Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 questions:

Is there an actual tier for dreamworld? Or is that just how it's setup on the PO server for smogon?

Also; really noob question: what's VGC?

Lastly, why isn't there a thread for machamp? Should I make one?

VGC is the Pokémon Video Game Championship. For more information on this year's rules, click here. Basically, its 4v4 doubles (but you can bring 6 Pokémon and switch them out between battles), and this year, you can only use Unova pokemon. Its a much faster metagame than singles, so it takes some getting used to.

VGC is the Pokémon Video Game Championship. For more information on this year's rules, click here. Basically, its 4v4 doubles (but you can bring 6 Pokémon and switch them out between battles), and this year, you can only use Unova pokemon. Its a much faster metagame than singles, so it takes some getting used to.
oh okay. That explains a lot. So I don't really need to worry about it if i'm just into standard metagame?

also: 2 more questions still to be answered:
Is there an actual tier for dreamworld? Or is that just how it's setup on the PO server for smogon?

Lastly, why isn't there a thread for machamp? Should I make one?

oh okay. That explains a lot. So I don't really need to worry about it if i'm just into standard metagame?

also: 2 more questions still to be answered:
The first: I'm sure that DW OU/Ubers is just on PO.

The second: I'm pretty certain that he got nothing new at all this Gen, so there's really no reason to do so.

The second: I'm pretty certain that he got nothing new at all this Gen, so there's really no reason to do so.
That's what I figured.

However, there are several other pokemon that didn't have many changes that got a thread. Would it be a good idea to make a thread anyway just to keep track of new threats and possibly new builds/strategies (which I can't think of off the top of my head)?

The first: I'm sure that DW OU/Ubers is just on PO.

I still see Machamp quite a bit on Wifi. It might not have changed much, but the environment around it has, and a thread could be useful to determine its merits vs other bulky Fighting types such as Conkeldurr (No Guard Dynamic Punch, elemental punches).

I still see Machamp quite a bit on Wifi. It might not have changed much, but the environment around it has, and a thread could be useful to determine its merits vs other bulky Fighting types such as Conkeldurr (No Guard Dynamic Punch, elemental punches).
I'd be more than willing to put together a thread for him, if I'm not the only one who feels he needs a thread.

Assuming that I spend no EV in defense and I don't have access to reducing EV berries, is it possible for a Tyrogue to evolve into a Hitmontop while having the Adamant nature ? Wouldn't his attack be always superior than his defense ?

I'd be more than willing to put together a thread for him, if I'm not the only one who feels he needs a thread.
I say go for it. Just make sure to read the rules/stickies beforehand and to see if you need the thread approved or not before making it.

Kaär`|Aw: That may be difficult if you are not willing to use the Vitamins or feathers to boost defense. I am interested in this as well.

Assuming that I spend no EV in defense and I don't have access to reducing EV berries, is it possible for a Tyrogue to evolve into a Hitmontop while having the Adamant nature ? Wouldn't his attack be always superior than his defense ?
Perhaps, perhaps not. It depends on its IVs. Its Attack is more likely to be higher, but not certain.

Is there any way to block Perish song, and not have the Soundproof ability?
If you switch out, the effects of Perish Song end. However, you can Baton Pass Perish Song onto anything, even if it has soundproof. But no, there's nothing else to block Perish Song with iirc.

I have two Deinos with perfect stats. I already have a special one, and planned on running a mixed Cheer Up Hydreigon. I already caught them, so I planned on running Crunch cause they don't have Dark Pulse. Any recommendations on EVs? I know my special one is much better, but I got this one full perfect and didn't want to put it to waste.

I'm sorry to ask this question, but...
While looking at Sigilyph's set, I noticed he carries Flame Orb often.
Why is that?
I know he takes no damage from it, and doesn't care about the attack loss, but what positive effects does the Flame Orb have?
With Psycho Shift he can cripple opposing mons with his own burn; he can do this as many times as necessary because Flame (or Toxic, doesn't matter) Orb re-activates as soon as the status goes away provided you're still holding it.

Quick question here.

I'm new to the entire breeding/trading thing. Why do people care so much about what kind of balls their pokemon are caught in? I'm seeing trade threads where people mention what kind of ball the pokemon is caught in, and people requestion the pokmon to be in certain balls. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to using different balls? Or is it just for looks reason.

Quick question here.

I'm new to the entire breeding/trading thing. Why do people care so much about what kind of balls their pokemon are caught in? I'm seeing trade threads where people mention what kind of ball the pokemon is caught in, and people requestion the pokmon to be in certain balls. Is there any advantages or disadvantages to using different balls? Or is it just for looks reason.
Because people are wusses that like to "match colors". Of course, I've fallen victim to this, too. I love Dream Balls.

Quick question here.

Besides Aesthetics, Luxury Balls will have the additional benefit of raising a pokemon's happiness faster, which could be useful if they're running Return, I suppose. Other than that, Virizion hit the nail on the head.

If use Taunt on an opponent who uses a non-attacking move, then use Encore on the next, would the opponent be forced to struggle on that turn/in the turns to come until Encore ends?

What is the difference between a "check" and a "counter"? Can anyone explain it with an example? thanks!
A counter can safely switch in and cause heavy damage/wall something like there's no tommorow; a check is pretty similar, however, it can't really switch in safely (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

EXAMPLE: Gliscor is a pretty good Excadrill counter; it can easily switch in, then wall it's main STAB (EQ) and do a ton of damage with it's own Earthquakes.

Weavile, on the other hand, is only a check to Salamence; if it switches it, it will almost always die. However, if it comes in as revenge or something of the sort, there's really nothing an (unboosted) Salamence can do aside from switching out or taking an Ice Punch to the face.

If use Taunt on an opponent who uses a non-attacking move, then use Encore on the next, would the opponent be forced to struggle on that turn/in the turns to come until Encore ends?
I'm 51% sure the Encore fails.

What is the difference between a "check" and a "counter"? Can anyone explain it with an example? thanks!
133k got this pretty good.

A counter is something that is built to absolutely tear down that type of 'mon.

I don't quite agree with his definition of check though. I'd say a check is something that can fight on par with the other 'mon. Meaning the two turn out to be about equal, with them either be equal threats to one another, or being of no threat to one another.

But I could be completely off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)