A Fresh NU Start

Hello, everybody! This is Flashrider57 here, back after a LOOOOONG break. I recently decided to get back into competitive battling, and this time, I decided to abandon my usual comfort zones of 4th Gen UU and 5th Gen OU to try out 5th Gen NU. And....well, to be honest, it has been going okay. I've created a fairly decent team, and it's been doing all right, but it's losing more battles than I would like. So, I decided to submit my team to you RMTers. This is an offensive anti-metagame team based around a Klang sweep, with a Choiced Exeggutor and Bulk Up Gurdurr also used as offensive threats, balanced out by a defensive duo of Bulky Seismitoad, Spikes Support Garbodor and Support Lickilicky. Enjoy, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
(Sorry for the lack of pictures, this team is kinda rushed....)

Exeggutor@Choice Specs
Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic
-Sleep Powder
-Hidden Power Ice

First up is my Choiced Exeggutor. The moves are standard for the set, with Leaf Storm and Psychic being powerful coverage moves. Sleep Powder is extremely useful for my team, as I can easily cripple a major threat that switches in (when Sleep Powder HITS, that is.....). Finally, HP Ice kills annoying Altarias that love to switch in against this team. Exeggutor fills a number of positions on my team, mainly being my primary special attacker, switch-in to Pokemon that the rest of the team can't deal with, and a lead. However, Exeggutor has been underperforming a bit as of late, so I am considering replacing it. Still, it has proven valuable at times, so while I am considering replacing it, I am also a bit reluctant to do so.

Seismitoad@Leftovers
Water Absorb
Careful Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Stealth Rock
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Toxic

Next is the first part of my defensive core, Bulky Seismitoad. Stealth Rock gives me an entry hazard to work with, allowing me to better phaze with Lickilicky, as well as wear down some Pokemon in general. Scald is a nice STAB attack to work with, and the burn chance has saved my butt on numerous occasions. Earth Power is also a good STAB attack, allowing me to deal with grounded Electric-types more effectively, such as Raichu. Finally, Toxic helps me deal with troublesome Pokemon like Tangela and Alomomola by poisoning them. Seismitoad has been my physical tank, as well as my check to troublesome Pokemon like Emboar, who otherwise threatens my team enormously. It's served me well so far, and I will be quite reluctant to give it up.

Lickilicky@Leftovers
Own Tempo
Careful Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Body Slam

The second part of my defensive core is Lickilicky. He sponges most defensive hits well, as well as acting as my team's cleric. Wish is obvious, as it heals the rest of my team as needed. Protect allows Lickilicky to protect itself from opposing attacks, allowing it to heal from Wish while also allowing me to collect my thoughts. Heal Bell is invaluable to my team, ridding them of status that could also cripple my team (though it sometimes conflicts with Gurdurr...). Finally, Body Slam is a useful STAB move that also helps cripple annoying opponents, like Sawk, making them easier to deal with. Honestly, though, Lickilicky has been a bit underwhelming, and I am up for any suggestions for replacements on him.

Gurdurr@Eviolite
Guts
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Ice Punch

Here is one of the most underrated threats in the game right now, Gurdurr. He is my backup physical wall, and one of my physical threats. Bulk Up lets it set up on Pokemon such as Probopass, and the defensive boost is much appreciated. Drain Punch provides great healing for Gurdurr, since he has no other reliable way of healing himself. Mach Punch is for frail threats such as Absol, and also lets me kill weakened opponents easily. Finally, Ice Punch is a reliable move against opponents such as Golurk, Amoongus, and Altaria, all of which I would have trouble with without Ice Punch. So far, Gurdurr has proven his worth in multiple battles, and I am very reluctant to have to let him go if needed.

Garbodor@Leftovers
Aftermath
Impish Nature
252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
-Spikes
-Drain Punch
-Gunk Shot
-Clear Smog

Following Gurdurr is my main entry hazard setter, Garbodor. Spikes is my entry hazard of choice, and it allows Klang to get easier kills. Drain Punch teaches a lesson to annoying Probopasses that switch in, while also allowing me to check Skuntanks and Absols more easily. Gunk Shot punishes Exeggutors and other frail Pokemon that think they can come in easily, while also being a great STAB move in general to work with. Finally, Clear Smog allows me to deal with stat-boosters such as Gurdurr who would otherwise threaten my team. As well as being my entry hazard setter, Garbodor is my main Fighting- and Grass-type check, while also being a lure for other Pokemon for teammates like Exeggutor to switch into. Overall, it has been very enjoyable with Exeggutor on my team, and I'm glad I got a chance to use it.

Klang@Eviolite
Clear Body
Adamant Nature
80 HP / 248 Atk / 180 Spe
-Shift Gear
-Gear Grind
-Return
-Substitute

Last is the star of the show, Klang! Contrary to what a lot of people think, Klang is THE anti-metagame Pokemon. Why? Let's see....Tangela? Set-up fodder. Cincinno? Set-up fodder. What about the fabled Amoongus-Amolomola pair? Once again, set-up fodder. It's that way with basically HALF, if not even more, of the NU metagame. Shift Gear is the fabled boosting move, allowing Klang to prepare to destroy the opponent. Gear Grind is the ultimate anti-Substitute weapon, pounding opponents like Cacturne and Haunter that love to hide behind them. Return is my secondary attack, allowing me to crush Water-types that otherwise wall Klang. Finally, Substitute protects Klang against devastating Taunts and status while also giving Klang some breathing room. If you haven't tried Klang out as a late-game sweeper, start using it. You won't regret it.

Problems:

Special LO Altaria- This is a pain to deal with. I have to predict correctly if I'm able to deal with this.
Gothitelle- It has its way with most of my team. However, if I predict correctly, it doesn't do too much harm. I still hate it, though.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Flashrider57, I got your VM. This is a pretty interesting team you have. Sadly, Lampent isn't really fitting your team's needs. It was considerably better when Magmortar was still in the tier, but right now it is rather hard to use. I would recommend physically bulky Seismitoad over it as it still walls Fire type hits (special Fire-types like Charizard usually are either Choiced or you can outspeed them, though Simisear and Rapidash occasionally are used as special attackers). It also gives you a Stealth Rock resist and a check to both Raichu and Golurk. You also tank opposing Seismitoads pretty well, so that's another bonus; Stealth Rock is a plus as well since your team lacks it (it is as necessary now as it was when you were playing before).

If you do choose to use Seismitoad, then it would be best if you fully invest in Lickilicky's Special Defense. There are still many powerful special attackers in the NU tier, and you will need max Special Defense in order to reliably wall them. If Raichu is still giving you problems, you can always remove Thunderbolt from Rotom-S and replace it with Hidden Power Ground (it sucks to get locked into a Hidden Power, but it may be necessary). Final thing is to move the Special Defense EVs on Gurdurr to Attack. Gurdurr is pretty weak without a boost, and it is much harder to get a boost this metagame. The extra SDef don't really help against Psychics and Specially based Flying-moves anyways, so hitting them on the switch for more damage would be better.

Changes:

Seismitoad>Lampent
Lickilicky: Special Defense EVs>Physical Defense EVs
Gurdurr: Attack EVs>Special Defense EVs
Rotom-S: Hidden Power Ground>Thunderbolt

Seismitoad @Leftovers (or Rindo Berry I guess)
Water Absorb
Calm Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
-Stealth Rock
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Knock Off/Toxic

Lickilicky@Leftovers
Own Tempo
Careful Nature
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Dragon Tail

Gurdurr@Eviolite
Guts
Adamant Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Ice Punch

Rotom-S@Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid Nature
4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Air Slash
-Hidden Power Ground
-Volt Switch
-Trick

That's what I see so far. The addition of Seimitoad helps with your hazard weakness a little, and it provides you with both your own Rocks and some physical bulk. You keep most of the benefits of Lampent, while gaining more helpful things (an immunity to Electric, Water, and a great lure for Grass types that allow Klang to set up). Hope I helped, and welcome back to 5th Gen! Welcome to NU as well! :)

Thanks! I'll test these changes out as soon as possible! I'm a little uncomfortable at giving up Lampent, but that's only Pre-testing jitters...

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
This is a solid team and WhiteDMist already suggested everything that I would have, but I still have one small nitpick to make. Exeggutor should have at least 180 Speed EV's in order to outrun standard Garbodor, Cacturne, and fast Golem. It can then put them to sleep—preventing hazards—or just straight up OHKO Garbodor and Cacturne.

Summary of changes:

180 Speed EV's on Exeggutor

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 HP
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sleep Powder

Testing out the changes is actually going well. Once I finish testing, I will most likely apply the changes that both of you have suggested. Thanks a lot!

As for other raters, feel free to contribute!

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For Lickilicky, I would say that you should ditch Dragon Tail. It almost never breaks Substitutes, and many Pokes in NU are carrying the move to foil both it and Clear Smog (as well as its usual benefits). Body Slam would probably be the more useful move anyways. It also means that you have a slightly better chance at handling Raichu (who shouldn't really be a problem anymore with Seismitoad, Rotom-S, AND Lickilicky there to deal with it). As for Altaria, Lickilicky should be able to Wish+Protect stall it, and you can always use a full health Gurdurr to Ice Punch it even after taking Rocks damage (Specs would have a better chance to KO, but is easier for you to work around).

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I feel like another possible route you could go is Garbodor. While Toxic Spikes are a bit rare due to the many Poison-types in the tier, TSpikes are still usable and could hurt your team quite a bit. Not to mention the use of Spikes would be really good to assist SpecsEggy to break down Pokemon, assist Klang in a sweep, or punish enemies for switching when you defensive core forces them out. At the moment I could see it working over Rotom-S, since with Lickilicky you don't really need to much for Gorebyss and SD Samurott can be dealt with Seismitoad. While you still have Gurdurr to check Zangoose, making Rotom not needed as much. I also definitely agree with DMist on using Body Slam over Dragon Tail. Dragon Tail is terribly weak move and Body Slam helps you against Gorebyss, Samurott, and getting status off.

TL;DR:
Lickilicky -> Body Slam > Dragon Tail
Rotom-S -> Garbodor

Garbodor (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Clear Smog
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

This set has hazing in Clear Smog, Drain Punch for Probopass, and Gunk Shot for a good physical STAB move. This set also outspeeds max Speed Golem to get in an extra layer if needed, while the 248 HP decreases damage from hazards and allows the use of 240 Def to give Garbodor a Defense jump point. Drain Punch can even be used against Cinccino in a pinch, while its Aftermath ability ca deal a great 25% to anything that hits it with a contact move as it sets up Spikes.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hey bro,

Choice Band Sawk (especially the Adamant variant, which is getting much more common) is incredibly hard for your team to deal with. Both of your Fighting-type resists are 2HKOed, as is Gurdurr and Seismitoad. With any prior damage, Sawk can come in and basically clean up your entire team if it wanted to (especially if it were paired with something that you rely heavily on Lickilicky for, like Gorebyss). CB Golurk is also similar, although the user must predict much more with it. One of the things that you might be interested in trying out is physically defensive Exeggutor, as it gives you a lot more maneuverability against those threats and can actually handle CB Sawk for you, without having to rely on your opponent being dumb with it or revenge killing it with Rotom-S / Gurdurr.

Calm Mind Gardevoir with Focus Blast can also be very obnoxious to your team, setting up on Gurdurr / Seismitoad / Rotom-S locked into HP Ground and nearly OHKOing a full HP Lickilicky with a Life Orb Timid +1 Focus Blast. There isn't much you can do about this without changing out half of your team, but there are a few small changes you can make to help prevent yourself from being swept. First of all, you should definitely be using Body Slam (I actually prefer the power of Return, but it's up to personal preference) on Lickilicky over Dragon Tail so that you can smack Gardevoir and other set-up mons hard with Lickilicky, rather than hoping they don't use Substitute and trying to break it with a weak non-STAB attack. I also think it might be a good idea to use Toxic over Knock Off on Seismitoad - not only does it hit most of the same targets (Tangela, etc) as Knock Off, but it also makes Seismitoad much less 'set-up bait' especially for the previously mentioned Gardevoir. Toxic also more reliably places dangerous threats like Swords Dance Samurott on a timer rather than trying to rely on a Scald burn or trying to 3HKO with Earth Power. If Gardevoir / Gothitelle become really big threats in the future, you can always slap on Payback over Ice Punch or Bulk Up on Gurdurr to prevent it from being complete set-up bait for them.

Physically defensive LumRest Exeggutor > Specs
Exeggutor @ Lum Berry | Harvest
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk) | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Leech Seed / Rest / Psychic / Sleep Powder or Giga Drain

Toxic > Knock Off on Seismitoad

Body Slam or Return > Dragon Tail on Lickilicky

Optional
Payback > Ice Punch or Bulk Up on Gurdurr, if Gothitelle / Gardevoir are becoming frustrating​

Hope I helped a little, and GL with your team!

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Return is my secondary attack, allowing me to crush Water-types that otherwise wall Klang.
Good news! Klang actually gets Wild Charge through the BW2 tutors despite what the thread says, so you can use that to deal with stuff like Gorebyss and Alomomola much more effectively. :)

My computer is acting up again, so once it's fixed, I'll make the changes.

@ EBeast: Implementing your changes. Thanks a ton!
@Zeb: I'll switch Knock Off for Toxic. However, I'll keep Eggy the way he is. I don't have as much problem with Sawk as you would think, as he can be dealt with through prediction, which I am pretty good at. Thanks for making your point, though.
@erisa: I'll test that out, and see how it goes. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya Flash =]

There's been a lot of excellent rates. So what I suggest is something minor, or can be worked around if you know beforehand.

Once you set up Stealth Rock and Spikes, there is no Ghost-type Pokemon to block a Rapid Spin, so all your hard work is now gone. Also, as mentioned previously, Fighting-type Pokemon can be a big pain for you, since you only have 2 resists and they're shaky at best. Now based on your team, its more of a balanced one, so Haunter wouldn't really fit. So I recommend Calm Mind Misdreavus over Exeggutor.

I find that Exeggutor is the 'weakest' link to the team, and Misdreavus does what Exeggutor did, but with added bulk and can block Rapid Spin. Also, Lickilicky can pass wishes to Misdreavus so it won't get worn down.

@Evolite
Bold : Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
  • Calm Mind
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power Fighting
  • Taunt

Now in the last slot, Taunt can be replaced by Substitute, but you already have a Cleric on the team, so status isn't too big of a problem.

Happy Hunting! =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)