Mewtwo Raid (September 1-17) + Lead Up Events (Aug 9, Aug 18)

Maybe the best way for Mew to handle this is just tera into Psychic itself. Resists 2/3rds, weak to nothing, probably gets it to use the marginally less dangerous ice beam.

Ok, what's going on? Even after 3 Snarls Mewtwo was somehow at +2 SpA. Is it because while he's spamming the heck out of Psystrike against me he's using Calm Mind on everyone else?

Ok, what's going on? Even after 3 Snarls Mewtwo was somehow at +2 SpA. Is it because while he's spamming the heck out of Psystrike against me he's using Calm Mind on everyone else?
The perils of having stat-boosting moves in standard moveslots. They can be using that move in other lanes and you won't even get to see it unless you take time to check the status screen before every single turn.

Is this even possible solo? Sheesh, who on earth thought it was a good idea to give a boss a stat boosting move in a type of battle where the boss can select a different move for each of its targets? That practically means unless everyone has Snarl/Struggle Bug (and that's only happening online) every turn he's basically getting both a Nasty Plot and Amnesia boost for free, if not even more, depending on how many Pokemon he's doing it against. That's it, forget Nasty Plot And Snarl, I'm giving Mew Iron Defense and Amnesia.

Is this even possible solo? Sheesh, who on earth thought it was a good idea to give a boss a stat boosting move in a type of battle where the boss can select a different move for each of its targets? That practically means unless everyone has Snarl/Struggle Bug (and that's only happening online) every turn he's basically getting both a Nasty Plot and Amnesia boost for free, if not even more, depending on how many Pokemon he's doing it against. That's it, forget Nasty Plot And Snarl, I'm giving Mew Iron Defense and Amnesia.
This isn't new for Mewtwo, sadly. Several pokemon, mighty or otherwise, had stat boosting moves. It's why it was always important to bring a support unit if you couldn't punch through it yourself

It does seem much more extreme this time than in any previous raid. I've never seen a raid mon snowball this much while I was actively debuffing it.

Special attacks in general seem like a no-go outside of exactly Snarl, and even then you apparently need two mons spamming it just to stabilise the battle.

EDIT: hmm actually who's the best Clear Smog user against Mewtwo? Armarouge?

Last edited:
Sadly supports are less than ideal for Solo raids. Yeah, I'm convinced this is impossible Solo. Well, that's 2 generations in a row where Mewtwo was the absolute hardest raid of all of them to the point of seemingly being near impossible Solo. Granted, I never really did the SWSH one, but I've heard horror stories. And to think this one is more built for durability. Just imagine if they switched his 6 SpA EVs with one of his defensive ones. ... On second thought, don't.

Sadly supports are less than ideal for Solo raids. Yeah, I'm convinced this is impossible Solo. Well, that's 2 generations in a row where Mewtwo was the absolute hardest raid of all of them to the point of seemingly being near impossible Solo. Granted, I never really did the SWSH one, but I've heard horror stories. And to think this one is more built for durability. Just imagine if they switched his 6 SpA EVs with one of his defensive ones. ... On second thought, don't.
They gave it EVs? Why?

Do we know the Mewtwo's nature? I'm guessing that it's not a +Speed one given its EVs and if so, that would put it at 296 Speed. With the 20% bonus for Mew's stats, you would only need to reach a 248 Speed stat outside of the raid to outspeed Mewtwo by one point during the raid. That doesn't take many EVs for a Mew to reach, and would allow more investment in bulk and/or offenses.

The above would change if Mewtwo has a +Speed or -Speed nature, of course.

Thinking about how Scizor, Grimmsnarl & Hatterene all have some key resistances or at least neutralities to Mewtwo's moveset and various support and offensive capabilities that can assist even if they aren't necessarily the best bet for the job.

And then their 4th recommendation was Hydreigon. Which is weak to 2 of its moves and is hitting the defense stat that Mewtwo is constantly boosting.

To brainstorm mons with inconvenient access:
  • Shadow Rider Calyrex
  • Hoopa
  • Zacian
  • Magearna
  • Palkia
  • Uxie
Would sets with any of these work?

If you like the rivalry between Mew and Mewtwo and want to use your own Mew because of the buffs, these looks like good sets.

Solo Dark (Mew) @ Shell Bell
Ability: Synchronize
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Acid Spray
- Nasty Plot
- Snarl
- Light Screen

Solo Bug (Mew) @ Metronome
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Struggle Bug
- Light Screen

I haven't tried any of them though.

Got past the first shield and then down to about 60% with this Armarouge alongside an Opportunist Espathra (very good call). Unfortunately, the two Mew in our raid were clashing with my Clear Smog strat (understandably!) so we ended up wasting moves and losing ground early.

Armarouge @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Bold Nature
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpA
- Clear Smog
- Light Screen
- Incinerate
- Mystical Fire

Even with max HP/Def, Psystrike is Mewtwo's strongest attack against you (does about 35% before you get established).

Idk about the last two moves honestly, but Clear Smog and Light Screen were HUGE. Espathra gets buffed very quickly alongside you, because Clear Smog baits Mewtwo into spending more turns using Calm Mind.

It's hard to know what to equip for an Unnerve mon. I actually went with Mirror Herb in my one Armarouge attempt, but I didn't attack before Mewtwo wiped stat changes the first time, so it wasn't useful. Leftovers is maybe the right call, but I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT: Incinerate gets rid of the Chesto Berry, Armarouge is excellent!

Last edited:
You can't even count on having a 4 Mew party these days. I've heard that there is a pretty consistent physical Bug strategy along with setting Misty Terrain to block Rest so hopefully randoms get the memo soon.
1693536576923.png
1693536585757.png

You can't even count on having a 4 Mew party these days. I've heard that there is a pretty consistent physical Bug strategy along with setting Misty Terrain to block Rest so hopefully randoms get the memo soon.
View attachment 547209View attachment 547210
Having the optimal mon for the raid be the same mon that was just given away for free creates a huge amount of stress and uncertainty when loading in, like "okay we have a full party of Mew, but is that Mew optimised or is it still holding a Power Bracer from when it was being EV-trained?"

1693538015122.png
1693538045971.png

1693538069635.png

This was my next best attempt that actually broke through the shield. The damage mainly came from this Swords Dance Leech Life @ Metronome Mew, and I think we could have had a chance if it weren't for another Level 64 Mew running around and being a liability to our health and time. I was surprised that the other random had Electric Terrain to block Rest too.

Austin John Plays put out a video covering the Bug set strats which should hopefully help out this weekend.
1693538123495.png

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Here's an easy strategy with bug Mews and Misty Terrain that works with 3 or 4 players.

You use 2-3 attacker Mews and 1 support Mew. Sets used were as follows:

Support Mew
Mew @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Tera Type: Doesn't matter
Bold Nature
- Struggle Bug
- Life Dew
- Light Screen
- Misty Terrain

Attacker Mew
Mew @ Metronome
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Tera Type: Bug
Adamant Nature
- Struggle Bug
- Leech Life
- Swords Dance
- Light Screen

Update: If you're willing to do a less basic set, 252 HP/ 208 Def / 48 Spe is better on Support Mew because it prevents you from taking extra damage or getting frozen before you can get Light Screen or Misty Terrain up. Attacker Mew should heal up to maximum with +6 Leech Life so the speed is less important.

Meteordash wrote up the strategy here:
Attacker Mews: First 3 turns, spam Struggle Bug. Upon unlocking your tera after 3 Struggle Bugs, you are free to SD 3 times. We tera'd as soon as we unlocked it, but for further optimization, its probably fine to stay Psychic type until you're ready

Support Mew: Drop Light Screen Turn 1, and Defense Cheer Turn 2. Proceed to Life Dew / Struggle Bug and alternating back and forth however they see fit. Support Mew never needs to click Tera as you're better off defensively as Psychic. Recast Light Screen whenever it's down!

If Mewtwo opts to CLEANSE ITS OWN drops, all 4 Mews begin to start spamming struggle bug until its -6 again for 1-2 turns. (You can have all 4 Mews Struggle Bug the first turn of cleanse, then have two Mew's struggle bug the following turn, and the other two Swords Dance.)

If Mewtwo opts to CLEANSE YOU, make sure its low on Spatk debuffs and proceed to recast your SD's! Mewtwo will do this MULTIPLE TIMES so be on the lookout!!

When Mewtwo is CLOSE to its shield breaking, every Attacker Mew stops attacking and waits for the Support Mew to Misty Terrain. This will COMPLETELY PREVENT rest from EVER going off! This means you can force the kill right away!
The strategy is super safe and you end up with a lot of time, since +6 SD and Leech Life essentially heals you every time. You can adjust the number of Struggle Bugs you do if you're not taking much damage. Here's how we finished with 3 people.

1693538161484.png

AJP explains this strategy in his video.

I assume you'd be able to get the Mighty Mark on a level 1 Mew if the 4th person idles, or uses cheers/protect/helping hand. If you don't click any moves, you won't die until it forces you to take a turn, and a level 1 doesn't dock as much timer.

Update: With a 2 attacker + 1 support + 4th low level Mew idling, this is still super winnable as long as you don't get haxxed. Here's my modified strategy, which I've been using to help people get the mark on low level Mews:
Support: light screen, then misty terrain, then struggle bug / life dew.

Attackers: 3 struggle bug, 3 SD, then immediately go into tera + leech life.

When Mewtwo cleanses itself, attacker mews keep doing leech life for the metronome bonus, support mew uses struggle bug while keeping terrain/screen up. The only time attacker mews change what they're doing is when they get cleansed.

The idle mew has protect in first slot and focus sash, which keeps it from dying enough to hurt us too much.
Here's how much time we were finishing with when we left the 4th one completely idle, and only used 2 attacker + 1 support Mew with the above strategy.
1693766811871.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)