Media Attack on Titan (final season coming!)

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I was a huge fan of the manga, but ended up quitting because the monthly waits were painful. The anime reignited my love for the series, and it seems like they're going to go with their own ending after they surpass the manga (and they'll probably do it soon)

Too much hype. It is been ok for me so far but nothing too big. Don't you guys remember what happened with SAO?
except SAO fell flat on its face after the promising first episode (and only managed to get worse from there) whereas Titan is actually good so far.

It's not the best thing ever (or even the best thing this season) but it's still a good show and I'm enjoying it.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
So I was talking with strangerdanger about episode 7 after he had just finished watching, and I wanted to hear his input on what he thinks is going on.

Basically asking for his thoughts on how Eren CLEARLY became a Titan, whats happening, etc etc you know whats up. Mostly standard shit, but we got on the subject of Eren's injection of Titan Juice from his dad, and he thought what if all titans are just humans afflicted by Titan juice.

At first I dismissed it because reasons*, but it got me thinking what if he's right? Not in the direct way, but what if ALL Titans were humans due to something like a disease... kinda like a plague that would ravage its way through all of humanity. You know, like the one that Hannes owes his life to Eren's father for, because Eren's father saved everybody from this undescribed plague.

What if that plague made it so that humans would eventually turn into titans (this would've been unknown), and that Eren's father (who did know) had developed not a complete cure, but a suppressor for the disease, thus preventing everyone from turning into titans. But then he went further, and developed a way to control the suppressor, so that normal humans could actually pseudo control the level of suppressor in their system, allowing them to turn into Titans and somewhat control the form.

I figure there's still a lot of holes and shit I'm missing, but this makes that otherwise loose-end randomly mentioned disease from the past actually relevant, and would help bridge Eren's Father's actions with that disease and also his tie into Titan Juice. Rampant speculation can still be called nothing else, but I feel like there's some level of truth to it.

I knew that what he said about all titans being badtouched by the Titan Juice was unlikely because Monkey Trouble turned Connie's village into Titans, yet clearly he could not have had any injection materials with him. So then it occurred to me what if he didn't need to have materials to do that. That the turning into Titans was like a latent disease, rather than a superpower injection like we're led to believe. That the superpower injection was in fact just a way to manage the disease.

So then that would mean Monkey Trouble wouldn't have to carry any kind of injection or something like that with him, just a disease. So carrying this plague with him, he went and turned the village into Titans by basically infecting them with whatever this disease is.

Can anybody give me a link to the site where they watched the anime? Preferably subbed, and without obnoxious ads. Thanks in advance! (I'll keep searching too.)

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Just started today and caught up. I wasn't too impressed until Episode 6 and 7 remained pretty good. I've come up with a few ideas/theories of my own but they're actually pretty similar to what Valk has posted so far so I don't see much a need to type it out in this post lol.

I feel like a lot more planning could have been done in case of titan attacks but 100 year bias and society/government being awful make it fit in the story. So far all the characters I enjoy are the ones that are shown to have strong resolutions (Eren/Misaka/Sasha/Rain Braun or whatev his name was) and all the other ones I just find annoying. Jean and Armin are probably the exceptions here as I see them as easy redemption characters.

It sounds like manga and anime might have a split so I guess I should read it afterwards?

Just started today and caught up. I wasn't too impressed until Episode 6 and 7 remained pretty good. I've come up with a few ideas/theories of my own but they're actually pretty similar to what Valk has posted so far so I don't see much a need to type it out in this post lol.

I feel like a lot more planning could have been done in case of titan attacks but 100 year bias and society/government being awful make it fit in the story. So far all the characters I enjoy are the ones that are shown to have strong resolutions (Eren/Misaka/Sasha/Rain Braun or whatev his name was) and all the other ones I just find annoying. Jean and Armin are probably the exceptions here as I see them as easy redemption characters.

It sounds like manga and anime might have a split so I guess I should read it afterwards?
Nah, the anime has pretty much stayed true to the manga, there's only been slight differences that hasn't alter the story. Ex. It wasn't raining in the manga during these last two episodes, Mikasa didn't point her sword at the leader of merchants, the manga is a bit more graphic, and there's some other things, but they're all pretty minor.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Watched all episodes of it after i found this thread and i really like it so far, the story is not too generic and quite interesting, the characters seem to be quite standart for a shounen, but there are some interesting ones and and there is no character i really dislike (Armin is a total pussy though).
As some people already mentioned the hopelessness in the current situation is fantastic and the action scenes are also really cool. I think it is a little too obvious that Eren isn't dead, but i am still interested in how he survived or turned into a Giant as it seems.

I really hope they find a way to end the anime properly and it doesn't turns out like another Claymore or even worse Berserk.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I just started the manga yesterday and I'm already 33 chapters in, but I'm enjoying it. @PKGaming, I used to hate monthlies as well, if not just for the fact that I didn't know when chapters came out and would miss them. However, All Mangas Reader notifies me when a new chapter comes out so I can read monthlies again.

@Furosuto yes,
the fact that he is not unique bothers me a bit, I feel like they didn't do enough right after he discovered his power, maybe one more arc where he uses it or something and then the government comes in and does their thing

The one problem I have is the art. There are way too many action lines, and characters are a bit hard to distinguish. Also, I feel like the faces are all drawn--I would almost say like everyone is serial killer insane. But it doesn't bother me too much.

Currently watching episode 2. My expectations for this show are extremely high. For the love of god I hope it doesn't become a SAO. It seems great.

I watched it up to 8 and it seems pretty decent. The first few episodes were really awkward at times, but 6+ has been good.

IDK if this is racist but a ton of the characters look really similar. I keep thinking a main character dies but it ends up just being a look-a-like.

I just caught up in both the anime and the manga and I have to say that I agree with V0x—the manga can get somewhat confusing because of all the action panels. I like the anime more because it's easier to follow what's going on, but the story was so good that I started the manga.

I'm a little disappointed in how Reiner and Berthold were revealed as the two pivotal titans, and my disappointment doesn't even just stem from the fact that they are the two titans from five years ago. They literally just pulled Eren aside and told him when I feel like it would have been more appropriate to reveal them in combat or something.

Also it feels like everyone is turning into a titan now which is kinda annoying. Five of the 104th squad are already revealed as titans, and there might even be more. I can overlook Berthold and Reiner's being titans, though, because I'd rather have a character that we already know be the colossal / armored titan than a person that we haven't met yet.

I'm really curious to see who the man behind the scenes is because it's obvious that Berthold, Reiner, and Annie were not working alone, and they definitely weren't the makers of the plan to end humanity. While we can assume that Eren was made a titan by his father and Annie / Berthold / Reiner were made titans by their leader, we still don't know why Ymir is a titan; additionally it's somewhat odd that all the human-titan characters bar Ymir have extraordinary abilities. Eren is 15+m and very strong, Berthold is gigantic, Reiner has armor, and Annie can harden her skin. Ymir is a 3m class titan and seemingly only has the ability to speak in English while in titan form.

My theory about the wall is that there was a creator of titans—some character we have not yet met—who backed humanity into a corner and surrounded them with walls made from titans that very few know about (the few being the priests of the strange religious sect). Maybe the pastors all have a connection to the villain we haven't been introduced to yet? Maybe Eren's father fits into all of this somehow?

It seems like most of these mysteries will be solved soon, though, when Berthold and Reiner reach their hometown. I like this story a lot and it really stinks that we have to wait an entire month for a chapter. Two chapters are probably all we need to get the answer to some of these questions, but two chapters is two months.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one who thinks that the manga artist is doing a poor job in delivering his story? I only read up to where the anime stopped to see how the original work progressed, and I was disappointed. The action scenes are rather ordinary and mundane, and a lot of his work look so unpolished and even sketch-like. His manga looks more like a rough draft than a finished work.

The anime really executed the story much better than the original author, imo. 2 things that I don't appreciate, though: 1) turning Sasha into a gluttonous girl - I only read the first 9 chapters of the manga, but I did not get the impression of Sasha being this food-obsessed girl. 2) I wished they portrayed the CPR scene accurately - the guy was REALLY dead (his lower half body was gone).

Alice

The worst taste in music
Nah, the anime has pretty much stayed true to the manga, there's only been slight differences that hasn't alter the story. Ex. It wasn't raining in the manga during these last two episodes, Mikasa didn't point her sword at the leader of merchants, the manga is a bit more graphic, and there's some other things, but they're all pretty minor.
Yeah, in fact, besides those small details diverman pointed out, the anime is like carbon copy of the manga, heck even character lines' seem to be copypasted >_>

I'm a little disappointed in how Reiner and Berthold were revealed as the two pivotal titans, and my disappointment doesn't even just stem from the fact that they are the two titans from five years ago. They literally just pulled Eren aside and told him when I feel like it would have been more appropriate to reveal them in combat or something.

Also it feels like everyone is turning into a titan now which is kinda annoying. Five of the 104th squad are already revealed as titans, and there might even be more. I can overlook Berthold and Reiner's being titans, though, because I'd rather have a character that we already know be the colossal / armored titan than a person that we haven't met yet.
I kind of felt this way when I got to the reveal too. It felt really out of left field, but in retrospect there is a TON of foreshadowing for this (see: a bunch of Reiner / Bert / Annie's dialogue during the parts the anime is currently covering, some of the events that happen when Titan!Annie is doing her thing, etc.), so much so that people figured out who they were months before the reveal. So although it seems kind of like an asspull it's definitely not. As for the method of the reveal, it makes sense given the context. Reiner's been shown to be cracking under pressure and is now wounded: he'll heal far too quickly from it and people will suspect him, so he is now under a time crunch. He also assumes (incorrectly) that Eren would initially be sympathetic to them, so why attack a potential ally? There's also the visual angle of the reveal: we're supposed to relate to Mikasa in a "what the fuck did I just hear?" sort of way. So while I'm not too fond of how it was revealed I think the way it was delivered was just fine.

As for everyone is titans: Yeah, I can see where people are coming from on this. Moments like the ending of episode four just aren't going to feel the same coming from Eren anymore; before he was this one guy ballsy enough to take on a monster taller than the world he's lived in his entire life, which is incredibly badass. Moments like these are going to have to come from the non-titan characters now, and those actions won't feel the same because they aren't the main character and don't have the relationship he has with the viewers.

However, I think humans -> titans is (mostly) necessary for the progression of the story. Without this ability I don't really see any way that the story doesn't end with human extinction given their circumstances, and without any opponents of the same caliber for Titan!Eren to fight, all his fights will boil down to "Eren stomps on about a hundred titans and then retreats", which gets boring really fast. He needs opponents on the scale of the Colossal Titan / Armored Titan, etc, and we need those opponents to have personality and motivations or it's little better than curbstomping a bunch of 3m-classes. Those titans having human sides makes this much easier. It also makes characters like Monkey Trouble, who have no confirmed human alter ego, more sinister because we have no idea what the fuck he plans to do since even the opposing human-titans are scared shitless of him. And on the survival-horror aspect, titan double-agents REALLY makes humanity seem fucked. So while I miss moments like the end of episode four, I think it was a necessary sacrifice for the progression of the story.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just caught up to both the anime and the manga. To me, there's no question that the anime is far more impressive-- especially since the manga's art is of extremely low quality by modern standards (where as the anime's art quality is extremely high).

When some mentioned that the manga is "more graphic" than the anime, I was like-- "HOLY FUCK, SERIOUSLY??", because the anime is already extremely graphic. Honestly, after reading the manga-- yes, the violence is "greater", but it's just not that powerful. The manga's violence is lacking in all impact, and you just kind of get numb to humans being squished as if they were made of soggy newspaper. The anime's intensity (and far superior art) make its violence way more "fucked up" in my mind.

Still, I'm not the kind to patiently wait for an anime to unfold when I can find out the story through the manga-- and man, this series keeps you in suspense!

Conny's village was sooooo creepy. The giant that worshipped Ymir was freaky as hell too. The details surrounding these two incidents are keeping me on the edge of my seat.

I'm really anxious to see how things unfold, as the manga artist has been doing a great job in controlling the flow of information to the audience. So many questions, and the manga's really on the cusp of digging into the meat of the story's secrets. Can't wait for more!

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I want to point out the top-left panel.

Surprising no one, it seems as if Bertholdt and Ryner suddenly decided to try and convince/kidnap Eren after losing their shit upon seeing Monkey Trouble (Who also is apparently a known quantity to Ymir). This makes it seem as if he is the real reason they would just do it all out of the blue.

Although I do have a question... which wall is it that Monkey Trouble was climbing over? Was he climbing out of the second wall back into Titan controlled area, or was he climbing over the innermost wall towards more human stuff?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Yeah, Monkey man is connected to the "real evil", where as colossal/armor and friends are likely serving some other cause that's still somehow connected to mankind's best interest.

Pretty sure that was Rose (second) wall he climbed, and he was heading out towards the outside again.

Definitely agreeing on the anime > manga part. I tried reading the manga way back before the anime was announced and couldn't get into it but the anime is a top-quality adaption that adds a lot to the experience.

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
ok i have no doubt the anime adaptation for this is way better than the manga but...

doesnt anyone else feel like its very, very, very poorly animated when it's not an action scene? it just feels weird as all hell.

weird enough to make a post here.

edit: also fuck Mikasa. useful in a unique way to the story but absolutely boring character.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)