XY UU Beta Research Week #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 10025
welp, i guess i'll give my thoughts on mew and kyurem. i had a bit of trouble teambuilding with them (hence the meh rating), but here are the sets i used.

Kyurem @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 116 Atk/140 SAtk/252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Earth Power
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 164 SDef / 248 HP / 96 Spd
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost

i figured i'd try something different than SubRoost for Kyurem, so i decided to try out this set from the discussion thread. It's incredibly strong and excels against slower teams, though it kind of struggles with offensive teams. Also, just missing out on Hydreigon and Haxorus's speed tiers is annoying :/. As for Mew, i experimented with a few sets, but the most successful by far was the standard stallbreaker. It puts in an insane amount of work against a lot of teams and just refuses to die, really.

I forgot to save logs for a lot of my battles, but here's one where kyurem just rips through a team.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-93179594

Last edited:
Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 164 SDef / 248 HP / 96 Spd
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Roost

Why Calm Nature? You don't have any special attacks, plus it lowers Attack, so Knock Off has less damage.

Replaced a few team members for my own team, been doing better than before but still really terrible, with a W-L record of 31-21.

Why Calm Nature? You don't have any special attacks, plus it lowers Attack, so Knock Off has less damage.

Replaced a few team members for my own team, been doing better than before but still really terrible, with a W-L record of 31-21.
oh lol, i meant to put careful there. fixed.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: MeowiekinsUU
Poke: Mew

Won't get to ladder until after Monday but should be interesting.

I'm trying to break into UU, so I hope this gives me cool team ideas!

Joining as awe of she. Using Kyurem.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ooooh, I wanna try with Mew

Alt: Wyvern56 Alt

Last edited:
I'll be joining under the alt AcqueRes and testing Kyruem / Mew. I'll probably do badly, but this looks like fun anyway.

Alt: Element119
Rating as of Thursday night: 1178
Current rating: 1210
W-L-T as of Thursday night: 12-5-0
Current W-L-T: 13-5-0
Pokemon: Kyurem and Mega Ampharos
Why I picked them: Ingenuity is my middle name. I saw an extremely potent double dragons core here, but unlike most Double Dragons cores, this one attacks exclusively from the special side, with Braviary added to provide speed control in the form of Tailwind. Finally, I chose a physical wall, a spinner, and a cleaner that had good synergy with the Dual Dragons Duo.
Import:
Kyurem @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 240 HP / 4 SDef / 12 Spd
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Roost
- Draco Meteor

Ampharos (F) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 HP / 36 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast

Suicune @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 240 HP / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Thunder Punch

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch

Virizion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 232 Spd / 252 Atk / 24 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94060215
This was a fun match to play. At first it felt like a losing battle after my Aggron fell to a Scarfed Durant but somehow Kyurem got in repeatedly and tore the team to shreds.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94511472
This match required some prediction and bravery to allow Kyurem to absolutely dismantle this team. From there it was easy to wear down the rest of the team with Hitmonchan.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94521702
This is an interesting video due to the team I was up against. The Braviary sacrifice was needed for me to win, lest an endless cycle of Substitute + Harvest. It's why I run Signal Beam to an extent.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94873159
A critical hit won me a battle that I would have otherwise lost.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94892530
Once Shiftry took Braviary's place, it immediately went and broke a Trick Room team to smithereens, letting the dragons finish the job.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94916955
In some cases, Aggron can clean without Weakness Policy being activated. This is one of those times, from a tough battle.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-95881340
Suicune and Virizion make their debut. Hitmonchan once again proves to be very valuable. An analysis of my set should be written if there hasn't been one written for it already.

Note: if anybody has suggested speed tiers for any of the Pokemon, particularly Hitmonchan, please let me know!

Replaced by Suicune

Shiftry (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Lonely Nature
- Tailwind
- Giga Drain
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion

Why it was replaced: Once Virizion was added, Shiftry became outclassed by Suicune as I was stacking Grass types more than I wanted to.
Replaced by Virizion
Aggron (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Why it was replaced: Aggron required too much team support and rarely got the WP boost due to its few weaknesses. If it could outspeed Scarf Krookodile at +2 Speed that'd be a different story, but Virizion replaced it as a much more reliable revenge-killer.

Replaced by Shiftry
Braviary (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Tailwind
- Return
Why it was replaced: I needed a more reliable way to wear down Bulky Waters while providing Tailwind support. While I may try Suicune later, Shiftry's the go-to for the time being, partially because it almost never sees the light of UU.

Last edited:
Pokes: Mew, Kyurem
Alt: xX420FEDORAFLIPZXx

I'm gonna try Choice Specs Kyurem first, though Subroost seems to be his scariest set overall. Mew's best bet from pure guessing is some Defog + SR set.

Alt Name: TheoryMonUUKyu
Pokemon: Kyurem and Gastrodon

Here is what I have found to be the most viable so far without Hail support:

Kyurem @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Pretty much standard at this point, I think. Enough HP to Sub 101hps, etc. But I am looking for something a little more exotic and fun to play with here....
You want something more exotic? Although this is just a theorymon, it might be to your liking:

Kyurem @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Lonely
-Outrage
-Hone Claws
-Blizzard
-Stone Edge/Draco Meteor/Roost

The Hone Claws set has a lot of potential since it is physically biased. On top of boosting Outrage, it makes Blizzard usable outside of Hail, while buffing up a third coverage move in terms of accuracy, power, or both. Earthquake is the preferred coverage move for hitting Steels, but Stone Edge, Draco Meteor, and Roost all have their merits. If you want to run Roost, I might move some of the speed Attack EVs to Special Defense though.

Last edited:
Whoops, I guess you could run Earth Power if you wanted, but I'd rather use Stone Edge to best take advantage of Hone Claws.

The main problem with Kyurem as a wall breaker imo, is that it is weak to the latter half of the Edge/Quake combo. It also does not take the former half very well.
Its bulky substitute does a lot here to let him get in and take a few hits. Comparatively low defensive stats, poor defensive typing, and iffy speed has made it a bit difficult to work with. There have been a few occasions where the sub+roost set has pulled its weight, but I did a purely non-fairy wall breaker thing with Draco Meteor and Outrage. The set I use is not recommended, the mixed scarf has been a little more useful. Leftovers was okay too.

Kyruem Finally Pulls Its Weight

Gastrodon continues to be a huge boon, but his attacks are much weaker than Quasire, and even other Scald spammers.

This is a good game where everyone does their job, aside from a few misplays on both sides (I am still new!)

Anyway, I will post more detailed analyses later. I still feel like I am just using Kyurem incorrectly. For the tier, his attacks should be brutal coming these monstrous attack stats. I would like to find a set that does not require any setup. Typing and defensive stats make this difficult.

ok, i started after i read this post from panamaxis in the viability thread, where he was talking about mew:
panamaxis said:
Taunt Wisp Knock off Roost beats or cripples a significant majority of the tier. I'd argue that mew can wall a significant portion of the metagame as it it extremely hard to break without STAB SE moves unless you just have insane power to being with. And then keep in mind that any switch-in to mew risks losing it's item, so when the offensive mons' Choice Specs / Band / Life Orb gets knocked off mew just becomes that much harder to break.
after learning that, i decided to try it myself. i didn't know what the spread was, so i decided on a physic defense mew, which is the set posted below:

Mew @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

it did well on the ladder, taking the alt s0ren (which i had already reserved at the start of this thread) to this relatively good record: View attachment 10074

i found out that this mew set is pratically invencible. there's no way to kill it; against offensive teams, it's bulk + knock off + will o wisp will make it almost untouchable (crawdaunt's CB knock off does 70% after an will o wisp, and the second one will do 45% aproximately), making it vulnerable only to very powerful super effective hits from the likes of mega houndoom, hydreigon, and chandelure, and the second 2 hate losing their items to knock off. against stall, though, it's when the thing really shines. chansey, umbreon, florges, mega aggron, slowbro, chesnaught, qwilfish, whatever. they cannot touch this set and will slowly lose.

i'm obviously not showing the 35 logs of the battles i won, but here are some of them where mew proved to be amazing:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94080431

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94087548

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94093333

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94094502

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94116720

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94148282

Ok, decided to re-write my post ^^
Alternate Account: YoUU're cool.
Pokemon: Kyurem & Mew

Ok, so I made my team and wanted to play with it, and I've lost three times (one due to Wi-fi lagging, the other due to EXTREME hax)
Yeah, here:
View attachment 10075
still playing tho

Alt name: eff8zion
Pokemon used: Mega Ampharos

This isn't a fresh alt I made for this thread, but I've played every game with mega Amph. If that disqualifies me from the hall of fame, oh well. I'm not going to re ladder.

My set:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 196 SDef / 248 HP / 44 SAtk / 20 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

EVs are to outrun Hippowdon and always 2hko him after leftovers, rest goes into special bulk. His ability is sadly not that great in UU, but every once in a while someone will try to get smart and switch a lightning rod poke in to try and block your volt switch. It won't work and you will still hit them.

I've been advocating for this guy for a while now. He's the perfect partner for Suicune, switching in endlessly against electric and grass moves, while Suicune can cover the ice moves and earthquakes. Dragon pulse is reliable stab, the slow volt switch lets you pivot and switch in another mon without him taking a hit (frail mons like Hawlucha appreciate this), and rest talk makes sure your Amphy lasts the whole battle. A lot of people talk down on rest talk like it's a bad thing, but if anything I think it's the best form of recovery for a tank like this because it cures your status. Amph definitely has the typing and bulk to survive the rest turns, and he really hates toxic, so it makes sense to rely on rest.

Amphy fits best on balanced teams that appreciate his defensive presence as well as his ability to pivot into a sweeper. Stall teams don't really need his typing (Zapdos + Chansey covers most everything Amphy would, just get something else for Victini). HO teams obviously want a faster threat like mega Houndoom.

Last edited:
Reporting day 1

Currently sitting at 17-8. Not the best score compared to some others here (35-3, geez I can't even do that). About 4 of the losses are from teambuilding process etc, and 1 is because I got haxed out completely.

Anyway, Mega Ampharos is definitely pulling off his weight and it's so fabulous it doesn't give a shit. It has that amazing 165 Base SpA which dents litteraly everything not called Florges or Chansey, and the bulk to take hits quite easy. The speed is a letdown but allows you to invest in bulk more.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 252 HP / 132 SAtk / 124 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

ThunderBolt and Dragon Pulse are good STAB Moves and Focus Blast rounds off the covare quite nicely.The last slot is quite customizable but I use it for Volt Switch to act as pivot and slow Volt Switch to make something out of his 55 base Spe.

The start
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-93832029

I started off running Mega Amphy on a team with QuiverPass Venomoth and CB Crawdaunt, followed by a core of Florges and Zapdos. But I found out that it didn't function as well as I hoped. Above is one of the more succesfull replays.

The Improvement
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uubeta-94318214

I figured out, while showering (lol), that Durant has insane typing synergy with Mega Ampharos, Resisting 3 of it's weaknesses and being neutral to another. In return, Amphy resists the glaring Fire weakness that comes along with Durant (after Megavolving, that is).

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

This thing is powerful as crap and compliments Ampharos by hitting on the other side of the spectrum and having insane synergy. I tried out Escavalier in the same spot as well, but eh, then my team became so sloooooow. Anyway this thing can easily knock out a weakened Chansey and one-shot Florges so the path is free for Amphy. In return Amphy can take out the premier physical wall of UU, Mage Aggron. Also Amphy can bring in Durant safely thanks to it's slow VolTurn. So yea these two make a fiersome combo.

252 Atk Choice Band Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 474-560 (131.6 - 155.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 458-540 (65 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You can also run Hustle but then you're living dangerously.

I'll update soon.

And then you realise you're at 21-12. .-.

Last edited:

I have to say, this team I built with gastrodon is extremely boring (a kind of semi-stall). But as a Pokemon, I find it a very good switch-in to a lot of threats. Physical mons have a lot of trouble with it (I especially like using it to fight Hippowdon, Arcanine, and Crawdaunt to an extent) I've been using this set:
OG Slug (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
Incredibly standard, except I went for Ice Beam over Earth Power due to Zygardes being able to plow through my team, as well as being able to fight the occasional Noivern.

I'm going to blame the fact I'm playing stall for my losses, as lame as that is. I might try to build a more balance team with Gastro.

>mfw I've done more than 100 battles and the best i've made it is the 1500s

Jesus Christ, I'm bad. I keep changing my teams to see what works best, yet I always feel like I'm getting counterteamed. The only other set I've tried for Mew is the standard SD set, which is also pretty good. My rating is around the mid 1300s last I checked, but it's probably lower.

Mew @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Swords Dance
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off

Anyway, onto the set. Like i said, pretty standard, nothing too special, but I've been switching around Knock Off and Sucker Punch.

One thing I have noticed about this set is that it LOVES Sticky Web Support. 100 Speed is great, but it's not outspeeding a lot of its common threats, like M-Houndoom and Heracross. Sticky Web fixes that, turning it into a beast that outspeeds most common threats.

OG Slug (Gastrodon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Recover
Incredibly standard, except I went for Ice Beam over Earth Power due to Zygardes being able to plow through my team, as well as being able to fight the occasional Noivern.
This set destroys Zygarde. What defensive core were you using that was otherwise Zygarde-weak (I'm curious)?

Also, I've been seeing the Aggron-Latias core floating around a lot. In my case, Kyurem beats most Latias 1-on-1 but cannot get past a healthy Aggron without hax. Aggron walls Braviary and Regirock and uses both as setup fodder. I began running Focus Blast on Mega-Ampharos (over HP Flying, which was a worse idea than it initially seemed) to handle Mega-Aggron better. Thoughts on this plan of attack (refer back to my import if you wish)?

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Coming through with the late post, but later than never I guess right? I've been using Mega Ampharos pretty extensively on my alt, CoolStoryChokebat. So far the team's 9-0, and I'm kinda impressed with how Mega Ampharos holds up. What I like best about it is that typing that allows it to check so many things on top of its bulk. HP Grass Magnezone is flat-out countered by it (Sadly some people don't know NOT to run HP Ice as of yet in UU), Victini is checked by it though the Scarf set is kind of the only variant it mainly can switch into more than once. Heck, though I don't want to go on a campaign advocating you switch Ampharos into it, it also checks Crawdaunt decently after Mega Evolving since it resists Crabhammer and has a slim chance to avoid the 2HKO from Knock Off, which seems bad but you technically win the matchup one-on-one if you switch in on Crabhammer. And if it's ever got to come down to it, max HP Ampharos actually survives a Zygarde's unboosted EQ and OHKOes back with Dragon Pulse (I've had it happen a few times and it's saved me from it here and there).

The set I've been using isn't much of anything special, just:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

I have noticed I hardly find myself using Focus Blast, save for those odd moments where the opponent's trying to play mind games with like...Krookodile or Hydreigon or something, lol. But I guess it's good to have just in case. As someone else stated earlier, I think Mega Ampharos definitely shines on Balanced teams where its typing both helps defensively while it can still put out damage offensively. The set I'm running gets worn down like nobody's business, so clerics like Florges or Chansey (Eugh) definitely keep it going in the long run.

Edit: Have also been testing Signal Beam over Focus Blast, since it more reliably dispatches Celebi and still allows you to hit everything else that gets hurt by Focus Blast for a 2HKO at the least. Everything except Magnezone anyway, but he's easy to wear down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)