Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 24 (READ THE OP)

Quick question about RNG : when someone says " I wasn't able to RNG well and decided to opt for SRing" ...
I tought SRing was an integral part of RNGing... when someone says that does he mean that he attempted to get specific results without resetting (by finding your initial seed then starting from there) but the coin flips/happyness checker were too much of a bother? Can a flawless shiny pokemon be bred this way? If what I just said doesn't make any sense, I guess I'll just need to read how to RNG again... :p
SR'ing isn't a part of RNG'ing at all, at least for bred methods. (Platinum is the game I play so it may be different for others but I highly doubt it)
SR'ing is just trying to get reasonable IV's [once you have your Egg done (nature, shininess, gender, etc.)].

Any questions about RNG abuse should go here.

Alright, out of curiosity why is skarmory falling as a lead in the current metagame? Bar Toxic Spikes, it does the same thing as Forretress as far as spiking is concerned. Though Forretress has spin support, it can't force switches and restore health like skarmory. If the lead I'm facing has the potential to truck Skarmory over, then I can switch out and wait for an earthquake to switch Skarmory back into. I'm asking this mostly because I am running stealth rock swampert on my team as well, but I absolutely hate him as a lead. So why is skarmory frowned upon these days? thanks a lot!

Sorry for the nooby question but what is "RNG" and "SRing" ?
you can find all you want about RNG here.
SR stands for Soft Reseting. By this is meant that you have to save before you interact with a pokemon so you can catch the pokemon again (by turning the power off and on again) if his nature, IV's, ... aren't good enough.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why is Electivire still OU?
Because people still use it in conjunction with Gyarados, Skarmory etc to bait Electric attacks and try to get a Motor Drive sweep going.

Most of the time this doesn't work because face it it's Electivire.

@Dusk97: To understand why Skarmory is falling as a lead simply look at the 10 most used leads:

Azelf taunts it and Fire Blasts it to hell
Machamp beats it with Dynamicpunch
Aerodactyl Taunts it and does his thing
Metagross and Swampert safely gets rocks up
Jirachi Tricks it and screws it up
Infernape, Roserade and Heatran can all beat it with the Fire attack they commonly carry

Not to mention revealing Skarm early means your opponent knows it's coming back to absorb physical attacks later on, and will act accordingly.
In short, lead Skarm is a bad idea.

Is there any way for me to increase my chances of hatching a Roselia w/ HP Fire? Or am I just going to have to keep hatching eggs hoping to get one with HP Fire and other desirable traits?

Is there any way for me to increase my chances of hatching a Roselia w/ HP Fire? Or am I just going to have to keep hatching eggs hoping to get one with HP Fire and other desirable traits?
A perfect HP Fire Roserade has IVs: 31-30-31-30-31-30

To the best of my knowledge, you'll just have to hatch a whole lot of Budews/Roselias because I don't know of any way to pass that many IVs from the parents to the offspring

yes, yes there is.

I would suggest you check out Smogon's breeding guide That goes to the Hidden power page. Basically, hidden power is based on IV arrangement. So if you want a roselia with Hidden Power fire, you attempt to breed a pokemon with Odd/even/odd/30/31/30. Since IVs are inheritable, you can breed these qualities, along with other desirable ones, on to your pokemon.

Or else you can learn to RNG

Thinking of changing my VGC team for use in PBR. In doubles/VGC format, which is better in a TR team consisting of Tyranitar, Bronzong, Lv. 1 Smeargle, and X?

Dialga @ Chople Berry (9/10 its the fighting moves that give me issues)
252 HP/252 Sp.A/4 Sp. Def

Palkia @ Haban Berry
252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp. A

Both running a moveset of:
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick Room
- Protect

yes, yes there is.

I would suggest you check out Smogon's breeding guide That goes to the Hidden power page. Basically, hidden power is based on IV arrangement. So if you want a roselia with Hidden Power fire, you attempt to breed a pokemon with Odd/even/odd/30/31/30. Since IVs are inheritable, you can breed these qualities, along with other desirable ones, on to your pokemon.

Or else you can learn to RNG
Okay, this explains why I kept getting HP Ice Roselias while I was breeding for max Sp. Attack and Speed.

Well this is annoying, searching for parents with 30 IVs is a lot harder than searching for ones with 31 IVs without being able to use the in-game IV checker.

Thanks

my boyfriend wants a Blissey with Wish. he tried breeding, but apparently that's not how you get it. is the only way to get it by NYPC? also, Seismic Toss. is that just from move tutor in FRLG? thanks!

If anything, the surprise factor. When you switch in a Vaporeon to sponge a hit, your opponent doesn't expects it to deal a certain amount of damage. The Specs can score an important KO that your opponent wouldn't predict. Starmie does a better job overall with Specs due to higher Speed, and to a lesser extent so does Milotic.

So if you want an efficient set, use Starmie. If you want to snag a surprise kill, use Vaporeon. Don't use Milotic, as it's an unhappy medium that can't do either of those as well as it's OU counterpart.

Vaporeon's SpAtk is actually greater than Starmie's, something like 350 compared to 328 if i remember correctly. However, Starmie's Speed is way higher. Vaporeon can afford to be slower because with that sort of HP, it can take a neutral hit or two and live to hit you with STAB Surf. Also, Water Absorb makes it easier to switch in Vaporeon, and slightly helps alleviate the Speed problem by recovering health lost for free.

When catching a Pokemon like Slowpoke, is there any reduction on the Pokemon's stats if I choose to evolve into a Slowking at say... lv. 50 ?

I assume the answer will also apply to catching a Pokemon like Teddiursa at lv 46, evolving right after and going from there.

Thanks in advance ^_^ You guys are wonderful :D

assuming they have the same evs at level 50, they will have the same stats, regardless of when they are evolved

1. i'm torn between Shuckle sets. i love the acupressure idea, but not having toxic and/or knock off to widdle their health down is kinda scary. would it be foolish to mix the sets and run something like Acupressure/Toxic/Knock Off or Rock Slide/Rest and stall?

2. i thought Hippowdon was UU? did it just get bumped up to OU recently?

haunter

Banned deucer.
1. i'm torn between Shuckle sets. i love the acupressure idea, but not having toxic and/or knock off to widdle their health down is kinda scary. would it be foolish to mix the sets and run something like Acupressure/Toxic/Knock Off or Rock Slide/Rest and stall?

2. i thought Hippowdon was UU? did it just get bumped up to OU recently?
1) depends on the tier you're playing in, but generally Shuckle is set up fodder without encore;

2) Hippowdon has been OU since when gen 4 came out.

Because people still use it in conjunction with Gyarados, Skarmory etc to bait Electric attacks and try to get a Motor Drive sweep going.

Most of the time this doesn't work because face it it's Electivire.
Um, why is Electivire bad? I've had some success with an LO Vire, after receiving some boosts. Or did i just answer my own question?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 22)