Your Favourite Songs

I love music, always have. I tune in to the radio whenever I'm in the car, turn on my ipod when I'm studying and spend a load of time browsing the billboards for new songs, even listening to music while I'm writing this. So I want to ask you to share your favourite tracks, the old and the new, whichever you like! Here are mine.

My Current Favourites

#1 Titanium
#2 Set Fire To The Rain
#3 We Are Young
#4 Jet Lag
#5 Grenade
#6 You Make Me Feel
#7 Stereo Hearts
#8 Stronger
#9 Somewhere Only We Know
#10 Paradise

RODAN

Banned deucer.
this will probably be locked but im the best

#1 Two Headed Boy - Neutral Milk Hotel
#2 The One I Love - R.E.M.
#3 Del Shannon - Runaway
#4 Bomb The Music Industry - Syke!! Life Is Awesome
#5 Bomb The Music Industry - Stand There Until You're Sober

I didn't really like 'Two headed boy' and 'The one I love', but Runaway wasn't bad. Why's this thread gonna be locked?

Why's this thread gonna be locked?
Shit posters. Usually either trolls or flame wars between "mainstream" and non-mainstream music.

1. Only if for a Night- Florence and the Machine
-One of the band's best songs, it shows off Florence's vocals perfectly while delivering a symphonic crash, starting the chorus.

2. Sincerely, Jane- Janelle Monae
-An R&B song with a great beat, profound emotions and a positive message (not usually my thing, but its a great song).

3. Poet and the Pendulum- Nightwish
-Probably the most epic and heartfelt song of all time? You can tell the lyricist was in some dark places when he wrote this. Symphonic metal and Nightwish at their best.

4. Octavarium- Dream Theater
-Another epic, the longest song I really care to listen to (SDOIT doesn't count since it's actually 6 songs), the five parts all have a completely different feel to them and they're just refreshing.

5. Storytime (HM to all songs from Imaginaerum)- Nightwish
-Playful, yet dramatic, just an amazing song overall. Sets the tone for the rest of the album.

Hmmm, my fave songs change fairly regularly. But there are always songs that you can't skip past. Some of my absolute favorite songs (probs will forget some):

Slave - Invertigo
Sarah - Eskimo Joe
Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
Haunted - Taylor Swift
The Road is Lost - The Whitlams
My Own Worst Enemy - Lit
Heaven - LIVE
Breath - Breaking Benjamin
Devour - Shinedown
Whispers in the Dark - Skillet
Remedy - Seether

Yes I have an aversion to really recent stuff and a really varied range of taste.

Take Me As I Am (acoustic) by Seven Wiser
Same Direction by Hoobastank
The Reason by Hoobastank
Kiss Me slowly by Parachute
What about now by Daughtry/Westlife
Remember the Name by Fort Minor

Those are my top 6 spur of the moment songs

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
explain shit about the songs or i am locking the fuck out of this thread

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
On a Misty Night - Joe Lovano Nonet

It's an upbeat jazz ballad in 4/4, probably not to your tastes, but whatever - I love myself some good jazz

Metallica is cool too

lately

DEATH GRIPS - TAKYON

[YOUTUBE]Htl3XWUhUOM[/YOUTUBE]

triple six five forked tongue. feral like you wish you were. a warped culmination of all things. hip hop is the new whatever.

FORMER GHOSTS - DREAMS

[YOUTUBE]a_UZ9rMXL5Y[/YOUTUBE]

jamie stewart, zola jesus, and the dude from this song is a mess etc join forces to deliver the most unnerving electronica imaginable. this is the real casiotone for the painfully alone. 3:25 onward is so elegiac and catchy that you should probably play it when someone dies on their birthday. it manages to be sadder than xiu xiu which is a marvel dwarfing most marvels

THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN - BETWEEN PLANETS

[YOUTUBE]KawDwdjwPNY[/YOUTUBE]

i used to think my friend laurence was the best thing to come out of glasgow, then i heard the jesus and mary chain. psychocandy is the obvious go-to but holy fuck is this song incredible. the ending is absolutely perfect, listening to this song just makes me lament the multitudinous circumstances in which i did not slip on shades, pop the collar of my jean jacket, and dole out some serious 'baby, you drive me crazy, dont come around here no more'

FRANK BLACK - HEADACHE

[youtube]t2zb_iZC6nI[/youtube]

i prefer teenager of the year to anything the pixies ever put out. if you can divert your gorgon gaze from the obvious negative connotations of side projects, you'll find that old baldy can do a lot of cool things by himself. the album has everything. well, everything except the pixies. come on.

SPARKS - ANGST IN MY PANTS

[youtube]e6FRV5IhuEU[/youtube]

when i first heard this song is was bewildered by the notion that anything with a title like 'angst in my pants' could be anywhere near as resonant and touching. the synth is oddly dour considering the subject matter, and thankfully its got a hand-clap friendly beat because singing along to this song just makes me feel like a twerp.

FUCKED UP - MAGIC WORD

[youtube]yAwSnxIXank[/youtube]

i'm not normally into hardcore or caring that a band is from toronto but somehow fucked up manages to make me happy about both. a few years back the genre just started feeling sclerotic and boring, if only because i lost the occasional desire to destroy, one by one, all of the objects in the world. it wasn't until recently that fucked up revived my faith in shouting. the chemistry of common life is a pretty cool album, but their latest, david comes to life, while not my favourite in the traditional sense, is probably the most unique album i've ever heard. it's a goddamned hardcore rock opera. if you like ballads and you like yelling it might be for you!!

SMALL BLACK - DESPICABLE DOGS

[YOUTUBE]NwTWXxkZMBs[/YOUTUBE]

there really isn't a lot to say about this song other than 'its really pretty. ok.' it sounds like the reflection of a clear sky in the lake you're dipping your toes in, and those toes are like an INCH away from that cute girl's why dont you just fucking touch them holy shit stop being a pussy

JOY DIVISION - DISORDER

[youtube]fhCLalLXHP4[/youtube]

soon i will be 23. 23 is the age ian curtis wrote love will tear us apart. i have neither the talent nor the courage to write a song like love will tear us apart. this song just makes me think about people failing each other, so i try to think about animals but then i remember that animals sometimes eat the young of other animals and that makes things worse. on a lighter note i was talking about joy division with a coworker recently and we were talking about the sad story of mr curtis, and he said 'yeah, not to mention the whole latent homosexuality thing', to which i replied 'what', and he said 'yeah like in disorder, "ive been waiting for a guy to come and take me by the hand, could these sensations make the feel the pleasures of a normal man"' and i told him 'no dude its guide' and it completely redefined the band for him

BUCCANEER FT SCARE DEM CREW - BAD MAN NUH STRAY

[youtube]CR_l2evZgL8[/youtube]

enya being sampled in what is arguably the most aggressive and hypermasculine genre imaginable (seriously, auto-tuned demands to scorn/incite violence against gays would be funny were it not so terrifying) was the last thing on my bucket list, so i'm ready 2 die

JOHN BENDER - 33A1

[youtube]KNfYGRT58zA[/youtube]

i think i've posted this before in a music thread but i really can't get over how much i love this song. i have no idea who john bender is but he is the most tragic and defeated human being i have ever heard. if only more would-be warriors tried to capture the turpitude of reality through minimalist synthpop, the world would probably be a nicer place. maybe.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Last night, evan and I (plus Swags and Ninahaza at times) listened to the new solo album from a really good buddy of mine. He writes under the name Maudlin Maladies, and you get can his album here:

http://maudlinmaladies.bandcamp.com/

Tracks 3 and 9 especially are truly affecting. I've only listened to the whole thing 4 times and those two tracks already have haunted my every waking thoughts for the past couple days. Magnificent music.

How it Ends - Devotchka

Why do i like it?I like depressing songs.And its pretty much the most depressing song ive ever heard.I love the violin at the end.Thats my favorite part...good songs dont need words really.

Stairway to Heaven - Zepplin

Why do i like it?I guess because its long..i tend to like long songs because i always hear music on repeat and that wouldnt work with 4 min songs.I also like how it starts slow and gradually speeds up.

Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson

Why i like it?I hear a youtube version of it.Its 10 minutes long.I like it because its epic and has no words..making it peaceful.And you could interpret it however you want.

My 3 favorite songs.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
One of my favorite artists and idols is Patti Smith. Her first album Horses has one song Birdland that is such a perfect blend of music and poetry, perhaps the closest I have come to orgasm from music. I guess that's how I would describe the catharsis.

Another song I love is the Fleetwood Mac ballad: Dreams. The singing is really 'pure' if you permit that adjective. Fleetwood Mac was kind of the last band after the Beatles to be a mainstream 'hippie' act. I suppose that the year Rumours came out would be the last year where hippie was the dominant youth culture.

Last night, evan and I (plus Swags and Ninahaza at times) listened to the new solo album from a really good buddy of mine. He writes under the name Maudlin Maladies, and you get can his album here:

http://maudlinmaladies.bandcamp.com/

Tracks 3 and 9 especially are truly affecting. I've only listened to the whole thing 4 times and those two tracks already have haunted my every waking thoughts for the past couple days. Magnificent music.
Oh, wow, you know that guy? Az showed me The Night Light and I thought it was incredible :3 Reminded me a bit of The Arcade Fire, though of course it's hardly a rip-off. So graceful and moving.

Guess I'll take part in this !

So, my favourite songs ? The first to come up to my mind is 1983 by Flying Lotus. This tune, despite being long (6:58) and "repetitive" for many people, blow my mind every fucking time I listen to it. Also with a quality headphone IT IS the shit ! Check it out

Flying Lotus - 1983

Another of my classics coming to my mind is Vordhosbn by Aphex Twin. I've been listening to this song since I was 13 (I always find it's glaucous). Another thing I can't get tired of. And I consider him and Flying Lotus among my favorite artists, obviously.

Vordhosbn - Aphex Twin

I'll try to speak of a song with voices now, lol. Thinking about this, one of my favourite rap album ever is Boy In Da Corner by Dizzee Rascal. I dont think ive ever heard something more underground than this to be honest. Plus this is just so raw, natural and original. Also launched the UK Grime movement. Here's Brand New Day, one of the softest track of the album but also one of the best.

Brand New Day - Dizzee Rascal

James Blake has been in my heart since his first EP. I didnt like much his album because he forgot his roots but now he's releasing stuff that sound like his early stuff so it's all good lol. Here's Don't You Think I Do. But beware, it's deep as fuck !

James Blake - Don't You Think I Do

Ok so a fourth UK artist ._. Not my fault if its a pearl's spawn. Archive's Londinium is imo the best Trip Hop album ever. Deal with it ! Dark Room is one of my favorite track of the album and also the first one I heard. Enjoy

Archive - Dark Room

A last one ! Tortoise is one of the pioneer of Post-Rock and my favourite band of this kind of music. Their early album are sooo good and they dont stay with only rock-sounding stuff but like to mix with other influences. Tortoise is unfuckable with. Here's Glass Museum ♥

Tortoise - Glass Museum

Enough for today. I hope you enjoyed or will enjoy !

DISCLAIMER: This post will be mainly '90s hiphop, with a few exceptions

Skee-Lo - I Wish

This song is just so much fun to jam out to. Skee-Lo definitely isn't my favourite rapper, and honestly I'm not even that big a fan of his other songs, but this song just gets me every time. Everything about it is catchy, it's upbeat, and at least for me it never gets old.

Souls Of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity

This song honestly has one of the best beats I've ever heard in a hip hop track. Doesn't matter what's going on, where I am or what I'm doing, I can always put my earphones in and just completely chill out to this song. Unfortunately I didn't know about this song up until like a couple years ago, so I'll only be chillin from around 09 'til infinity :(

Shad - I Get Down

This is probably ganna be the only recent song (as in 2005) on my list here. Shad's kinda different from most hiphop artists in that he never swears and focuses a lot more on wordplay and flow. Because of this, rather than jam out to his stuff I usually just put the ol' earphones in, close my eyes, and just get absorbed into the words he spits out. I really suggest to anyone who's gonna listen to this to do the same; I always seem to find new metaphors and puns every time I listen to one of his songs and it always makes me smile.

Nas - Represent

Nas is probably (or at least, should be) a familiar name to anyone remotely familiar with hiphop, and for good reason. This song is probably what first really got me into Nas, and so it's the first song that comes to mind when I think Nas. His flow in this song is just unbelievable, the beat is awesome, and overall I just love the song. The second verse in particular is my favourite

The Pharcyde - Ya Mama

YA MAMA GOT AN AFRO WITH A CHINSTRAP

This song is just exactly what I love about The Pharcyde, and specifically the album this song is from (Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde): the dudes are just having fun. There's no deep messages or anything, just 4 guys rapping and making ya mama jokes back and forth. The song is just always fun to both listen and jam out to.

Gang Starr - Moment of Truth

This is another song that I love to listen to with earphones on, eyes closed, just listening. The beat is very relaxing, the lyrics send a clear message and overall the song just flows together so well. Definitely worth at least one listen, even if you aren't a fan of other Gang Starr songs.

SNSD - Gee

OK, I lied, there's one more recent song on my list. This song just stands out in almost all categories for me; the beat is sick, the song has a wicked flow, and the chorus is really catchy. I also think the verses are really well-done, and overall I strongly recommend this song to any hiphop fan out there.

Death Cab for Cutie - I Will Follow You Into the Dark

Extremely heartfelt song. I love the sound of the band overall and this is one of their most popular works. It's got a really nice, albeit standard, guitar chord progression (if that's what you're into).

Young the Giant - Cough Syrup

Catchy as hell. One of the better new bands, in my opinion. I guess you could call this soft alternative rock. It's Coldplay-esque. Speaking of which...

Coldplay - Paradise

Recent Coldplay hit and probably the most popular song in Mylo Xyloto. Amazing string section, and the chorus is catchy.

Childish Gambino - Freaks and Geeks

A huge shift from the last three songs, but it's a great piece of work. It's a rap song and the lyrics are genius. The amount of wordplay, double entendre, and the flow of the song itself are all brilliant. Look up the lyrics and try to fully understand them for what I mean.

Two Steps from Hell - Dragon Rider

TSFH is a band that composes and performs music for movie soundtracks, trailers, etc. Dragon Rider is one of their more "epic" pieces. Not much else can be explained.

Gavin Greenaway - Reflections of Earth

As far as orchestral pieces go, this is a more modern one, used at the fireworks show at Epcot in Disney. It starts with a fast-moving string section, then into a quieter oboe/string "second movement" of sorts, then finishes in 6/8 and later 7/8 time at a fast pace.

Zelda Reorchestrated - The Great Sea

If you've ever played The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, you'll know the sailing tune. ZREO basically re-orchestrated it, and it's still just as amazing.

I could never possibly list all my favourite songs in order, but here are some of my favourites.

Diablo Swing Orchestra - Balrog Boogie
Or any other DSO song really, I love them all. Very unique style, astounding vocals, and a skilful blend og genres. This song in particular is very boppy and fun to listen to.

Dream Theater - Octavarium
Second what Temperantia said. This has got to be one of my very absolute favourite songs. 24 minutes long but I love every minute of it. It's just so beautiful and epic. Speaking of which...

Faith no More - Epic
Describes itself really. Starts of with an interesting rap/rock thing then progresses until it hits the solo, which is, well, epic. Then eventually the song fades into a nice piano outro. Fantastic song from a fantastic album.
But urm, don't ask me about that video...

Muse - Hysteria
Kickass bassline. Really cool song overall. Not much more to say.

Cake - Sheep Go to Heaven
Cake are a very cool band, and this is one of their better songs. Fairly simplistic compared to the music I've listed above, but very catchy and enjoyable. Plus, trumpet. :p

Kenji Yamamoto - The Greatest Tactics in the Universe
A song written for Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3. Instrumental piece in 7/4 (I love 7/4 for some reason), has some cool guitar riffs and solos, as well as saxophones and other stuff. Very cool song.
The above is the unlooped version, but for some reasone the video has 3-4 minutes of nothing at the end. :/

OCRemix - Pickin' Out the Fleas
A remix of a track from Donkey Kong Country 2. Extremely cool piece. This song bolsters my mood from the very begging with the opening drums, swings into some rocking guitars, backed by a little brass, and generally shits all over the original. Really hits its peak during the solo, especially the climax at about 2:50. Gets me smiling every time.

I could go on for ages, even just from the bands above, but I won't.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
every song i play is my favourite, there and then as i listen to it. you tend to just know if youre interested in the song after hearing its introduction, and part way into the first verse.

drake ft. jay-z - light up
you me at six - trophy eyes
pillar - frontline
eminem - sing for the moment
rihanna - skin
metallica - nothing else matters
chris brown - deuces
lil wayne - something you forgot
ti ft. kanye west - welcome to the world
skillet - hero

it changes drastically for everyone lol..

Alice in Chains - Would?

Alice in Chains were one of the first bands that I really got into, Layne Staley was the reason I became a vocalist. Why do I enjoy this song? Although it is just about three minutes it is just addicting. Jerry Cantrell's harmonizing with Layne Staley, Mike Starr's audible bass, and Sean Kinney's constant rhythm. What really makes this song for me (like the majority of Alice in Chains' work) is Layne Staley. Layne had a voice that was unique in the aspect that he had his "OWN" voice, he wasn't some clone. Too add on, he just put in so much emotion. Combine the voice of Layne Staley with Jerry Cantrell's songwriting and harmonizing, you have one great band that can seriously make you depress on your bad days! "Would?" represents everything great about Alice in Chains over two minutes, under four minutes, plugged into an amp or unplugged during an acoustic take (MTV Unplugged).

Rainbow - Stargazer

Ritchie Blackmore is well known in the world of rock music for being that guitarist in Deep Purple, while Ronnie James Dio would be known as that one guy that replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath. What do you get with the combined force of the man in black and the little man with the big voice? You get Rainbow! Although I prefer the Ozzy Osbourne fronted Black Sabbath, Rainbow in my opinion was the pinnacle of Ronnie James Dio's music career. I really hate it when songs go on and on in length for the sake of being long (Most Metallica, post-1980's Iron Maiden), Stargazer manages to keep my attention for the almost nine minutes. In addition to the instruments by the band and Dio's vocals, this song includes an orchestra! Words can't do "Stargazer" justice.

Edit: No way does this represent my favorite songs ever, however it does represent a song I heavily enjoy from a band(s) I enjoy.

[youtube]Q3Yc3HhSl1Q[/youtube]
Cydonia is a crater in mars. That is where the video takes place.

I'm a gamer; I have a tenacy to go gaga over film scores and battle music.

Play Your Part Part 1- Girl Talk
Still Here- Girl Talk
No Pause- Girl Talk
Snow- Red Hot Chili Peppers

No need to explain Girl Talk, since Girl Talk explains itself when you listen to it. Snow is just like the best rock song i've ever heard...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)