participated in. My overall score was 1730-40ish so hopefully that's high enough to put me in the top 200 or so. Thanks for all the support, this thread was a great help in preparing for the competition. Good luck to everyone that is still competing.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've only started playing today due to being super busy irl yesterday (got home at 10pm last night and was too tired to do anything), hopefully I can fit in a good amount of games today because I can't stay up all night like I usually do with these.

Had a pretty rough start, going 4W:3L. First loss was to a crit KO on my Ttar so I couldn't reset sand, which allowed him set up his CM + Grass Knot Espeon (Sandslash swept his team under sand otherwise), then I ran into a very interesting team of lead Butterfree with Stun Spore and Flash, followed up by Sub + Double Team + Baton Pass Jolteon passing to King's Rock Cloyster. If I managed to avoid the flinch from Icicle Spear and hit through +2 evasion he had a dead Cloyster and a loss next to his name, but unfortunately he got away with it. Last loss was to a standard MiniClef that I had nothing for. I haven't brought my Persian core at all yet, but it would have won all the games I lost, so I think I need to be more confident in choosing it.

All my wins so far have been dominated by Zapdos. Haven't seen a Ground-type in my limited battles...

First post, and first time ever trying to put together a competitive team for a specific meta, and I think I failed pretty bad... All of my Pokes are either improperly equipped or are just things I threw together at the last minute from random stuff in my box and thus they don't have the right nature/ability (see Skarmory).

Out of everything, the one that I'm actually the most impressed with is the Starmie, because I just had it lying around and decided to train it up. It hits pretty hard with Psyshock. I haven't had much luck with Kangaskhan or Heracross, and Stealth Rock Tyranitar is way too slow as a lead. Zapdos seems pretty par for this competition, but since mine's not EV trained his HP Ice is more like a gentle winter breeze against all the bulky Dragonites.

Other than obvious problems (bad natures/items) that can be solved by looking up their smogon dex entries, I'd love any tips/tricks for how to make this team better/viable.

Tyranitar @ Nothing (accidentally took off his Leftovers...)
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Quirky Nature
- Crunch
- Roar
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: None
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice

Heracross @ Focus Band
Ability: Guts
Naive Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Close Combat

Starmie @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Rash Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Roost
- Taunt
Bad natures on Tyranitar, Skarmory & Heracross kill any great chances because I assume you haven't bred for IVs. You have to assume that everything you face us perfect.

It's not viable. At this point you're playing for fun.

I've only started playing today due to being super busy irl yesterday (got home at 10pm last night and was too tired to do anything), hopefully I can fit in a good amount of games today because I can't stay up all night like I usually do with these.

Had a pretty rough start, going 4W:3L. First loss was to a crit KO on my Ttar so I couldn't reset sand, which allowed him set up his CM + Grass Knot Espeon (Sandslash swept his team under sand otherwise), then I ran into a very interesting team of lead Butterfree with Stun Spore and Flash, followed up by Sub + Double Team + Baton Pass Jolteon passing to King's Rock Cloyster. If I managed to avoid the flinch from Icicle Spear and hit through +2 evasion he had a dead Cloyster and a loss next to his name, but unfortunately he got away with it. Last loss was to a standard MiniClef that I had nothing for. I haven't brought my Persian core at all yet, but it would have won all the games I lost, so I think I need to be more confident in choosing it.

All my wins so far have been dominated by Zapdos. Haven't seen a Ground-type in my limited battles...
I ran a DD Tyranitar with DD, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Crunch. I for some reason gave him a Smooth Rock and I am glad I did. I think I had 2 matches out of 21 battles where sand ran out. My 22nd battle I did not lead or bring Ttar and I lost a stall war with Snorlax. 3-3 loss due to the game timer running out.

I was actually shocked at the Pokémon I was faster than, even before I DD.

I usually used Sandslash as a revenge killer when I saw my opponent's team with a Gengar.

I had 1 Gengar Destiny Bond, only to be holding a Focus Sash, which sand finished him off.

Life Orb Focus Blast was a pain.

Oh and 1 Poliwrath that tried to Dynamic Punch my Ttar.

Sand was fun in this format and actually surprised me with some of the teams it took down.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head

Heracross @ Focus Band
Ability: Guts
Naive Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
We did it DragonWhale. The legend is here.

Also finally started my games really later but I've got a solid record at the moment, I believe 14-2 or 15-2 and some pretty competent opponents showing up now. My two losses were pretty dumb, the first was a supposed 3-0 but Suicune got crit and then I misclicked with Magneton against a weakened Scizor and he was lucky enough to barely survive Flash Cannon. Still very mad about that loss, the second one was a good matchup for me but I lost solely because of an disadvantageous lead matchup which bugged me a bit.

Interestingly enough, the only Grounds I've seen are Steelix, a Dugtrio and the Nidos with 0 Piloswine or Donphan in sight. Aside from a rain team with Omastar and Politoed, the only Waters I've seen on real teams so far are Suicune, Lapras and Starmie, the latter of which being the only one I saw beyond Team Preview which proved to be a bit of a nuisance. I've also seen no Baton Pass setups. The only one Clefable I've seen so far was in my last game, which was promptly ruined by Crobat despite its Kee Berry (dude was like 1750+ which was probably a good 70 points above me). An ugly stall team with Sub/Toxic/Protect/Sacred Fire shiny Entei and Chansey, with Dugtrio, Scizor and Articuno at team preview, but it turns out my team has the tools to combat stall and it was over in under 15 minutes.

Taking a break now though given I've ended on that great note, I'll finish the rest later or end early depending on how I'm doing.

Just had my first lose due to disconnection... I'm very good damn salty right now. I had this Japanese player dead to freaking rights. Beat down his Choice Band Azu and SC Suicune without losing a single mon. Heracross still had focus sash intact (usually means a guaranteed ko on something in my experience). ARRGEGARAAWETHHH!!!!

After going a disappointing 10-5 day one, my internet has shit the bed and tacked on 2 more wins with 4 more losses, (1 to a BP chain, 1 dc mid match, 2 dcs at team preview). I feel really terrible about my performance right now so I think I'm going to drop for the tournament at a really awful rating of like 1550ish.

This is honestly the most disheartened I've been playing Pokemon probably ever. Prepping for Johto Cup is probably the most I've prepped for any competition since a regional back in 2012. I clocked in a lot of practice on PS, talked with several circles of friends about the rule set, but sadly, not much is showing for it. That coupled with some really soul crushing defeats (losing to a guy with three Pokemon, among them a Swagger Murkrow that got the three confusion flips it needed to win the game against a Raikou at full health) makes it feel really hard to keep going.

Still, no excuses I guess. This is the first time I've taken competitive Pokemon a little seriously since... exactly a year ago (2015 Athens Regional which was a year ago two days from now) and I've played no games of regular BSS. Rust / no prior experience from other 3v3 formats coupled together for an underwhelming performance I should have seen coming. I think I'll try getting a firm grip on normal BSS sometime this summer to be a competent competitor next time around.

It's a really sour note to go out on for what has otherwise been a very, very pleasant experience. Talking with everyone on the battle spot forums, both on here and on PS, is the most "at home" I've felt on Smogon since I was hanging around with all the cool folks in OI super frequently back in 2013-14. Thanks to all of you who made this ruleset a joy to play and learn, big shoutouts especially to nerd, Nelson Tangela, and Theorymon for being great playtesting partners and idea springboards.

I guess there's a little bit of a silver lining to the weekend too. I went to Momocon's TCG tournaments on Friday, borrowed a friends deck, and went 5-0, won the whole thing, and got $67 cash. Haven't played the TCG since like February so I guess I'm just better at mons when I don't practice at all???

(accidentally posted this in the viability rankings thread and moved here because its almost 3am)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
After going a disappointing 10-5 day one, my internet has shit the bed and tacked on 2 more wins with 4 more losses, (1 to a BP chain, 1 dc mid match, 2 dcs at team preview). I feel really terrible about my performance right now so I think I'm going to drop for the tournament at a really awful rating of like 1550ish.

This is honestly the most disheartened I've been playing Pokemon probably ever. Prepping for Johto Cup is probably the most I've prepped for any competition since a regional back in 2012. I clocked in a lot of practice on PS, talked with several circles of friends about the rule set, but sadly, not much is showing for it. That coupled with some really soul crushing defeats (losing to a guy with three Pokemon, among them a Swagger Murkrow that got the three confusion flips it needed to win the game against a Raikou at full health) makes it feel really hard to keep going.

Still, no excuses I guess. This is the first time I've taken competitive Pokemon a little seriously since... exactly a year ago (2015 Athens Regional which was a year ago two days from now) and I've played no games of regular BSS. Rust / no prior experience from other 3v3 formats coupled together for an underwhelming performance I should have seen coming. I think I'll try getting a firm grip on normal BSS sometime this summer to be a competent competitor next time around.

It's a really sour note to go out on for what has otherwise been a very, very pleasant experience. Talking with everyone on the battle spot forums, both on here and on PS, is the most "at home" I've felt on Smogon since I was hanging around with all the cool folks in OI super frequently back in 2013-14. Thanks to all of you who made this ruleset a joy to play and learn, big shoutouts especially to nerd, Nelson Tangela, and Theorymon for being great playtesting partners and idea springboards.

I guess there's a little bit of a silver lining to the weekend too. I went to Momocon's TCG tournaments on Friday, borrowed a friends deck, and went 5-0, won the whole thing, and got $67 cash. Haven't played the TCG since like February so I guess I'm just better at mons when I don't practice at all???

(accidentally posted this in the viability rankings thread and moved here because its almost 3am)
That really suck to hear, I saw all the effort you were putting into your prep and it's been awesome having you around, I hope this doesn't dishearten you too much. If you could find a way to fix your internet and play I would definitely encourage you to keep going, even just for the experience as you'll learn a lot. But I'm sure you can break out of it and get higher...

If you do retire from this though, I hope you do stay around and play some BSS!

I wanted to know if anybody else is on the receiving end of a crap ton of BS in this competition. Out of the 29 Battles I've played I've had 24 Crits against me, My Focus Sash stopped working for a good 5-6 Battles. I've counted a total of 21 Misses of Rather low Accuracy Moves but if I use Focus Blast 10 Times reason would have me believe it'd hit roughly 7 times out of those 10 give or take (and yes I understand it's RNG but the accuracy levels are based on data from the RNG If they really didn't matter they wouldn't be there). One of the reasons is I got practically stalled by a Snorlax and I could've taken it out with my Alakazam's Focus Blast. Yet I wasted 5 PP all Misses and Snorlax wakes up to hit me thus ending the game (Also another instance of my Focus Sash not working). Honestly, Idk what's going on but It's really starting to irk me. Anybody else finding similar results?

Just want to say this has been a really fun format to prep for, I've gotten to see some old friends (pokemon) shine that haven't been popular or competitive for some time and this community helped make it enjoyable. Even before I started posting I was lurking from the beginning, learning from all your expertise. I would love to battle some of you using this format's rules if you're up for it, just some fun to test our teams!

Edit: I ended with 30W-15L. Not as good as I was hoping to get, but it turned out alright.

Last edited:

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
I wanted to know if anybody else is on the receiving end of a crap ton of BS in this competition. Out of the 29 Battles I've played I've had 24 Crits against me, My Focus Sash stopped working for a good 5-6 Battles. I've counted a total of 21 Misses of Rather low Accuracy Moves but if I use Focus Blast 10 Times reason would have me believe it'd hit roughly 7 times out of those 10 give or take (and yes I understand it's RNG but the accuracy levels are based on data from the RNG If they really didn't matter they wouldn't be there). One of the reasons is I got practically stalled by a Snorlax and I could've taken it out with my Alakazam's Focus Blast. Yet I wasted 5 PP all Misses and Snorlax wakes up to hit me thus ending the game (Also another instance of my Focus Sash not working). Honestly, Idk what's going on but It's really starting to irk me. Anybody else finding similar results?
Seems like you've just been having some bad luck man. It's the nature of the game for better or worse. I know it's frustrating but just try to shake it off.

The stuff about the Focus Sash shouldn't be happening though, so either you have a fundamental misunderstanding about how Focus Sash works, you're using the wrong item, or your game is glitched (unlikely). Focus Sash will only work if your pokemon is at full health and an attack would otherwise kill them. I'd check to make sure that you're using the Focus Sash and not the Focus Band. If you're actually using the Focus Sash and it's not activating from one hit kills at full health, there's something wrong with your game and there's nothing you can really do about that.

I finished 28-17. Most of my team probably isn't even considered viable, but I just felt like having fun with this competition
View attachment 62742
I felt like using Gligar because it looks cool to me, and its only usable set it stall and it did a good job checking physical attackers even if they had ice type moves. Knock off was used over Earthquake because my team is really weak to gengar and most things weak to eq switched out anyway. Guillotine was fun for sniping machamp and eventually hitting anything immune to toxic or simply as a last ditch attack before fainting. Since Gligar checked physical attackers, I needed something for special attackers, so since Gligar took up the eviolite I used Blissey to absorb special attacks and do more toxic stalling while also providing heal bell support. Obviously steel types are immune to toxic so I added Magneton to trap and remove them with HP Fire. Early bird Kangaskhan was for fake out and also a Venusaur check and my own Venusaur was for more stalling and also a rain check. I also needed something for checking setup sweepers, and since the whole team already has quite a few flaws, I decided not to use a phaser, but instead I used ditto. Sweeping entire teams with ditto has to be one of the most fun and hilarious things ever and its actually quite easy to pull off by allowing the foe to get easy boosts and then turning it against them. It probably wouldn't have worked as well if I got into the higher ratings, but ditto actually the most fun member of the team.
Here's some ditto highlights
C3CG-WWWW-WW46-88WP
EQXG-WWWW-WW46-87RS
BT5G-WWWW-WW46-8838
MEKW-WWWW-WW46-87NQ
This may be a stupid question, but how do I use those codes to view your replays? I tried up the Vs. Recorder but that didn't seem to be the way lol. Thanks in advance.

We did it DragonWhale. The legend is here.

Also finally started my games really later but I've got a solid record at the moment, I believe 14-2 or 15-2 and some pretty competent opponents showing up now. My two losses were pretty dumb, the first was a supposed 3-0 but Suicune got crit and then I misclicked with Magneton against a weakened Scizor and he was lucky enough to barely survive Flash Cannon. Still very mad about that loss, the second one was a good matchup for me but I lost solely because of an disadvantageous lead matchup which bugged me a bit.

Interestingly enough, the only Grounds I've seen are Steelix, a Dugtrio and the Nidos with 0 Piloswine or Donphan in sight. Aside from a rain team with Omastar and Politoed, the only Waters I've seen on real teams so far are Suicune, Lapras and Starmie, the latter of which being the only one I saw beyond Team Preview which proved to be a bit of a nuisance. I've also seen no Baton Pass setups. The only one Clefable I've seen so far was in my last game, which was promptly ruined by Crobat despite its Kee Berry (dude was like 1750+ which was probably a good 70 points above me). An ugly stall team with Sub/Toxic/Protect/Sacred Fire shiny Entei and Chansey, with Dugtrio, Scizor and Articuno at team preview, but it turns out my team has the tools to combat stall and it was over in under 15 minutes.

Taking a break now though given I've ended on that great note, I'll finish the rest later or end early depending on how I'm doing.
I wish I hadn't seen any Piloswine or Donphan. It felt like I never had a good answer for Piloswine, at least not with me when they picked it lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey all! I hope everyone's having fun with the competition. For those who had their opponents disconnected from the Johto Classic match (or ragequit), what error messages have you been getting on your DS? Thanks!

Good morning from central US! I probably won't have time to play any matches on the final day today so here was my line up:

johtoclassicteam.gif

I'm happy I actually went 5-5 yesterday as its better than I thought I would do. I'm rather pleased by the outcome considering very minimal prep went to this as I decided to play at the last minute. I also don't spend a lot of time competitive battling. My own critiques about my team are that Typhlosion didn't work out like I hoped as I never could get Sunny Day setup for himself. Magneton was also kind of disappointing as it wasn't as bulky as I hoped even with Eviolite and everybody had Earthquake. My Crobat surprised me as Confuse Ray worked out pretty good, I really got lucky on those flips, Poison Fang also proc'd poison more often which was very fortunate, but I never found a spot for Haze and no one ran Pokémon weak to flying. Gyarados' Ice Fang attack caught a couple of Dragonites by surprise. Alakazam and Umbreon performed as intended. Enjoy the videos!

Z5NG-WWWW-WW46-B3JN - Zam threatens to sweep! Does she go the distance?
N7QW-WWWW-WW46-BXSF - Zam misses Focus Blast out of the gate and puts us behind the proverbial 8-ball early. Can we comeback?
8YTW-WWWW-WW46-B3R7 - Umbreon must take on a paralyzed Dragonite so its role is hampered considerably. Can he do it?

Hey all! I hope everyone's having fun with the competition. For those who had their opponents disconnected from the Johto Classic match (or ragequit), what error messages have you been getting on your DS? Thanks!
Usually it says "Communication interrupted with the other Trainer" which it's a rage quit or their internet crapped out. When it's on your end, it's "An Error Occurred".

Speaking of which, I'm 7-2 with one loss being my internet DC'ing on me. I hope they don't DQ me for it like last time, bit I honestly doubt I'll have time to fit every battle in anyway since I had tons of last minute training to get done.

Usually it says "Communication interrupted with the other Trainer" which it's a rage quit or their internet crapped out. When it's on your end, it's "An Error Occurred".

Speaking of which, I'm 7-2 with one loss being my internet DC'ing on me. I hope they don't DQ me for it like last time, bit I honestly doubt I'll have time to fit every battle in anyway since I had tons of last minute training to get done.
Cool, thanks for the info! I just had one opponent "disconnected" during the animation of my finishing move. However, I got an error that said "A communication error has occurred". It was the first time I got that error and my Internet has been working well. Also, I am not sure whether the errors are the same as a normal Wi-Fi battle. I think I was still connected and remember the game brought me to the blue screen. Has anyone in this thread experienced this?

Hello all, I hope those who are still participating are having fun and remember not to throw your 3ds across the room whenever Sheer Cold connects three times in a row! Haha, jokes aside I just finished playing all 45 matches, and man, it was a blast. I chocked and misplayed a lot today, maybe because I got anxious since I almost breaking out of the 1700s, but it matters not. I ended the competition with an 32-13 score and a rating somewhere around 1780. Definitely could've done better, but considering this the 1st competition I've actually participated until the very end, and my 1st 3v3 tournament ever; I'm more than satisfied with the results!

Here's my battlebox if you guys want to check it out. Kinda sad I didn't get to use Tangela as much as I wanted to, but oh well.

Last edited:
Very disappointing competition end for me, I started off so well but the last two days were simply disastrous. I honestly wasn't even going to post here again after how shit went but once I showered and calmed my tits, I figured I should post to get any feedback that could help me in the future possibly and of course to congratulate those that participated and were able to win 30 or more. I had set a 30 mark for myself and was almost there but the last few matches I lost I suffered crucial misses or crit hits against me. I only had two disconnects and both were on me due to my poor wifi connection, doesn't mean I would have won the matches as both were early on and anything could have happened, I won't make any excuses. One thing I definitely I should have done was kept Donphan on my team as opposed to skarmory, on PS my Skarmory set shut down Azu, Drago, Scizor and Venusaur but in-game it was rendered useless and just took up space, electic type pokemon with any ice or fire coverage killed my team. This was a really frustrating competition for me because so many matches could have been differently had I not missed or was hit by crit hits, the end result is what it is & thus I think I'll be taking a break from competitive play for a good while.

Day 1: 13-2

Day 2: 9-6

Day 3: 7-8

Competition End: 29-16

The Team

Battle Vids
6SBW-WWWW-WW46-BFUT

Z6WG-WWWW-WW46-BYGT

4RJW-WWWW-WW46-BYYH

JUYG-WWWW-WW46-BYK3

G99W-WWWW-WW46-BK4C

T26G-WWWW-WW46-BK5W

I'm done battling and ended up with 25-19 and just a bit below the 1600 mark. First day was a catastrophe with a 6-9 win rate, while the second day was a lot better at 12-2. I felt confident about today and got a good start, but once I started going into the high 1600's I just met the weirdest things from the Japanese like Explosion Sudowoodo lead, Feint Scizor and special attacking Blissey with Expert Belt, and they all caught me completely off guard, and I met with a terrible streak of losses again, 7-8 third day. On the second day, one of my opponents disconnected on team select and I was debited a battle but wasn't awarded either a win or a loss, so I played only 44 matches in total but the game thinks I played 45.

My absolute MVP was without a doubt Unaware Quagsire, especially when paired with my Choice Specs Espeon, which was my 2nd MVP. People almost never expected the Stockpile stall, and a lot of people simply didn't understand the nature of the Unaware ability and gladly set up on Quagsire while I just continued to Stockpile my way to victory. Dragonite and Azumarill, which I had on the team simply because they were the strongest Pokémon around, didn't come to use that often, although they certainly tore through once I did use them. My other two Pokémon were Lanturn (which I had painstakingly bred for HP fire just a couple of days before the competition) and Gengar, which both pulled their weights a lot. Lanturn was great against a lot of the electric type Pokémon roaming around, and against people who were unprepared for it in general, and Gengar was great to deal with fairies and also as a suicide mon with Destiny Bond to take out a lot of threats I otherwise would've been unable to, winning me a lot of matches. The famous Focus Sash Machamp lead was my absolute biggest nightmare, I could not beat that thing without losing two Pokémon, so I never won a battle where the opponent used it. I also met a LOT of people with Grass moves as coverage, which was a bad thing for me considering I had 3 water types on my team, which was a big contributor to my horrible first day record, along with a bunch of horrible misplays. After that I always assumed things like Gengar, Alakazam, and especially Espeon, considering I had Grass Knot on it myself, to great success, to have Grass coverage. I also met surprisingly many Freeze-Dry users. Half the Japanese I met were OHKO users, but I only lost to one of them in a very close bout only because his Suicune managed to hit the first Sheer Cold he used. It was also the only user of Sheer Cold Suicune I met this competition.

All said and done, I think I might've overused water types for this competition since so many people had things to cover them. If I were to start over again, I would probably have replaced Dragonite and Azumarill with Pokémon able to deal with threats I ended up being completely bodied by, and probably a cleric like Umbreon to deal with things like Toxic stall which I just couldn't deal with if I didn't see it coming and didn't bring Espeon for the fight. Otherwise I'm happy with my performance though I'm sad I didn't manage to break the 1600 mark.

Here are some replays

V9KW-WWWW-WW46-B7HW
N2GG-WWWW-WW46-B938 (yes, that appears to be a defensive Starmie with minimize+toxic)
NBXG-WWWW-WW46-BAVT (this one is a boring stall battle)
YVFW-WWWW-WW46-BC37
DQPW-WWWW-WW46-BDBX (Horn Drill instead of Earthquake? ok)
7HFW-WWWW-WW46-BKGK
MU9W-WWWW-WW46-BF75

Reactions: Tox
I had Thunderbolt miss 3 times in a row and cost me a battle. I assume my opponent had Bright Powder, as Thunderbolt is 100% accuracy, or he used Double Team and I just missed seeing it.

Rock Slide missed a lot.

I had 0 burns with Scald, my opponents Scald burnt me every time.

Rough Play missed a few times costing me battles.

I don't understand it either, but I seem to have that bad luck following me around.

My only highlight of luck being on my side is 1 battle where Rock Slide flinched my opponent 4 times in a row.

This is usually why I give up power for more accuracy.

Very disappointing competition end for me, I started off so well but the last two days were simply disastrous. I honestly wasn't even going to post here again
Nah man, it's no big deal at all and your result isn't even the worst. Honestly, the best advice I can give you is to forget about getting a high ranking and just concentrate on enjoying each match individually. If you're constantly worrying about losing and fucking up your score, then you're definitely gonna choke and make bad plays—I know I did. Hopefully we'll see you around in future competitions!

My absolute MVP was without a doubt Unaware Quagsire... ...and a lot of people simply didn't understand the nature of the Unaware ability and gladly set up on Quagsire...
oh my god, yes. This happened so fucking much, even as I progressed in the ladder it still happened. I had to get near 1800 to have people stop setting up in front of Quagsire and just straight up nuke it with Choice Item-powered moves. Quagsire was definitely my MVP as well, I wouldn't have won plenty of my matches without it.

I got walled by SkarmBliss more times than I expected it's not even funny. I quit the competition, I had 12-3 day 1 and 11-4 day two but 3rd day was full of really bad BS. I decided to stop playing. I was getting mad at that shit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)