Whimsicott (QC: 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
nice and annoying
Overview
########

+ Tons of utility
+ Great ability in Prankster that makes use of said utility moves
+ Brings a lot of momentum
+ Nice typing in Grass/Fairy allows it to take on the likes of Keldeo, Breloom, Slowbro, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, etc.
- Lackluster stats overall except speed
- No offensive presence whatsoever.
- Easy to widdle due to its lack of reliable recovery.

Fast Support
########
name: Fast Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Stun Spore
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Encore
ability: Prankster
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Moonblast, while weak, allows Whimsicott to damage what it's suposed to check, as it heavily damages the likes of Breloom, Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Latios and Latias, etc.
- Stun Spore cripples anything that isn't a grass-type, and combined with Prankster it is able to paralyze fast sweepers such as Sand Rush Excadrill, Rock Polish Landorus, Swift Swim users like Mega Swampert, Kingdra, Kabutops, Omastar and is overall a nice move to have.
- U-turn is for momentum purposes
- Encore locks the opposing Pokemon into the last move they have used. It is certainly useful to stop opposing set-up.

Set Details
========

- A Timid nature with maximum speed investment outspeeds everything up to Starmie and Raikou.
- The rest is invested in bulk so that Whimsicott can take hits better.
- Leftovers allows for passive recovery, as without it, this set would be easier to wear down.
- Prankster is the key to Whimsicott's success in the metagame, as without it, it wouldn't be able to stop sweeps with priority Stun Spore or Encore.

Usage Tips
========

- Whimsicott checks a plethora of Pokemon in the tier, use it as a pivot to them.
- The best idea early game is to use U-turn, as Whimsicott is easy to take advantage of, and you don't lose anything by going for U-turn as it scouts what your opponent wants to do and gain momentum.
- However, if they have used a set-up move, use Encore to stop a possible sweep and proceed to U-turn afterwards.
- Use Moonblast only when you really need to, as it's a move really easy to switch into, specially considering Whimsicott's poor Special Attack.

Team Options
========

- Whimsicott is usually the Pokemon that supports the team, and as such, it shouldn't be built around it.
- However, Whimsicott has glaring weaknesses to Poison, Fire and Steel so Pokemon that can take advantage of them such as Heatran and Mega Gallade have great synergy with Whimsicott.
- Frail Pokemon love Whimsicott's ability to bring momentum to the table with U-turn, allowing them to switch in freely without taking any damage, in case the opponent didn't stay in of course.

Prankster
########
name: Prankster
move 1: Encore
move 2: U-turn
move 3: Memento
move 4: Tailwind / Stun Spore / Taunt / Switcheroo
item: Lagging Tail
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Impish

Moves
========

- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used. This is specially useful against set-up sweepers such as Mega Gyarados and Mega Slowbro.
- U-turn combined with Lagging Tail allows you to bring a teammate safely.
- Memento lowers the opponent's Attack and Special Attack by two stages at the cost of losing Whimsicott. This is helpful to bring a teammate for free and set-up easier.
- Tailwind to raise teammates speed.
- Stun Spore paralyzes an opposing Pokemon unless it's a Grass-type, essentially crippling it by the rest of the match.
- Taunt stops non attacking moves from being used. It works well on hazard stacking teams as it stops Defog.
- Switcheroo with Lagging Tail allows Whimsicott to take an item from opposing Pokemon and also cripple it due to Lagging Tail's effect of making the wielder move last.

Set Details
========

- Maximum HP and Def investment with an Impish nature to take on Mega Gyarados, Mega Lopunny, Breloom, etc.
- However, a specially defensive spread can be used to take on Keldeo, Kingdra and Slowbro better.
- Lagging Tail so that you have slow U-turns.
- Prankster is vital for Whimsicott's success as it makes non attacking moves have priority.

Usage Tips
========

- Bring Whimsicott on something that it can take it on and proceed to use a move accordingly.
- Whimsicott is somewhat predictable, so most of the time spamming U-turn is the best idea, as it brings a teammate safely and you can scout what your opponent wants to do.
- Don't let Whimsicott go down if you need it to check something late game.

Team Options
========

- Frail and powerful pokemon such as Weavile, Gengar and Thundurus appreciates Whimsicott's ability to bring them safely.
- If running Tailwind, pokemon such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir and Crawdaunt can turn themselves into cleaning machines, and as such, partnering Whimsicott with them is a good idea.
- Something to take on the common Flying, Fire, Steel-types that Whimsicott baits in. Terrakion is a great example, as it's able to deal with them.

Focus Sash
########
name: Focus Sash
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Encore
move 3: Memento / Endeavor
move 4: Tailwind
item: Focus Sash
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

- Taunt stops non attacking moves and it lets Whimsicott not be Taunt bait itself.
- Encore locks the enemy into the last move they have used and it prevents Whimsicott from being set-up bait.
- Memento allows to bring a teammate safely after it has done its job. It also lowers the opponents Attack and Special Attack by two stages.
- However, if Memento is not desired, Endeavor in tandem with Focus Sash allows Whimsicott to weaken a pokemon severely.
- Tailwind doubles teammates speed for 4 turns.

Set Details
========

- A Timid nature with maximum Speed investment allows Whimsicott to get its job done, as it outspeeds any Taunt user, even Prankster Thundurus.
- Rest in HP because it's not using an attacking move.
- Focus Sash combined with Prankster allows Whimsicott to use two moves minimum.

Usage Tips
========

- Lead with it and proceed to either Taunt if you think the opponent has Taunt itself or any hazard or set-up Tailwind.
- If Whimsicott hasn't gone down by the time it used Tailwind, use Memento to bring a teammate safely.
- If Whimsicott is using Endeavor, use it whenever you get attacked.
- Encore whenever the opponent uses a set-up move.

Team Options
========

- This Whimsicott set is exclusive to Baton Pass teams, and as such, its partners are usually the same. Use it along with Dual Screens Azelf, Geomancy Smeargle with Baton Pass, and Espeon with Stored Power. It's very simple.

Other Options
########

- Knock Off can be very useful, as even with no attack investment it is a no opportunity cost move, as it removes the items of opposing Pokemon.
- SubSeed is an option Whimsicott has in its arsenal. However, it is not advisable to run this set as its easily taken advantage of and blocked by Grass-types.
- Grass Whistle allows you to put an opposing Pokemon to sleep. While this might seem really useful, its bad accuracy makes it unreliable.

Checks & Counters
########

**Residual Damage**: Whimsicott is known for using U-turn, so Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin / Iron Barbs users such as Ferrothorn and ironically Garchomp give it a rough time.

**Types it is weak to**: Whimsicott doesn't usually use attacking moves due to its poor offenses, as such, it is forced out by Fire, Poison, Ice, Steel and Flying-types.

**Bisharp**: Bisharp recieves its own mention in checks and counters due to its Steel-type STAB that can easily dispose of Whimsicott in tandem with its Defiant ability which completely takes advantage of Memento.

Last edited:
Poek97 said:
- Easy to widdle due to its lack of recovery outside of Rest.
It has leech seed, well it's not that great but it's still not a lack of recovery tho.
poek97 said:
**Types it is weak to**
Plus your analyse lack of details.
You should watch other analyse and have a look on what we are expecting from you i guess.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
It has leech seed, well it's not that great but it's still not a lack of recovery tho.

Plus your analyse lack of details.
You should watch other analyse and have a look on what we are expecting from you i guess.
I'll just put due to its lack of reliable recovery and call it a day.
Also, Whimsicott is just a full support mon, it doesn't have a way to deal with the types of mons that have advantage over it. I dont know if you want me to list all the fire, poisons, steels, flying and ice types on the tier. If someone has a suggestion to tidy up the checks/counters section I'll gladly take it. Whimsicott is a really special mon because it has an exclusive niche no other pokemon has, and a set that only works in a standalone playstyle, Baton Pass, so looking at other analyses may help me a bit to write this better, and trust me, I've looked into a lot of analyses, but it won't help me writing such a special mon. As I said, I'll gladly take any suggestion.

Last edited:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I think it'd be nice if you could post another support set as option. I'm talking about something like this:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- U-turn
- Encore
It's the better set if your team needs something to switch into Scalds or revenge killing Pokémon like Keldeo or Thundurus, for example. The Lagging Tail is nice but this one's probably more common and almost as effective.

Also, Switcheroo should definetly be the first option on Whimsicott's Lagging Tail set, not Tailwind, imo.

Last edited:

Poek

squadala
Big Chungus Winner
I think it'd be nice if you could post another support set as option. I'm talking about something like this:

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- U-turn
- Encore
It's the better set if your team needs something to switch into Scalds or revenge killing Pokémon like Keldeo or Thundurus, for example. The Lagging Tail is nice but this one's probably more common and almost as effective.

Also, Switcheroo should definetly be the first option on Whimsicott's Lagging Tail set, not Tailwind, imo.
Added it. Btw does the SpD investment to it do something special? Max Speed might be useful to pick off weakened Starmies, Raikous, etc.
I don't know about Switcheroo > Tailwind. I've used Whimsicott a lot and Tailwind has come in clutch a lot of times, as it is a deadly weapon for cleaning teams, and Whimsicott is actually the only one setting it up and bring a teammate safely, thanks to Memento or Lagging Tail U-turn. Also, another downside of Switcheroo is that it doesn't do anything against megas. Does it do something great that I am not aware of?

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Added it. Btw does the SpD investment to it do something special? Max Speed might be useful to pick off weakened Starmies, Raikous, etc.
I don't know about Switcheroo > Tailwind. I've used Whimsicott a lot and Tailwind has come in clutch a lot of times, as it is a deadly weapon for cleaning teams, and Whimsicott is actually the only one setting it up and bring a teammate safely, thanks to Memento or Lagging Tail U-turn. Also, another downside of Switcheroo is that it doesn't do anything against megas. Does it do something great that I am not aware of?
Yeah spdef is nice to tank scalds better but max speed doesn't hurt at all, my bad.
Switcheroo can be really helfpul to steal items such as Eviolite or cripple strong choiced mons. Also, not many mega Pokémon can switch into Whimsicott. In any case, Tailwind is probably better on most situations yeah, but Switcheroo should definetly be an option(maybe slashed after Taunt). n_n

Poek

squadala
Big Chungus Winner
Yeah spdef is nice to tank scalds better but max speed doesn't hurt at all, my bad.
Switcheroo can be really helfpul to steal items such as Eviolite or cripple strong choiced mons. Also, not many mega Pokémon can switch into Whimsicott. In any case, Tailwind is probably better on most situations yeah, but Switcheroo should definetly be an option(maybe slashed after Taunt). n_n
Alright, updated. Also added some moves to OO as it was looking scarce.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
whims' niche is getting off taunts, encores, tailwinds, mementos and shit with focus sash so you can set up with something else safely. ben gay demonstrated the usefulness of this set in one of his spl games. i'm not really sold on a 'support' or 'defensive' set since i feel it can be easily worn down, and is largely outclassed by other grasses in the metagame, like celebi or ferrothorn. i don't even know if a defensive set is worth including, but doesn't really matter.

i like the focus sash set mentioned, but i'm wondering if it should be invested more in bulk instead of speed. the spread ben gay used for his spl team is the spread listed, but i'm wondering if max speed is even necessary. i almost see the argument to outpace taunt thundurus, but even then i'm not sure i'm sold just because of how uncommon it is. although i guess there's no real reason to get nitpicky about the spread since it has a sash anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)