Ability Shift

GummyPotato

special little potato
Glaceon can set up hail by itself and just spam specs blizzard even though it's slow af, probably a good tr mon

Abomasnow has to go in sun but at least it can spam solar beams with solar power? RIP

Why not also skip over Defeatest, Slow Start, Traunt, and Stall?
These are undebatably worse abilities in the game. This diminishes viability of certain Pokemons unless they have Skill Swap.
Mega Heracross's viability got diminished in this metagame.

I got a suggestion.
I think Mega Pokemons should skip over abilities that are undebatably bad. If a Mega Pokemon gets a bad ability, the Mega Stone would be useless.

I got a suggestion.
I think Mega Pokemons should skip over abilities that are undebatably bad. If a Mega Pokemon gets a bad ability, the Mega Stone would be useless.
Not really. Mega Gallade has a bad ability in standard and is still pretty good. Also, how is having a useless Mega Stone any worse than having a useless normal Pokemon?

Sandstorm571

I COULD BE BANNED!
No Guard Roserade = leaf storm spam

Moxie Electivire = scarf spam

Speed Boost Bouffalant = Sweeping Mayhem

Sheer Force Tyranitar/Scrafty = MAKE IT HAPPEN

Sand Rush Gigaliath= wont get much use, as Exca still retains.

Last but not least..... Fairy Aura Vileplume = MOONBLAST SPAM!!

Not really. Mega Gallade has a bad ability in standard and is still pretty good. Also, how is having a useless Mega Stone any worse than having a useless normal Pokemon?
You can only use one Mega Pokemon in battle, and you better hope that one Pokemon would aid your team. Also, the Pokemon should become more threatening after Mega Evolving.
BTW, Insomnia isn't a bad ability.

No Guard Roserade = leaf storm spam
Contrary = Leaf Storm spam.
I don't see No Guard being all that useful for Roserade.
It definitely gives better use of Grass Whistle, and Stun Spore.
Thunder Wave has 100% accuracy, but Stun Spore can affect Ground Type Pokemons.
Spore has 100% accuracy, but Grass Whistle can affect Grass Type Pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this was mentioned in the early pages of this thread, but Dusclops might actually be decent in this meta. Its movepool is still awful for something defensive, sure, but considering that with Fur Coat and Eviolite its effective Defense can reach to nearly 1200 with maxed EVs, barely anything will be able to dent it on the physical side. Gourgeist-Super might be a better Fur Coat user since its support movepool is better, though.

there's a lot of other stuff that looks interesting too but all of it has probably already been detailed here

EDIT: Multiscale Gyarados/Salamence (indeed Multiscale anything that gets Moxie normally, but especially Gyarados and Salamence since they're Dragon Dancers and have alright bulk to begin with), Delta Stream Tornadus-I (no weaknesses, dunno if it's worth using though), and Gooey Shuckle all sound interesting. Again, since everything gets an ability shift there's a lot of possibilities to sort through here.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It still should be banned. Just because my sweeper doesnt have Rock, Water or ground moves doesnt mean it should be hardwalled by some piece of garbage.

It still should be banned. Just because my sweeper doesnt have Rock, Water or ground moves doesnt mean it should be hardwalled by some piece of garbage.
Your sweeper can dump Toxic on it. Your sweeper can wipe its ability. Your sweeper can wait its turn until its buddies have gotten rid of Heatmor. (No sweeper should be able to kill the entire meta) You can set Stealth Rocks and repeatedly force-switch it into them, and then sweep.

Having personally extensively used Heatmor back when this was OMotM, I know how good/bad it is. It's okay, but it's not remotely great, and indeed given that, for instance, Parental Bond Slowbro/Slowking is a thing, there are Pokemon capable of murdering entire teams including Heatmor all on their lonesome.

If having Wonder Guard was reason enough to ban a thing, Shedinja would be banned from OU. It isn't, and hasn't been for four generations.

Speaking of Parental Bond, Lilligant and Ludicolo get it. From damage calcs, Parental Bond Petal Dance from Lilligant OHKO's Specially Defensive Rotom-Wash and it KO's with Giga Drain after Stealth Rock. Ludicolo is a bit weaker, but hey, the ability to OHKO or 2HKO all of the XY OU S-ranks with it's moveset is a decent accomplishment. These two may not see as much use as Slowbro, but hey, still pretty niche mons in this format.
I'm still trying to get over parental bond smeargle

Fur coat/Primordial sea Dusknoir? Prankster Muk? Technician Dodrio? Adaptability Venomoth? Refrigerate Staraptor? I'm very ok with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)