ORAS OU Witty Team Name: Set up and Get Up! (Peaked around 1780 normal OU, but I don't have the screens :P)

Hello, I'm going to do one of these RMT things with the same OU team I've been using for ages okay lets go.
upload_2014-11-2_1-20-30.png

SkyLion (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Lando is pretty much a staple of this meta, with Intimidate helping take down a lot of annoying threats. You'll notice the absence of U-Turn on this set. I honestly can't find a move on there to pull for it, and scarf limits my access to rocks. However, pumping Attack and HP with Adamant nature helps it hit hard, and the Intimidate Knock-Off combo can really be a pain to the opponent if I predict correctly.

upload_2014-11-2_1-4-50.png

DERGERNERT (Dragonite) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Who says late game D-nite is dead? Having saved my ass after a bunch of terrible plays many times in the past, I can honestly think of no better item for puff here than Weakness Policy. D-Dance means I can run Adamant while taking nearly every hit (Including Ice Punch from mega-bunny at a -1 due to intimidate) and then get the boosts of the policy when needed. It's a gamble of course, but after one dance, this dragon outspeeds nearly all Ice Shard users, and with the 2.5x attack boost due to a dance and taking either a stone edge or an ice shard, E-Speed also kills many threats after rocks. Obviously, rocks are a huge issue here, because losing Multiscale is really also losing the Weakness Policy as well.

upload_2014-11-2_1-9-19.png

Latinos (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

Not a ton to say about this standard 'os here. Important to keep it alive early-mid battle in order to keep rocks out of the way for Dnite and the bug.
upload_2014-11-2_1-10-44.png

CLONE ME (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 92 Atk / 164 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam

Again, this has pretty much become the standard ORASOU ninja. Gunk shot has saved me more times than I can count. 99% of the time, Ninja's my lead being fast enough to out-speed everything. Of course, there's always the guessing game of if the Landorus is scarfed or not, however Ninja can live a U turn, meaning I can usually OHKO the switch in if I guess correctly thanks to HP fire Ferro/sharp coverage.
upload_2014-11-2_1-14-54.png

Smarmy Bastard (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

The newcomer to the gang, MegaGross was a replacement for Mega Medicham, and I'm liking where it's going so far. The move set is nearly the same, save swapping drain punch for EQ (thanks Heatran), and tough claws can really do a number with some pretty good predictions. Also, the fact that a mega evolution doesn't happen until AFTER the opponent switches allows me to clear body block an intimidate, and then hit back hard. Having a huge Defense (enough to where there's very little physical attacks that can take it out) and access to STAB priority allows MegaGross to act as my Megamence check, while allowing safe switch ins in many situations.

upload_2014-11-2_1-18-53.png

SmogonSetupMoth (Volcarona) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain

Love the bug. Volcarona has again, great set up potential decimated by rocks. After 1 quiver, it outspeeds nearly anything. I can freely switch into Rotom-W and then giga drain my health back next turn. I can set up once, than reveal HP ground to the Heatran who thinks he'll get the better of me. Flame body ruins your priority Scizor's day. Firey Dance gives boosts while being a stab 90 power attack, and it's a bit broken. Once I have literally one boost with this thing, the only things that will stop me are Tyranatar or Chansey. That being said, I've stalled Toxic Chansey out by using Giga Drain. Now obviously the moth is not infallible, and physical priority will end any streak, however, without rocks, it's a great switch in.

Threats:
Excadrill-TTar teams are always annyoing, however mega Metagross has alleviated quite a few of those problems with its natural bulk.

Rain Teams: Still trying to figure out what to do here beyond stalling out the rain. Swift Swim Kingdra goes through my team like a hot knife through butter. M-Swampert surprisingly is easily taken care of by MegaGross.

There's a bunch of other stuff, but those two are my main concern!

Have at it, and don't hold anything back!

super shout outs
smelliott for the original basis of the Lano
TalkTakesTime for throwing me the GunkNinja base set
Cranham for yelling about cancer all the time
Scotteh because he loves shout outs
Angeela for knowing how bad I suck at the meta.
Rosie_The_Venusaur for always saying hi
slayerx725232 for TRYING to make my mega alakazam set viable.
This Space Reserved For anyone who can HONESTLY tell me a good reason enough to run U-Turn on my lando.

Attachments

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What does Latios run thunderbolt for? You're probably better off with Earthquake for Heatran or HP fire to hit Ferrothorn along with Skarmpry, unless I'm missing some other big threat you absolutely need to hit.

Consider scarfing latios to deal with Swift Swim kingdra.

Landorus seems solid. You could give up stone edge for U-Turn if you're happy with Latios' special thunderbolt for dealing with flying types.

What does Latios run thunderbolt for? You're probably better off with Earthquake for Heatran or HP fire to hit Ferrothorn along with Skarmpry, unless I'm missing some other big threat you absolutely need to hit.
Thunderbolt provides coverage against Skarmory.

Earthquake isn't worthwhile due to latios' high special attack stats compared to physical attack. He can switch into Landorus or even Dragonite (which can both take attacks from Heatran) and EQ it that way, or even just utilise Volcarona's HP ground.

Hidden power fire isn't amazing in power, it isn't a move Latios should be wasting high special attack stats on. Volcarona provides excellent coverage against Ferrothorn anyway.

Last edited:
HP fire is not lacklustre as it takes out several threats like mega scizor and ferrothorn while also taking out skarmory.. But since you have volcarona I would recommend recover over t-bolt for longitivity.

Glhf playing

Latios often runs thunderbolt for azumarill and skarmory.

Anyways, for your greninja EVs, 92 attack is too much, you only need 40 attack EVs to OHKO standard AV azumarill with gunk shot, so take out the extra 52 EVs and dump them into special attack. Since this team is made for ORAS, run lum berry over weakness policy on dragonite, because sableye will definitely be more common. Next, for your volcarona set, I recommend this one:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
This set is the bulky quiver dance, and once checks and counters like talonflame and heatran have been taken out, it can slowly set up and proceed to wreck teams. Roost is more reliable recovery than giga drain, and volcarona lacking fire STAB is walled by so much stuff it's not even funny.
Also for your mega metagross set, I don't recommend running earthquake, since it's not tough claws boosted, and you have multiple ways of dealing with heatran (dragonite, landorus, and greninja). Instead, I recommend meteor mash, because it has the chance to boost your attack, is a strong STAB move, is tough claws boosted, and is in general pretty spammable.
That's basically about it, nice team you have, and hope I helped!

Latios often runs thunderbolt for azumarill and skarmory.

Anyways, for your greninja EVs, 92 attack is too much, you only need 40 attack EVs to OHKO standard AV azumarill with gunk shot, so take out the extra 52 EVs and dump them into special attack. Since this team is made for ORAS, run lum berry over weakness policy on dragonite, because sableye will definitely be more common. Next, for your volcarona set, I recommend this one:

Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Roost
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
This set is the bulky quiver dance, and once checks and counters like talonflame and heatran have been taken out, it can slowly set up and proceed to wreck teams. Roost is more reliable recovery than giga drain, and volcarona lacking fire STAB is walled by so much stuff it's not even funny.
Also for your mega metagross set, I don't recommend running earthquake, since it's not tough claws boosted, and you have multiple ways of dealing with heatran (dragonite, landorus, and greninja). Instead, I recommend meteor mash, because it has the chance to boost your attack, is a strong STAB move, is tough claws boosted, and is in general pretty spammable.
That's basically about it, nice team you have, and hope I helped!
The issue is heatran ends all these sweeps, especially volc, and meta comes in late game. HP ground is essential on volc both for hearan and the rapidly declining Zard-x

The issue is heatran ends all these sweeps, especially volc, and meta comes in late game. HP ground is essential on volc both for hearan and the rapidly declining Zard-x
I've been experimenting with HP ground/Giga Drain/Roost as 4th move substitutes for volcarona. So far, HP ground has proven to be the most useful by far, provided you can keep Volcarona's health up by avoiding entry hazards/bad switch-ins and not allowing it to become poisoned/paralysed.

No amount of roost abuse and bug buzz is going to get Volcarona past a Heatran, so if you're looking to sweep with the bug, I suggest you stay with HP ground.

I've been experimenting with HP ground/Giga Drain/Roost as 4th move substitutes for volcarona. So far, HP ground has proven to be the most useful by far, provided you can keep Volcarona's health up by avoiding entry hazards/bad switch-ins and not allowing it to become poisoned/paralysed.

No amount of roost abuse and bug buzz is going to get Volcarona past a Heatran, so if you're looking to sweep with the bug, I suggest you stay with HP ground.
In addition Giga Drain is quite useful for health recovery. For brave sweeps it's all about making the correct qd predictions.

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

I would go with this spread. More speed EVs and a Jolly nature takes advantage of Metagross' fantastic base 110 speed. When you invest fully in HP and Attack, the insane base speed basically goes to waste. I'd run more speed for a still bulky but now fast attacker.

DERGERNERT (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Lum Berry over Weakness Policy is more consistent in my opinion. A one time get-out-of-status free card is way more consistent than possibly fishing for an SE hit. Not to mention that people often play around Multiscale, "diffusing" it with a weaker hit so to speak. Setting up at the right time with your Lum Berry still there could be all you need to get by Rotom-W or whatever else tries to check DNite by burning or paralyzing it.

That's all I have, although Greninja's EV spread seems a bit odd. It only needs 40 Attack EVs to OHKO Azumarill, what are you running more than that for?

Jolly Nature

- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

I would go with this spread. More speed EVs and a Jolly nature takes advantage of Metagross' fantastic base 110 speed. When you invest fully in HP and Attack, the insane base speed basically goes to waste. I'd run more speed for a still bulky but now fast attacker.

DERGERNERT (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Lum Berry over Weakness Policy is more consistent in my opinion. A one time get-out-of-status free card is way more consistent than possibly fishing for an SE hit. Not to mention that people often play around Multiscale, "diffusing" it with a weaker hit so to speak. Setting up at the right time with your Lum Berry still there could be all you need to get by Rotom-W or whatever else tries to check DNite by burning or paralyzing it.

That's all I have, although Greninja's EV spread seems a bit odd. It only needs 40 Attack EVs to OHKO Azumarill, what are you running more than that for?
Running more for Sylveon and Clefable

He has multiple ways of taking out heatran, greninja's hydro pump, dragonite's earthquake, and lando-t's earthquake, if you are trying to set volcarona up for a sweep, you shouldn't even consider it if he has a heatran out on the field. HP Ground is honestly too niche and the only thing it hits is heatran, while charizard x comes extremely close to OHKOing with flare blitz at +0. As I mentioned before HP ground is too niche and roost is probably better because it's more reliable recovery, giga drain doesn't help against heatran, and against pokemon that resist grass, you're better off using roost, because giga drain won't be getting back lots of health. If you are going to run HP ground, at least run bug buzz too, because part of what makes volcarona good is it's great STAB combo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)