10 year old girl arrested for cutting food with knife.

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
Im going to assume the media is sort of clouding this. Perhaps she had a bad record in the past, maybe she was warned before, or maybe she had intentions that were not mentioned. I mean it's all good as long as it makes the government look bad right? Well, i could be wrong, and if i am this is totaly outrageous. I think a suspension is going to far tbh. Even a detention. By no means was this her fault, do we even know who packs her lunch?

norulz

excellent
People aren't reading between the lines, instead, most of the posters itt are misunderstanding the point from what I can read.

Im going to assume the media is sort of clouding this. Perhaps she had a bad record in the past, maybe she was warned before, or maybe she had intentions that were not mentioned.
As far as general knowledge goes, she brought a knife without intentions to harm anyone, the danger wasn't in her own intention, but in the eventuality of an accident occurring, god only knows what 10 year old can handle a knife. Even though the media may sometimes feed false information to get a better-looking story, if they had the chance to say the kid had had a background in incidents such as the one in the article, they wouldn't skip it.

By no means was this her fault, do we even know who packs her lunch?
I'm inclined to say her parents, but of all the random unnecessary information requested, you had to ask a winner.

I suppose you have to cut the line somewhere
That made me laugh so much.

Anyway the story is so stupid. I don't understand what person from the school would call the cops. I don't get why they didn't take the knife and let the girl go back to eating. But now she is arrested and never going to learn how to do long division.

Edit: What was her parents giving her to eat for lunch that she needed a steak knife? She must have had the best lunches.

This is definitely, as mentioned infinitely times, way too extreme. But did the girl willingly give up the knife or did she put up a fight? If it be the latter, then perhaps there was a reason to call the cops; the faculty didn't know how to handle a student- who was around many other kids- carrying a weapon. What if she were to go completely berserk and harm other kids? It may be better to mess with one kid than anger a legion of parents for not taking quick action to 'danger'. And I doubt other parents would complain just for the sake of one child, which could be viable to what was going through the old principal's mind at that time.

I'm not responding to anyone's argument nor am I in this debate of the justification of the action, just a few opinions. Sorry for inserting a completely hypothetical and impossible to prove factor into the discussion, but I've been wondering about a reason that can be shifted into the slot of 'girl has a kinfe' and 'total fucking meltdown.'

EDIT: http://www.acooksbestfriend.com/members/904503/uploaded/EMG-B144.jpg

On second thought...

or parents won a lawsuit for $95,000 because the school didn't allow their kids to wear tigger socks. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071215/ap_on_fe_st/odd_cartoon_socks_lawsuit

seriously these rules are kinda stupid but that one just makes no sense whatsoever.
Wow, the thing that jumped at me the most was that the kid was wearing tigger socks in middle school.

[Not that there's anything wrong with wearing tigger socks, I mean that unsarcastically]

I don't think we're getting the whole story especially from that article. We know she had and used a knife in school, most schools have a strict no tolerence policy on weapons. The girl was disciplined, but I don't think they wanted to arrest her, maybe there is a policy were if a kid is caught with a weapon the school has to call the police. Either way I highly doubt that she was acutally stayed in jail for longer than it took for her mom to come by and pick her up.

Omg. This is so stupid. There are serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles out there and they decide to arrest an innocent 10 year old girl!?

Who cares if she brought a butter knife to school. The most it could do is give a small cut. She could have a better chance killing someone with scissors or squirting hot glue into their eyes that she could find in the classroom.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Omg. This is so stupid. There are serial killers, rapists, and pedophiles out there and they decide to arrest an innocent 10 year old girl!?

Who cares if she brought a butter knife to school. The most it could do is give a small cut. She could have a better chance killing someone with scissors or squirting hot glue into their eyes that she could find in the classroom.
it wasnt a butter knife, it was a 4 and a half inch steak knife. and i can guarantee being stabbed with a butter knife can kill alot faster than being swuirt with hot glue.

What was she eating for lunch that she needed a steak knife for? My school serves, like, chicken sandwiches and cheese sticks.

Anyway, it seems that the school overreacted, but this it's not like they're trying to charge her or anything, or at least it doesn't say so in the story. It seems that ya'll are the ones overreacting to the story.
andysensei said:
isn't cutting food what you're SUPPOSED to do with a knife?
I wonder if you understand that knives are sharp and can be used as weapons?
this country is fuckin pathetic sometimes.
the main thing that is pathetic is how quick everyone is to call bullshit on authorities after everyone wants to press for harder laws. I'm sure that if she weren't arrested, someone's mom would complain to the school board about how "she brought that knife to school, she could have killed my little boy, all you did was call in her parents and talk to them, other people will see that she didn't get punished and they will bring in knives, blah blah blah." Whatever the people in charge do, someone is going to get mad, someone's going to complain, and that's the reason that this country is pathetic. Ususually, it's not the cops, it's the people that second guess everything every time a cop messes up slightly.

I don't think the school can be like "we just had a student commit a felony, I guess we'll just give her detention and forget about it" They probably have to tell the police when a kid commits a felony. Does anyone here actually think they saw the kid with a knife and wanted to arrest her and make a big deal out of it?

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but I figured it made more sense to post it here than starting a new topic, and it does fit the 'student being punished for inane thing' theme...

http://i10.tinypic.com/7wh6528.png

foxfire.exe?

EDIT: This turned out to be fake so don't take it seriously

norulz

excellent
From what I can see, there is no such thing as "foxfire.exe", the teacher was probably stupid enough to mistakingly read it instead of reading it as "firefox.exe", anyway, may it be the best browser in the whole world, he deserved getting detention for disobeying a direct order from a teacher. We aren't even allowed to install any type of software around here. The teacher was probably just scared and thought it was malware since it was an .exe

We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated.
Uh, not sure if this is the appropriate place for your jokes, holmes.

I'm not sure if this is off topic, but I figured it made more sense to post it here than starting a new topic, and it does fit the 'student being punished for inane thing' theme...

http://i10.tinypic.com/7wh6528.png

foxfire.exe?
Good lord how do you find these things that is ridiculous

Also:
We are Microsoft. Resistance Is Futile. You Will Be Assimilated.
I'm pretty sure you are reading way too far into this and the detention was assigned not because the kid claimed it was a "better browser" (although that was a very idiotic thing to say, he should have known better that few adults would understand the differences between Firefox and IE) but because the adult in question thought that it was a "bad" program or something. Also I'm pretty sure that most schools don't allow programs to be downloaded to the school computers so that would be a violation as well.

Well you could hurt someone by stabbing them with a sharp pencil or other object, but they don't arrest people for carrying pencils around. seriously. It is a ten year old girl. People don't need to go insane over it and arrest her. I didn't even know you could arrest 10 year olds. She didn't even use it to hurt anyone or try to. I can't believe the extremes people go to.

Wow, some higher people in the US is fucking stupid, they get paranoid over every little thing with their distorted news, and when shit does happen, they go and blame it on media, music and video games. God damnit, can you people get any more stupid? It is because: a) you guys are fucking stupid, or b) you didn't raise your kids right.

And I really doubt arresting and charging a 10 year old to bring a knife to cut her food will "just turn good".

I agree with the OP. What a sad world.

Children cant even eat with proper silverware anymore, they, just may, kill the whole school with a knife to cut that nasty fried chicken.

10-year olds aren't expected to be trained to know what are the functions and uses of a knife at such a young age, because probably parents just disciplined the girl to just use a knife for eating her food right. Is using good manners at home and school a crime? Maybe they don't provide any plastic knifes, though who uses knives anymore these days in school? All kids care about these days are some of that gang and gangster crap. Now, don't think I haven't read the safety guidelines, though I think the arresting was something that was just uncalled for and outright stupid. There seem to be details missing in this story, or there has to be a reason for the sudden arrest of this girl. I've never heard of such a thing happening.

While to some being arrested might not mean much, trust me it does. When you fill out forms in the future asking if you've been arrested in the past, it sure will haunt you. I personally disagree that she was arrested. I think what the cops should have done was talked to her parents about the knife possesion issue. Who knows, her parents might not be from America and had never heard of such rule. The knife part also reminded me of a certain culture where they carry a knife for religious purposes, but I don't want to go off-topic here.

I've never in my life heard of a form that asks "have you ever been arrested"; all the job forms I've ever filled in ask "have you ever had a criminal conviction?"

Massive difference.
..Her parents might not be from America? wtf.

anyway. No, she should'nt ever have been arrested, it's utterly ridiculous, but in my experience at least the police do very little other than prosecute underage drinkers and occasional pot smokers. A kid with a knife in school is an easy way to hit the targets they've been set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)