ORAS UU YouthBerry's Heat Squad (Peaked 19th at 1709)

Intro

Hey UU,

Some of you probably know me as the guy who spammed a Weezing and Kyurem team for a long time (bulk up conk ended that team), or maybe you don't me and this is our introduction. Either way, welcome to my 2nd RMT and I hope you enjoy!

Quick intro, I haven't really enjoyed the latter half of this gen as much as the middle. The drops from OU pushed the tier to a different level and it's become a very centralizing and dangerous meta. So in an attempt to keep things fun, I've been experimenting with different Pokemon and sets in this new UU metagame.

One day, I came across an OU RMT that utilized the monster that is Slaking and saw that it was on a team that peaked top 5 on the ladder. So I decided to see if I could make Slaking work in UU as well. I threw some Pokemon together trying to cover its weaknesses and the team was born!

Honestly, this team is pretty garbage and I hope you don’t take it too seriously. It started out as a meme team and it still maintains that archetype, yet it has an ability to win games somehow and has become a favorite of mine for room tours and skyping with friends. I decided to see how high I could peak on an alt to prove that it is possible to make pretty well any Pokemon work(within reason), even a Pokemon that is unranked in the UU viability ranks.

Proof of Peak

The Team
I welcome all input including suggestions and criticisms! Feel free to comment below. I apologize in advance for the nicknames, please don’t take offense to them. Without further ado, on to the Sets!

King UU (Slaking) @ Choice Band

Ability: Truant

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Giga Impact

- Retaliate

- Sucker Punch

- Hammer Arm / Earthquake / Fire Punch

Have you ever wanted to Ohko the likes of Mega Blastoise, Reuniclus, and defensive Swampert from full with a neutral move? Well Slaking can do just that! With the special ability to OHKO like 90% of the tier with the appropriate move, it is incredibly tough to handle for a lot of teams. Basically if you don’t have a Ghost or Steel type or the move Protect…then something gets bopped. I use it on this team as a revenge killer against offence and balance, and against semi-stall and full stall it acts as a wallbreaker that can open up holes for Celebi and Entei to break through. I will include a list of relevant calcs in the hide tag below.

Move set is pretty straight forward. Max Attack and Speed with an adamant nature and a Choice band to hit as hard as possible. It hits 299 speed with an adamant nature which ties with Adamant Entei. Giga Impact is used because it is the hardest hitting stab move it gets. Unfortunately using Giga Impact forces Slaking to stay in after using the move, but the damage output between it and Return is very noticeable. Retaliate is used after one of Slaking’s team members is ko’d. The base power of Retaliate doubles when that happens for that next turn making Retaliate a 140 base power move with 100% accuracy and no drawback. Basically a “who dyin?” situation. Sucker Punch is used to pick off frail threats and can even ohko the likes Celebi. It is also useful in wearing things down for an Entei Extremespeed. In the last slot I have had a revolving door of moves. All of Hammer arm, Earthquake, and Fire Punch have valuable niches and hit certain threats. Hammer arm bops Steels hard not named Doublade and has decent neutral coverage hitting things like Bronzong and Mega Aero neutrally. It’s really useful for the likes of Empoleon and Cobalion who often run Shuca Berrys. Earthquake is also a good neutral option, allowing you to hit ghosts like Chandelure and Doublade and Sableye. It also hits Steel types hard. Shuca Berrys are annoying when running EQ as is the reliability on prediction as there are lots of airborne mons. Finally, Fire punch which again hits steel types pretty hard, especially Forretress and Bronzong. I find it has the least value against bulkier builds as Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix are hit harder by either Hammer Arm or EQ. Again there is no set last slot, so if anyone has any recommendations, it would be appreciated!

On the downside, this Pokemon has a crippling ability that causes it to do nothing every other turn. This makes protect users the bane of its existence. So in a metagame with defensive Sylveon with Wish and Protect everywhere, it can be frustrating. In addition it is very much reliant on predicting correctly and making the right move. 50/50’s happen frequently. When you predict incorrectly, it’s often painful as it’s an opportunity for the opponent to potentially set up or heal up. The free turns that Slaking gives up are the reason it’s unranked in UU, and yes they are crippling but if you play well then Slaking can effectively pull its weight. Don’t sleep on this monster! #SlakingforCrank

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 364-429 (90.7 - 106.9%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 408-480 (96.2 - 113.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 184 HP / 0 Def Mega Blastoise: 403-475 (116.8 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Slowking: 391-462 (99.4 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Milotic: 394-465 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 379-447 (114.5 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 307-363 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 298-352 (67.5 - 79.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 270-318 (89.7 - 105.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Slaking Giga Impact vs. 240 HP / 216+ Def Mandibuzz: 337-397 (80 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Haate (Swampert) @ Swampertite

Ability: Torrent

EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 92 Def / 60 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Ice Punch

- Rest

- Sleep Talk

Mega Swampert is the glue of the team, using its great natural bulk and power to claw its way through teams stay alive. This set was passed to me by my good friend Haate and it can be found in the UU Underrated and Creative Movesets thread in the Smogon forums if you want to read more about it. The 60 speed EVs creep base 45’s including Adamant Conkeldurr. It also allows it to get the jump on offensive defog Empoleon who often carry Grass knot. The 104 Attack Evs, with the addition of an adamant nature allow pert to reach 398 attack. 398 Attack is just one shy of max attack Jolly natured Swampert, which really allows its to not only bulk out attacks with HP and Defence investment but also pack a punch. Rest in Bulk allowing this Mega Swampert to take on pretty well all opponents barring grass move users. Earthquake and Ice punch are the attacking moves of choice. Some may suggest Waterfall over Ice punch, but Ice punch lets it handle Scarf Hydreigon and Crobat as well as dent incoming Celebi switchins while still retaining the ability to beat Krookodile and Mega Aerodactyl. Rest and Sleep talk give this Mega Swampert longevity throughout a match, and keep it healthy and free of status allowing it to check Entei and Darmanitan endlessly (Barring Natural gift of course).

Mega Swampert serves as the designated fire type switchin (must have with Entei and Darmanitan around) and all around tank. It’s excellent stats and typing let it check and counter a number of threats including said fire types above, Mega Aero, Metagross (barring mixed Grass knot), Doublade, Gligar, and more. Really is a fantastic Pokemon!

RZ (Celebi) @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk

- Nasty Plot

- Giga Drain

- Psychic

- Shadow Ball

One of the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier at the moment, the most dangerous imo. Celebi is really important for this team because of its ability to 1v1 every bulky water in the tier with the combination of Nasty Plot and Natural Cure so Scald burns don't really deter it. Beyond checking bulky waters, this thing is decently fast and ridiculously bulky without any investment. Not sure if he remembers but Reach Zero is the one who suggested Shadowball in the last slot. That’s why I named this Celebi RZ. Shadowball is effective on this team hitting both Bronzong and Cresselia who both are threats to this team otherwise. It additionally hits Doublade hard, opposing Celebi hard, Forretress hard, and finally Mega Aggron on stall who is usually one of the checks to it. Set is really standard besides that, max special attack and speed with a Timid nature to be as fast as possible. It is one of the better stall breakers on the team being able to pressure a ton and take advantage of holes that Slaking and Entei open up.

Grilled C (Entei) @ Choice Band

Ability: Pressure

Shiny: Yes

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Sacred Fire

- Stone Edge

- Extreme Speed

- Flare Blitz

Grilled Clawitizer made that big post in the VR rankings about Entei and he was the inspiration for this Pokemon choice. Entei plays a big role in the success of this team as a wallbreaker, and does it with a very predicable set. EV’s are standard and so is the set. Sacred fire dents anything that doesn’t resist it and burns put pressure on opposing bulky waters and dragons to Rest or recover. This opens up turns for Celebi and Slaking to do their thing. Stone edge is mainly there for Chandelure, and other Entei. Extreme speed is a fantastic coverage move that helps slow down opposing sweeps from fast threats like Infernape and Beedrill. Extreme speed can also clean up late game if the opposing team is weakened. Flare Blitz is there as it is the hardest hitting stab move available.

Christo (Florges) @ Babiri Berry

Ability: Flower Veil

EVs: 230 HP / 252 Def / 28 SpD

Bold Nature

- Calm Mind

- Moonblast

- Synthesis

- Aromatherapy

Florges provides the special bulk on this team, and although the spread isn’t designed to be, it accomplishes it’s goal while also being able to check fighting types as well. In other words, role compression. Christo is the inspiration of this mon as he is/was known to use Calm mind Florges for a long time. Move set is standard, it provides support through Aromatherapy and can even boost and sweep if it’s checks/counters have been removed or badly weakened. This spread is one I’ve used for a long time, not sure now ideal it is but it’s worked for the most part. I wanted as much defence as I could on it to check things like Heracross and Mienshao and Krookodile while still being able to take on things like Mega Blastoise and Heliolisk. The Babiri Berry as an item is really rare I know, but it comes in handy and works on this team because it means I don’t have to be forced out by Cobalion who is a huge threat. Yes the occasional Iron head Flinch will happen but + 1 Moonblast hits it hard and +2 Ohko’s and gets rid of a threat for Slaking. It also comes in handy against the now very common Iron tail or Flash Cannon Hydreigon late game. There’s a great replay of it I’ll post down below.

Horsehead3 (Forretress) @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

Relaxed Nature

- Rapid Spin

- Stealth Rock

- Counter

- Gyro Ball

The last member of the team and one of the most important as it is the hazard control as well as hazard setter. Team support is Forretress’ game and it does it well. Rapid spin is important when running a team with Entei and without a grounded poison type to pick up t-spikes. Stealth rocks support the team hugely but because of the set it often gets them up and simply loses them again. But that’s because I run the most idiotic move in the 3rd slot called Counter. Counter was an idea passed to me by good friend Horsehead3, he passed me a meme team with it on Forretress for a room tour. I ended up bopping a bunch of things with it during that room tour and realized it is a half move because of the surprise factor. Then when I was testing this team, I found there was too much pressure coming from physical attackers on the team and that Forretress was dead weight against a lot of physical attackers despite it being somewhat of a physical pivot/wall. And so Counter Forretress was born and it’s done a great job in fixing up weaknesses. Things like Band Krook think they are safe to EQ away on Forre…nope gottem. There’s a good replay of me catching Yabo on a + 2 Gyarados Bounce in a room tour final. Not saying Counter is amazing because you have to play it well but it does catch people with the surprise factor and can win games. The last slot is Gyro ball for fast things like Mega Aero and Mega Beedrill and Mega Sceptile and especially a setup Slurpuff who can take advantage of Slaking.

Threat List

Gyarados: Probably the biggest threat! Don't really have an answer to him besides Counter Forretress and Priority. The goal is to not let it get a chance to set up.
Cloyster: Shell Smash can bop this team if Forretress gets weakened.
Mienshao: Life Orb sets are really scary to this team as it doesn't have a lot of speed
Lucario: Slaking gives it a free turn to set up
PorygonZ: Choice Specs sets are something this team has no switchins for
Celebi: A well played Celebi can break this team apart
Rotom Heat: Amazing typing defensively and no water coverage to scare it away. Entei is the check but fears volt switch. Mega Swampert fears random HP Grass
Tornadus: Scary power and coverage combination. No real answers to it.
Kyurem: Choice Specs sets wall break hard and Roost sets are somewhat annoying.
Slurpuff: Slaking gives set up opportunity and potentially free health back :(
Protect: Neutralizes Slaking.

Replays:

VS. Frozen Man http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-468765379
VS. Manipulative http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-469275473
VS. Coming Up Tho http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-468982448
VS. Avvenire http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-465769483

VS. lmoa xd (Yabo I think? Either way it's a room tour classic) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-431416873

Shoutouts:

I apologize in advance if I miss anyone, but here goes!
Everyone in DTA! You guys are the best! Pillow Wisp, Haate, CBU, Bad Rap Sample, Bhris Brown, cubonesmotherr, Lord Iroh, Island Spices, PokeTCGamer1288, edaKiwi, Threw, Low Ladder Heroes, ChillShadow, Zben, Horsehead3, DrReuniclus3, Varsen, Eugene the Greatest, and my boy Scheff!

Conclusion

So yeah, that is the team! It’s very unconventional and I don’t recommend it for laddering, but it is a lot of fun to play with, despite some major flaws. I mean who doesn’t love OHKOing stuff? Would really appreciate any insights you can offer to help improve this team for the future. Cheers

Last edited:

SCHEFF

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hey bruh,
First off, thanks for the shoutout. If i wasn't perma'd I could thank you properly but oh well.
Second off, this team is really fun to play with. Took it for a spin in a private room tour and came close to winning but got knocked off by stall. You win some, you lose some. Slaking is a fun mon to use, and you use it absolutely correctly with Giga Impact IMO. If played right, Slaking can be a game changer. Of course, if played wrong, Slaking is also a game changer, albeit in the wrong way.

Keep it up dude.

~~Scheff

Hey man, thanks for the shout-out!

I tried this team a few times myself and I don't know how you've done it, but it really works! Slaking's strong moves and good stats OHKO most Pokemon in the tier leaving the opponent at an instant disadvantage and the other heat sets really help to throw them off guard.

One thing I noticed about the team is that although it is extremely scary, it can be forced to be passive at times with Slaking's awfully annoying ability. This gives leeway for sweepers such as Gyarados, Feraligatr and Mega Sharpedo to set up and sweep, especially if Forretress' set has already been revealed.

It is for this reason that I propose replacing the infamous lazy pert set with the following:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Waterfall
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gyarados is a much more reliable counter to Fire and Fighting types like Mienshao, Entei and Heracross, but primarily it offers a very solid answer to Mega Sharpedo, Offensive Gyarados and Feraligatr. Factoring in Intimidate, Crunch does a paltry 35% max while Feraligatr's manages a max of only 46%. Consequently roaring out Sharpedo erases its speed boost, allowing Celebi to check it easily. It also has the ability to phase out setup sweepers like Suicune, and in tandem with Stealth Rock Gyarados can rack up quite a lot of damage on the opponent's side.

Now I know what you're thinking: "Now not only did I lose my Mega, but my team also gets destroyed by volt-turn now!"

Do not fret, I have taken this into consideration as well. My second and final suggestion to the team would be to replace Celebi with this set:

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Grassy Terrain
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse

This is not only a fully practical last piece to the puzzle, also adds more searing flames to the team! Mega Sceptile's much needed speed and ability to take out bulky waters can prove useful in more ways than you might initially think; the extra EVs in HP give it some extra bulk, allowing it to more easily set up Grassy Terrain while still out-speeding Crobat at max speed.
The damage potential on the bulky waters that your team would otherwise struggle against can be outstanding once Sceptile has set up it's terrain:

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune in Grassy Terrain: 612-722 (151.4 - 178.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Milotic in Grassy Terrain: 572-674 (145.1 - 171%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Mega Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 204 HP / 56 SpD Vaporeon in Grassy Terrain: 678-800 (150 - 176.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Great job with the team, and I hope my suggestions help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)