10 year old girl arrested for cutting food with knife.

well..that is unorthodox that she would bring her own knife to school, even if it was to eat with ._.

I dont think they should have arrested her though, wow. I'd think that maybe something like confiscating it, so that she starts to learn some sort of a lesson, would suffice, but i guess i dont know anything.

society makes me cry nowadays ;_;

Wow, that is kind of extreme, I mean having the principal yell at the student and talking to the parents would have been more appropriate.

Is it wrong that I'm hungry because it was a steak knife? Anyway, that is extreme. If I were the headteacher, I'd told the student not to bring it in again, and WHY.

That is by far the most fucked up arrest I have ever heard of.

1. She probably didn't realize it was wrong. 10 yr. olds don't usually think: "Boy, I could stab someone with this."

2. Arrested? Wouldn't she need to go in front of a judge to be arrested for something like that?

3. Is the system really that screwed up? If I were a parent and my child was in that school I would pull my child out because there is something mentally wrong with whoever runs the school if that registers as something needing police involvement.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
No there is not. Come on guys. The school probably has a zero tolerance policy on weapons like knives.

Seriously guys. They overreacted by arresting her, but confiscation was DEFINITELY called for and I don't blame the administration for getting worried what with the scattered reports of murders or injuries in schools.

And yes. All fairness, she broke the law by having a weapon on campus.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
should have pre-cut her steak at home :D

I suppose you have to cut the line somewhere, although a steak knife is probably not more dangerous than scissors, which are most likely allowed, you cannot really start making distinctions between knives.

Parents should be informed of such school policies however. As for arresting the girl instead of just telling her to leave her knife at home from now on, that's extremely retarded.

I could understand the girl getting arrested if she brought the knife to school to threaten/stab someone, but she was just using it to cut her food. I would think a warning(not an arrest) would be sufficient enough to deal with the situation but I guess not in the eyes of the school system.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Well, it's state law. The article cites that it is a felony to have such an object on campus.

My friend got caught selling knives at my school...

he didn't get arrested =/

is my school really that fucked up or is he really that good at getting out of deep shit

No there is not. Come on guys. The school probably has a zero tolerance policy on weapons like knives.

Seriously guys. They overreacted by arresting her, but confiscation was DEFINITELY called for and I don't blame the administration for getting worried what with the scattered reports of murders or injuries in schools.

And yes. All fairness, she broke the law by having a weapon on campus.
Do you think a 10 year old would know that it is against the law to bring something to cut her food to school? Arresting her is too strict in my eyes.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Some 12 year old kid in my school used a sharp knife to cut his apple and some other kids told on him. he got in trouble for bringing a knife to school and now he has to use this crappy push peeler

norulz

excellent
I must say, the thread title is very deceiving. I kind of agree that the school should take the knife away from the student, but not turn her over to juvy.

Do you think a 10 year old would know that it is against the law to bring something to cut her food to school? Arresting her is too strict in my eyes.
Uh, unless the school is underfunded I don't see why they wouldn't have knives of their own, bringing a knife to a school could be dangerous, and is just stupid, regardless of age, they did the right thing, I wouldn't have arrested the girl though, I would have just talked to her parents about the situation to hopefully prevent further issues.

what... the ..... fuck. She should DEFINITELY be suspended, and have the knife confiscated. If the popo are really serious, maybe she should get fined. But the parents should sue because she got arrested! That is WAAAY too harsh punishment.

Bill of Rights said:
Amendment VIII:
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
The police should go to law school.

I must say, the thread title is very deceiving. I kind of agree that the school should take the knife away from the student, but not turn her over to juvy.
My apologizes, but just my way of having a little humor with the subject.

Personally, I think just a talk to with parents would be at hand discussing why she can't bring the knife, etc. She wasn't going around flaunting it, or anything. She was eating LUNCH. It's a pretty odd world we live in today.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Gosh, no offence to anyone, but I must say, the police in the US are way too strict and paranoid sometimes. I agree with everyone that they could've handled this in a much better way, because I dunno, it just sounds to me like they LIKE arresting people sometimes when I see incidents like this.

If this happened in Canada, I know that they would've just talked to the parents, because c'mon, 10 year olds still have a lot of innocence left, and the police aren't bullies IMO.

?_? omg she was freaking cutting food. Not holding it to some kids throat. Come on, she's 10... How is she supposed to know that you can't bring in sharp knives? One of the teachers could have simply told her that she was not allowed to bring in knives, and next time ask her parents to cut up the food for her. Proceed to take the name, and call the parents telling them not to send knives with her lunch. All very calmly. No need for the police, or arresting a little girl.

I bet you feel like a real man now, Mr. cop! ...

TheBM, you're a moron, yes.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I would understand if you Stab your parents, but just cutting your apples? I mean what the hell?

I'm willing to be the kid doesn't even know why she was arrested in the first place. Let alone why she had to be arrested for it.

norulz

excellent
Ok, ugh.... Wishy and company seem to be derailing from the fucking point.

The anomaly on this whole goddamn issue is that she could've hurt herself and not "omg she wasnt gonna stab her parents, she was cutting her apple", meaning she was more likely to hurt herself than others, it would be tremendously irresponsible not to say moronic to see a child with a steak knife and not take it away from her, sure the whole calling the police issue may have been an exaggeration, but taking the knife away from her, wasn't. You don't need to be "holding the knife against someone's throat" for it to become a potentially dangerous weapon.

The anomaly on this whole goddamn issue is that she could've hurt herself and not "omg she wasnt gonna stab her parents, she was cutting her apple", meaning she was more likely to hurt herself than others, it would be tremendously irresponsible not to say moronic to see a child with a steak knife and not take it away from her, sure the whole calling the police issue may have been an exaggeration, but taking the knife away from her, wasn't. You don't need to be "holding the knife against someone's throat" for it to become a potentially dangerous weapon.
which leads to the issue of why she was arrested, when she could have been reprimanded and had the knife removed, maybe some suspension at worst. I agree that it is a potentially dangerous weapon, and i agree that punishment is obvious, because arguably it was, well..dangerous. But bringing the police into the situation when there was never any justifiable reason? unless a life was endangered at that school, then that was borderline abuse of power, and borderline like..insanity.

so i agree with you completely. I cant even fathom this happening to an innocent teenager, much less an innocent minor, much less having that minor be a 10 year old girl.

I agree with you; the knife was indeed dangerous. She could have harmed herself or another by accident. This could have been resolved by simply taking the steak knife away from her and then having a conference with the girls parents about it.

Calling the police and having the girl arrested was very excessive and should not have happened unless the girl was going to stab another student or something like that in my opinion. It's not like it way beyond the power of the school to deal with this situation without calling in outside help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)