Charizard X [2/3]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Mandibuzz and Landorus-T as good checks. The first OHKOes a +1 Char after it takes Flare Blitz recoil and the latter OHKOes with EQ after Flare Blitz recoil or 50% of the time from max health.

On the bulky set, I think Fire Punch would be preferable. You're trying to tank hits, and with no lefties Flare Blitz recoil can really hurt that. With tough claws, fire punch still reaches a good base power too.

Could Thunder Punch (100 BP with Tough Claws) have some use as a coverage move? (I have zero experience, just asking.)
I think it does have some merits on Charizard-X. While it doesn't provide the coverage that Earthquake does, it gives Charizard-X an option to deal with some switch ins without locking him into Outrage or taking Flare Blitz recoil. Notably, it also allows Charizard X while at +1 to Guaranteed OHKO Azumarill with Stealth Rock up.

If not fully deserving of a slash, it is at least worth mentioning in the Options Section.

Last edited:
All the grounded Pokemon are affected by Sticky Web. Scarf users like Garchomp, Keldeo and Terrakion are all slower than Zard X after it Dragon Dances once.

Edit: I fixed that line for clarity.

Yes, Skarmory and Ferrothorn do lose to it, but you are forced to Flare Blitz and lose a ton of HP in the process. In the case of Ferrothorn its even worse due to Iron Barbs and the possible Rocky Helmet. Gothitelle can trap them to help Zard conserve HP by not having to Flare Blitz as much.

All the grounded Pokemon are affected by Sticky Web. Scarf users like Garchomp, Keldeo and Terrakion are all slower than Zard X after it Dragon Dances once.
I know what sticky web does, what I don't understand is why it's worth mentioning. Yes, faster scarfers will outspeed, but that applies to every dragon dancer in OU, and IIRC none of their analyses mention sticky web. It just seems unnecessary IMO, especially since sticky web has atrocious distribution, is difficult to keep up, and is only marginally useful to Charizard X.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely remove Ferrothorn and Skarmory as Pokemon for Goth to remove; Mega Char X uses Flare Blitz against a ton of Pokemon, it is its main STAB move. Yeah losing 12,5% more damage sucks, but not enough to bring it up as an example. Just mention Pokemon that are strong checks or counters to Mega Char X.

As for Sticky Web, i really am not sure. I mean, it definitely helps Mega Char X a lot against scarfers, leaving only priority, Pokemon that can take a hit at +1, and recoil to take down this beast, but most teams don't rely on scarfers to deal with Mega Char X anyway. Add the crapiness and limited viability of all the Sticky Web users in OU, and i think that Sticky Web is too specific to mention. If Scarf users were more common, maybe it would be worth adding, but atm not really.

I think Jolly should be slashed before Adamant on the first set because Charizard really needs to outspeed certain things before DDing (i.e. Charizard really hates being outsped by Jolly Excadrill).

Since Fire Punch isn't possible for Wi-Fi in terms of that its only Transfer Moves what would you guys say is a good replacement, I would assume Fire Fang or would you just stick with Flare Blitz?

Last edited:
I know it's late into QC but I'm surprised no-one has came across this set

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz/Dragon Claw
- Focus Punch
- Roost
- Substitute

This set abuses the fact that charizard can learn focus punch and that focus punch is affected by tough claws too. You can come in on something like ferrothorn for example, sub up as they switch out or bravely try to leech seed, roost back your hp if you came in on sr, then proceed to destroy teams from behind a sub. Focus Punch is your way of getting past Heatran and Blissey/Chansey who are trouble due to recoil damage and you have no boosting move. Flare Blitz is thrown in for a hard hitting stab that hits neutral on fairies that would otherwise wall you if you ran Dclaw+FocusPunch. Focus Punch is preferred over EQ on this set since with Tough Claws Focus Punch is 195 BP, while EQ remains at 100. Since Flare Blitz is 224 BP with stab and Tough Claws you can see that this set requires no boosting moves.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 770-908 (107.8 - 127.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 564-664 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 406-478 (105.1 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With a FP/FB combo you can 1-2hko quite a lot of pokemon, the only known exceptions to me at the moment are Charizard-Ys, Chandelure, Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp (who survives and outspeeds), as well as Noivern (though infiltrator sucks at least it demotes it to a check) which is why Dragon Claw is slashed on the set so you can prioritise which may be bigger threats to your team.

I included a replay to show you what I'm talking about

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-77063597

Once again, sorry that it's so late in QC I just don't check these analyses much.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Add Rhyperior as a counter now that it's getting an analysis. Also, no to Focus Punch it's useless, you already OHKO Heatran with EQ and 2HKO Chansey and Blissey with your Fire STABs or OHKO them at +1.

It's not really useless, since the amount of recoil damage you take from Flare Blitzing Chansey and Blissey to death will end up in you being dead or wasting roost pp while they heal up too and as you can see Dragon Claw is slashed on the set in case you forgo Flare Blitz all together in an effort to beat a whole new set of checks. Focus Punch is for a lot more things than Heatran, and the pink blobs it's for a SE hit on all the steels (except skarm) who will give you trouble by running dragon claw, if you're running Flare Blitz then Focus Punch deals a rather amount of damage to Fires, Waters, Dragons that resist Flare Blitz. You choose a stab depending on what you need Charizard to be able to beat and you mix it with Focus Punch and you have one of the most devastating sub-punchers in Gen 6. Not to mention being behind a sub you're immune to all the status's that would otherwise prevent your sweep or hinder it immensely.

This is the kind of damage it can dish out...

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 182-215 (50.2 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Who btw is capable of surviving even +3 dragon claws without investment, just lost over half their HP which could be game changing since they have no recovery method outside of rest.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 600-708 (148.5 - 175.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Who would resist Flare Blitz and is bulky enough to not care about Dragon Claw either.

252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 255-300 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rhyperior hates trying to counter this set, a combination of Focus Punch and a Dragon Claw has a 33% roughly to 2HKO

This is all assuming you want to run jolly which you can run adamant instead which makes Rhyperior a guaranteed 2hko after a Focus Punch and a Dragon Claw, it makes Mega Blastoise a 2HKO Focus Punch - DClaw candidate too, every dragon except for Noivern can't even check you. Absolutely nothing in the game wants to risk switching into this kind of set until it's been fully scouted and by the time that's happened most of their team will be battered and bruised. Fairies can't risk a Flare Blitz, Dragons can't risk the DClaw. SubPunch ZardX is a monster in this generation.

EQ is terrible on this set up....

252 Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Tyranitar: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 94-111 (25.9 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

By using Focus Punch, you miss out on a STAB Dragon move for major coverage. Like what was said earlier, Mega Charizard X can 2HKO most of the opposition with even without a boost. I think FP is just far too gimmicky to warrant a major set of its own.

D/Claw is slashed on the set along with Flare Bitz, you don't miss out on anything you can choose whichever stab you want to use.... sub-punch is far from a gimmick, I've already stated it's uses to get past bulkier threats that are either 3hko by dragon claw/resist flare blitz or all of the above.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Take a look at Mega Char's checks and counters. None of them give a flying fuck about Focus Punch except from Heatran, which is already covered by EQ, a way better move. If you want to take care of the blobs without recoil you can always 2HKO Blissey with Dragon Claw on the switch, or 2HKO Chansey after a DD. Focus Punch requires you to carry Sub and deals with none of Mega Char X's checks and counters, so it's an absolutely useless move on it.

- Landorus-T - cares about being able to intimidate and duh intimidate doesn't penetrate subs...
- Talonflame - cares about being able to hit Charizard and not it's sub and is wrecked by dragon claw
- Choice scarf user like Garchomp, Terrakion, Latios - AGAIN YOU'RE RUNNING A SUB SET THEY CAN'T HIT YOU BEHIND YOUR SUB AND THEY DIE TO EITHER FOCUS PUNCH OR DCLAW.
- Status: Poison and Paralysis makes sweeping harder: Slowbro, Klefki, Gliscor. KLEFKI WHY YOU NO PARA ME? OH I HAZ SUB! GLISCOR WHY YOU NO TOXIC ME? OH I HAZ SUB!

SubPunch does more than just spamming focus punch for charizard X, it makes it very difficult to be able to check or even revenge kill.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
- Landorus-T - cares about being able to intimidate and duh intimidate doesn't penetrate subs...
- Talonflame - cares about being able to hit Charizard and not it's sub and is wrecked by dragon claw
- Choice scarf user like Garchomp, Terrakion, Latios - AGAIN YOU'RE RUNNING A SUB SET THEY CAN'T HIT YOU BEHIND YOUR SUB AND THEY DIE TO EITHER FOCUS PUNCH OR DCLAW.
- Status: Poison and Paralysis makes sweeping harder: Slowbro, Klefki, Gliscor. KLEFKI WHY YOU NO PARA ME? OH I HAZ SUB! GLISCOR WHY YOU NO TOXIC ME? OH I HAZ SUB!

SubPunch does more than just spamming focus punch for charizard X, it makes it very difficult to be able to check or even revenge kill.
Revenge killers usually don't switch into Mega Char X directly, they do it after something dies. And most of the stuff that die to Mega Char X would prefer to attack it than to switch out, if you don't have any reliable check to it (and if you have, why the fuck do you want to bring your revenge killer to deal with it?).

Against Lando-T, you are better off hitting it with Flare Blitz once as it comes in or weaken it with other pokes, and at late-game, OHKO it after you get a DD and sweep. Also, Sub does nothing against Intimidate because Lando-T switches directly into Mega Char X and Intimidate takes effect before you make a move.

Finally, DON'T SET UP AGAINST STATUS USERS, especially against ones that can beat you one on one (Gliscor and Slowbro). You lose against those Pokemon one on one anyway, so i don't see what your point is.

I have them all covered on the set with a / between flare blitz and dragon claw. The SubPunch strat does work the same as the DDance one (bring it in on something it will wall or force a switch), except instead of dancing you're setting up a sub to stop things from status'ing you, yeh I know they're just going to want to stay in, like if you check the video I posted with the set the guy chooses to try and leech seed me with his ferrothorn while he thinks I'm gonna dragon dance or just kill him so he can get a check in, except I sub up and from that point in nothing really wanted to be able to switch in (Noivern might of but he didn't know I wasn't running Dclaw, which I've already stated that until you're fully scouted it's difficult to swap in and ended up with him sacrificing his mega mawille.).

It's far from a gimmick set, it's aimed at using charizard-x ability to it's maximum potential with devastatingly high powered moves. If you run the calcs yourself and test it in battle you'll find out just how well it does. The set btw I posted should be Jolly / Adamant depending on what you wanna outspeed etc

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Why isn't Swords Dance mentioned somewhere? I just ran some calcs and after one SD there is literally nothing in OU that can wall it sure it can't sweep like DD, but it is propably the best wallbreaker in the game (or not, but a Pokemon with two 120 BP stabs that have almost perfect coverage alone, 159 base Atk and an ability that boosts its contact attacks should have SD mentioned somewhere).

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Landorus-T: 322-381 (84.2 - 99.7%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 327-385 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 306-361 (75.7 - 89.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 330-388 (93.2 - 109.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 234-276 (76.9 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Mega Charizard X Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 306-362 (94.4 - 111.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 355-418 (83.7 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Thick Fat Mega Venusaur: 350-414 (96.1 - 113.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gyarados: 319-376 (80.9 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 343-405 (87 - 102.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dual Dance is great on zard. Let's it destroy offensive and defensive teams, and doesn't miss the moveslot that bad. I generally prefer Roost, but SD should definitely get a slash or at least an AC (or whatever it's called these days) mention.

- Has great bulk and isn't 4x weak to Stealth Rock when Mega Evolved.

- It's base form however 4x weak to Stealth Rocks.
I'll give you 5 seconds to think about what you've written here.

Yeah, maybe if you Mega evolve, switch out, then switch back in, you'll only take 25% damage. But the fact that you switched out CharX is already an issue, it means you played your trump card at the wrong time.

tl;dr, take out the "not 4x weak to Stealth Rock" line, change it to "not 4x weak to Rock in general". Along the same vein, you can talk about the other weakness it happily loses (Electricity).

Srn

The Monstrous Bird of New England
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I've played with both, and I can definitely say the bulky dd set is better. Fire/Dragon is a pretty cool defensive typing and with access to roost, he can even set up on shit like defensive rotom-w, which is usually considered a check to char-x.

The biggest problem in my opinion is lando-t. He has great bulk, an intimidate to neutralize early-game set ups, and an earthquake that simply KO's you. It's a weird option, and probably not worth it, but Hp ice may be worth looking into.

0 SpA Mega Charizard X Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-T: 260-308 (68 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That's a solid chunk of damage for such a common pokemon that's used to practically keep every physical attacker on a team at bay. It makes for pretty decent lure and you can definitely wear it down to that range of damage (2 switch-ins to SR does it). The biggest problem to most teams based around a physical sweeper is more often than not lando-t (or rotom-w, but char-x isn't that worried about it). Lando-t is actually just so damn common and luring him in with an hp ice on something that usually doesn't run it could be nice to open up your other sweepers.

This isn't really a great option cuz you're not terrakion who could function with just CC and stone edge if it wanted to, you have a need for moveslots and have superior options, like dd, roost, earthquake, and even SD! (ninja'd on that one, thought about mentioning it but eh), but if you really hate lando-t like I do, I think it should be mentioned somewhere.

As for an actual option, I think thunderpunch is definitely a cool alternative over earthquake. Most heatran have to scout for earthquake, but thunderpunch is lesser seen and allows you to get past azumarill, one of your greatest counters. Getting past azumarill is basically the only reason to use thunderpunch, as dragon claw hits bulky waters a little stronger. But defeating azumarill is very important, as an azumarill might think he can belly drum on the switch or something else bad. If you have trouble with azumarill more than heatran, thunderpunch is definitely a considerable alternative.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I noticed there was already a discussion on weakening/removing Ferrothorn, but I seriously think it needs to be mentioned somewhere on the analysis. I did the calcs, and factoring in Rocky Helmet (which is, according to TIBot, the most common item on Ferro as of now), MegaZard X will be taking up to around 70% damage from the recoil, Iron Barbs, and Rocky Helmet combined, if MegaZard doesn't invest in HP. Even though it cleanly OHKOs Ferro, which is nice, using up 70% of Charizard X's to do it isn't conductive to a sweep, especially considering how vulnerable to priority, entry hazards, and passive damage MegaZard X is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)