YOU CAN'T ESCAPE MY VISION (An OU Sun Team)

Shoutout to anyone who knows what band that title came from.

This is saxton with an OU RMT. I've recently come back to OU after a long exodus into the lower tiers, and I decided to stick with what I had enjoyed back in my BW days: a sun team!
This team revolves heavily around trapping key threats on the opponent's team (weather starters and hazard setters/spinners mostly) and allowing my sun-boosted sweepers to clean up.

Let's begin!

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Speed, -Attack)
Drought
252 HP | 120 Def | 136 Speed
Will-O-Wisp | SolarBeam | Roar | Fire Blast

What else would Ninetales be here for? Summoning the weather is usually a top priority, but Dugtrio ends up leading quite often as well in order to catch opposing weather early. I honestly don't understand why people consider Ninetales a terrible pokémon; in sun, the thing is pretty bulky and can actually do some real damage! Out of sun, they're probably right. Anyways, WoW is to cripple physical attackers and to get residual damage in general (a fast WoW allows Tales to survive most EQs!) SolarBeam is really to hit Water switch-ins for decent damage, but it could certainly be replaced (that's your cue!) Roar is for obvious phazing, and honestly I think it's his most useful move on this set. Fire Blast is fairly powerful STAB that hits non resisters for good damage. In general, Ninetales is my "defensive utility" poke.

Volcarona (F) @ Life Orb
Flame Body
252 Special Attack | 4 Special Defense | 252 Speed

Bug Buzz | Fire Blast | Giga Drain | Quiver Dance

I usually use bulky Volc, but I thought that this offensive team might be better suited for the immediately dangerous one. However, Volc is honestly my least used poke on this team, and I would definitely be open to ideas (he originally replaced CS Victini.) Volc is pretty well known at this point, so you get the drill as to his investment. Bug Buzz and Fire Blast are both pretty powerful even without QD boosts, especially Fire Blast under sun (more-or-less a nuke.) Giga Drain really hurts Waters that normally give Volc trouble, and allows me to usually outlast the pink blobs. QD is obvious here.

WOBBUFFET (M) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature (+Special Defense, -Attack)
Shadow Tag
20 HP | 232 Defense | 252 Special Defense
Counter | Encore | Safeguard | Mirror Coat

Ever since I caught him way back in GSC (and he sucked back then,) I've always had a soft spot for Wobbs (much less so for his trapping cousin Dugtrio, although he's growing on me.) His purpose here is much the same as Dugtrio: to either 1) Encore a set up poke and get Volc or Exegg a free switch, or 2) Take care of pesky weather starters with CounterCoat. Wobbs always pulls through for me, although he does usually fall if the opponent plays smart and sets up quickly. His job is pretty self-explanatory!

DUGTRIO @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
Arena Trap
252 Attack | 4 Defense | 252 Speed
Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Reversal | Stone Edge

Dig Dug has been pulling an enormous amount of weight for me, and my formerly bad opinion of him has really changed. He has a great amount of utility thanks to his high Speed and Focus Sash. He can set up SR and then attack, or he can get down to Sash range and start smashing TTar and the like with Reversals. He's a perfect switch in to Jolteon (lol but really,) and he can work as a dynamo with Starmie to take down pesky Flying types (and those Dragons too.) Overall, he's just really useful.

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature (+Speed, -Special Attack)
Chlorophyll
4 HP | 252 Attack | 252 Speed
Swords Dance | Wood Hammer | Zen Headbutt | Low Kick

Don't laugh. This thing is really underestimated in OU. His solid stat spread allows him to switch in on pretty much any resisted attack (although he's a pretty adept revenge killer too) and either attack or set up SD. Wood Hammer coming from Exegg really hurts anything that doesn't resist. Zen Headbutt is a solid STAB option if you don't want the extra Hammer recoil, and Low Kick allows Exegg to nail Ferrothorn and Hydreigon notably. However, he's sadly walled by Jirachi in this case, but he makes up for it with his great power and surprise factor.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Natural Cure
248 HP | 32 Defense | 4 Special Attack | 252 Speed
Rapid Spin | Scald | Ice Beam | Recover

Starmie's the best offensive spinner in OU, even though he has only decent bulk and average attacking power. He can absorb annoying status aimed at Eggy or Volc and then proceed to spin or try and cripple the opponent with Scald. Ice Beam gives the speedy star a dragon-killing utility, and Recover lets him stick around through repeated switch-ins.

Any help would be really appreciated, I hope you enjoyed the team!
-saxton

Scotti

we back.
Wow really nice team Saxtonhale, so i have to rate it. First on Ninetales you should replace Solarbeam with Sunny Day. With Sunny Day it allows you to predict Politoad switch ins and use Sunny Day so you can keep your weather. Next you should run 21 ivs in HP so you can hit Chansey and Blissey with reversal at full power. Another thing i think could be helpful is to run Passho Berry on Volc, so you can setup on pokemon in Rain. Finally i think you should replace Wobbuffet with Magma Storm Tran.

Here is Summary of Changes:

Solarbeam -----> Sunny Day

Dugtrio 21hp IVs

Passho Berry -----> Life Orb

Magma Storm Tran -----> Wobbufett

Heatran Set:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- SolarBeam
- Sunny Day
- Earth Power / Taunt

This Heatran set can trap all the Weather starters and defeat them. You can run taunt over Earth Power to defeat Hippowdon.

Last edited:
I like this team. I think wobs should be replaced with something like heatran but that's my thoughts. Whatever gets you wins, keep it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)