Mewtwo Raid (September 1-17) + Lead Up Events (Aug 9, Aug 18)

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Having the optimal mon for the raid be the same mon that was just given away for free creates a huge amount of stress and uncertainty when loading in, like "okay we have a full party of Mew, but is that Mew optimised or is it still holding a Power Bracer from when it was being EV-trained?"
Yep. Sucks that the one Pokemon made for this raid is also the one Pokemon used by noobs that are better off doing nothing so they don't faint because Mewtwo won't attack them unless they use a move or cheer.

I can't resist this asking/snarking about talking about a Power Bracer when replying to that screenshot... It's a Level 64 with Dragon Dance (judging by the boosts) and Steel Beam. Do you really think whatever kid thought that was a good idea EV Trained their Mew? :P
View attachment 547213View attachment 547214
View attachment 547215
This was my next best attempt that actually broke through the shield. The damage mainly came from this Swords Dance Leech Life @ Metronome Mew, and I think we could have had a chance if it weren't for another Level 64 Mew running around and being a liability to our health and time. I was surprised that the other random had Electric Terrain to block Rest too.

Austin John Plays put out a video covering the Bug set strats which should hopefully help out this weekend.
View attachment 547216
That Tera Bug Mew looks awesome! Anyone think it could work in a Solo Raid?
Edit: Watched the video... Wow. This should be an 8 Star Raid.

Also, what are the odds of both Raid killing Mew you got stuck with both being Level 64?

Last edited:
Whoever design this fight seems like a real jerk. Does any gimmicky method exist to block/counteract Mewtwo's stat boosting besides having slots on Snarl/Struggle Bug spam?

Not a big fan of this fight basically being impossible to solo, and despite the support raids preceding it I don't feel like most of the provided stuff is gonna help much against this thing by sheer numbers. Given GF's questionable design record I wonder if they knew or didn't know what Normal-Access to Calm Mind would do.

Armarouge with lightscreen+clear smog, 2 mew full on dps, 1 mew use life dew+Pollen Puff and Misty Terrain

Best tactic so far. Since 2 Mew can fully DPS while the other 2 work on heal/defense.

My Armarouge was HP+SP ATK so died twice due to crit, but we still made it.

Imagine I got full defense EV and no freeze happens.
2023083119202200_s.jpg

Whoever design this fight seems like a real jerk. Does any gimmicky method exist to block/counteract Mewtwo's stat boosting besides having slots on Snarl/Struggle Bug spam?

Not a big fan of this fight basically being impossible to solo, and despite the support raids preceding it I don't feel like most of the provided stuff is gonna help much against this thing by sheer numbers. Given GF's questionable design record I wonder if they knew or didn't know what Normal-Access to Calm Mind would do.
Clear Smog+ Lightscreen works, and 1 mew needs to heal, the other 2 just full dps.

I don't think it's really hard, just force you to have group ppl, which sucks.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've just about had it with this raid. I'd rather fight Young Xehanort in Kingdom Hearts BBS on Critical Mode with the weakest keyblade. With Terra! These developers need to learn that

1: There's a difference between challenging and fake difficulty
and
2: Not everyone wants to pay money to team up with other people, especially if they're uncooperative

Last edited:
I assume you'd be able to get the Mighty Mark on a level 1 Mew if the 4th person idles, or uses cheers/protect/helping hand. If you don't click any moves, you won't die until it forces you to take a turn, and a level 1 doesn't dock as much timer.
It's absolutely possible. The first time through, no one brought terrain to block the Rest so they had to clear out the full 76x health, and the 32 PP of Leech Life fell just short--they needed a 33rd, and there's no PP-restore cheer, nor is any move from a level 1 going to make up the difference. But when one of them changes just one move to count for essentially "dealing" 2600% damage...
2023090100495100-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg
2023090100500000-1A552196CBAEC7F073BF13D42EA6C787.jpg

Ideally someone should go for accuracy drops early. If you can fish out a miss on the turn you go for Substitute, you never have to worry about fainting again, because you can alternate Protect-Substitute as long as someone is using Life Dew at least once every 2 minutes to keep your HP restocked. If that doesn't work...oh well, at least you won't be taking very many turns. If nothing else, once the shield drops you get an unopposed turn, and can put up a sub in complete safety (unless, of course, the 1-minute turn timer expires right at the same time and defaults to a useless Protect on the free turn since that's what's in slot 1).

Last edited:
Armarouge can also get rid of the berry with Incinerate!
Yeah its move pool is great against crazy buff tera raids like Corviknight and Gardevoir, not only it can choke out their damage(Reflect/lightscreen+clear smog, and lava plume burning/magical fire if needed), it also resist move of their moves.

This took a bit, but I settled on this Swords Dance Tera Bug Mew and caught Mewtwo after a few tries in random online raids. I still feel like it was less frustrating trying to catch Zapdos in an Ultra Ball in Yellow, but i think that's because the Switch has a backlit screen.

Mew @ Bright Powder
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Struggle Bug
- Swords Dance
- Leech Life
- Misty Terrain

It certainly can't solo Mewtwo, but I got lucky by matching with a party with three players who consistently stayed on top of Mewtwo's SpA boosts with Struggle Bug, with one attacker other than me also dealing substantial-ish physical damage. I delayed Tera by a turn or two to take less from Psystrike while debuffing Mewtwo to -2 with Struggle Bug. I think aiming for -2 or -3 is safest because those boosts stack up fast.

I picked Misty over Electric because it also blocks stray freezes from Mewtwo's Ice Beams. Bright Powder because lefties eats away at the timer. I'm sure the EV's are baloney. Because I plan to use my lvl 5 Mew for a "found mew under the truck, ditched my original starter" run, I trained one of my other Mew for this one.

Here are some things I saw from teammates in failed attempts.

-Double Dance Slowbro from the early raids. It could hang defensively, but even the fully-powered Tera Psychic Stored Powers weren't breaking through. I feel like this could work better with a very specific comp of three support Mew alternating between Acid Spray and Struggle Bug. Unfortunately Slowbro can't contribute to containing Mewtwo's stat boosts, so I'm pretty sure it's not worth it.

-Hoopa Confined. It spammed shadow ball and died quickly. Maybe Unbound could work better?

-Umbreon. It spammed Tera Dark Snarl. A Mew in this match had light screen, so it never fainted to Aura Sphere. It also didn't really contribute much, so we just ran out of time.

-Magearna: I thought this would work because the gal is broken, but this one tried to boost alongside Mewtwo and made little/no progress.

-Random Trick Room. I am not sure if/how this works in raids.

-Nasty Plot/Pollen Puff/Acid Spray/Struggle Bug Mew. I came across several people using this set or a close variation (calmmind over nasty plot, bug buzz over pollen puff). I think these ones have trouble because they also have to manage Mewtwo's special defense boosts.

All in all, I liked this one a bit more than the Gen8 Mewtwo raid. See you in Gen 10!

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
When this raid first started a few hours ago, I was knocked on my ass. I didn’t think this raid would be winnable, much less farmable. But oh what a difference a few hours makes! I don’t think think this raid can be soloed, but a team win is not too tough, if you have the right pokemon for the job.

There are a few pokemon that can play support roles in this raid, but after trying several different mons, it’s pretty clear only one pokemon matters for this raid, and if you get a team with four of these — it’s actually an easy win:

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 48 Spe
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Struggle Bug
- Misty Terrain

This Mew is built to take advantage of Mewtwo’s weakness to Bug without opening yourself up to a supereffective hit, AND getting a steady stream of healing with every Leech Life. And because we are hitting on the physical side, we don’t care about Mewtwo boosting its SpDef with Calm Mind. We use Struggle Bug to keep M2’s SpAtk in check when it starts snowballing. And the icing on the cake move is Misty Terrain, which prevents Mewtwo from getting off that scripted Rest when the shield goes down.

The playbook is pretty clear with this:
Start off the battle using Struggle Bug, and if your teammates do the same, the attacks from Mewtwo will not bother you at all. After you get the SpAtk lowered, then proceed to Swords Dance up to +6, then start spamming Leech Seed and Tera as soon as you can. When you see the shield is getting close to breaking, you set Misty Terrain and the scripted Rest does nothing. Niiiiice. After that, just keep Struggle Bugging whenever it Calm Minds and otherwise just Leech Life for the win!

The EV’s above are important as it puts Mew at 248 Speed, which allows Mew to outspeed Mewtwo after the 20% speed boost is factored in. Very key to be able to Struggle Bug or Leech heal before M2 takes its shot. Also Leech Life is PP maxed and is totally necessary so you don’t run out of attacks.

I’ve seen some players use Electric Terrain instead of Misty Terrain, and that’s fine for the Rest-prevention. But Misty Terrain also protects your team from Ice Beam freezes, which can be a thing depending on your team. It’s also highly useful for someone to do Go All Out cheers at the appropriate times, because this is a long grind that needs all the DPS you can get.

I’ve run Light Screen and Life Dew as well (in addition to SD Leech, which are must-haves), and those were fine. But when you run those moves, you are probably counting on one or more of your teammates to be doing SpAtk debuffing and setting terrain to prevent the Rest. So yeah, if you have a coordinated team with everything in sync, it can be a very smooth raid with various teammates with different Mew sets or even an Armarouge or Grimmsnarl or whatever.

But if you run the Mew I show above, you can join almost any random team of not-stupid Mews and you’re probably gonna win.

My optimism gets murdered already right away.

Me: it's early in the morning, raid hasn't been out for a while, should be ok to attempt.

Join raid.
Host has a locked Mew. Ok, acceptable.
I lock my own support Mew.
I say to myself "i'll just go with whatever, how dumb can people be" <CLUELESS emoji>

Third person joins, locks in Spiritomb. Ok, not exactly "meta", but should be a ok pick, immune to psychic, not weak to fighting.

Fourth person joins... locks in Koraidon. :)
Also proceeds to only spam Collisioun course in the grand total of 2 turns he manages to attack :)

This will be a long day....

I cleared the Mewtwo raid online as a support Mew. Here is what the team composition roughly looked like:

2x
1693557962667.png

That's the damage dealers of the team, they just spam Struggle Bug the first three turns then SD thrice and Tera Bug Leech Life to oblivion. Tera Blast I mainly put there to help with PP issues if Leech Life gets all used up. Normally Misty Terrain looks like the slot but a good support Mew should have that move, making that a bit useless on Physical Mew. Still, you can't trust randoms, so it remains a good option.

2x
1693558094471.png

You just spam Snarl and set up Misty Terrain, which can both prevent Rest and Ice Beam freezes, making it a superior option to Electric Terrain. Life Dew and Mud-Slap are mainly here as fluff, but it's always nice to click one of those when you don't have to use Snarl PPs.
Might invest more or less in Speed/SpDef.
EDIT: Tested Helping Hand over Mud Slap and it worked wonders too! It's even better if you want your offensive Mew to deal a BUNCH of damage!!!

I really lucked out, as I found this exact team composition on my second try! Here's footage of my completion of the raid (I had Acid Spray on that Mew for some reason but it was useless):

- That 50% Shield (what an horror) broken down.

- Mewtwo being cleared.

- Mewtwo being caught!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Few attempts later, I hate to say this, but honestly if you're playing online and anyone locks anything that isn't Mew, just dodge.

I don't think Mew is the only thing that works, but to use anything that is not Mew you need far more braincells than the average pokemon SV player has, and if it's not something that resists Psychic it'll just not work regardless cause they'll get obliterated by Tera boosted Psystrikes at least 3 times before Mewtwo is at -6 (and probably more times as it keeps using Calm Minds).

Edit: Finally beat it on 4th attempt
1693560465037.png

1693560481828.png
Were 2 support (one being me) and 2 offensive mews. All 4 Tera Bug.

I *STRONGLY* recommend Tera Bug or at worst Tera Psychic. Tera Dark is a trap, you don't want to be eating supereffective Aura Spheres expecially the turn it wipes debuffs, and Tera Bug means he'll use Psystrike instead of Ice Beam so you don't risk getting Frozen.
One of the offensive ones got killed early, probably by a crit, and ALSO got Frozen at some point, we ended up being just barely on the timer. Honestly if I didn't time my Misty Terrain properly to stop the Rest we'd likely have wiped to timer.

I didn't see anything weird in the sets, the offensive Mews had SD / LL + Light Screen and Life Dew, I had Struggle Bug, Light Screen, Misty Terrain and Life Dew, the other support Mew seemed to be mostly keen on spamming Life Dew and keeping up Light Screen himself.

Last edited:
If you don’t have access to a Mew, Grimmsnarl is a good supportive alternative:

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: lol
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Light Screen
- Spirit Break
- Leech Life / Taunt
- Misty Terrain

Friends and I tested another strat to great success! It uses Clear Smog Armarouge and Helping Hand Mew, here's the breakdown!

This strat came to be when one of my friends brought up Clear Smog Armarouge as an alternative way to debuff Mewtwo. However, this attack resets Special Attack drops so I experimented with another slot in Helping Hand and it turned out to just MELT Mewtwo.

1x
1693563597474.png

Nice choice if you don't have a Mew for some reason (use the GETY0URMEW code). Armarouge just mostly uses Clear Smog on Mewtwo using CMs, otherwise using Screens. You can Helping Hand if you're free to when Bug Mew is at +6 but it isn't your main job.

2x
1693563622925.png

Support Mew. You Misty Terrain on turn one, then spam Life Dew and Pollen Puff until Bug Mew is at +6 and Tera'd. Then you just spam Helping Hand on it, healing teammates when necessary. Make sure to have Misty Terrain up as the Shield breaks.
EDIT: Since having Misty Terrain on both Mews can feel redundant, Reflect Type lets you copy Armarouge's typing to minimize damage taken.

1x
1693563645203.png

Thanks to Helping Hand, PP limits is not a concern. You just SD, attack thrice to build your tera meter, then deliver +6 Tera- and Helping Hand-boosted spankings to Mewtwo.

Credit goes to Marshou, Drak, DéHash and myself!

Last edited:
By the way, remember when i was complaining of AI generated articles?

Saw one just now about mewtwo

First couple paragraphs were basically just copying move effects from bulbapedia and explaining them, followed by a "you may want to use a bug, dark or ghost type!"

Then it suggests mew sets, which while having some questionable choices (snarl instead of struggle bug, shadow ball as suggested attack) were mostly normal

Then on the alternatives...
"For supportive Dark types, Honchkrow is one of your best options, it's been a solid supporter for the whole generation!"

????? For our daily "in 2030 cars will fly" moment, not only it managed to confuse Murkrow with Honchkrow, but also recommends a super frail mon weak to ice beam...

REEEEEEEEE

Managed to beat Mewtwo today! Got so lucky, had 3 tera bug Mews backing me up with the perfect sets. Before that I had some complete tool bringing Koraidon, one person who kept trying to Transform into Mewtwo, and someone with Ting Lu who forgot it had Ice Beam and Aura Sphere. Sweet rewards, don’t think I’m going to farm it though.

IMG_2349.jpeg

There Is no way to solo it?
Honestly I doubt it.

The main problem with soloing is the fact the boss can use Calm Mind on other players turns, and this includes the AI. Meaning someone spamming spatk debuffs is basically required to just not die.
If you wanted to roll with a Unaware pokemon, all the available Unaware users are either neutral or actually weak to Psystrike, and
It doesn't help that even if you wanted to opt for a Stored Power or IDBP sweep ... Mewtwo resists both, so though luck actually tanking it.

And the only move which would tecnically have been interesting to use got removed two generations ago.

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 166-196 (40.2 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Skeledirge has to fully invest in order to tank hits, and barely tickles in return. You will burn through Slack Off PPs super fast, Snarling is out of the equation due to Unaware working against you, and you don't have any way to actually buff your own Defense other than... somehow surviving until Tera then using non-ghost Curse.

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Dondozo: 166-196 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 8.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slightly better calcs here, and you have Curse to actually buff yourself. I still doubt you can survive though due to no way to recover HP other than rest/lefties

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 184-218 (46.7 - 55.3%) -- 14.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Same problem, you have better offensive pressure due to being a phisical attacker instead, and actually have access to defense boosting moves, but I'm somewhat confident you'll run out of the timer even assuming you manage to survive.

0+ SpA Tera Psychic Mewtwo Psystrike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clodsire: 452-536 (97.4 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Lol no

And last but not least... Mewtwo RESTS after you break its shield, meaning you have to actually get down his entire HP pool again (albeith without the shield).
Sorry but I don't really see any way in which you solo this, unless someone comes up with an absolutely demonic set I can't think of on a Unaware mon.

Last edited:
I miss tapu fini... Well game freak has been very VERY smart this time, obligating players to communicate. Well sad since i need vpn to connect and i Dont have one, so Gl with It i wilk enjoy m'y non Mark mew and non Mark mewtwo

Friends and I tested another strat to great success! It uses Clear Smog Armarouge and Helping Hand Mew, here's the breakdown!

This strat came to be when one of my friends brought up Clear Smog Armarouge as an alternative way to debuff Mewtwo. However, this attack resets Special Attack drops so I experimented with another slot in Helping Hand and it turned out to just MELT Mewtwo.

1xView attachment 547313

Nice choice if you don't have a Mew for some reason (use the GETY0URMEW code). Armarouge just mostly uses Clear Smog on Mewtwo using CMs, otherwise using Screens. You can Helping Hand if you're free to when Bug Mew is at +6 but it isn't your main job.

2xView attachment 547314

Support Mew. You Misty Terrain on turn one, then spam Life Dew and Pollen Puff until Bug Mew is at +6 and Tera'd. Then you just spam Helping Hand on it, healing teammates when necessary. Make sure to have Misty Terrain up as the Shield breaks.

1xView attachment 547315

Thanks to Helping Hand, PP limits is not a concern. You just SD, attack thrice to build your tera meter, then deliver +6 Tera- and Helping Hand-boosted spankings to Mewtwo.

Credit goes to Marshou, Drak, DéHash and myself!
You can use 2 DPS Mew, 1 heal is enough.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When this raid first started a few hours ago, I was knocked on my ass. I didn’t think this raid would be winnable, much less farmable. But oh what a difference a few hours makes! I don’t think think this raid can be soloed, but a team win is not too tough, if you have the right pokemon for the job.

There are a few pokemon that can play support roles in this raid, but after trying several different mons, it’s pretty clear only one pokemon matters for this raid, and if you get a team with four of these — it’s actually an easy win:

:sv/mew:
Mew @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 48 Spe
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Struggle Bug
- Misty Terrain

This Mew is built to take advantage of Mewtwo’s weakness to Bug without opening yourself up to a supereffective hit, AND getting a steady stream of healing with every Leech Life. And because we are hitting on the physical side, we don’t care about Mewtwo boosting its SpDef with Calm Mind. We use Struggle Bug to keep M2’s SpAtk in check when it starts snowballing. And the icing on the cake move is Misty Terrain, which prevents Mewtwo from getting off that scripted Rest when the shield goes down.

The playbook is pretty clear with this:
Start off the battle using Struggle Bug, and if your teammates do the same, the attacks from Mewtwo will not bother you at all. After you get the SpAtk lowered, then proceed to Swords Dance up to +6, then start spamming Leech Seed and Tera as soon as you can. When you see the shield is getting close to breaking, you set Misty Terrain and the scripted Rest does nothing. Niiiiice. After that, just keep Struggle Bugging whenever it Calm Minds and otherwise just Leech Life for the win!

The EV’s above are important as it puts Mew at 248 Speed, which allows Mew to outspeed Mewtwo after the 20% speed boost is factored in. Very key to be able to Struggle Bug or Leech heal before M2 takes its shot. Also Leech Life is PP maxed and is totally necessary so you don’t run out of attacks.

I’ve seen some players use Electric Terrain instead of Misty Terrain, and that’s fine for the Rest-prevention. But Misty Terrain also protects your team from Ice Beam freezes, which can be a thing depending on your team. It’s also highly useful for someone to do Go All Out cheers at the appropriate times, because this is a long grind that needs all the DPS you can get.

I’ve run Light Screen and Life Dew as well (in addition to SD Leech, which are must-haves), and those were fine. But when you run those moves, you are probably counting on one or more of your teammates to be doing SpAtk debuffing and setting terrain to prevent the Rest. So yeah, if you have a coordinated team with everything in sync, it can be a very smooth raid with various teammates with different Mew sets or even an Armarouge or Grimmsnarl or whatever.

But if you run the Mew I show above, you can join almost any random team of not-stupid Mews and you’re probably gonna win.
Looks like people have been reading your posts - did my ingame raid online and 3 others joined running the exact same strat. Was worried about us wasting time with multiple Misty Terrains but fortunately someone used it a turn early.

Seconding DougJustDoug 's build, worked like a charm (after finding a group that actually locked in 4 Mews). One of the other Mews had Life Dew, but otherwise it looked like the moves were all pretty similar. I ended up being the designated Misty Terrainer, partly because I couldn't remember if Rest was on shield down or 50% HP, so I set it up right before the shield went down (and then Mewtwo didn't try to Rest for one or two turns after that). I also set it up again whenever it went down to avoid Ice Beam freezes or just in case it tried to Rest again (which I don't think it's scripted to do, but didn't want to risk getting to low HP only for it to heal all the way back up).

Also, for the special occasion I finally transferred my shiny Mew from GO to HOME, so now I've got a nice sparkly crystal blue Mew with the Mightiest Mark.

I plan to try Armarouge to Support offensive Mews, so I want to confirm, does Psystrike get weakened by Reflect or Light Screen? Gonna go with CS/LS and then two of Reflect/Helping Hand/Mystical Fire/Acid Spray depending on the team I end up arranging formally for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)