Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It boosts on a basis of 1.5x1.5, not 2 (in the same way that Technician boosts Scizor's Bullet Punch to 90 instead of 80: 40x1.5=60 (STAB), 60x1.5=90 (ability)). This would make your calculation out to be:

328 x 1.5 = 492

492 x 1.5 = 738

How do you all felt about the prospects of AV Hitmonchan? It's has respectable base Spdef and it has acess to recovery. It's main niche being the fact that it can Rapid Spin.

Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

It's nothing game changing, I just wanted to hear thoughts on it.

Why is Aeroblast listed for Tornadus-T? He doesn't get it.
And I'd settle for Air Slash on 192 SAtk anyway. It is a near OHKO, minimum damage being just above 90%.

I've been using this set for a while an it works pretty well in OU Assault vest roserade nature modest 20hp 192Sdef 252special attack and 40speed it's so specially bulky moves gigadrain sludgebomb hidden power fire dazzling gleam

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been using this set for a while an it works pretty well in OU Assault vest roserade nature modest 20hp 192Sdef 252special attack and 40speed it's so specially bulky moves gigadrain sludgebomb hidden power fire dazzling gleam
This is a decent set, but the way you've written it out makes it fairly difficult to read... There's also a few small problems such as four missing EVs and no specified ability. That's okay, you're new, but there's a couple of ways that people here normally write sets. The most common one is the Pokémon Showdown format, which is recognised by the simulator and can be copy-pasted directly into the teambuilder:

Roserade (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 192 SDef / 40 Spd / 20 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

However, there are plenty of other formats that other people (such as myself) use, either out of habit or because they find them easier to write/read... Here's my method:

Roserade @ Assault Vest
Modest
Natural Cure
252 Sp. Atk/192 Sp. Def/40 Spd/20 HP (0 Atk IVs)
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Dazzling Gleam

There's only a few slight changes in order and wording, as well as removal of spaces, but feel free to find whatever method suits you best, as long as it's easy to read and understand. The other perk of this layout is that it doesn't have to be concrete, due to it's incompatibility with Showdown; you can slash abilities and moves much more easily as it's used more for preliminary sets (like this one). Anyway, the set: As a specially defensive tank, Roserade faces a lot of competition from Mega Venusaur, who has far better physical bulk and can use status moves. They share counters as well; Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and both Charizard Megas can easily force Roserade out, buying them free turns to set up. Moreover, many of the Pokémon that Roserade has an edge over are physically based (such as Azumarill and Hippowdon), and can hurt Roserade a lot on it's minimally invested (and therefore frail) physical defense. For this reason, I'd suggest changing the EV spread to 252 Sp. Atk/216 HP/40 Def. This gives you better overall bulk and bolster your physical defense a bit more. You don't really need any investment in Sp. Def and Roserade's natural bulk and the Assault Vest are more than adequate for taking neutral and resisted special hits. The physical bulk, on the other hand, make you much better at taking hits like this:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 127-150 (47.7 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 216 HP / 40 Def Roserade: 120-141 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Roserade Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 314-372 (77.7 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Giga Drain is usually better than Sludge Bomb in this instance because of the recovery that Roserade badly needs)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 276-326 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 216 HP / 40 Def Roserade: 260-308 (82.5 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 172-204 (63.2 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(There's no way you're surviving a Return, but this is just for the sake of argument)

In all honesty, though, I think this set would work a lot better in UU, where Fairy coverage goes a lot further and you don't need to worry about Talonflame.

I assume the set is rapid spin earthquake rock slide/stone edge and iron head? With jolly or adamant nature
Excadrill doesn't get Stone Edge but yeah that's the set, Adamant nature since you invest in bulk rather than speed so Jolly wouldn't make much sense, even Careful is possible but you'd lose a significant amount of power so it's usually not worth it.

Another pokemon that I can see running assault could be swampert it has good natural physical bulk decent hp stat and pack a good hit

Another pokemon that I can see running assault could be swampert it has good natural physical bulk decent hp stat and pack a good hit
Swampert has little to no use in OU, the only thing it sometimes gets used for is being a bulky Stealth Rock setter which Assault Vest prevents it from doing.

I use this set on my Arcanine.

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Fire Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat

Combined with Intimidate, AV makes him able to tank some hits, and gives more switch in possibilities. It works fairly good on his own, but combined with a screener or a wisher his durability becomes awesome.

Swampert has little to no use in OU, the only thing it sometimes gets used for is being a bulky Stealth Rock setter which Assault Vest prevents it from doing.
I was referring to him in the uu tier but yea he's outclassed by conkeldurr in ou assault vest usage

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Fire Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat

Combined with Intimidate, AV makes him able to tank some hits, and gives more switch in possibilities. It works fairly good on his own, but combined with a screener or a wisher his durability becomes awesome.
I think I would add Evs to hp to make him more bulkier cause he doesn't really need to outspeed much in uu tier and then extreme speed is a good form of priority

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Jolly
Intimidate
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
-Fire Blitz
-Wild Charge
-Extreme Speed
-Close Combat

Not a great AV user, SR weak means you can't switch in a lot, lack of recovery makes this worse and recoil damage on your stab and main coverage moves reduces the longevity even further, Arcanine is better left sticking to his standard builds imo.

There's plenty of ways to prevent someone from using Defog/Rapid Spin.

Rapid Spin/Defog support is something that defensive mons shouldn't need imo as they should be able to switch in when they're needed rather than when SR just so happens to not be up.

Never said my Arcanine was a defensive mon, he doesn't have the EVs nor the moveset for it.
He's a wallbreaker with some tools to make easier the switch in. He works good even as a lead, weakening physical attackers and opening the way to a team mate.
Besides this, on the same team I run Starmie (Rapid Spin), Xatu (Magic Bounce), and Sylveon (Wish), so entry hazards are not that big of a issue.

Meh a 110 base Attack without boosting item or move isn't going to break a whole lot of walls, not OU anyway, I realise your team isn't really OU but this forum is.

Regardless Arcanine is a rather poor AV user and requires a ton of support to function somewhat effectively, it's just not really worth discussing tbh.

Regarding the Roserade set poor HP and already good SpD is a poor recipe for a good AV candidate. Not to mention as a bulky grass it's entirely eclipsed by Mega Venusaur and Celebi, who also has Natural Cure. Not that I'd recommend a Vest on Celebi. I think one of Roserade best uses is a scarf set and able to revenge with its great special movepool and Technician Hidden Power to cover whatever your team needs. And Entei is a much better Assault Vest user, especially with Sacred Fire.

This is a decent set, but the way you've written it out makes it fairly difficult to read... There's also a few small problems such as four missing EVs and no specified ability. That's okay, you're new, but there's a couple of ways that people here normally write sets. The most common one is the Pokémon Showdown format, which is recognised by the simulator and can be copy-pasted directly into the teambuilder:

Roserade (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 192 SDef / 40 Spd / 20 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam

However, there are plenty of other formats that other people (such as myself) use, either out of habit or because they find them easier to write/read... Here's my method:

Roserade @ Assault Vest
Modest
Natural Cure
252 Sp. Atk/192 Sp. Def/40 Spd/20 HP (0 Atk IVs)
-Giga Drain
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Dazzling Gleam

There's only a few slight changes in order and wording, as well as removal of spaces, but feel free to find whatever method suits you best, as long as it's easy to read and understand. The other perk of this layout is that it doesn't have to be concrete, due to it's incompatibility with Showdown; you can slash abilities and moves much more easily as it's used more for preliminary sets (like this one). Anyway, the set: As a specially defensive tank, Roserade faces a lot of competition from Mega Venusaur, who has far better physical bulk and can use status moves. They share counters as well; Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and both Charizard Megas can easily force Roserade out, buying them free turns to set up. Moreover, many of the Pokémon that Roserade has an edge over are physically based (such as Azumarill and Hippowdon), and can hurt Roserade a lot on it's minimally invested (and therefore frail) physical defense. For this reason, I'd suggest changing the EV spread to 252 Sp. Atk/216 HP/40 Def. This gives you better overall bulk and bolster your physical defense a bit more. You don't really need any investment in Sp. Def and Roserade's natural bulk and the Assault Vest are more than adequate for taking neutral and resisted special hits. The physical bulk, on the other hand, make you much better at taking hits like this:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 127-150 (47.7 - 56.3%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 216 HP / 40 Def Roserade: 120-141 (38 - 44.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Roserade Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Azumarill: 314-372 (77.7 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Giga Drain is usually better than Sludge Bomb in this instance because of the recovery that Roserade badly needs)

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 20 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 276-326 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 216 HP / 40 Def Roserade: 260-308 (82.5 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 172-204 (63.2 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(There's no way you're surviving a Return, but this is just for the sake of argument)

In all honesty, though, I think this set would work a lot better in UU, where Fairy coverage goes a lot further and you don't need to worry about Talonflame.
Thx for the clarification also I run technician personally to give roserade a base 90 fire move it OHKO's scizor ferrothorn and if I see talonflame I just switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)